PEACH paladin polearm-build

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am supposed to make a defender for a game that currently is in early paragon (lvl 13). Reading about polearm-abuse made me really want to use that, and thanks to help from SanityFaerie in the modularity thread (community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...) i got something worked out. I decided to make a separate thread as to not hijack the modularity one

Show
Shi, level 13
Half-Elf, Paladin, Polearm Master
Eldritch Strike: Eldritch Strike Charisma
Background: Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 15, Con 13, Dex 15, Int 9, Wis 16, Cha 21.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 14, Con 10, Dex 13, Int 8, Wis 14, Cha 16.

AC: 29 Fort: 22 Reflex: 22 Will: 25
HP: 108 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 27

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +10, Endurance +10, Insight +16, Diplomacy +18, Athletics +11

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +6, Arcana +5, Bluff +11, Dungeoneering +9, Heal +9, History +5, Intimidate +11, Nature +9, Perception +9, Stealth +6, Streetwise +11, Thievery +6

FEATS
Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Greatspear)
Level 2: Mark of Warding
Level 4: Battle Awareness
Level 6: Group Defense
Level 8: Durable (retrained to Impaling Spear at Level 12)
Level 10: Human Perseverance (retrained to Versatile Master at Level 11)
Level 11: Polearm Momentum
Level 12: Polearm Gamble
Feat User Choice: Focused Expertise (Greatspear)

POWERS
Dilettante: Eldritch Strike
Lay on Hands: Ardent Vow
Paladin at-will 1: Enfeebling Strike
Paladin at-will 1: Virtuous Strike
Paladin encounter 1: Valorous Smite
Paladin daily 1: Majestic Halo
Paladin utility 2: Call of Challenge
Paladin encounter 3: Righteous Smite
Paladin daily 5: Name of Might
Paladin utility 6: Wrath of the Gods
Paladin encounter 7: Price of Cowardice
Paladin daily 9: Crown of Glory
Paladin utility 10: Winter's Arrival
Paladin encounter 13: Castigating Strike (replaces Righteous Smite)

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Magic Greatspear +3, Magic Gith Plate Armor +3, Amulet of Protection +3

As you see, my DM gives us expertise for free. Items and equipment are decided by him aswell, i just added some plain magic items to show attack/defences.

Please post any feedback that you might have, nothing in this build is really set in stone (except the polearm part).

I also have some questions that somebody might feel like answering:
- the PP Polearm Master seems all right, but the 11 and 20 powers are strength-based. Any way i can do something about this? Any other suggestions for a PP?
- does mark of warding increase the bonus from group defense to allies? Mark of warding says it only affects powers, so for me it seems like a no.
- any advice on equipment? I could add some gear that boosts my charging-damage, since this build seems like it would be decent at charging. Also, is rushing cleats worth it to go from slide 2 to slide 3?
- where to go next. It seems like i can pick up frostcheese pretty soon. White lotus master riposte would also be nice, although it would require three feats and background.
- should i worry about my defenses?

- First, it's worth noting that Mark of Warding (like all dragonmarks) is Eberron only.  Make sure that your DM is cool with you using Eberron resources before you take it.

- Windrise Ports is Forgotten Realms only, so in order to take that, you'll need the DM to be okay with use of FR resources.

- For defenses, your will is fine, the platemail takes care of your AC, and you pretty much learn to live with the fact that your ref and fort will suffer.
Sign In to post comments