3/3/2010 BoaB: "The Valley of the Shadow of Death"

60 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Building on a Budget, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
The main draw of the deck, the Death's Shadow + Ad Nauseum combo/plan seems to get sided out for a lot of matches. My response is why even have them in the deck in the first place then if they are going to get sided out every single time and why not move the cards from the side board to the main deck and have a more sligh heavy sideboard?

That being said, I have tallied up the number of Magic Online tickets the rares in this deck were trading for as of this writing. Leave a forum comment or shoot me an email if you like this feature and would like to see it as a regular part of the column.
boab80_16Tickets.jpg

Dragonskull Summit: 2 tickets each= 8 tickets
Goblin Guide: 0.5 tickets each= 2 tickets
Death's Shadow: 0.75 tickets= 2.25 tickets
Ad Nauseam: 0.25 tickets each= 0.75 tickets
Earthquake: 1 ticket each= 3 tickets
Total: 16 tickets

Really?  REALLY NOW?

I can't find Dragonskulls at less than 4, Guides at 1.5, and Quakes less than 3.5.  Where are you finding them?

Any reason for noTerminates? It can't be for budgetary reasons, since Lightning Bolt costs more and Blightning is pretty close.
This looks like a cool concept, especially with the dearth of combo decks in standard right now. What would a non-budget version of this deck look like? I'm guessing the BR manland from Worldwake, and perhaps some fetchlands?

That being said, I have tallied up the number of Magic Online tickets the rares in this deck were trading for as of this writing. Leave a forum comment or shoot me an email if you like this feature and would like to see it as a regular part of the column.
boab80_16Tickets.jpg

Really?  REALLY NOW?

I can't find Dragonskulls at less than 4, Guides at 1.5, and Quakes less than 3.5.  Where are you finding them?

Yeah, his figures are way off.  Even if you are shopping around for the best possible price, buying from humans, and not from bots.  Some M10 Lands you can get for 3, but not Summits.  Guide's are 2.  Death's Shadow are 3, I just checked.  Anyway, the feature would be cool, but I don't think that the figures are accurate.

As for the column, I prefer him to previous writers.  I would MUCH rather have a writer who is coming up with budget-concious Tier 1 decks than making uncompetitive jank decks.  I can come up with uncompetitive jank all by myself thank you.  Laughing 

Also, of all the BoaB writers in the past, I am pretty sure Jacob is the only one with truly impressive tournament credentials.  He wins major tournaments with so-called budget decks.  My biggest critique is that he will often come up with 'original' decks when I have seen them in the Casual room for several weeks. 

This week is a bit better than most of his past columns, Imo.  This list is one that I haven't seen before. (check)  I love it! (check)  It looks like it kicks ass! (check) And it is a true budget deck (check).

Keep up the good work.  
Other than fetch lands I don't see any non-budget cards that belong (and let's face it, they always belong).  An honest to goodness budget deck.  Very exciting.  Well done.

Could Soul's Fire and Goblin Artillery possibly deserve a spot here? Just something I saw on another similar list, seemed like a good idea. The only problem with Soul's Fire is that they're probably gonna kill Death's Shadow ASAP after you hit them once with it, but it's cool if you can pull it off in one turn.

boab80_16Tickets.jpg

Really?  REALLY NOW?

Yeah, his figures are way off.  Even if you are shopping around for the best possible price, buying from humans, and not from bots.  Some M10 Lands you can get for 3, but not Summits.  Guide's are 2.  Death's Shadow are 3, I just checked.  Anyway, the feature would be cool, but I don't think that the figures are accurate.

This week is a bit better than most of his past columns, Imo.  This list is one that I haven't seen before. (check)  I love it! (check)  It looks like it kicks ass! (check) And it is a true budget deck (check).

Keep up the good work.  

I have to agree with both sections.  After checking almost all the reliable bots online, those cards are not that cheap anywhere.  So I do have to ask where you are buying them at.  If you are getting them off of human players then that is great for you, but finding those low prices on a regular basis would be tough.  Though as a feature this is awesome seeing what the rares amount too.  And I know you can't post on the boards where you buy them but it would be nice to know where in the world the prices were located at.
That said, this week's deck actually looks like a lot of fun to play.  If I could find those same prices I would give it a shot.
I like fun, but competitive decks. So I might not play what is optimal but they have normally been tested to have a 2/3 winrate.
I love the way BoaB has been shaping up since you've come on as a writer, Jacob. It really shows me what makes decks worj in a competitive environment. The decks are generally pretty cool with today's piece as another exciting installment. I don't think the decks are non-budget, for competitive decks they are cheap and eschew the overvalued cards.

As an avid trader I did frown a bit when I saw your price listings though. At the moment, I would value the rares as following:

Dragonskull Summit: 3.5 tickets each= 14 tickets
Goblin Guide: 1 ticket each= 4 tickets
Death's Shadow: 0.25 tickets= 1 ticket
Ad Nauseam: 0.10 tickets each= 0.4 tickets
Earthquake: 2.5 tickets each= 7.5 tickets
Total: 26.9 tickets

I'm sure (as in, I know a place 100%) you can find the Dragonskull Summits for 3 each, but I think it's easier on the reader to see a higher estimate than to be disappointed at the traders office. Some earlier posts have been overstating the price differences, but I have to agree some are optimistic numbers Smile. For me, the price guide isn't informative since I know prices. Also, publishing prices in a column as yours is hard to do correctly, not in the least since you yourself have been driving up MTGO prices in the past and will do so in the future I'm sure Smile.

Keep up the awesome work,
I feel that in a non budget version, 8 fetches and 4 plated geopedes would replace the goblin deathraiders.  I feel even Vampire cullblade ot Sarukan marauder is alittle better in this case than deathraiders, although I guess trample does count for something.    However, that being siad, I like that sign in blood and ad nauseum are in this deck, even without death's shadow.  It has always made sense for such a fast low cost archtype.  If this deck stayed rougue, which it has'nt I could have seen this eventually doing something cool at an upcoming tourney.
i think (to put money into it) i'd play some fetches+geopede or even just put in hell's thunder over deathraiders in the side.
I am Blue/Black
Deck plays well if you can get the mana. second test game I ran with this I hit two ad nasuems off of an ad nasuem. I would have had enough to kill the guy off of one death's shadow  without either....
I want to say that I appreciate the turn "Building on a Budget" took when you replaced Bleiweiss.

This column shouldn't entirely be focused on "budget", but should also strive to build decks that are actually "good".

I think you've found a very good balance on that.

What should out after reading the matches is that is deck is fast, too fast for Ad Nauseam to be main decked. It should be a sideboard card and only brought to combat against aggresive control decks as a finisher.

The more I play this deck the more I realise that lots of the time you don't even to need to ad nasuem if you have a death's shadow and goblin bushwaker, the mana to cast them, a life total under ten and a clear board to attack.  Off the right draw you can hit your opponet for 7 before they even get off their first creature.
Wow, very nice deck. Terrifyingly low mana curve: 22 one-drops, 8 two-drops, 4 at three and 3 Ad Nauseam at five. That's a scary amount of Ad Nauseam card draw.
Chain Reaction in case you can't find some cheap earhquakes? Shame it's worse with Ad Nauseum, though.
Ymtc: Idol Round 3
57681748 wrote:
Assassination Plot Sorcery Conspire Target player who asked too many questions this turn sacrifices a creature. (Too many is one more than the number of spells cast.) "Now where do we put the bo-" Ramses Overdark, last words
56287226 wrote:
Awesome wording here, and the addition of conspire is inspired. Very nice.
Regarding prices - JvL said that he's been playing this deck for a few weeks.  Possibly these cards were cheaper back then?  (I don't know when Worldwake was released online, so that may not be a possibility....)
worldwake has been online a week a half.  And i cant remember the last time earthquake was a dollar, guide was a quarter and dragonskull 2 tickets.  While I dont doubt that he may have found those prices from a human player in the classifieds, this is not an average price.  Though the effort in actually tracking down the prices is appreciated. 
I like fun, but competitive decks. So I might not play what is optimal but they have normally been tested to have a 2/3 winrate.
worldwake has been online a week a half.  And i cant remember the last time earthquake was a dollar, guide was a quarter and dragonskull 2 tickets.  While I dont doubt that he may have found those prices from a human player in the classifieds, this is not an average price.  Though the effort in actually tracking down the prices is appreciated. 
I love the price guide feature, and really want to see it again.  That being said, I'd rather you overestimate the cost of the rares and have me excited when I find them for cheaper than the ather way around.

Keep up the good work!
Posting costs is a welcome addition to the articles. 
Comics Magic #$%! - a sfw blog (at least, there's no nudity!) The blazekite is a simple concept, really - just a vehicular application of dragscoop ionics and electropropulsion magnetronics. Idiot.
you can fit some electropotence in here
its like a bushwacker

I got to say that there must be a psyhic link between Jacob and me.  I just got done building a freaking Ad Naseum/Death's Shadow deck.  My orignal was tricolor [mana]BRG[/mana] that quickly wanted to dump black and focus on [mana]rg[/mana].

Like the posting I found that even in revised Black/Red only decks, the holdback on life loss from the Ad Naseum made me sideboard it out a whole lot.  Blightning & Lightning Bolt were in there. But I kept wanting to splash white to add life back to my total or at least have a tainted sigil available to reverse corse on the life lost to the AdNas. 

To be 100% upfront I didn't use the two Goblins and need to play it out with the 3 creatures swapped.  I had been playing with efficient and threatening 1 drops instead.  I had stumbled on the idea while thinking what the exact limitations of Scute Mob, Dragon Master Outcast, Death's Shadow, [card]Bloodhall Ooze, and Kederekt Parasite.   Birds of Paradise being the 6th 1 drop creature in the deck.  In the original version, I also ran the Top Deck Queen.  Total creature count was 24 (3 of Ooze, Parasite, DM Outcast, and Mob) along with 2 sigil of distinction, 2  Strength of TJ, 3 Comet Storm, 3 ad naseum, 3 everflowing chalice, 23 lands.  That design SUCKED like a Dyson! 

Black Red wanted lands, lands, and a couple more lands.  RG wanted large amounts of mana.

I am glad to see a functioning competitive Black-Red deck that uses the Ad Naseum.  It is a much better design than what I had come up with.

OH YEAH!  This writer is the only one that makes me want to post of these boards anymore.  My posting are now once every month or so.  I just can't stand the washed out, hurts my eyes when I look of the new board.

I love the deck, and will probably try it out myself.  

As for the price list, it only seems worthwhile if it's accurate.  While I don't think his prices are terribly off, I do agree with other users that they seem a bit lower than I can find.   

What I would really like to see in the column though is more info about how the deck is performing.  Two match reports are good enough to give us an idea how the deck works, but it would also be nice to have a general rundown of performance.  

For example:  How is your matchup against Boss Naya?  Do you always smash UW Control like that, or did you just get really good draws?   Is this a casual deck, an FNM deck, or a true competitive deck?

Especially if the decks are a little pricier (which is fine, because this is still less than one Bankslayer Angel) I'd like to have more of an idea of how it will perform than a two match set before I go out and spend my sparse tix on it.

Oh, and one more thing.  The WORST part of BoaB?  I usually want to go build and play the deck as soon as I read the article, but it happens during downtime on MTGO, so I can't.  Smile
The problem is that basing prices off the lowest price you got from a human isn't accurate in the true sense.  I would prefer keeping the feature but basing the prices off the rough mean you found from bots.  Like 90% of players, I would rather spend a couple minutes trying to find a low price bot, rather than searching through endless players' pools to find the same card at a .5 ticket discount.

Other than his articles occassionally lacking originality, I would say the biggest problem with the revamped BoaB is that he only posts 2 matches but he does so in agonizing detail.  I would rather see 3 matches, with a bit less detail.  And then to cap it off, at the bottom I would show your match win rate versus several decks (at least 20 matches). 

I.e.

DECK PERFORMANCE
v. Jund: 3-2
v. Boss Naya: 2-3
v. WU control 3-1

This would provide much more pertinent information.  Posting (at least) a couple of matches is necessary but insufficient.  For all we know, you just happened to post the two matches where your deck actually did well.  Posting win records like so shows us whether the deck is truly viable.  

boab80_16Tickets.jpg

Really?  REALLY NOW?

I think his prices are definately off, but equally you're definately exaggerating. Summits are available at 3, guides at 1, quakes at 2.5. If you've got a good and accurate point, telling the truth is more likely to make him listen ;)

I like the price guide, but the more accurate it is the better, and I think erring on the side of saying they are more expensive than they are is probably sensible.

For the record, that's just the prices from bots I generally use, so I can get them for those prices in a few minutes once downtime is over (and I might well do so, because this deck looks like lot of fun).

I would echo the poster above me, by saying that game-by-game accounts are great, but if you could shorten them slightly and/or put an overall performance, that would be even better.

The main draw of the deck, the Death's Shadow + Ad Nauseum combo/plan seems to get sided out for a lot of matches. My response is why even have them in the deck in the first place then if they are going to get sided out every single time and why not move the cards from the side board to the main deck and have a more sligh heavy sideboard?

That's the whole idea! You side out the combo in the second match to catch your opponent off-guard. The combo should be in the maindeck though, because of how often the one and two-drops are going to get annihilated by Day of Judgment and other sweepers. You get sweeped turn four, so turn five you cast Ad Nauseam at EOT and finish your opponent turn six.

I've got to say I'm super impressed with this deck. I love decks that have 2 completely different victory conditions that blend so smoothly within the maindeck. Also, the deck is very nicely suited to the current Standard metagame.

Big props to Angelo for coming up with this one and thanks to you, JVL, for sharing it with us.

PS. I like the cost round-up for the deck. I don't mind decks going over some threshold of tickets, but it's nice to see how much they would cost to compare them with other decks from the column. It would be better though, if the prices were a bit closer to reality.
Manaug.gif | Manawu.gif | Manau.gif | Manaub.gif | Manaur.gif
A handful more game reports would be nice, though with the person above that said he would like to see how it compared with the metagame by about 20 matchups each, that is an insane amount of playing, and is a huge burden to get done once a week.  Especially considering the current metagame.
You would need matchups for
Boss Naya(definite)
Zvi Bant(preferred)
Jund(definite)
Open the Vaults(definite)
White Weenie(preferred)
Mono-Red(maybe)
U/W Control(definite)
Grixis(maybe)
Eldrazi(maybe)
thats roughly 180 matches or 540 individual games....
I don't play online, but jeezus why is earthquake so much?

Is it because online it never was an uncommon so there aren't players like me throwing playsets at struggling new players?  
i think he meant 20 total matches. Nice deck, i built it and am having fun. That said, more matches = better.

I havnt really met that many generous magic online players that are willing to dish out free cards to poor folk. Besides the common bots.
Just gotta say, I feel like he needs to test against better players. The Jund results are basically meaningless because of play errors.

You don't pump Putrid Leech against a deck with 8-12 burn spells and red mana up, especially when it's blocking creatures with trample.

EDIT: Just want to say that it's possible I'm mistaken and there was a good reason for the decisions made (say, if it was a desperation manuever and the only way he could win was to preserve the leech). I don't have hard data, but I don't tend to get the impression of much play skill on the other side of the table from Jacob, and it was especially pronounced in today's article. I don't object to throwing the deck together and playing it against whoever's down at the local card shop, but presenting that as "playtesting" isn't very accurate.
Great Designer Search 2 Finalist - If you're interested in getting involved, check out my Wiki Page.
Posting costs is a welcome addition to the articles. 

Seconded.
Liked to see you actually read what is written here, Jacob. Ignore the trolls and be happy. If this is worth of anything, It'd be very nice to see some more game reports. And nice deck today.
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!

I second that point.. if the deck's entire point is being sided out, why bother?
i don't play online, either.  but if the prices you guys are giving are accurate, i totally wish i did...other than that whole monthly servive fee and whatnot.  hitting up my local stores and online vendors i frequent, Dragonskull Summits run about $9-10 each and Goblin Guides are $5-ish.

not really complaining on the budget, because even at those prices, those are the only pricey cards in the deck.  and anything without BSA's and fetches qualifies as budget in my book.  just a little mindblowing the difference in price between online and paper.  i do like the price rundown feature, but wish you would post the equivalent for real world paper cards, as well, seeing as though there seems to be a big discrepancy.

nice deck, though.  kudos to the designer.  it looks fun to play, relatively cheap to build, and seems to have some decent game/viability.  finally something to do with those Death's Shadows i opened at the pre-re!

p.s.    re: adding Lavaclaw Reaches-   typically, etb tapped lands are pretty bad for sligh decks.  yes, it would give color fixing and another late game threat, but this is at the cost of tempo, which is what the deck is all about.  if you were to run them at all, i wouldn't suggest more than a couple.  but i honestly don't think they are necessary. 

I know this is a budged deck but Lavaclaw Reaches seems like a perfect fit for this deck. You are casting both RR(bushwacker) and BB(sign in blood) spells as such having a bit more fixing will help quite a bit. It is also another way to get in more damage in the mid to late game in case going for the combo is not best. 23 lands might make it take a bit of time to reach 5 mana though of course you don't really need 5 mana immediately and sign in blood helps somewhat as well.

Why are you siding out the combo against jund? Seems like just tossing ad naseum out there after they have "stabelized" is pretty good even if you don't draw into the combo and while a normal red deck is probably also favoured against them, the combo version is even more so. Of course against UW they can probably counter it (if they keep in counters...) and a normal red deck with blightnings and deathmarks is extremely favoured against them anyway.

The combo seems like it improves on a traditional red deck against white creature based decks and GW(x) decks, the ability to just draw enough cards to kill all their guys (deathmarks after sideboard) or just killing them out of nowhere leaves the possibility of winning from a position where it was previously very hard for a red deck to win (they at mid to low life total but the red deck with no resources left).

A handful more game reports would be nice, though with the person above that said he would like to see how it compared with the metagame by about 20 matchups each, that is an insane amount of playing, and is a huge burden to get done once a week.  Especially considering the current metagame.
You would need matchups for
Boss Naya(definite)
Zvi Bant(preferred)
Jund(definite)
Open the Vaults(definite)
White Weenie(preferred)
Mono-Red(maybe)
U/W Control(definite)
Grixis(maybe)
Eldrazi(maybe)
thats roughly 180 matches or 540 individual games....

I meant 20 Total matches, not 20 against each archetype. 

Matches, especially with a quick sligh deck like this, generally take around 20 min.  That means, 20 matches would only be 400 minutes of 'work', or roughly 7 hours.  Professional writers should be spending at least this amount of effort in doing research for a piece like this.  I think it is totally realistic for him to post the standings of 20 matches.  And I DO NOT mean in detail, I simply mean the standings.

I.e.
STANDINGS
I played 5 matches against Jund, result 3 wins, 2 losses.
I played 4 matches against UW control, result 3 wins, 1 loss.

It's a feature I would like to see, both out of pure personal interest, and because it would give me a more accurate assessment as to whether I should fork out the cash for the deck.  Personally, I am a big limited player, and I can afford to play with only 1-2 std decks.  Because I draft, on average 3-4 times a week, I have pretty much every uncommon and common in the set after just a couple of months.  So if I can play with a Budget deck when I already have most of those cards, all the better.  But I can't afford to play with every deck he posts each week.  Thus, I am highly interested in budget decks with decent records.  Hence my desire for him to post his standings from a decent sample size.

This deck, I actually LOVE.  It is exactly what I am looking for because I think it does have what it takes to compete.  But I would like evidence of this before I buy the rares, even if they would only cost me an extra $20.

I second that point.. if the deck's entire point is being sided out, why bother?

Transformatve Sideboarding is cute like that, in G2 they sit there and wait for you to combo out and it never happens letting you eat their tempo with cards not even in your deck.
I love the deck.  I've been wanting to find a way to use Death's Shadow for a long time.  Great article.

In terms of the criticism that the decks haven't been "budget-oriented" recently, I don't mind at all.  Honestly, I come for the fresh deck ideas, not the budget.  I understand the point of your column is to have affordable and fun decks, but something you could do would be add a few sentences at the end of each article suggesting a few cards that could be added or swapped into the deck if you had the budget to do so.

Transformatve Sideboarding is cute like that, in G2 they sit there and wait for you to combo out and it never happens letting you eat their tempo with cards not even in your deck.

Was about to say the same thing.

Sign In to post comments