A Petition to Augment the Player Reward Card System

19 posts / 0 new
Last post

Well met all!

I would like to petition for the RPGA to set a practice of encouraging convention distribution of Player Reward Cards for attendance at seminars having to deal with becoming a better Dungeon Master.

One thing that we can all agree on in the RPGA is that DM'ing is something that requires a lot of work. It is also something that we can always improve upon.

As an organization we give away these reward cards at conventions already. Some ways I have seen include rewarding DM's for running games, playing in a dungeon delve, or simply attending the con. Each of these ways has merits, however none of them truely help us as an organization to foster better play experience to the extent that education seminars would. The more tools that a DM acquires allows for a different kind of learning experience and seminars are one good place to pick up those tools.  

When I look around at DM seminars I see similar people. I see individuals that have already been DMing and are trying to be a better DM. They are their because they like to DM and feel it is important and are willing to sacrafice play time at a con to become better. I think the RPGA should reward those members for their continued interest in being a better DM for the RPGA. I also think this is makes a good avenue to attract newer DM's to these seminars where the tools they learn help the RPGA to be a more fun experience.

For each member that learns something new on how to better DM, many times more RPGA players get to benefit from a more fun play experience when that person DMs for them. I think this is something the RPGA should suggest to be directly rewarded among the membership.

That actually sounds like a pretty decent idea to me and I don't just say that because I DM a lot.
It's not a bad idea.  I suspect that you only see seminars like that at the very biggest conventions (e.g., GenCon, Origins, DDXP), but there's no reason not to give RPGA DMs who attend those conventions an extra incentive to attend those sorts of seminars.
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"

Dont hold your breathe, I ran 15 slots at gencon, 8 at ddxp, and some how i was 'skiped' when they sent out the new dm rewards, that gave away the condition cards and the dark sun box. Even with 2 weeks of active customer support, all they said was, wait another week, wait another week, finally, oh ya sorry we didnt send u any, oh btw were out of stock now. Just shows how much they really care about people. Ive ran probally 50+ games last year, and  my local friends i know got the shaft too.

GenCon and DDXP have not been booked. Regardless, friends around here are just receiving the condition cards and boxes as we speak and I haven't gotten mine either (I got Hommlet months after the others without me even bugging CS).

I am still one point behind on the 5 points I need... I don't DM - or play - a lot (and the delve doesn't count).
Not that I care much for a Darksun carton.
But I'll have to plan to DM again for next time.

Gomez,
who thinks admins should get points for admining... Tymora knows we are spending enough time on it.

Dont hold your breathe, I ran 15 slots at gencon, 8 at ddxp, and some how i was 'skiped' when they sent out the new dm rewards, that gave away the condition cards and the dark sun box. Even with 2 weeks of active customer support, all they said was, wait another week, wait another week, finally, oh ya sorry we didnt send u any, oh btw were out of stock now. Just shows how much they really care about people. Ive ran probally 50+ games last year, and  my local friends i know got the shaft too.

If you will be at Gen Con I can give you my pack of Condition Cards. Sorry to hear some people are getting skipped. Strange. Anyway, if you will be at Gen Con just PM me when we are getting close and we can set up a time to meet.

On the OP, to me the biggest issue is that these seminars often run when there are tables in play. Attendance suffers when everyone has to choose. The con itself has a conflict. Podcasting helps, as people can catch the seminars later, though it can mean pretty empty rooms.

Rewards might draw some players to the seminars, but they might still prefer to play.

It would be really cool to see short seminars run between slots, maybe even with the convention center or organizer providing food for sale (more money for them!).

I like your idea... I just don't know it is enough. And, it may be hard to gauge how many reward cards should be provided. Say a small convention wants to request a support pack... what should that entail? 100 cards? 10?

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

On the OP, to me the biggest issue is that these seminars often run when there are tables in play.

Yeah, that's been my issue with seminars, as well.  I've gone to a couple of RPGA members' meetings, at GenCon and Winter Fantasy, though those were usually scheduled in a way that they didn't conflict with actual game slots.  I don't think I've ever been to an actual seminar, because it'd almost always mean a slot lost to gaming (or DMing), and that's why I'm at the con in the first place. Smile
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"
I would like to petition for the RPGA to set a practice of encouraging convention distribution of Player Reward Cards for attendance at seminars having to deal with becoming a better Dungeon Master.

Who would be putting on these seminars?  Only the big shows?

I've run a couple of DMing seminars myself at local gamedays.  Would that count?

I have not received any DM rewards either so don't feel bad. You figure the one person who would find it easy to get a set would have one.

We give really great rewards at big shows because there are often reporting issues with those shows. So you might not have gotten the DM reward package but I doubt you went away empty handed and broke.

Dave C
Official Somebody Nobody
This is the second time I've been skipped.  I got Village of Hommlet 3 months late (after a reprinting).  Got the ship tiles on time, though.  I guess it's time to ask CustServ for this batch of rewards.

"Edison didn't succeed the first time he invented Benjamin Franklin, either." Albert the Alligator, Walt Kelly's Pogo Sunday Book  
The Core Coliseum: test out your 4e builds and fight to the death.

I got the D&D Encounters stuff yesterday. There are some cards that allow you to re-roll a saving throw. I would like to have some of those for LFR.
I had the reward points for the ship tiles and never got them... only DM'd once between that and the latest one.  But i got the current one.  Go figure.  (although I could care less about the ship tiles)
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
Oh heck no, I had a blast at both conventions and wouldnt trade the experence for anything in the world. I was treated very nice =) ^^

btw when are Origin Judge Sign ups going to be up on your website Dave?
Oh heck no, I had a blast at both conventions and wouldnt trade the experence for anything in the world. I was treated very nice =) ^^

btw when are Origin Judge Sign ups going to be up on your website Dave?

One might note that I recently made and stickied posts for Origins and GenCon in the RPGA Conventions forum above this one.

One might assume this to be foreshadowing of things coming soon.  ;)
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

One might assume this to be foreshadowing of things coming soon.  ;)

Or you were sitting around, bored, with nothign else better to do than make new threads. 

Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
Yeah, that's been my issue with seminars, as well.  I've gone to a couple of RPGA members' meetings, at GenCon and Winter Fantasy, though those were usually scheduled in a way that they didn't conflict with actual game slots.  I don't think I've ever been to an actual seminar, because it'd almost always mean a slot lost to gaming (or DMing), and that's why I'm at the con in the first place.

You then are one of the people that should be rewarded directly for attending. You go to the con to DM or play. You aren't DM'ing that slot and so you could play instead. If you decide to not play the slot to instead go to a seminar on DM Tools, the con the RPGA is supporting could reward you with a Player Reward Card for attending the seminar.

The RPGA really only has to do two simple things to do this. Encourage the practice at major cons by having the Player Reward Cards available at the seminars and to have an option on con support requests for a few extra cards if the con runs seminars on DM'ing.

FWIW - At DDXP'09 Seminar attendees had a shot at earning a free four-day pass to GenCon.  A pass was given away at each of the three or four seminars during the show.

Since seminars run during game slots, this was a deliberate attempt to get people to attend more of the seminars, as well as to reward people who simply had "nothing else to do this slot" - and chose to sit in instead of merely going back to their rooms for a few hours.  

I'm not aware of anything being given away during seminars at DDXP'10, but then, there were more seminars, and higher attendance (both to the show AND the seminars) so the "carrot" may not have been needed. 
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

I'm not aware of anything being given away during seminars at DDXP'10, but then, there were more seminars, and higher attendance (both to the show AND the seminars) so the "carrot" may not have been needed. 

I think it is less about the carrot being needed to draw attendence and more about the RPGA putting an importance on being a better DM.
Sign In to post comments