Dragonmarks...

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I've been wondering, why are dragonmarks not allowed in RPGA/LFR games?

It seems like almost everything else is allowed, so why close the door on such a small thing?

Personally, I know my cleric would *love* to take Mark of Healing, as its a very powerful mark, but not being able to have it really impeeds my ability to grant saving throws.

Mark of warding is a great mark for wardens..but not legal in LFR.

I guess my question is, why are odd things like Warforged and Kalashtar legal in LFR, but something silly like dragonmarks are not?

If its just a lore reason..that seems a bit silly, but I guess I understand, even though the rules on lore are constantly bent.

Is it a balance reason or somethign else?

I'd just like to know the *official* reason for not allowing dragonmarks in LFR!

Thanks
Dragonmarks are unique to Eberron.  That's why their not allowed in LFR.  Warforged and changlings are not unique to Eberron.  That's why they are allowed.

Beyond that, Dragonmarks are not balanced with normal feats.  They are almost unanimously more powerful.

Flavor.

You can't play a spellscarred in non-Forgotten Realms RPGA games; you can't have a dragonmark in non-Eberron RPGA games.  Doubtless there will be some element of Dark Sun you can't take outside of that world as well.

It doesn't hurt that dragonmarks are significantly overpowered--if they were allowed, the majority of PCs would take one, diluting the flavor even more.

I expect there will soon be a reward card that lets you play one.

You'll see a lot of PCs with Mark of Warding and Mark of Scribing.

That would be an amazing compromise.
I sort-of hate that idea.  On one hand, those cards are goofy-powerful for four hour games, and removing one of them from the character's playable stack to allow for a goofy-powerful feat isn't a terrible compromise.

On the other hand, flying thundering swordmages knocking every enemy within three squares prone every round.

I wouldn't count on it.  If it were going to happen, I would have expected it *last* year, when WotC's focus was on Eberron (and, when such a card would have provided an incentive for LFR players to purchase then-current Eberron books).

With WotC's focus on Dark Sun in 2010, I think, if anything, you might see a card which would unlock a Dark Sun-specific character option (no idea what that'd be).
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"
. . . .or Gamma World!

(Draw from the mutation deck at the start of every adventure! Wheeeee!)

Innocent 

Dan Anderson @EpicUthrac
Total Confusion www.totalcon.com
LFR Calimshan Writing Director
LFR Epic Writing Director

LFR Myth Drannor Writing Director

. . . .or Gamma World!

(Draw from the mutation deck at the start of every adventure! Wheeeee!)

Innocent 

At least that we could pass off as Plaguechanged. Wink
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"