The Incredible Nightcrawler (198/264 autodamage)

35 posts / 0 new
Last post

"In the Munich Circus, they called me the Incredible Nightcrawler!"

Nightcrawler

An Arcane Slasher build.  The differences with this character are based on ideas in the Arcane Slasher thread(see my sig).  Credit goes to Melos for pointing out the Staff of the Traveller, Nox_Noctis for his ongoing work on shifts, and everyone else who has contributed to the Slasher.

The gist of it:  there is a new staff in the PHB3 called the Staff of the Traveller.  This staff allows you to replace your shifts with teleports.
There is also a race that lets you shift as a minor action.  You guessed it, it's the kobolds.
Combine these two items with a basic Arcane Slasher using the Long Night Scion paragon path, and you have a recipe for awesome.  We end up doing 198/264(after a milestone) auto-damage each turn.

The schtick:
Setup: as with the arcane slasher, use quickcurse rods with a rod of starlight to apply radiant vulnerability to the target.  Bloodied boon doubles the rounds we get to have this vulnerability on target, so we'll assume we always have it.  One teleport activates Winter Winds, which slows our target, which activates Vicious Advantage(PHB3 feat) that gives us combat advantage.  Easy as pie.
Minor: Shifty, replace with a teleport, split it with planestrider boots, which triggers a slash(winter winds damage+radiant one+vulnerability damage).
Move: Shifty again, slash again.
Standard: Shifty again, slash again.
Minor(after a milestone): Shifty again, slash again.

Damage calculations are simplicity itself:
8(winter winds)+8(radiant one)+7(pelor's sun blessing)+5(starlight)+5(symbol of divine light)=33 damage per slash 
DPR before milestone:
33*6=198
DPR after milestone:
33*8=264 

Level 30 build

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======

level 30

Kobold, Warlock, Long Night Scion, Radiant One

Arcane Implement Proficiency: Arcane Implement Proficiency (Staff)

Eldritch Pact: Fey Pact

Eldritch Strike: Eldritch Strike Constitution

Twofold Pact: Infernal Pact

FINAL ABILITY SCORES

Str 12, Con 24, Dex 14, Int 26, Wis 13, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

Str 10, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 18, Wis 11, Cha 8.

AC: 42 Fort: 35 Reflex: 33 Will: 27

HP: 183 Surges: 14 Surge Value: 45

TRAINED SKILLS

Religion +27

UNTRAINED SKILLS

Acrobatics +16, Arcana +22, Bluff +15, Diplomacy +15, Dungeoneering +16, Endurance +22, Heal +16, History +22, Insight +16, Intimidate +15, Nature +16, Perception +16, Stealth +18, Streetwise +15, Thievery +18, Athletics +15

FEATS

Level 1: Arcane Implement Proficiency

Level 2: Arcane Familiar (hand)

Level 4: Vicious Advantage (PHB3)

Level 6: Bloodied Boon
Level 11: Twofold Pact

Level 26: Mark of Passage

Level 28: Initiate of the Faith

POWERS

Eldritch Blast: Eldritch Blast (retrained to Eldritch Strike at Level 2)

ITEMS

Staff of the Traveller +6 (PHB3)

Ring of Free Time

Planestrider Boots

Pelor's Sun Blessing (level 3)

Symbol of Divine Light +4

Quickcurse Rod +1 (10)

Rod of Starlight +2

====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Note that while this character uses a Monster Manual race(kobold) and an Eberron feat(Mark of Passage), those are the only two sketchy aspects of the entire build.
Meanwhile, there are a load of other advantages:
--We have only chosen 7 items and 7 feats.  Everything else is open.
--We haven't made a single attack roll.  All damage dealt is automatic, and only creatures with resistance to cold or radiant will take less as long as Nightcrawler is able to teleport.
--Slashes deal area damage.  We aren't just killing our target, we are hashing up any enemies close to it as well.
--Nightcrawler is a fully-functional Con-lock.  Dead minions trigger more slashes with misty step, or temp hp if we prefer.  We have daily and encounter powers we can use in emergencies.  And so on.

There are ways to replace the Mark of Passage (like Great Cat Armor), and to swap out the race, but this is the best way to produce pure autodamage, and kobolds are hilarious.

PEACH 

**NOTE: The purpose of this build is to optimize the concept for high autodamage with as minimal an investment as is reasonable.  I intentionally left out Shadowrift blades, white lotus evasion, etc. in order to have a build that doesn't need to hit.
Regardless, until I decide how much of the Staff of the Traveller shift stuff to incorporate into the Arcane Slasher, this is a good place to discuss it. 
You can MC or Hybrid Druid to get Wild Shape, which lets you shift when you change to humanoid form.  Quick Wild Shape makes it a free action.  Agile Form and Pouncing Beast Armor will let you shift twice when you change to beast form.  Druid also gives you use of a staff as an implement.
Unglaublich!

( Wink )
so this totals:
kobols minor shift 1 -> teleport 2
free every other round change into beast form: Pounding beast armor shift 1 -> teleport 2, Agile form shift 1 -> teleport 2
free every other round change into human form: wild shape shift 1 -> teleport 2
move action shift 1 -> teleport 2
standard shift 1 -> teleport 2

total = 8-10 teleports * 33/slash = 264 - 330 auto damage

We have the final sleep ki focus which lets us shift 1 after killing something as a property.

The rest of the party uses whistle of warning to let you destroy everything in sight.

Just realized that the planestrider boots only trigger with teleportattion powers, and not just any old teleport.  Most of these don't have the teleport keyword, so boots of adept charging become a viable option.

Get a lucky charm for your famaliar and you can teleport(shift) when an attack misses you.

If you're a swordmage you have luring strike, which I believe lets you shift

There's the fighter quicksilver stance(level 25 daily) that lets you shift some and make a MBA as a move action.

if you're wanting to pull off some of this before you can aford the planestrider boots here are some other feet slot items: floorfighter straps(level 15) which let you shift while prone and can shift 1 when you stand up. Combine this with the agile recovery and you can stand up as a minor.  Falling prone is a free action, so we imitate kobold shift 1 with an at-will utility and a feet slot item.

Reaper's axe let's us shift 1 and make a MBA when we kill something.  This item seems like it would be most helpful.

Just remembered the fighter power that lets you shift around anyone as a move action.
torc of fortune lets us shift when we save.
DPR King Candidates 3.0
How much damage should I shoot for?
You're fired : 1 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .2 KPR Fair Striker : 2 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .4 KPR Highly Optimized : 3 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .6 KPR Nerfbat please : 4 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .8 KPR It's OVER 9000!!!!!: 5 Kills Per 5 Rounds = 1+ KPR
DPR? KPR? KP4R? Bless you
DPR = Damage Per round ~= Chance to hit * damage on a hit KPR = Kills Per Round. 1 Kill = 8*Level+24 damage = DPR/(8*level+24) KPNR = Kills Per N Rounds. How many standards can you kill in N rounds?
  Falling prone is a free action

No, it's a minor.
  Falling prone is a free action

No, it's a minor.

thank you for the correction.
DPR King Candidates 3.0
You're fired : 1 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .2 KPR Fair Striker : 2 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .4 KPR Highly Optimized : 3 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .6 KPR Nerfbat please : 4 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .8 KPR It's OVER 9000!!!!!: 5 Kills Per 5 Rounds = 1+ KPR
DPR = Damage Per round ~= Chance to hit * damage on a hit KPR = Kills Per Round. 1 Kill = 8*Level+24 damage = DPR/(8*level+24) KPNR = Kills Per N Rounds. How many standards can you kill in N rounds?

Isn't there also a new Epic feat that lets you add 1 to every shift you make?  It's an alternative/addition to Mark of Passage, not that the build needs it.

First off- +1 for the name.  Second- *Golf Clap*
Ridiculous.  And AWESOME. 
A note to all who think I am being aggressive or angry- 99% of the time, I do not intend to be. I apologize if you think I am attacking you, odds are very strong that I am not. The only exceptions are when people become extremely uncivil to me, and even then I usually ignore them. I think it is very obvious when I am really mad; if I just seem generally abrasive, it is a reflection of my thought process rather than a state of emotion. I have the greatest respect for those who can debate rationally, even if we come to different conclusions. I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
How exactly are you a fully functional Feylock? You dumped Charisma to the floor...
How exactly are you a fully functional Feylock? You dumped Charisma to the floor...

He isn't. -_-

Also, that it relies on Quickcurse Rods is a little annoying. I think that's why I respect the Paladin| version so much more. Quickcurse Rods were never meant to be used en masse, much like Salves of Power and Diamond Cinctures and old Veteran's Armor were never meant to be used how they were used.

Which brings me to my next point: the Paladin|Warlock loses some Constitution-based damage but uses Charisma, making the on-pact Warlock powers useful (something this build cannot achieve until Paragon and Twofold Pact). Moreover, it attains vulnerability more consistently and with less obvious abuse (a sack full of quickcurse rods), and even gets more vulnerability by 2 points to make up for the lower Constitution modifier to radiant damage vs. vulnerability.

I don't mean to bash, but it can be done better, and Quickcurse Rods really are ridiculous. It's hard to take seriously digging out ten different rods from your bag, firing them off, and putting them back, and then taking your regular actions in the space of the turn, regardless of what the rules say about it. And given precedent (Veteran's Armor, Salve of Power, Diamond Cincture), I don't expect it to work this way forever. I hope they catch it in the May errata.

Until then, from a RAW standpoint, I suppose it works - I even showed a Con/Int version in the Arcane Slasher thread to work (I never claimed it to support powers it doesn't though).

As a point of etiquette, you should probably cite/recognize your sources in the Arcane Slasher thread, as almost all of it is from there. *Cough*
If you have high enough defenses, would rogue lv22 utility Somersault Dodge can provide some extra damage to this build?

He isn't. -_-

Indeed not, that was an error.
I threw this up really quickly before I had to go, so I didn't take much time to proofread it, I'm afraid.

Also, that it relies on Quickcurse Rods is a little annoying. I think that's why I respect the Paladin| version so much more. Quickcurse Rods were never meant to be used en masse, much like Salves of Power and Diamond Cinctures and old Veteran's Armor were never meant to be used how they were used.
I don't mean to bash, but it can be done better, and Quickcurse Rods really are ridiculous. It's hard to take seriously digging out ten different rods from your bag, firing them off, and putting them back, and then taking your regular actions in the space of the turn, regardless of what the rules say about it. And given precedent (Veteran's Armor, Salve of Power, Diamond Cincture), I don't expect it to work this way forever. I hope they catch it in the May errata.

I understand the feeling about Quickcurse Rods.  My perspective is fourfold:
1.  Many consider hybrids to be just as questionable as using multiple rods.  I have no opinion on the matter as yet, though PHB3 will obviously add some authority to hybrids.
2.  I was a blastificer fan in 3.5e.   I don't mind using multiple quickcurse rods anymore than I minded carrying a bunch of fire-and-forget wands.
3.  The paladin version is much more involved.  Rest assured, I am working on it (have been for a while, tbh.  You just gave me better reasons than I already had).
4.  My goal with this particular build was to see how much pure autodamage I could produce with the kobold method.  As such, I found it felt good to see just how stripped down I could leave the character and still maximize his autodamage.

Which brings me to my next point: the Paladin|Warlock loses some Constitution-based damage but uses Charisma, making the on-pact Warlock powers useful (something this build cannot achieve until Paragon and Twofold Pact). Moreover, it attains vulnerability more consistently and with less obvious abuse (a sack full of quickcurse rods), and even gets more vulnerability by 2 points to make up for the lower Constitution modifier to radiant damage vs. vulnerability.

Aye, the paladin version has a lot to recommend it.  I'm not ignoring it, just haven't gotten there yet.

As a point of etiquette, you should probably cite/recognize your sources in the Arcane Slasher thread, as almost all of it is from there. *Cough*

As I said, I was in a hurry when I threw it up.  I'll get the credits in there when I finish with my shower (which is what I am about to do).
I hope you don't feel like I am trying to claim undue credit.  On the contrary, I regard most of CO as a team effort.

I do apologize for mistakes.  Most of my builds have lots of them.  Wink
Yeah, as a small correction, because it just occurred to me, it is the Ring of Free Time we want, not the Timeless Locket. It occurred to me because I found myself wondering why you did not use multiples (via Many-Fingered Gloves, Mummified Hand, the usual) and then I found the Timeless Locket in the neck section of AV2 and found that it did something much different.

The addition of the Ring of Free Time is genius. If the DM will allow multiples, it's golden. It is, by default, a set item though. So multiples could be a hard matter for a DM to swallow. 1 is great. More would be better (occupying valid slots).

In fact, using four such rings, you get 8 more teleports each round after a milestone (or 8 more in one turn of an encounter before a milestone).
Your damage would more than double after a milestone.
This may actually be exclusive from the Fey Charge variants. Can Fey Charge builds find a minor action at-will teleport? Ooh.
EDIT: Oh, White Lotus Evasion. Damn. That with the Staff of the Traveler does it for them.* They get even more insane... 1 Shadowrift Blade and 1 Staff of the Traveler on one very potent Paladin|Warlock mc Swordmage mc Fighter or something like that... (EDIT: added below)

Lasting Frost benefits this build a lot as Long Night Scion's Winter Winds deals cold damage (I mentioned that somewhere in the Arcane Slasher thread). It would increase every teleport by 5 damage if you can get it started.

The Fey Charge Corollary: namely, if teleporting is involved, a Fey Charger will do it better.*
Virtuous Strike (Cha)
Cha 16, Int 16 (18), Dex 13 (15), Con 11, something 10, something 8.
Charisma lets you hit with Virtuous Strike, Paladin powers, Warlock powers. Intelligence powers your teleports. Dexterity reaches 17 in time, and Constitution reaches positive, so you can use it for Pelor's Sun Blessing in Epic. It's just a lot weaker (+1 in Epic...). So you have one fewer guaranteed attack due to lacking Aegis but you get to do a lot of damage with your teleports, and with Ring(s) of Free Time, you have a lot of those.
Amusingly, Kobold may begin to equalize thedamage difference because it shifts as a minor action as a power. *There does exist a number of minor actions at which the Kobold will surpass the Eladrin because of this. Of course, if the Fey Charge chooses to be a Reincarnated Champion or something, everything goes to hell eventually.
A fey charger gains 4 teleports from the rings, and has 1 for trying to charge, 4 for every hit (2 unless Rogue can somehow fit in, too), and has 2 from its regular move and minor. That's 15 that we're looking at routinely. The Kobold actually comes quite closing using all of its actions to shift (7 actions: 14 teleports).
Of course, if a fey charger misses, he only can get 2 teleports from each attack (minimum 7 in a round, maximum 15). The Kobold is constant, purely accurate. One more minor action equalizes the builds in terms of teleports. The fey charger gains its lead from high accuracy and on-hit damage (particularly more radiant damage, chances for critical, etc).
(Used: Mobile Warrior, Vistani Knife Fighting, Shadowrift Blade, Planestrider Boots, White Lotus Master Evasion)

And, more than all that, you need 4 level 29 items to close that gap as a Kobold. That's a bit of an issue.

The Kobold Swordmage may be able to do it using Aegis/Riposte and a Shadowrift Blade, Mobile Warrior, Vistani Knife Fighting, and White Lotus Master Evasion.
Move, Minor, Minor2, Minor3, Minor4, Minor5 are all spent on Shifty to teleport 12 times. The Standard is used to attack with Eldritch Strike (here a Swordmage|Warlock because it allows for the Aegis lock and for the fey pact to grab Long Night Scion and benefit from Misty Step via Hybrid Talent). Having a Radiant source is an issue. In any event, on a miss, he teleports twice. On a hit, he teleports 4 times. So he has 14-16 teleports now. And, if he hits, he guarantees either Aegis or Riposte. Aegis adds 2 teleports from the trigger. Riposte does not. Both add 2-4 teleports again. So the Kobold has 14 teleports (miss on first attack), 18 (hit first, riposte: miss), 20 (hit first, riposte: hit/hit first, aegis: miss), or 22 teleports (hit first: aegis: hit). His damage, if he can trigger Radiant somehow, will likely exceed 800 on a round where he hits with both attacks. DPR will be between 450 and who-knows-what.
*There does exist a number of minor actions at which the Kobold will surpass the Eladrin because of this. Of course, if the Fey Charge chooses to be a Reincarnated Champion or something, everything goes to hell eventually.

Radiant one is needed for the Int radiant damage.
DPR King Candidates 3.0
Oh, that is true, I suppose.

I'd be curious to see what having fey charge and a permanent power-based (Planestrider-able) minor action shift power would do that, even at the cost of the Radiant fact (admittedly a lot). I'd figure the Radiant to win out overall but I'd also expect it to come close in some ways.
As you yourself point out in the Arcane Slasher thread, Planestrider boots does not require a power with the teleportation keyword, simply a power used to teleport.

What do you need for the Paladin version? Power of the Sun to inflict radiant vulnerability?

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/23.jpg)

What do you need for the Paladin version? Power of the Sun to inflict radiant vulnerability?

Power of the Sun is the lynchpin of the paladin version, yes.

The key schtick of any Slasher build at this point is twofold:
1. Get more teleports to trigger Slashing Wake/Winter Winds(your "slashes") more.
2. Add damage to Slashing Wake/Winter Winds to make slashes more potent.

The only ways I know of to add damage to slashes are:
1. Radiant One.  Deal intmod radiant damage every time you deal damage.
2. Vulnerability.  Winter Winds deals cold damage, Radiant One adds radiant damage.
All methods I have so far devised to increase slash damage involve either turning up the radiant pressure on the target or increasing intelligence.  Radiant One deals fire AND radiant damage, so in theory adding fire vulnerability would work as well.

The only means I've devised that does not involve paladin to inflict radiant vulnerability involves using a Rod of Starlight(in conjunction with a quickcurse rod to save the minor action).  That only lasts for two turns, though.  Bloodied Boon gets us another two turns when a monster is halfway dead, so 4 turns total, and you'll need a bag full of quickcurse rods to get your full money's worth.  It's not terribly elegant, subject to all sorts of practical caveats, and many people consider a bag of rods to be cheesy.

Power of the Sun+Virtuous Strike both adds more radiant vulnerability(8 at epic versus 5 from an affordable rod of starlight), can be applied more consistently than the rods can, and is easier to use in conjunction with a Symbol of Divine Light(5 more radiant vulnerability and you don't need a multiclass feat to use it).

Unfortunately, the Paladin build is Cha-based so loses damage from Pelor's Sun Blessing and has a harder time making up for damage taken using Shadowrift Blades. 

The key schtick of any Slasher build at this point is twofold:
1. Get more teleports to trigger Slashing Wake/Winter Winds(your "slashes") more.
2. Add damage to Slashing Wake/Winter Winds to make slashes more potent.

The only ways I know of to add damage to slashes are:
1. Radiant One.  Deal intmod radiant damage every time you deal damage.
2. Vulnerability.  Winter Winds deals cold damage, Radiant One adds radiant damage.
All methods I have so far devised to increase slash damage involve either turning up the radiant pressure on the target or increasing intelligence.  Radiant One deals fire AND radiant damage, so in theory adding fire vulnerability would work as well.

On adding fire vulnerability: If you find a way to add a eyes of the vestige attack, the Vestige of Lands Soul adds 5+int mod fire vulnerability (combine with Vestige Mastery to make it available all day).

I'm writing the Assassin Handbook and am looking at some builds that can increase the unfortunately pitiful DPR of the class.
The assassin has an in-built teleport power (Shadow Step) and with two items from the Eldritch Panoply can teleport again as a minor each round.
I thought about using frost cheese and increasing Int (a strange option for an assassin) to get at least four slashes with some bonuses. Do you see any way to improve this build?

I've been reading up on the familiars and I noticed the floating weapon familiar might help this build out a bit. The text says
"Offensive Partner: When you hit an enemy adjacent to
the floating weapon with a weapon attack, you can shift 1 square."
With the Staff of the Traveler and increasing teleport distances combined with planestrider boots, you can easily get an extra two turns out of it. 10 teleports in a round is no joke even if your DM might seriously hate your guts for it.
Very nice.  How soon does the build really start working?
I've been reading up on the familiars and I noticed the floating weapon familiar might help this build out a bit. The text says
"Offensive Partner: When you hit an enemy adjacent to
the floating weapon with a weapon attack, you can shift 1 square."
With the Staff of the Traveler and increasing teleport distances combined with planestrider boots, you can easily get an extra two turns out of it. 10 teleports in a round is no joke even if your DM might seriously hate your guts for it.

That's perfect: right along the lines of White Lotus Master Evasion, except available through the familiar (heroic tier) and stacking! The one drawback is that you need to keep your familiar alive.

For the record:
given any hit with a shadowrift light blade with Staff of the Traveler in the off-hand, you can do:
1 teleport (mobile warrior), 2 teleports (shadowrift, planestrider), 1 teleport (master evasion), 1 teleport (floating weapon) = 5 teleports
On a miss in the same scenario, you will get:
1 teleport (mobile warrior), 1 teleport (vistani knife fighting) = 2 teleports (equal to a Kobold using shifty with the same action)

Obviously it is advantageous to hit, but it's still good to have teleports working in the background on a miss so your action is not wasted.

As teleports-on-hit go up, Kobold also loses value relative to races such as Eladrin (Fey Charge) which get more attacks (and thus more resulting teleports).
For instance, a Paladin|Warlock mc Swordmage mc Fighter or similar would get a guaranteed double-attack (ESA+Fey Charge (Virtuous Strike Arcane At-Will via Power of Arcana), triggering a minimum of 4 teleports and a maximum of 10. That would be on top of 2 teleports using the move and minor action.
If Rogue could somehow fit into this, it would increase to 6-15 teleports through ESA and Fey Charge. And if you hit, the madness continues...
Teleports increase with the addition of the Rings in this build as well. But at the baseline, before milestones, they don't factor in.

The one drawback is that you need to keep your familiar alive.

The Shardbound Familiar (Eberron) feat can help with that.  It gives you an encounter power that lets you reduce damage done to your familiar to 0, and also lets you shift for some more teleport damage.
Nice.

EDIT: Ooh, and the Floating Weapon has an innate bonus to its defenses, making it more resilient already.
If you do the familiar with an avenger build, good luck hitting that thing. You might as well not bother. At level 11, the weapon has 2-3 more AC than a plate-and-shield paladin and it doesn't even do any damage to people. Just keep it out of the way of close bursts (not sure how easy that is)
Grrr. now my mind is turning with thoughts of a (possibly tiefling, but just as possibly something else entirely) assassin/rogue nightcrawler.

hmmm...maybe dragonborn or something str/dex so that I can easily get a 13 str and use chainmail.

anyone know if eladrin chain and mithrendain steel weapon extra teleport sqare stack? :P

dammit. Like I didn't have enough damned builds floating around in my head. :P

seriously though, OP, nice build.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
Pine trees didn't unanimously decide one day that leaves were gauche.
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome

anyone know if eladrin chain and mithrendain steel weapon extra teleport sqare stack? :P

As long as it doesn't specify a bonus type(none do, that I know of) or the resultant distance, they should all stack.  That includes Eladrin Chain, Incisive Dagger, Mithrendain steel weapon, Eladrin Ring of Passage, Ring of Retreat....

And thank you  

As long as it doesn't specify a bonus type(none do, that I know of) or the resultant distance, they should all stack.  That includes Eladrin Chain, Incisive Dagger, Mithrendain steel weapon, Eladrin Ring of Passage, Ring of Retreat....

And thank you  

Thought so. Thanks for the confirmation.

Most excellent.

I was working on a bard/rogue arcane duelist a while back, and I've been thinking about rehashing the basic concept with the use of the assassin. Those items, plus the cloak of translocation, will help greatly, both in that effort, and my curiosity concerning an assassin based nightcrawler build.

also, random thought. Deulists Panache seems like an awesome (flavour wise) feat for any nightcrawler build, so long as that build includes charisma. I really like that feat.

Like I said, too much character building stuff in my head. At the same time as this stuff I'm pondering a halfling monk/rogue, or monk/fighter build. (either longsword or bastard sword, depending on feat starvation and whether or not the build involves power swapping. bastard sword is a waste if all the powers are monk powers.) fighter would open up small warrior's defense, among other things, while rogue would lead to more damage output, and better skill stuff. maybe monk|rogue/fighter. :P

damn character builder...
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome
DoctoBadWolf: I'm looking too at an assassin slasher build. If you come up with anything let me know as I would like to host your build on my Handbook (giving you full credits).

DoctoBadWolf: I'm looking too at an assassin slasher build. If you come up with anything let me know as I would like to host your build on my Handbook (giving you full credits).

I'll keep you posted. I was really hoping for some win in the new article, but right now I'm not seeing much, outside of assassin|monk/rogue, or something like that.

I'll keep building, though, and let you know.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
104340961 wrote:
I don't know if this fits your concept, but for anybody else who's interested:
The high Con pairs well with a Battlemind, and I think a Hybrid or even an actual Battlemind with a simple MC could work. At L7 they get Psionic Speed, which lets them execute an Attack->Shift->Attack->Shift->Attack sequence for 1 PP. That would double the number of Slashes on the Standard Action, and provide some nice attacks just for sh!t and giggles. And you could also exploit Blurred Step, so if anybody wants to shift away from you, you slash him twice as OA. And I guess there should be more powers and feats to mine and optimise on the Battlemind... Laughing

PS: Why not simply two Rings of Free Time ? Or even three, if you buy those L20 Gloves ? ;)

Drunken Monkey Scion

Thought I'd share this build. It twists the original Nightcrawler concept slightly: (1) more built in shift/teleports that are part of encounter/daily powers; (2) introduces two assassin feats to gain access to Warlock's Shadow Walk class feature without need of a hybrid feat; (3) exploits ki-focus triggered teleports that can substitute for Misty Step.

~Most of the daily and encounter powers include one or more shifts as part of the attacks. This means that these shifts are effectively 'free'. Crane Dance (Daily) has four attacks - each with a built in free action shift for 4 teleports (8 considering splitting via boots).
~Shift-teleporting is also triggered when any enemy is reduced to zero hit points by virtue of the Final Sleep ki-focus' property.
~ Being force-moved adjacent to an enemy also grants a free teleport thanks to the Roll with It feat.

Because the shift/teleport is triggered by the ki-focus, rather than the Fey Pact Misty Step, the DS can instead trigger an infernal pact boon that is boosted by the Daughter's Promise feat. As a result, the DS deals 20-25 fire damage (5+1/2 level) to all enemies adjacent to the boon-triggering enemy and the DS gains temporary hit points equal to half its level. Thanks to the Starborn feature of the Epic Destiny,  Daughter's Promise gets boosted by a further 5 damage (Int Bonus) for all targets subjected to Warlock's curse. If the DS already has temp hp's it can shift them to an ally within 3 squares due to the Shared Pact feat.

Due to the Cursed Shadow (Assassin) feat, the DS gains the Shadow Walk class feature and therefore also enjoys free concealment when moving 3+ squares. Combined with Shadow Warlock armor, the DS will have pretty consistent Combat Advantage against enemies.

Relentless Curse and Two-fold Curse mean that the Warlock's Curse will be active most of the time.

The assassin shrouds are a bonus, granting a small amount of damage and can be applied as free actions, thus not interfering with action economy.

With the Protective Hex feat the Drunken Scion mimics a defender by imposing a to hit penalty..

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

** An alternative build might be possible that forgoes radiant damage in favour of multiclassing into fighter for access to Mobile Warrior. If going that route, I'd likely pick up a Shadowrift light blade as the primary weapon with the Staff in the off-hand. The Arcane Implement Proficiency would change to light blades.**

Build follows...

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Drunken Scion, level 30
Kobold, Warlock|Monk, Long Night Scion, Radiant One
Eldritch Pact (Hybrid): Infernal Pact (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlock: Hybrid Warlock Will
Monastic Tradition (Hybrid): Centered Breath (Hybrid)
Hybrid Monk: Hybrid Monk Will
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Staff)
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Ki Focuses)
Hybrid Talent: Warlock Pact Boon
Arcane Implement Proficiency: Arcane Implement Proficiency (Staff)
Twofold Pact: Fey Pact
Background: Windrise Ports (Windrise Ports Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 22, Dex 24, Int 20, Wis 14, Cha 13.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 16, Dex 14, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 11.

AC: 40 Fort: 36 Reflex: 38 Will: 34
HP: 179 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 44

TRAINED SKILLS
Stealth +29, Athletics +20, Acrobatics +27, Religion +25

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +20, Bluff +16, Diplomacy +18, Dungeoneering +17, Endurance +21, Heal +17, History +20, Insight +17, Intimidate +18, Nature +17, Perception +17, Streetwise +16, Thievery +24

FEATS
Level 1: Hafted Defense (retrained to Liberating Teleport at Level 12)
Level 2: Shadow Initiate
Level 4: Alertness (retrained to Daughter's Promises at Level 11)
Level 6: Versatile Expertise
Level 8: Hybrid Talent
Level 10: Arcane Implement Proficiency
Level 11: Twofold Pact
Level 12: Initiate of the Faith
Level 14: Cursed Shadow
Level 16: Twofold Curse
Level 18: Relentless Curse
Level 20: Armor Proficiency (Leather)
Level 21: Shared Pact
Level 22: Protective Hex
Level 24: Bloodied Boon
Level 26: Warding Curse
Level 28: Roll with It
Level 30: Mark of Passage

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Five Storms
Hybrid at-will 1: Hellish Rebuke
Hybrid encounter 1: Awaken the Slumbering Hurt
Hybrid daily 1: Masterful Spiral
Hybrid utility 2: Ethereal Stride
Hybrid encounter 3: Cloud of Flies
Hybrid daily 5: Tyrannical Threat
Hybrid utility 6: Centered Defense
Hybrid encounter 7: Fist of One Hundred Strikes
Hybrid daily 9: Crane Dance
Hybrid utility 10: Ethereal Sidestep
Hybrid encounter 13: Skirmisher's Volley (replaces Cloud of Flies)
Hybrid daily 15: Way of the Autumn Wind (replaces Masterful Spiral)
Hybrid utility 16: Hero's Defense
Hybrid encounter 17: Three Winds Kick (replaces Awaken the Slumbering Hurt)
Hybrid utility 22: Entropic Ward
Hybrid encounter 27: Legion of One (replaces Fist of One Hundred Strikes)
Hybrid daily 29: Wandering Comet Strike (replaces Way of the Autumn Wind)

ITEMS
Monk Unarmed Strike, Eladrin Ring of Passage (paragon tier), Final Sleep Ki Focus +1, Backlash Tattoo (heroic tier), Planestrider Boots (paragon tier), Circlet of Arkhosia (paragon tier), Silver Sky Tabard (paragon tier), Siberys Shard of the Mage (epic tier), Iron Armbands of Power (epic tier), Ring of Free Time (epic tier), Pelor's Sun Blessing (level 3), Rod of Starlight +2, Shadow Warlock Anathema Armor +5, Staff of the Traveler +6, Cloak of Translocation +5, Symbol of Divine Light +4, Gauntlets of Blood (epic tier)
RITUALS
Scroll of Remove Affliction (3), Scroll of Cure Disease (3)
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Look promising. How are you using a holy symbol. Monk, warlock and assassin don't have holy symbols to access. For that you need a divine class in there. The slasher handbooks has stated that the staff of the traveller is not a power so the boots does not apply. The boots has the property when you use a power to teleport you can teleport twice.

Edit: I just noticed Initiate of the Faith heh
Look promising. How are you using a holy symbol. Monk, warlock and assassin don't have holy symbols to access. For that you need a divine class in there. The slasher handbooks has stated that the staff of the traveller is not a power so the boots does not apply. The boots has the property when you use a power to teleport you can teleport twice.

Edit: I just noticed Initiate of the Faith heh

Which 'Slasher Handbook' are you referring to? Do you have a link? This thread was based on the interaction between teleporting and shifting (via the Staff). Presumably the 'Power' is the intial power that granted the shift.