3/10/2010 StF: "Creative Ventures"

24 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Savor the Flavor, which goes live Wednesday on magicthegathering.com.

Answers for scavenger hunt (hopefully):

1.) Seer's Sundial -
The Journal of Javad Nasrin
Wednesday, October 14, 2009

2.) Red -
Worlds Beyond Our Own
Wednesday, November 18, 2009

3.) Heraclitus -
Monument to a Lost Age
Wednesday, September 16, 2009

4.) Nissa Revane on Groundswell

5.) Goma Fada -
A Planeswalker’s Guide to Zendikar: Akoum
Wednesday, January 13, 2010

1. Which Worldwake card was alluded to in the journal of an adventurer, months before the set released?

-A: Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs: "The Kazuul Road provides the easiest access into Murasa. But Kazuul, an ogre slavemaster, controls the route and demands tribute from any explorer who tries to enter the continent."

2. In a discussion of everyday spellcraft, which color did I suggest would have magic useful for spa treatments?

-A: RED: "Spa treatments (Imagine a vat full of helpful mud elementals.)"

3. Which ancient Greek philosopher did I paraphrase during an early mention of the Roil?

-A: Heraclitus: Heraclitus once said that you can never step in the same river twice—the river's waters and borders change, so the river is not the same when you step into it again.

4. Which non-Jace planeswalker shows up in the art of a Worldwake card (and which card is it)?

-A: Groundswell Nissa Revane

5. What is also known as the City That Walks?

-A: The Goma Fada Caravan: "By far the strangest city in the region is not a traditional city at all. Goma Fada, literally "The City that Walks," is an enormous caravan of wandering kor, humans, and a few elves that moves at a slow pace through Akoum."

Edit: I believe my #1 is wrong, as it's not from a journal. Oh Well, not bad seeing as how I don't actually read STF Embarassed

I almost said Kazuul, actually. And I'm not positive mine is right, either, but it looks pretty right. STF is my favourite column though and I always make sure to get on right at updates to catch it. Hopefully it pays off. Smile
For sure! I think it took me about 6 minutes to find the Heraclitus paraphrase :F I was looking for quotations unfortunately... Good job mate, on knowing your columns!
The deviantart anime versions of magic art are a disgrace.
1. Seer's Sundial
www.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/Article.a...

2. Red
www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.a...

3. Heraclitus
"Heraclitus once said that you can never step in the same river twice—the river's waters and borders change,"
www.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/Article.a...

4. Nissa Revane
Groundswell

5. Goma Fada
www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.a...
Daw nuts.
Gotta be quicker on the draw.

While art's highly subjective and all that, the fact that they're all in the exact same pose as their original cards bores me to tears.

Wow, I wish I'd read last week's article. I was too busy having fun making these:

chandraposterbox jaceposterbox

bolasposterbox jacenovelbox chandranovelbox

The artwork I used are the official prints from booster box mini posters, intro pack guides, and sample novel chapters from fatpacks. Most people throw that art in the garbage and so far I haven't had any luck getting more from other players. It seems that one player's trash is another player's art...

That's actually pretty cool. My wife and I just hang our fat pack art up in our game room like posters. I may like your idea better. Smile
I think I remember an Arcana saying that Chandra Nalar is in the focal point of the art of Pyromancer's Ascension.  I didn't get any of the other ones.  Props to the smart people!
My answers:

1) Quag Vampires (mentioned in the Sept. 9th article)
2) Red
3) Heraclitus
4) Nissa Revane, Groundswell
5) The Gama Fada Caravan
Need a custom mini for your Roleplying Game, or just because? PM me with the details or check out my Custom Thread. ARCTrooper-A79s Custom Thread The Reverend Strone Project (Custom Set) We make the minis now.
1. Slavering Nulls (www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a... after ruins of a lost civilization)

2. Red

3. Heraclitus

4. Nissa Revane on Groundswell

5. Goma Fada

1.) Halimar depths -
The journal of Chadir the Navigator
Wednesday, September 09, 2009

2.) Red -
Worlds Beyond Our Own
Wednesday, November 18, 2009

3.) Heraclitus -
Monument to a Lost Age
Wednesday, September 16, 2009

4.) Nissa Revane on Groundswell

5.) Goma Fada -
A Planeswalker’s Guide to Zendikar: Akoum
Wednesday, January 13, 2010
Bazaar Trader
Wednesday, December 16, 2009

"At first I thought I had gotten some kind of screaming deal. The Grotag merchant just handed me the reins and left—forgot to take any kind of payment. My lucky day, I thought: a three-ton geopede, Grotag-tamed, for nothin'. Then I realized I wasn't holding reins, but just some residual entrails hanging from its mouth, the remnants of its last meal. It started thrashing, of course, and nearly took my arm off—and then it nearly killed my whole expedition. Then I understood why the goblin made me agree to 'no refunds.'" 
—Mitra, Bala Ged missionary 

Red

Heraclitus

Goma Fada 
These creative outpurings are very cool! But I can't imagine they're all you got, Doug -- any chance you'll post more of them in a later column?
I'm pretty sure the first guy got it right, *sigh* no book for me I guess. 
These humans, their imaginations are strong. Kill a thousand men and they will hate you. Kill a million men and they will queue to face you. But kill a single man and they will see monsters and devils in every shadow. Kill a dozen men and they will scream and wail in the night, and they shall feel not hatred, but fear. Excerpt from Simon Spurrier's Lord of the Night
Congrats to Hornicane, winner of the Scavenger Hunt (and speedy typist)! Thanks to everyone for reading and participating. I have a few more copies of Alara Unbroken laying around, so maybe I'll do something like this again sometime.
-Doug

Blasphemy! :P
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
57170308 wrote:
If they feel blue should be shot in the foot, taken out back and beaten, then with hands tied behind it's back kicked in the groin, then told to swim a 100 meters with concrete shoes, why not just take it to the marshes and finish it off?

Daw nuts.

While art's highly subjective and all that, the fact that they're all in the exact same pose as their original cards bores me to tears.

I find that is a very rude way to put it. You may not like the art, but someone worked hard for that. Yes, I'll admit I do like them, but you could have at lest been polite when saying why you don't like it.

Daw nuts.

I find that is a very rude way to put it. You may not like the art, but someone worked hard for that. Yes, I'll admit I do like them, but you could have at lest been polite when saying why you don't like it.

I agree. I liked some of the work in that set a lot and didn't like others. But art does take a lot of work, even in styles you may not like. If you're not fond of something, there's a better way to say it than "This is a disgrace."

And if you think those are bad, you've not seen the worst of dA fanart by a long shot...

Daw nuts.

I agree. I liked some of the work in that set a lot and didn't like others. But art does take a lot of work, even in styles you may not like. If you're not fond of something, there's a better way to say it than "This is a disgrace."

And if you think those are bad, you've not seen the worst of dA fanart by a long shot...

Good Point, man. I don't like it when people don't give their reasons why they don't like somthing or just insault the work. Or both. I found the anime style of the drawer on the article to be awsome. Of coruse the poses are the same, it's ment to copy the card.
I wasn't as fond of the Sorin. I thought it was cropped too closely and that the colors were a little bit murky. I really liked the Jace and thought it did a good job of both looking like him and changing the style in a neat way.

And I thought the anime!Homunculi in the other one were adorably weird-looking.
I wasn't as fond of the Sorin. I thought it was cropped too closely and that the colors were a little bit murky. I really liked the Jace and thought it did a good job of both looking like him and changing the style in a neat way.

And I thought the anime!Homunculi in the other one were adorably weird-looking.

That's why I like it. They are both cute and kinda wird. I found that he merges the two seemlessly.
Sign In to post comments