3/11/2010 FtL: "Adventureland"

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's From the Lab, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Is it just me, or did Top decks have more Johnny in it than From the Lab?
More "infinite combo", perhaps. But there's more to Johnny than just that. I think the Worldwake quests are all pretty Johnny.

I've just built a Worldwake Quest for Renewal deck that can do some crazy things including some infinite combos, though, so have a look:

4 Ruin Ghost
3 Tideforce Elemental
3 Stone-Seeder Hierophant (the casual version of Lotus Cobra - she's even better than LC with a Rav karoo)
2 Fatestitcher
1 Tidewater Minion
1 Skyward Eye Prophets
1 Greenweaver Druid
1 Mangara of Corondor
1 Turntimber Basilisk
2 Prodigal Sorcerer
1 Fledgling Mawcor
2 Selesnya Guildmage (an awesome sink for all the extra mana)
2 Utopia Tree (should be Noble Hierarch but I don't have them)

3 Quest for Renewal
1 Sylvan Scrying (could be Expedition Map)
2 Thousand-Year Elixir
1 Ocular Halo
2 Sprout Swarm
1 Marshal's Anthem
2 Oblivion Ring

3 Azorius Chancery
1 Selesnya Sanctuary
1 Seijiri Steppe
1 Kabira Crossroads
2 Halimar Depths
2 Khalni Garden
3 Seaside Citadel
1 Vitu-Ghazi, the City Tree
6 Forest
2 Island
2 Plains

The core combo is Ruin Ghost + Tideforce Elemental. This gives you : landfall with a Plains or Island, or : re-trigger your ETB lands. But if you add a Stone-Seeder Hierophant or two, it becomes infinite landfall: i.e. infinite life with Kabira Crossroads or infinite Plants with Khalni Garden. (Selesnya Guildmage or Marshal's Anthem can help the infinite army of 0/1s actually kill someone.) If you assume you have an Azorius Chancery in play as well as the Plains or Island you're flickering, then that gives you infinite mana, which is good with Sprout Swarm or Selesnya Guildmage. The deck can also make infinite Saprolings with Vitu-Ghazi, and assorted other combos. Amulet of Vigor would also really help the deck go infinite a lot more, but I haven't picked up any of them yet.

Having an untapped Ruin Ghost and Seijiri Steppe is like having Mother of Runes. With a Tideforce Elemental and Hierophant as well, it's like having a Mother of Runes with : Untap... and with two Hierophants, it's like all your creatures are Iridescent Angels.

Quest for Renewal doesn't actually help any of those combos (though all the tapping means it gets turned on immediately), but it's good for letting you using Sprout Swarm, Selesnya Guildmage or Vitu-Ghazi on both players' turns if you don't actually go infinite. The Tidewater Minion and Fatestitchers can be used (among other things) to pretend Quest for Renewal is a full Seedborn Muse by untapping your land (as well as turning it on instantly by targetting themselves four times).
I'm surprized that u left Ponders out of the Deep sea Beasties, it combos well with treasure hunt and Ula's Temple. 
Is it just me, or did Top decks have more Johnny in it than From the Lab?

It's not just you.

Also, Building on a Budget had more Johnny in it. Which is a fairly common occurrence since the Sliver Kid started writing BoaB.
A couple of thoughts on Quest for Ula's Temple:
1. Although I appreciate that you built a standard deck skewed toward a Jund-heavy metagame, I wish that you had gone Extended with this one because Grozoth just seems like a natural fit for the Quest.
2. Since it plops a dude into play at the end of each end step, it seems like mirrored, Aether Tradewinds-style bounce would work wonderfully.