AAT - Miniature

I am looking to create a "to scale" AAT for SWM Will be around 14cm-15cm long), I am going to try multiple casting materials for cost and stability (resin and expanded PU). I would have to ship unpainted. I expect the "cost" to be somewhere between $15-$30, I wont know exactly until I can make one from a mould. I am hoping to produce with an opening back door, and maybe top

I wont be looking to make huge amounts of profit on them, enough to cover materials for the making and some on top to cover the cost of the initial model and casting. I will probably be willing to accept trades for figures, etc., so as not to get nailed for copyright, etc.

What do people think of price, etc
That's a great idea Simon, and i for one would gladly pay up to $30 for one if they look good. What the heck, i'll even take 2 of them Smile

I've done some calculating myself on many of the popular vehicles and starfighters to be able to figure out which non-WotC products would be the same scale, and according to my calculations the AAT would be 16,3cm-17,7cm long (if the miniature's scale is indeed somewhere between 1:55 and 1:60) but 14cm-15cm will do just fine.

Good luck with the project! And keep us updated.
That's a great idea Simon, and i for one would gladly pay up to $30 for one if they look good. What the heck, i'll even take 2 of them

I've done some calculating myself on many of the popular vehicles and starfighters to be able to figure out which non-WotC products would be the same scale, and according to my calculations the AAT would be 16,3cm-17,7cm long (if the miniature's scale is indeed somewhere between 1:55 and 1:60) but 14cm-15cm will do just fine.

Good luck with the project! And keep us updated.

I kind of get somewhere around 16.25cm when I work out the scale (at 60:1 and 9.75m length). Hopefully they should be pretty detailed. I am hoping to keep the "cost" down by clever use of materials. But need to get my first one produced then moulded and I can test some casting materials to see how the detail holds, etc.
Smooth-on products are a wonder!!! I think you should look into them, as you plan you AAT.
I will definitly buy one from you, even at 30$ a pop, if they look half decent. Do you have stat cards for them to?
There are two good versions out now.
The Transformers Star Wars line has two different paint jobs of the AAT that are very closr to scale.

Both are in stores now.

Some RPG and mini http://members.cox.net/ghenghis_ska/Index.shtml
That actually looks almost to scale. Cool, I might buy one.
I'm definitely buying one. Just need custom stats now.
Hmm somehow I'd forgot about the transformer ones, or there was some other reason I didn't want to get them. OK well maybe I will look to the LAAT (which there isn't a scale model for - the revell kit is too small), and the AT-TE

Hmm somehow I'd forgot about the transformer ones, or there was some other reason I didn't want to get them.

The Transformers model looks good. The only cons are the additional lines across the model because of the transformation thing, and as far as i remember the robot arms are folded awkwardly at the rear. But with the Action Fleet model going for £92 / $140 or more on eBay, i guess this will have to do the trick.

@Ghengis_Ska: What's the length of the Transformers model?

OK well maybe I will look to the LAAT (which there isn't a scale model for - the revell kit is too small), and the AT-TE

That would be absolutely awesome as well!

PS If anyone would happen to have a reasonably affordable Action Fleet AAT for sale, feel free to mail me! Laughing
It is 16 cm

I made up some stats based on the RPG version

The best LAAT i have found is a cardstock model.
trying to find pictures...
@ Simon: I just spent a couple of hours going around town looking in all the toy shops, Forbidden Planet and Argos and I couldn't find the AAT transformer anywhere. I also had a search online and they don't seem that easy to come by. The AAT actionfleet I have only seen on ebay for over £100. So there is still probably a trading market out there for any AAT you come up with.

Not knowing where you are, all i can say is that in my area the Blue ones were in Targets, toys R us, and Wal mart last weekend.  The wave for the Yellow E1 was in stores but they were sold out. However if you want a quick easy way to get a Yellow one try here www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.ht...

i totally forgot to look in ToysRus. Lame. I am in the UK btw.
Then yeah your millage will vary. 
The Yellow/E1 versions were released in October/November they are just now showing up in stores widespread in the states (as toy departments are now ordering more now that the post christmass lull is over).  Be on the look out, I honestly haven't seen any of the Yellow paint jobs personally, I have only seen the wave they are in (red background not the blue background)

And yeah Duh Forbidden Planet and pound symbol should have clued me in as to you being in the UK (i order my Dr. Who stuff from FP)... brain hickup.
Yeah I am uk too maybe that's why I couldn't find the aat think you might see in odd places. If I remember they were retailing over here for about twenty to twenty five quid 35 to 40 dollars)
Yeah I am uk too maybe that's why I couldn't find the aat think you might see in odd places. If I remember they were retailing over here for about twenty to twenty five quid 35 to 40 dollars)

if the Hasbro store ships to the UK might be the best bet, heck it's were I ordered my first Blue one, i had downloaded a picture and checked size before hand and it looked close so I ordered one from them to be sure as i could not find them, mind you this was Aug/sept last year, now they are all over here in the states.  But well I ordered a few of the Yellow as well as something else i wanted.

And there is always E-bay... I just snagged a few things from an older toy line I wanted as scenery just yesterday from your side of the pond.

As long as I wasn't bidding on it then that sounds cool. I will be planning a trip to toysrus as soon as possible. The Forbidden Planet where I live has stopped selling minis, and I can find graphic novels cheaper on amazon...so I rarely go anymore.
Estimated, it would cost around $25-$30 US to buy it here and ship it to the UK.  (Talking about the Transformers version.)  It may be another option if it is not available there, or if buying it online costs more.
IMAGE(http://home.comcast.net/~jps201/mst3k_files/ms_seats.gif) "An opinion is not a right to be express whenever it is false/incorrect/a lie." -LOL
Estimated, it would cost around $25-$30 US to buy it here and ship it to the UK.  (Talking about the Transformers version.)  It may be another option if it is not available there, or if buying it online costs more.

how much are they in the us? generally shipping from the us + customs will set you back $20-30

how much are they in the us? generally shipping from the us + customs will set you back $20-30

They cost about $15.  I did an estimate on the USPS site and it came to around $11 to mail something first class. 
IMAGE(http://home.comcast.net/~jps201/mst3k_files/ms_seats.gif) "An opinion is not a right to be express whenever it is false/incorrect/a lie." -LOL
You guys might want to check out this thread:

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

where the Transformers, Action Fleet  and RC AAT were discussed, with pictures.
At last we will have our revenge.

They cost about $15.  I did an estimate on the USPS site and it came to around $11 to mail something first class. 

Its probably true that is the cost to a supplier, but as an example when I looked at ordering $150 of figures from T&T they wanted $83 for postage.

Its probably true that is the cost to a supplier, but as an example when I looked at ordering $150 of figures from T&T they wanted $83 for postage.

Sorry, looking back, I think I edited an earlier post and left something out, so my point wasn't clear.  What I meant to say was ~$11 is the cost for an individual to mail it.  I was thinking more along the lines of having someone pick it up from the store and mail it to you.  I'd be happy to look into it if you'd like.
I for one would like to get(if possible) at least one of them then my Grassy Plains game will be that much better.

Boss Nass
After all this talk, I just picked up the Transformers AAT  Cost me more than I expected... I happen to be in the Philippines right now, and I know things are generally more expensive here. So $30 is a bit ouch!

Have to say it's a bit bigger than I had hoped. It's probably the correct size, but I think if it was a bit smaller it'd be easier to use as an actual gaming piece. As is, it'd take up a 4x4 space on the map. It towers over the CAT Droid, which I know is a bit smaller than it should be. I'm not too much a stickler for "precise scale", which is why a slightly smaller than true scale AAT would probably be of greater appeal to me.

Still, if these things are going to be in easy supply in toyshops, it's probably a good idea to grab one now. If everyone has one, we can probably come up with a "semi-official" custom stat for it
Officially the size should be about 5 x 6 if too scale! So the transformer is actually smaller! Something like the gunship is supposed to be 12 x 12 so half a map width!
Officially the size should be about 5 x 6 if too scale! So the transformer is actually smaller! Something like the gunship is supposed to be 12 x 12 so half a map width!

Wow that's massive. I'll have to reconsider getting a smaller one then, the Revell 1:72 model for example Smile
72 scale would be 5 x 4 ish. It is an interesting point, certainly few maps allow for something that big. I did consider making mine on huge bases to allow for play

Still, if these things are going to be in easy supply in toyshops, it's probably a good idea to grab one now. If everyone has one, we can probably come up with a "semi-official" custom stat for it

Most of the stats for the Vehicles actually match up very closely to the RPG stats (Vulture droid, AT-AT, AT-ST, tank droids, etc) so if you can find a copy of the RPG with the AAT, make the best conversion of those, which is what  i based mine off of.
"I for one would like to get(if possible) at least one of them then my Grassy Plains game will be that much better."

Boss Nass"

Wassa Boomba gonna do to dat big  ouch time?   Meesa tink a boomba gonna bounce offa that ting.   

Meesa also tink  Capt. Tarpals on da Kaadu  gonna get steppie steppin on, n looka like a moosha.
"I for one would like to get(if possible) at least one of them then my Grassy Plains game will be that much better."

Boss Nass"

Wassa Boomba gonna do to dat big  ouch time?   Meesa tink a boomba gonna bounce offa that ting.   

Meesa also tink  Capt. Tarpals on da Kaadu  gonna get steppie steppin on, n looka like a moosha.

"shoot that bloody gungan" - Rex
I kind of get somewhere around 16.25cm when I work out the scale (at 60:1 and 9.75m length). Hopefully they should be pretty detailed. I am hoping to keep the "cost" down by clever use of materials. But need to get my first one produced then moulded and I can test some casting materials to see how the detail holds, etc.

SW minis scale is 34mm, or 1:52, or about 18.75 cm. 
Sign In to post comments