DM Rewards

32 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was curious as to what the rewards for DMs who run the Encounters will be.  I understand if Wizards can't give specifics yet (which I appreciate, seeing as how I've already signed up to DM at a local store and I don't want a bunch of people rushing to do the same based soley on the rewards they can earn), but maybe someone could give some vague examples.  I know that the homepage says "valuable game aids", but would this be minis, exclusive dice, tokens, etc.?
If you're an organizer, you can download a PDF if you check your event scheduling - and that PDF explains what the DM rewards are ;).

There are 2 DM rewards per kit ordered. 
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Found the Rewards and they are a nifty game tool.
James Playing D&D since the Red Box of '83.
Pretty sure I had seen this asked before but is there something special to do to sign up for the DM rewards program?  Every link I follow seems to have everything to do with MtG and nothing to do with D&D.  I do have a Herald level RPGA membership, but not sure if there is anything else I need to do.  Thanks for any and all help.
If you want to DM you need to go through your local store.  I contacted my store and offered to DM for them.  They said sure (and then ordered the kits) and now I get to try and deal with an unknown number of players by myself on Wednesday ... carefull what you wish for
Pretty sure I had seen this asked before but is there something special to do to sign up for the DM rewards program?  Every link I follow seems to have everything to do with MtG and nothing to do with D&D.  I do have a Herald level RPGA membership, but not sure if there is anything else I need to do.  Thanks for any and all help.

So near as I can tell the process for DM Rewards currently operates as follows:

1) Take/pass the 4E DM Test on the DCI Judge Center
2) Click the "Rewards" link on the DCI Personal Information Center
3) Yes, the page that takes you to talks HEAVILY about magic, but if you've passed a 4E Judge Test following the link on the bottom of that page will show you an option to enroll in DM Rewards

Yes, it's a little convoluted, but (for better or worse) the WPN staff is aware of the awkwardness and are taking steps/making plans to change/adjust/fix things.

Please note - these DM rewards are separate from the DM Rewards included in the D&D Encounters Kit.  

If you're going to be a regular GM at your store, the local organizer should be offering you a stack of Condition Cards as your DM Reward specifically for running Halaster's Lost Apprentice.  The DM Rewards Program, by contrast, offers up twice-annual mailings of rewards - geared toward offering DM Utility (Dungeon (Ship) Tiles, Free adventures, Condition Cards and Storage Boxes (for all your stuff for a night of D&D) have all been things we've seen to date.   
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Thanks guys, that was the info I was looking for Wolfstar.  Off to see if I can find the 4e test.

Joe

3) Yes, the page that takes you to talks HEAVILY about magic, but if you've passed a 4E Judge Test following the link on the bottom of that page will show you an option to enroll in DM Rewards

Yes, it's a little convoluted, but (for better or worse) the WPN staff is aware of the awkwardness and are taking steps/making plans to change/adjust/fix things.

Please note - these DM rewards are separate from the DM Rewards included in the D&D Encounters Kit.  

If you're going to be a regular GM at your store, the local organizer should be offering you a stack of Condition Cards as your DM Reward specifically for running Halaster's Lost Apprentice.  The DM Rewards Program, by contrast, offers up twice-annual mailings of rewards - geared toward offering DM Utility (Dungeon (Ship) Tiles, Free adventures, Condition Cards and Storage Boxes (for all your stuff for a night of D&D) have all been things we've seen to date.   

I'm enrolled in DM rewards, but how do I make sure that the organizer is putting me down as the DM?  I'm only asking because the organizer was the manager of my FLGS, but then he quit, and the new manager is unsure of what's going on.
If you're familiar with event reporting (either online or using the WER software now that it supports D&D) you could offer to help the organizer do his first round of reporting.

Failing that, make sure you download an RPGA Session Tracking form (available here) and print it out when you head to the store.

Fill that out, and explain to the Organizer that you'd like to make sure you're getting DM Credit toward your DM Rewards, and as such that they should report all the information as its listed on the form. 

I'm enrolled in DM rewards, but how do I make sure that the organizer is putting me down as the DM?  I'm only asking because the organizer was the manager of my FLGS, but then he quit, and the new manager is unsure of what's going on.

After the fact you should see under the My Events link you are listed as Judge or DM. I cannot recall the specifics off the top of my head, but you can tell what events you DMed and which you played in. Not sure if the FLGS guy can change things after the fact - I have never tried with my events. If your store owner/manager is like mine he would rather have you deal with the reporting so ask, take the WPN organizer 'test' and start reporting. It does not take that long for RPGA events.

My hope is that future DDE DM rewards & the RPGA DM rewards do not overlap. At this point I have not heard if DDE will count towards RPGA DM rewards. Given the separate rewards  my guess is they will not. I already have a tough enough time getting people to DM. Having duplication of rewards will not help. Yes it sounds petty but that is how some people are. As it is now the other DMs at the shop are about ready to confiscate my DMing gear since I have done so much the last month or so.
Are you kidding?  I'd be thrilled to have multiple copies of the Status Cards!
My hope is that future DDE DM rewards & the RPGA DM rewards do not overlap. At this point I have not heard if DDE will count towards RPGA DM rewards. Given the separate rewards  my guess is they will not. I already have a tough enough time getting people to DM. Having duplication of rewards will not help. Yes it sounds petty but that is how some people are. As it is now the other DMs at the shop are about ready to confiscate my DMing gear since I have done so much the last month or so.

I have two stacks of condition cards now, and I wouldn't mind having a 3rd - when you have NPCs dealing out status effects, I wouldn't even mind having 6 stacks so that I know I can always hand the right card to a player as needed.    But that's just me.

It's my understanding that, since this is an RPGA/WPN event, and it is the WPN reporting system that tracks DM Rewards Points that yes - DD:E counts for DM Rewards points.  I can try to get official confirmation if you like.   

I have two stacks of condition cards now, and I wouldn't mind having a 3rd - when you have NPCs dealing out status effects, I wouldn't even mind having 6 stacks so that I know I can always hand the right card to a player as needed.    But that's just me.

It's my understanding that, since this is an RPGA/WPN event, and it is the WPN reporting system that tracks DM Rewards Points that yes - DD:E counts for DM Rewards points.  I can try to get official confirmation if you like.   

Six sets of condition cards? Useful. Six sets of ship tiles? Not so useful. With up to 7 chances to earn rewards (4 DD:E (based on a 3 month season mentioned in the DDXP announcement), 2 RPGA & 1 for updating your contact info) thought needs to go into what to double up on. (Oh yea, and I have heard some conventions also hand out those same rewards to DMs as a thank you.)

Personally I am not concerned if DD:E will count toward my RPGA total. Since I missed registering a game late last year I should have mine out of the way already for the first half of 2010. Not paying attention to the DM schedule this idiot wonderfully dedicated DM ended up running 3 different LFR sessions in 1 week. Unless I am going to get some kind of super-uber cool thing for possibly DMing 20 sessions between DD:E & LFR it is bonus times for me.
In a given mailing period you only qualify for rewards once.

So, 5 DM Rewards points, or 50 DM Rewards points, you'll still only get a single mailing.  Ship Tiles only went out once (though, spare sets of them were given out at GenCon and Origins, from the leftover supplies).

The "Up-to-date info/joining DM Rewards" mailing of Village of Homlet is also only supposed to happen once.  Though I've heard it said that it can/has happen/ed a couple times in some instances.

The Dark Sun box is another Reward that you're only likely to see once (unless you GM at the big cons - leftovers will again be likely to make it into GM Swag).

Condition Cards are, I think a different story.  I could see these being a little add-in to DM Rewards for a while, because they're very highly useful.  Keep in mind, too, that the D&D Encounters program is likely to attract the attention of a good number of new GMs - people who didn't/wouldn't have qualified for Condition Cards to date.  

As such, those cards are handy for keeping the DMs aware of what a condition does, as well as the player(s) affected. 

In a given mailing period you only qualify for rewards once.

So, 5 DM Rewards points, or 50 DM Rewards points, you'll still only get a single mailing.  Ship Tiles only went out once (though, spare sets of them were given out at GenCon and Origins, from the leftover supplies).

The "Up-to-date info/joining DM Rewards" mailing of Village of Homlet is also only supposed to happen once.  Though I've heard it said that it can/has happen/ed a couple times in some instances.

The Dark Sun box is another Reward that you're only likely to see once (unless you GM at the big cons - leftovers will again be likely to make it into GM Swag).

Condition Cards are, I think a different story.  I could see these being a little add-in to DM Rewards for a while, because they're very highly useful.  Keep in mind, too, that the D&D Encounters program is likely to attract the attention of a good number of new GMs - people who didn't/wouldn't have qualified for Condition Cards to date.  

As such, those cards are handy for keeping the DMs aware of what a condition does, as well as the player(s) affected. 

I realize that you need 5 sessions and everyone gets the same reward regardless of how many times you DM. My point was I get enough DMing through LFR that DD:E is icing. It is not like my unused sessions carry over - only when I fail to qualify in one time frame does that happen from what I have read.

You are supposed to get a new adventure every year you update your address. From the website:

Receive rewards just for signing up and keeping current. All DM Rewards members receive a special adventure in the spring (April-June) for keeping their contact information current with us. If you sign up for the program after the spring mailing, you will still receive the special adventure within 12 weeks. After your first adventure mailing, all you need to do is update your contact information at some point during the year to receive the next year’s adventure. Log in to your account and click on "Personal Info" in the "My Links" navigation on the right side of the screen to update your contact information.

and

Receive a cool new adventure each year. Every year, all DM Rewards members receive a brand new adventure written by the Wizards staff. These have a full-color cover and a full-color poster map. Check out this year’s offering below and remember – you can still get it if you sign up today!

As for new DMs - not to sound cruel but they missed the boat on that reward.

I know WotC wants to keep a little bit of wow or cool factor in the rewards to encourage people to step up and DM. No matter how cool or useful something is the third or fourth time you get the same thing it starts to become a non-event.
Well, I received Village of Hommlet in the mail from Wizards week before last.  I also received it in the mail from Wizards a year ago.  Now I have 2 copies along with 2 accompanying letters that are identical (save the date).
If I cannot seem to find the DM rewards link on the My Rewards page, what should I do?

RILSQIID

If you go to membership.wizards.com/signup/signup.asp... and see "D&D Player Rewards" (once you've signed in, if necessary) then you're not signed up for the DM Rewards. Click that, ignore the text on the next page which is out of date, scroll down, click 'Sign up' at the bottom and complete the forms. You should be sent an email, which contains a confirmation link. Once you've clicked that you should be signed up for the rewards program.

Running D&D Adventurers League events in Sheffield, UK from August. Contact me for more details.

What Pedr said, that's what I had to do, and please ignore everything on that page as it is nothing but Magic information.

After the fact you should see under the My Events link you are listed as Judge or DM. I cannot recall the specifics off the top of my head, but you can tell what events you DMed and which you played in. Not sure if the FLGS guy can change things after the fact - I have never tried with my events. If your store owner/manager is like mine he would rather have you deal with the reporting so ask, take the WPN organizer 'test' and start reporting. It does not take that long for RPGA events.

can't seem to take a test othere than the heralsd level test is this the same as the DM test?

Yep that's the starting level DM test, more tests become available later.  I think the site says after 3 months you can take the Master test.

Joe
Yep that's the starting level DM test, more tests become available later.  I think the site says after 3 months you can take the Master test.

Joe

Does the "Master-level" test apply to D&D 4e? If so, I have not heard anything about it.
I'm just guessing, it may still be the verbiage from back in 3.x but I believe so.  I also read somewhere that they may try to incorporate other levels as well.  Again just guessing but I do remember reading about the master level test.  I'll have to see if I can find it again.

Joe
Ok, I found the quote, it's off the exams page, before you actually choose your exam.  Toward the bottom of the page.  As I said though this may just be old information.

Using the Judge Center, you can become a Rules Advisor for some game systems, a Tournament Organizer, or a Herald or Master in the RPGA. To take these tests, follow the same steps as above, and select a test without "Practice" in the title.

Unlike most practice tests, these tests have a minimum waiting period between attempts. However, passing these tests also carries a greater reward than passing practice tests. Passing one of these tests will actually make you a Rules Advisor, Tournament Organizer, Herald, or Master, instead of just allowing you to become accustomed to the types of questions you’ll see and determine what you need to study.

The DM program used to have multiple levels of DMs.

We still use the terminology of DM's being a Herald-level DM, but the rest of the structure above Herald-Level is now gone from the program.

The WPN program still has various levels of organizer, but at this time any "Gateway" level organizer can do anything needed for D&D.  It's possible that an organizer might one day need to be Core for a future program.

Thankfully the web is due for an update here next quarter I do believe.
/cry
They took away the goals I was reaching for...

Now i have to find a new way to set myself apart as a DM in my area.
Links that I find very useful, will be added here. http://community.wizards.com/vinciente/blog/2010/02/24/useful_damp;d_pageslinks

I've heard similar rumors about the WPN Member's Site for the last year or so.  I knew the community site, and the D&D site had priority. I've been pleasantly surprised to see the WPN site coming together - and it would seem to me that the WPN Member's site is the next logical step.

Here's hoping the rumors are true.   

By the way, you don't have to pass the Herald test in order to become a WPN co-ordinator. There is a 'test' called Tournament Organiser and if you create and take that one you get all of the permissions and memberships.

You still can take the Herald test instead if you'd like to test your D&D knowledge.

(This was accurate two weeks ago, I'm assuming it's not changed recently!) 

Running D&D Adventurers League events in Sheffield, UK from August. Contact me for more details.

By the way, you don't have to pass the Herald test in order to become a WPN co-ordinator. There is a 'test' called Tournament Organiser and if you create and take that one you get all of the permissions and memberships.

You still can take the Herald test instead if you'd like to test your D&D knowledge.

(This was accurate two weeks ago, I'm assuming it's not changed recently!) 

The herald test, in my experimenting, appears to be a requirement for D&D Rewards

I've heard similar rumors about the WPN Member's Site for the last year or so.  I knew the community site, and the D&D site had priority. I've been pleasantly surprised to see the WPN site coming together - and it would seem to me that the WPN Member's site is the next logical step.

Here's hoping the rumors are true.   

I had actually submitted a request for information and here is what I got back:

Type: Question
Assigned To: Andrew Heckt
Responder: Andrew Heckt
There is a website redesign scheduled for the Wizards Play Network end of Q3 2010 currently to address usability and update content.
Sign In to post comments