3/11/2010 TD: "Alleged Adventures in Archetypes"

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Top Decks, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
There's so many fun decks in this list.
Seeing Chandra Ablaze finally put in work somewhere is really cool, and the pestermite fae looks like a blast to play.

I am a "Search" fan and the Primal into House Guard is pretty crazy.  I never would have tried that.  (Mana seems a bit insane, but) I guess it works.

By the way, nice spread, Mike.  Enjoyed this article a lot.

And yeah, it really is like a mutation.:-)

I would have done that because I've played House Guard in mutiple EDH decks, Worldly Tutor for another Tutor is one of my favorite plays. Seeing it in extended is pretty cool though.
Didn't he promise us a new River of Tears deck?  I don't see River of Tears in any of those decks at all.
Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
the living end combo is neat but so easy to disrupt i don't expect it to stick around much longer.

i don't think he's suggesting that it's new, but i just wanted to point out that the pestermite/kiki-jiki combo has been around for awhile. some people include it in their cubes.

and i want to say that i really hate when people say something is sexy when it doesn''t actually involve attractive people or sex. unless you actually became physically aroused, i think you should find another word to use. just a pet peeve of mine.

I am a "Search" fan and the Primal into House Guard is pretty crazy.  I never would have tried that.  (Mana seems a bit insane, but) I guess it works.

By the way, nice spread, Mike.  Enjoyed this article a lot.

And yeah, it really is like a mutation.:-)

What I think is my best casual multiplayer deck is called House Guard Rock. It uses Dimir House Guard tu tutor for Damnation, specialized removal, Syphon Mind and various green threats. I even play a Diabolic Tutor to have House Guard find me any card. I've never thought about playing my Primal Commands in there; instead they sit in a somewhat boring elementals deck I seldom play... What was I thinking! I'm gonna find room for them in my Rock deck as soon as possible.

Magic The Gathering DCI Lvl 1 Judge Don't hesitate to post rules question in the Rules Q&A forum for me and other competent advisors to answer : http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75842/134778/Rules_Q38A
I'm a big fan of the Living End deck simply because its base is incredibly cheap- a bunch of common cycling creatures and a cheap rare. Take that base, throw in whatever hate/support you happen to have in your collection, and you have a serviceable deck for local Extended tournaments.
As a side note, I wonder when the Avengers of Zendikar are brought in from the sideboard of Ryan Mochal's Valakut deck? It made me happy to see them, and I'd like to know how they're used.
the living end combo is neat but so easy to disrupt i don't expect it to stick around much longer.

i don't think he's suggesting that it's new, but i just wanted to point out that the pestermite/kiki-jiki combo has been around for awhile. some people include it in their cubes.

I've seen it online a lot in the last couple of years too. I don't actually remember the last time I saw Kiki-Jiki and Sky Hussar together.

and i want to say that i really hate when people say something is sexy when it doesn''t actually involve attractive people or sex. unless you actually became physically aroused, i think you should find another word to use. just a pet peeve of mine.

Same here, same here...it's alaways a little embarrassing to me to hear or see people use that term in reference to Magic cards, as if to say they have forgotten what "sexy" even means.