3/08/2010 MM: "Raiders of the Lost Cabinet"

43 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Making Magic, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I can't be the only one who was not aware the original Time Walk also made you sac an island.

(P.S. do you own that stash, MaRo, or is it WotC property? 'cause German Urza's + Homelands sounds like a sick draft format)
I dont mean to be pedantic (I kinda do) but I think the Obliterate playtest card actually became Apocalypse, which a)rfged permanents, b)cost 6, c)made you discard your hand.

I love seeing playtest cards that changed before seeing print.  This article was a blast.  As someone who has played for quite a few years there were a few moments when I thought "wait, that wasn't so long ago!"

Like the seventh edition part... 
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the Obliterate playtest card became Apocalypse. This was a really cool article, and I'd absolutely love to see Time Streams get printed at some point in the future.

EDIT: Also, Polly Wanna Crack Skulls became Loose Lips
MaRo wanted to know what we think.  I think this article was cute, but a little content-light; he didn't really need to fill up the page with lavish pictures of booster boxes, especially not the ordinary ones (of course not everyone has been in Magic as long as I was so maybe the sight of a Mirage booster box was a revelation to some).  I'm okay with him doing an article like this every once in a while, but I find it a little light in "meat".
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
Ok, everyone seems to have caught the Obliterate/Apocalypse thing, so I'll let that slide this time, Rosewater!

My only comment on this whole article was this:

"Censorship Bear – ...It was decided along the way that the flavor of a Bear caring about word choice made no sense, so the card became Keeper of the Sacred Word."

Really?  In the set that is meant to be funny, a card called Censorship Bear is changed because "a Bear caring about word choice made no sense?"  That sounds hilarious to me.  Keeper of the Sacred Word never struck me as particularly funny, if he had been named Censorship Bear, I would have giggled to high heavens everytime i got to attack with him.  He's a large carnivorous land mammal that is concered with what people say.  Genius!
The playtest Psionic Blast dealt 4 damage with no drawback? Nice card.

First, the mana cost works a little differently than it ended up. For example, Wrath of God costs 4WW, which means that it costs four mana total, two of which must be white.

Okay, but what does the "UU/UU" casting cost in the "Lord of Mu" (which obviously eventually became Lord of Atlantis) mean?
What is interesting is the playtest cards, and here's an in-depth analysis of what I think about them.

1.  White sliver - I miss Banding.

2.  Divine Might - Dude, MaRo, you completely overlooked the most important fact about this card!  It turns all creatures into sheep!

3.  Nullify - I'm guessing Activator Preventer is the Split Second point, but the card doesn't actually say "This has Activator Preventer", it just says what Activator Preventer does.  I wonder if playtest cards are like this a lot.  It was a major head-scratcher to me, I was trying to figure out if maybe there was an artifact called Activator Preventer in the set which this card was designed to counteract.

4.  Time Stream - Nobody has ever explained to my satisfaction why they're calling them World Enchantment instead of "Enchantment - World" these days; I can think of no sensible reason for it.  This particular World, though, probably doesn't exactly need to see print; too much potential to be unfun.  At the very least it should be retemplated so that your opponent takes two turns after you play it, instead of you taking another turn; that would be way too broken in the late game, as your opponent would just never get the free turn and so this would just be a Time Warp, except you could keep Boomeranging and replaying it.

5.  Chameleon - no comment.

6.  Blue Lice - heheh, Lice.

7.  Life and Death - no comment.

8.  Genocide - good call on the name change.

9.  Etheric Captain - Very cool name, wish it had stayed.

10.  Obliterate - I'm glad they decided to give red some sweepers.

11.  Demolish - Interesting.  I've never wanted to see Shatter obsoleted (which it was as early as Exodus), but the power disparity between Shatter and Disenchant always bugged me.  The only way I could make sense of it was because of artifact creatures; "destroy target enchantment" was definitely weak enough to be one mana, but Shatter at one mana might have been a little strong in some circumstances.  My "everybody wins" idea was to give red a one-mana noncreatures-only Shatter, but it seems as though that idea's window of time has passed.

12.  Red Color Hoser - See, I hate this.  Designs starting with zero flavor suck.  Even goofy flavor is preferable.  Why didn't somebody call this card "White-Out" or "Redeye Removal" or something?  Actually I'm glad that color hosers have dropped off almost to nothing in recent sets, unless those sets encouraged color-matters play as with Shadowmoor and Alara.  The days of Alpha when Karma could kill black mages all by itself and Tsunami pwned any blue player who made the mistake of tapping out?  Ew.

13.  Chokwalla - no comment.

14.  Limited Options - Interesting that it originally made you discard down to 2 right away when you played it.  Considering that we eventually got Madness 0 spells, it's probably better that didn't happen.

15.  Crop Rotation - This card was obviously originally intended to fetch a full Urzatron; nothing else would justify spending four mana and two lands on this.  What degeneracy.  Little wonder that the name finally saw print in the Urza block.

16.  Letter Bomb -  ugh.  Maaaaaa-rooooo!

17.  Scroll Rack - no comment.

18.  Grindstone - I actually like how it just says "repeat"; it makes me think that you could make a set where such 'encoding' in activated abilities is common place, where some keyword-action like "recompile" makes a one-word substitute for the awkward "repeat this process" and just tells you to go back to a specific part of the activation; there's huge design space in this if you could figure it out right.

As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
Who's that guy on the Starter box?  I can't recall having ever seen him before.

I find it amusing that the only piece of information regarding MaRo's mystery game that he's provided us with is the fact that it contains at least one Dwarf.

Um, one thing I'd like to know is why MaRo has all those unopenned boosters sitting around in his cabinet. Also of interest is whether they are his own or technically the property of Wizards otC and would never be allowed to go out into the "wild"...
On Obligatory Angel, I'm sad that they lost the "this effect doesn't end, ever" bit.  It's confusing for damage prevention, because the effect sort of does end once a point has been prevented, but it's just funny to have such an exception to the usual rule.

MaRo goofed on Polly Wanna Crack Skulls - while that name undoubtedly morphed into Carnivorous Death-Parrot (which is too bad, the playtest name is much better), the rest of this playtest card is actually Loose Lips.  He forgot to RTFC.

Oh, by the way, I just now noticed that the code was originally "UNL".  Unlinked?  Unleashed?  Unlimited?  (Oh wait, no, that'd be a dumb name for a set.)

Cheatyface is another goof; MaRo forgot to point out the most significant difference.  The playtest card clearly defines that the opponent has to see you putting the card down; it was printed with the impossible-to-arbitrate "right away" instead, and that makes it suck.

Fragile Zombie was a Creature - Imp?  WTF?  It often seems as though Wizards deliberately screws things up in the design process to avoid having the game be too perfect, too early.  This drives me nuts.

Three-Headed Dragon looks amazing.  I hope they figure out how to make it work someday.

Pants on Fire would work fine with a simpler execution.  I'd say three or four stages of heat are plenty.  Also, it should never get a minus; being cool just means being the same size as when you weren't on fire at all.

Art Approval looks like a progenitor of Graphic Violence, not of Drawn Together.  MaRo needs to actually reread what he writes before submitting it, methinks.  (Then again, he's a busy guy so I won't be too hard on him.)

Finally, I'm curious on the classical-artists thing; did they plan on matching the example artists one-for-one to the final artists?  If not, the set might have played differently after their playtesting!

The alpha-playtest Superhero is really bizarre.  Had they not yet decided to make this a swords-and-sorcery fantasy game?  And white apparently originally got Superterror.  Wow.

Deenchant?  Wowch, say that ten times fast.  Good call on switching negative prefixes.

I looooooooove the original picture for WOG.  Might not match the card's effect, but I still wish it was real.

Lord of MuUU/UU is funny, but I can't figure out what the heck was supposed to be going on with this card.  Just really bizarre how this is done.

And I still miss Animate Dead having "Enchant Dead Creature".  It makes perfect sense, if people would stop getting hung up on the standard rules and accept that a card which can only exist in defiance of Rule 34567.89 is clearly, by its very nature, proof that Rule 34567.89 has exceptions sometimes and so must not apply to this card, I'd be so much happier.  Forcing all cards to follow the same rules is just wrong.
Ok, everyone seems to have caught the Obliterate/Apocalypse thing, so I'll let that slide this time, Rosewater!

"Censorship Bear – ...It was decided along the way that the flavor of a Bear caring about word choice made no sense, so the card became Keeper of the Sacred Word."

Really?  In the set that is meant to be funny, a card called Censorship Bear is changed because "a Bear caring about word choice made no sense?"  That sounds hilarious to me.  Keeper of the Sacred Word never struck me as particularly funny, if he had been named Censorship Bear, I would have giggled to high heavens everytime i got to attack with him.  He's a large carnivorous land mammal that is concered with what people say.  Genius!

I like him as a Druid/Monk/Hermit/whatever.  This card is proof that even a joke set can take its flavor seriously and be cool; the word-bear would seem random and dumb to me, but this is just the right little sprig of silly on a well-cooked dish of classic Magic flavor - he totally seems like any Wise Old Man (TM) from any serious S&S fantasy, right up until you find out what his Big Secret actually is.  I love that.
Maro said:

"I'm not sure what "2.41" means. Magic has a numeric code to say what stage the product is in, but we are not so exact that we go to a second digit after the decimal point, so that's not what "2.41" means. It's not a date. I honestly don't know what it means."

If you look at the playtest cards, you can see v2.41 in the bottom right corner.  I think it is to indicate that these playtest cards were actually in version 2.41.

I like him as a Druid/Monk/Hermit/whatever.  This card is proof that even a joke set can take its flavor seriously and be cool; the word-bear would seem random and dumb to me, but this is just the right little sprig of silly on a well-cooked dish of classic Magic flavor - he totally seems like any Wise Old Man (TM) from any serious S&S fantasy, right up until you find out what his Big Secret actually is.  I love that.

I disagree. I would have totally called the card Smoky.  "Only you can prevent poor wording"

Weird casting cost, and templating aside, "Lord of Mu" seems to be the first attempted kicker card.

I liked this article alot,  I'm very interested to see what maro has in the lower cabinet drawer, and what might be hidden under that mess he calls a desk.  More please... 

It costs UU and its activation costs UU. The original playtest cards put both costs by the name.
I too would like to see more Alpha playtest cards.
The best pic is obv the one with the Alpha playtests cards 

and Why maro had so many unnopened booster packs? 
Sweet WoG! Any chance we could get a promo with that art...?

No P/T on Superhero?

I'm glad that color hosers have dropped off almost to nothing in recent sets, unless those sets encouraged color-matters play as with Shadowmoor and Alara.  The days of Alpha when Karma could kill black mages all by itself and Tsunami pwned any blue player who made the mistake of tapping out?  Ew.

Kor Firewalker, Burrenton Forge-Tender, and Great Sable Stag are still pretty brutal at hosing certain colors.
very neat stuff. Deenchant with calvin on it absolutely made my day love that comic
When I'm not playing Magic, I'm losing brain cells playing soccer.
Kor Firewalker, Burrenton Forge-Tender, and Great Sable Stag are still pretty brutal at hosing certain colors.

I think the difference here is that the hosers nowadays are mostly strong creatures instead of one-sided armageddons or other effects that are even harder to play around (monoblack destroying Karma?).

PS. Card tags are bit weird, sometimes work, sometimes don't...
Anyone else click on the link for "my own favorite adventure hero" and expect to see a picture of MaRo? 
I'm also a little sad that R&D didn't print "Censorship Bear".
I'm just happy to see glimpses of a few more of the Alpha playtest cards; there had been some of them on the site before.

Coming up with weird ideas to make everyone happy since 2008!

I have now started a blog as an appropriate place to put my crazy ideas.

3.  Nullify - I'm guessing Activator Preventer is the Split Second point, but the card doesn't actually say "This has Activator Preventer", it just says what Activator Preventer does.  I wonder if playtest cards are like this a lot.  It was a major head-scratcher to me, I was trying to figure out if maybe there was an artifact called Activator Preventer in the set which this card was designed to counteract.

Based on the templating, "Activation Preventer" must be a previous name for the card; when they changed the name to Nullify, they forgot to change it in the text.
I would devour the bodies of 1,000 worlds' children for that set of Alpha playtest cards.  Just sayin'.

*fades back into obscurity*
Come to PaPa. We'll teach you how to stab people. The New MPFG! Because why not?! Quoted For Truthery. "Why should I care how many people I have to kill? I can just make more in my tummy!" - Kazumi Kato, very pregnant The power of Foamy compels you. Bored? Need to lose hair by force and harm small, woodland creatures? Click here.
I've said for years it would be neat to see promo cards with that old artwork. Maybe some kind of Duel Decks kind of thing even. 

Neat article, wonder if this is where some of the "hidden treasures" came from?  
Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013
hey, great article man! do you ever get up to drafting with all the random packs you've got sitting around there? once my friend and i drafted a pile of cards that was in my room, devoid of almost all rares (except I think a ball lightning). it was great fun, you should try it. peace!
I would devour the bodies of 1,000 worlds' children for that set of Alpha playtest cards.  Just sayin'.

*fades back into obscurity*

hahahahaha! "*fades back into obscurity*". love it, man.
11.  Demolish - Interesting.  I've never wanted to see Shatter obsoleted (which it was as early as Exodus), but the power disparity between Shatter and Disenchant always bugged me.  The only way I could make sense of it was because of artifact creatures; "destroy target enchantment" was definitely weak enough to be one mana, but Shatter at one mana might have been a little strong in some circumstances.  My "everybody wins" idea was to give red a one-mana noncreatures-only Shatter, but it seems as though that idea's window of time has passed.

Consider Hearth Charm, printed in Visions.  It destroys an artifact creature for R, or you can use one of the two other abilities.   Alternatively, there was Crumble in Green, which gained the opponent life, but prevented regeneration.

12.  Red Color Hoser - See, I hate this.  Designs starting with zero flavor suck.  Even goofy flavor is preferable.  Why didn't somebody call this card "White-Out" or "Redeye Removal" or something?  Actually I'm glad that color hosers have dropped off almost to nothing in recent sets, unless those sets encouraged color-matters play as with Shadowmoor and Alara.  The days of Alpha when Karma could kill black mages all by itself and Tsunami pwned any blue player who made the mistake of tapping out?  Ew.

I don't know.  At least that sort of thing meant that there was an answer when everyone started playing Cryptic Command.  Sufficiently narrow hosers encourage diversity, as there is a payoff to being unexpected.

Regarding Havoc, MaRo should consider that R&D of the day was surely well aware that Red preferred to deal damage, not cause loss of life.  The reason it is loss of life is so that the hosing still functions in the face of Circle of Protection: Red, White's ultimate counter-hoser.

Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
I liked this column a lot. An interesting read and with some funny moments too.
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
Consider Hearth Charm, printed in Visions.  It destroys an artifact creature for R, or you can use one of the two other abilities.   Alternatively, there was Crumble in Green, which gained the opponent life, but prevented regeneration.

Or Pillage, which is just a much better Demolish.

The problem was that when we sent the card to the illustrator, he thought we had made up the name, so he invented a creature to draw. As it didn’t look like a chuckwalla, we had to make up a new name to represent what the art was.

Actually...

Image.ashx?multiverseid=129707&type=card   450px-Chuckwalla.jpg

(chuckwalla image from wikipedia)
I'd just likke to say, I wish I'd had that kind of money when those sets were released, or I'd have a collection like that.

When you showed a picture of those revised boosters, it really struck a chord - my very first magic cards came out of a revised booster, not a starter.

My rare was a Timber Wolves. I remember studying each card, the borders, the background, the red stone on the card part of my wall of stone, and I remember being amazed when I found out that Craw Wurm was common, but the wolves were rare. I seriously had to have more, because the idea of a world where the wolf was rare but the wurm wasn't was too cool.

Makes me wonder what would be in one of those packs.
Enjoyed the article a lot! I like to see the more out there kind of things that MaRo does like go on archaeological digs through his own file cabinet. I nearly went into shock when I saw he had a whole load of Alpha playtests just hanging around in there! How in the name of all that is good and Magic-related could you forget you had something like that!? I'd like to see what's in the bottom half of that cabinet. If there's a mint Black Lotus in there, I wouldn't be surprised.
Looks like MaRo has plenty of extra cards. Perhaps a fun contest to win some?

I was fine with both of those.  Hearth Charm couldn't destroy noncreature artifacts (which were usually the dangerous ones), and Crumble carried a steep cost on occasion if the target was something like a Colossus of Sardia, though it was admittedly usually only 2-4 life points and totally worth it (also it was a different color, sometimes that was a turn-off).  Shattering Pulse, Shattering Spree, and Smash to Smithereens are the ones that I consider to have nuked Shatter, because with the exception of Spree's sorcery status, all are 100% of what Shatter is plus something else that's completely free.

Sufficiently narrow hosers encourage diversity, as there is a payoff to being unexpected.

I don't consider color to be the way to do this.  Just because you're playing blue doesn't mean you're playing Cryptic Command, even if Spikes think it does.  Color-hosers make me feel sad because a) the opponent can utterly crush me with the ones that match my color, and b) I can find them useless and dead in my hand because they don't match his.

The mention of Havoc and COP Red makes me think it would have been funny if the card had read, "When a player casts a white spell, Havoc deals 1 damage to that player, then Havoc deals 1 damage to that player".  That way, you'd have to activate the COP twice to prevent it.  (Of course, later, they printed Sphere of Law.)
Was I the only person expecting him to crack one of those ancient packs, just to show us what was inside?

~ Tim
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Was I the only person expecting him to crack one of those ancient packs, just to show us what was inside?

~ Tim

Maybe he's planning Homelands-Visions-5th edition sealed? ;)
I was kind of hoping for him to find old food or random sticky notes. Still it was a good article and fun read. The Urza boosters made me laugh.
True post count: 9,900 Thanks Wotc for not counting archived posts. If I post without capital letters than means I'm posting from my phone. For some reason it hates typing capital letters. Go_Texans on MTGO. Texans 12-4 Wildcard: W Texans 19 Bengals 13 Divisional: L Texans 28 Patriots 41 Another awesome season!