[Read This First] - Creating a Rules Thread

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Welcome to the Magic: The Gathering Rules Q&A forum.
You've got a question, so let's help you ask it.

#1: Ask yourself "[b]Is this a rules question?[/b]"
Each forum of these boards holds specific content. Along with that content comes people, and the occasional program, that are experts in that field of content. So, for you to get the quickest, best answer to your question, be sure to ask it in the right place.

If your question does not pertain to the Rules and or Rulings, do not ask it in this forum.

Examples of Non-Rules Related Questions
"How do I accomplish a certain action on Magic: The Gathering: Online?"

This question belongs in the Magic Online New Player forum.

"I've found a bug on Magic: The Gathering: Online, what should I do?"

This question belongs in the Magic Online Bugs and Technical Issues forum.

"How do I make [___] appear in my post?"

Questions about the boards themselves and how to post certain things belong TCG Boards Business forum.

"Is my deck any good?" / "How can I improve my deck?"

Deck critiques can be found in either the Casual Play or Tournament Play sections of the forums.

"How should I use [___]?" / "I'm looking for a card that does [___]" / "Can you improve my combo?"

Questions like these are best suited for the Cards & Combos forum.

#2: Ask yourself "Can I answer my own question?"

Here are some resources that you can use to try to answer your own question. Remember, we're not just here to answer your questions. We're also here to help you become self-reliant.

Done all that and still can't find your answer? Then let's proceed.

#3: Let's create that thread!

#A: The Title

This title should reflect one or more of the aspects of your question. This will help other users who may have similar questions to your own.
Examples
You have a question about Grizzly Bears;

"Grizzly Bears Question"

You have a question about how Phasing and Echo interact;

"Phasing and Echo"

etc.

Please don't just make a thread entitled "Help", "Need an answer ASAP", "In the middle of a game", etc. The very fact that you're posting here kind of makes it obvious that you would like us to answer your question, and we always provide answers as fast as possible.

Is the question about a spoiled card from an upcoming set? Then, put a spoiler warning (like [*Spoiler*]) into the thread's title, and if possible leave card names out of the title. Not everyone wants to see spoiler information before the official release.

"[*Spoiler*] Upcoming Set Mechanic"

When asking about spoiled cards, be sure to include the text of the card in question, and use sblock tags. (See below.)

#B: Grammar

Use proper spelling, punctuation and grammar. We can't help you if we can't understand you.

#C: Tagging

Autocard
[C]Grizzly Bears[/C] = Grizzly Bears
[C=Grizzly Bears]Yogi Bear[/C] = Yogi Bear

Symbols
[mc]WUBRG[/mc] =
[mc]0123456789(10)(11)XYZ[/mc] = YZ
[mc]TQS[/mc] =
[mc](WU)(WB)(WR)(WG)(UB)(UR)(UG)(BR)(BG)(RG)(2W)(2U)(2B)(2R)(2G)[/mc] = ()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()
[mc]P(PW)(PU)(PB)(PR)(PG)[/mc] = P(P)(P)(P)(P)

Sblock

[Sblock]Text[/Sblock] =
Show
Text

#D: Details, Details, Details

Try to include as much relevant detail in your question as possible. A specific question will get a specific answer.
  • What do you want to know?
  • What don't you understand?
  • What do you think will happen?

Don't just post a few cards and ask "Does this combo work?". We don't know what you're trying to use those cards to do unless you explain it to us, so make sure to do so before asking us if it works. (You'd be surprised at the odd things people sometimes think their cards do.)

You don't need to post the text of the cards involved, especially if you've used autocard tags. The official card text may have changed at some point, so we generally need to look at the Oracle text in Gatherer rather than what happens to be printed on your card anyway.

#E: Supporting Evidence

If you want your answer to be supported with rules quotes, say so and we'll be happy to provide the relevant quotes. Don't bother insisting that a Judge answer, though; while many of us are in fact Judges (Judges will have a little silver badge with scales on it under their avatar), many of those who aren't will be able to provide answers that are just as good as any Judge's ruling.

You don't need a second (or third, or fourth...) opinion. If you're worried that the first answer you received might not be accurate, just wait for a while; some of us live for correcting mistakes like that, so any wrong answers will be pointed out immediately. If nobody posts a correction, that's because none is needed.

#4: Proofread your thread

Make sure you dotted all your "i"s and crossed all your "t"s.

Hit the preview button.

Go back though your thread, and check all your links. Do they all work?
Does the way you posed your question make sense to you?

#5: Let's post that thread!

Hit the 'Create Thread' button. Now, someone will be around shortly to respond to your query. Please be patient.

Special Thanks to...
YOU!
Yes, you the reader. Hopefully, you'll find this a useful tool.
Thank you for letting us help you help us help you.

Contributors: Feigel, MadWarper, Ahlyis, Argus_Panoptes, Hardtrack, iagomonk, inkraven, jeff-heikkinen, LiquidFire, Muffin_Man24, oranges, orcishartillery, Skeptical Mario, SlimThrull, TranscientMaster, useless_kodama, VrtraTheory

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

I propose an addendum to section #2. We should probably mention the Gatherer card rulings as a source for people to look while attempting to answer their own question. I'm not sure how many people actually go through this list before posting as is, but it's still a good thing to mention.
Rules Nut Advisor
I propose an addendum to section #2. We should probably mention the Gatherer card rulings as a source for people to look while attempting to answer their own question. I'm not sure how many people actually go through this list before posting as is, but it's still a good thing to mention.

do you have a link? I am new and am not sure where you mean.

do you have a link? I am new and am not sure where you mean.

Gatherer. e.g. See the bottom of [C=Sorin, Lord of Innistrad]this page[/C]

Also, I have yet to see a question that was over, say, 150 words[1] that needed to be that length or gained anything from the extra verbiage - and 150 is generous and should be reserved for exceptionally complicated situations, for most questions I'd put the limit much lower. I really think this point should be made somewhere in here. This may appear to contradict the "details, details" part, but

• (a) it really doesn't - the key concept here is succinctness, and "succinct" doesn't mean "short" so much as "conveying a lot of information in as few words as possible", and

• (b) frankly, to whatever very small extent there is a genuine conflict between "details, details!" and "keep your questions short and to the point", it is the former that should be sacrificed.

•  

The longer the post, the harder it usually is to find the actual question, or in many cases even figure out whether there is a genuine question or just an off-topic rant.

1 Excluding things like quotes of disputed rulebook passages - but people knowlegable enough to provide those aren't the people I'm mainly talking about.

Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
ok i cant find a forum that answers my question so im just goin to be a random a-hole so is m12 set ;egal in standard tournaments
ok i cant find a forum that answers my question so im just goin to be a random a-hole so is m12 set ;egal in standard tournaments

You're in the right forum, but next time make a new thread instead of posting in this one.

All the tournament formats are described on this page. Magic 2012 is no longer in standard, having been replaced by Magic 2013. That said, if a given card was printed in M13, you can use an M12 copy of it (or any old copy of it). For example, you can use an Acidic Slime from M10, M11, M12, M13, or Commander.

I'd like to comment that for the auto-carding it seems that a capital C does not work and requires it to be a lower case c. Sorry, it confused me a bit until I tried it and finally saw it work in a post preview that I was previously afraid to post for looking like an idiot. I know, I've opened my mouth now and taken all doubts away.

balakfoehammer wrote:

I'd like to comment that for the auto-carding it seems that a capital C does not work and requires it to be a lower case c. Sorry, it confused me a bit until I tried it and finally saw it work in a post preview that I was previously afraid to post for looking like an idiot. I know, I've opened my mouth now and taken all doubts away.

No, it's a valid point. At the time this thread was created, capital Cs worked, but they no longer do since the changeover to the new Drupal-based boards. (On any reasonably comprehensive list of the problems with the new boards, that ranks somewhere around #90, but it definitely gets a spot. Among the much worse ones is what it did to the FAQ thread.)
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011

my question is in regards to the m14 card elite arcanist. if i cast an elite arcanist and exile a cancel.then on my opponents turn i tap three mana and copy the cancel. elite arcanists says i may cast a copy of the cancel. does the effect remain an option throughout my opponents entire turn and or even into my next turn ?

Next time, please make a new thread by going to Rules Q&A and clicking "add a thread"

ccole wrote:
my question is in regards to the m14 card elite arcanist. if i cast an elite arcanist and exile a cancel.then on my opponents turn i tap three mana and copy the cancel. elite arcanists says i may cast a copy of the cancel. does the effect remain an option throughout my opponents entire turn and or even into my next turn ?

You cast the copy during the resolution of elite arcanist's ability, not at any other time. This means you'll want to use elite arcanist's ability in response to whatever spell you want to counter.

I have a question, in one of the coldsnap theme decks dark ritual was included.  Does that mean it is valid to be played in modern as coldsnap is legal?  Thanks.

Next time, please make a new thread by going to Rules Q&A and clicking "add a thread".

No. The Coldsnap theme decks (or any theme, duel, or other kind of deck, really) have no effect on legality in any format. The only thing that does is having been reprinted in a Standard-legal set.

"Proc" stands for "Programmed Random OCcurance". It does not even vaguely apply to anything Magic cards do. Don't use it.

Level 1 Judge as of 09/26/2013

Zammm = Batman

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins." -- Fallingman

jeff-heikkinen wrote:

balakfoehammer wrote:

No, it's a valid point. At the time this thread was created, capital Cs worked, but they no longer do since the changeover to the new Drupal-based boards. (On any reasonably comprehensive list of the problems with the new boards, that ranks somewhere around #90, but it definitely gets a spot. Among the much worse ones is what it did to the FAQ thread.)

Lower case c also does not seem to work. The Compose Tips page has two options either [autocard] or [card].

tot_kto_v_bredu wrote:
Lower case c also does not seem to work. 

With c's: Lightning Bolt

Seems fine to me.

Island  hmm, true, may be i used different keyboard setup

Hey everyone! So my friends and I have been into casual magic for quite sometime. One rule that has always been ambigious is "the stack". We are not entirely sure how it works. I was just wondering if I could give you guys a quick example of what happened in a duel recenlty, and if someone could explain what should of happened that would  be great! Okay so here is the scenario:  It was like turn 4 or 5 of my turn. I have one creature on the field guttersnipe (Everytime I cast an instant or soccery spell it deals two damage to my oppenent). My oppenent casts murder on guttersnipe during the beggining of my turn. So here is where it gets tricky. Well his murder is on stack can I cast X number of cards before guttersnipe dies to get the two damage off for each spell cast? So for example lets say well his murder is still on stack can I cast 2 lightning bolts on him for a total of 10  damge (3 for each lightning bolt and 4 from guttersnipe) ,or does his murder resolve first causing guttersnipe to die; therfore, only dealing 6 damage to my oppennet? Also does it matter on the number of spells I cast? Can I only cast 1 lightning bolt before muder resolves, or can I cast as many lightning bolts before his card resolves; thefore getting the proc from guttersnipe for each instants/sorrecry I cast? We do know our fair share about the game, but we were always unsure of this rule because we never knew it exsited for the first half of our Magic The Gathering expereince. Hopefully I gave you guys enough information for you guys to give me the correct anwser. Sorry for such a long post. Thanks again!

Paragraph breaks would help a lot with breaking up that long post. Additionally, rules questions belong in their own thread, not in the Forum Guidelines.

Spells and abilities resolve in the reverse of the order they were added to the stack. Additionally, between each individual resolution, each player may add as many more thing to the top of the stack as they like (and can pay for). Those new things will all resolve before the things underneath them.

Imagine it like a stack of pancakes. As pancakes come off the stove (spell are cast, abilities go off) they are added to the top of the pancake stack. Breakfasters serve themselves (resolve spells and abilities) from the top of the stack to the bottom, but sometimes new pancakes are finished before everyone is served. They still go on top of the pancake stack and are still served first when someone is ready for more pancakes.

Does that answer your question?

"Proc" stands for "Programmed Random OCcurance". It does not even vaguely apply to anything Magic cards do. Don't use it.

Level 1 Judge as of 09/26/2013

Zammm = Batman

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins." -- Fallingman

Astarael7 wrote:

Paragraph breaks would help a lot with breaking up that long post. Additionally, rules questions belong in their own thread, not in the Forum Guidelines.

Spells and abilities resolve in the reverse of the order they were added to the stack. Additionally, between each individual resolution, each player may add as many more thing to the top of the stack as they like (and can pay for). Those new things will all resolve before the things underneath them.

Imagine it like a stack of pancakes. As pancakes come off the stove (spell are cast, abilities go off) they are added to the top of the pancake stack. Breakfasters serve themselves (resolve spells and abilities) from the top of the stack to the bottom, but sometimes new pancakes are finished before everyone is served. They still go on top of the pancake stack and are still served first when someone is ready for more pancakes.

Does that answer your question?

Yes that does. Thank you very much! Sorry about no paragraphs breaks. So if I had another question where would I post the question if it was a ruling question? A provied link would be great thanks!

TacticalUnderpants wrote:
 So if I had another question where would I post the question if it was a ruling question?
Go here and click "Add a Thread"

cyphern wrote:

TacticalUnderpants wrote:
 So if I had another question where would I post the question if it was a ruling question?

Go here and click "Add a Thread"

Wow I am dumb. Lol thanks again. Sorry for posting in the wrong place.

Sign In to post comments