Dragon 385 - The Kalashtar: Power of the Mind

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
DnDi_Large.png   Dragon 385
Power of the Mind: The Kalashtar
By Keith Baker

In today's Dragon article, Kalashtar get a much-needed fluff article to expand upon their write-up in the Eberron Player's Guide.  It also includes some new racial feats and backgrounds for the Kalashtar, as well as possible origins for Kalashtar in non-Eberron settings.

She might have been an angel, fallen from Syrania to land on the streets of Sharn. Any sculptor would sell his soul to capture her features in stone. But Callestan was no place for an angel, and Norger had defaced many a statue in his day. Norger struck as she passed the mouth of the alley, pulling her into the shadows. He pinned her with one rough motion, the point of his knife bringing a spot of blood to her snow-white skin. “Give me what I want, and you just might live,” he whispered.

Talk about this article here.

385_kalashtar.jpg

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

Is it really a fluff article if it gives mechanical things like feats?
Depends on the fluff-to-crunch ratio of the article. Having looked over it, there is certainly more Fluff than there is crunch, both on the race itself, and how to use them outside of Eberron.
There is essentially one page of crunch, as opposed to about six pages of fluff.  It's a fluff article, and very useful since Kalashtar had a completely inadequate write-up in the EPG that only worked if you were acquainted with the race already.  It really failed to capture a sense of the race, and this article greatly rectifies that.

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

I agree with Marandahir: this was a much needed and well written substantive article detailling the Kalashtar (although frankly I need to read it again: it was quite convoluted concerning different types of Kalashtar spirits et cetera).

The mechanical bits were sparse, but if there had been more then the story might have been condensed, and I am happier with the in depth explanation. Perhaps next month, there will be a follow up article with more feats, items and other mechanical goodies.
Member of Grognards for 4th Edition