3/4/2010 TD: "Beyond River of Tears"

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Top Decks, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I don't want to pick on Flores as he gets enough of that and I've especially appreciated his articles recently, but he said something that a lot of people say and it bugs me:
Maybe not all by itself ... but the ability to go to 22 gives you essentially a Time Walk against a Thepths opponent.

The correct thing to say is it buys you a turn.  It is not a Time Walk.  These are fundamentally different.  It really bugs me how often people are so eager to glorify a good play by comparing it to one of The Nine.  You know what is like Time Walk?  Time Warp  Buying a turn is not an insignificant thing.  It's actually amazing.  If you don't recognize it for how important it is, and you think you need to call it a Time Walk, then you just aren't paying enough attention.

I'm excited to see Nyxathid!  I've recently discovered how undervalued that card really is.  Back him up with a little hand disruption and you'll be amazed how far they actually go.  Burn just cannot remove him.  I've been running him in this Sedraxis Specter/Blightning deck and it's been very impressive indeed.
More River of Tears coverage please.
I don't want to pick on Flores as he gets enough of that and I've especially appreciated his articles recently, but he said something that a lot of people say and it bugs me:
Maybe not all by itself ... but the ability to go to 22 gives you essentially a Time Walk against a Thepths opponent.

The correct thing to say is it buys you a turn.  It is not a Time Walk.

Then you would seriously take issue with one of the greatest articles of all time.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

that is a sweet time walk article

finks can't get your head above 20 with shocklands and a random bob hitting you.
all decks fall to filthy decks
An article about "other" extended decks and we get all midrange variations (Smallpox was at least different), yet no love for Living End. Fine with me, I don't need people to be prepared for it.

The correct thing to say is it buys you a turn.  It is not a Time Walk.

Then you would seriously take issue with one of the greatest articles of all time.

it's wise to be the first person to say "let's think about time walks instead of ancestral recalls," but it's not as wise to call something a time walk because you've heard the phrase from someone else who heard it from someone else, but you don't really understand the fundamental differences between an actual time walk and the advantages of tempo. i can understand appreciating the initial philosophy, but objecting to the repeated use of the phrase by people who don't understand that something being similar to a time walk isn't the same thing as being a time walk, just as most people would object to someone calling bloodbraid elf "an ancestral recall," but wouldn't object to using ancestral recall as a metaphor for card advantage (exactly as that article does). flores surely understands the difference, but has a tendency to hurl exaggerated metaphors about with abandon, which can be irritating to those who value precision.
If your life is above twenty and you get hit by a 20/20 token then you get to take another turn.  That is what Time Walk does so it seems pretty straightforward.

Take another turn
If your life is above twenty and you get hit by a 20/20 token then you get to take another turn.  That is what Time Walk does so it seems pretty straightforward.

Take another turn

Time walk lets you take two turns in a row, and it lets you do it on your terms (like when your opponent is tapped out if you so desire).  While it's very good to give yourself the opportunity to survive for an additional turn, that turn is not on your terms and you don't get two in a row.
if surviving for another turn was identical to time walk, lifegain-only cards would be played a hell of a lot more in constructed, since they can buy you another turn or so (but often do absolutely nothing to prevent the inevitable).
I actually played an updated version of Boom/Bust Zoo (evolving the sideboard and main with help from GT) at the Philly open this last weekend where I won (first place was a set of foil goyfs). The deck definitely has a ton of blowout potential.

-Lucas Siow 
it's wise to be the first person to say "let's think about time walks instead of ancestral recalls," but it's not as wise to call something a time walk because you've heard the phrase from someone else who heard it from someone else, but you don't really understand the fundamental differences between an actual time walk and the advantages of tempo.

Mike certainly understands the concept.  However, he has always been a little too much into lingo. 
Always.  Not just Magic slang either, but any meme that catches on like "d-i".

It's justifiable somewhat because writing is more readable with varied structure.  But man if there was ever a guy who's going to mise a timewalk instead of drawing a card to survive another turn, it's Michael J.  Flores.

(That said, if the defining feature of the match is tempo rather than card advantage - which is the case in this example - then the analogy is close enough anyway and anything else is just nitpicking.)

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

If 34 is the new old, then I must be really, really late for Bingo.
he has always been a little too much into lingo.

it gets exhausting, sometimes. natch.