PC Bugbear

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Goblin: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
Hobgoblin: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
Bhuka: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
Lutin: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Bugbear

Powerful and feral warriors of the wild whose size is matched only be their ferocity.

Average Height: 6'10"-7'1"
Average Weight: 250-300lbs.

Ability Scores: +2 Strength and +2 Dexterity or +2 Constitution
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 Squares
Vision: Low-light

Languages: Common, Goblin
Skill Bonuses: +2 Intimidate and +2 Perception
Bugbear Resilience: When you use your second wind ability, you gain additional temporary hit points equal to your Constitution modfier plus 1/2 your level.
Powerful Grip: You gain a +2 bonus on attempts to grab or sustain a grab. You also have a +2 bonus to checks involving climbing.
Predatory Eye: You can use predatory eye as an encounter power.

Predatory Eye
You manuever into an advantageous position and strike your foe with ruthless determination.
Encounter
Minor Action * Personal
Effect: If you have combat advantage against a target, you deal +1d6 damage on the next attack you make against the target. You must apply this bonus before the end of your next turn.
Increases extra damage to +2d6 at 11th level and +3d6 at 21st level

Deep in the wilds one finds these large, powerful goblins who are almost more beast than humanoid. Large, fearsome and swift, bugbears often live alone or in small bands numbering no more than a couple dozen and have no qualms of devouring anything that should dare to enter their territory. Attempts to civilize these savages usually meets with great difficulty they end up living out their lives as hired muscle, fighting battles or performing menial labor in the fortress of a hobgoblin. Their savage nature often makes people underestimate their intelligence, but behind their animalistic visage lies a cunning mind.

Play a bugbear if you want...
* to be powerful and savage and strike fear into the hearts of your enemies
* to rely more on brute strength and intimidation than skill and deception
* to be a member of a race that favors the Barbarian, Fighter, Ranger and Warden classes

Physical Qualities
As the name "bugbear" suggests, they are large, heavy built and very, very hairy. Like other goblinoids, they have large flat noses, long pointed ears and sharp teeth with a pair of tusks that jut up from their bottom jaw. Their heads and bodies tend to be very round, often they have a generous layer of fat stored up for leaner times.
Their skin colors range from dusky yellow to tan and they have dark brown or black hair and fur. Their eyes are feral, usually green with red pupils. They often move hunched over and can even go down on all fours. They have claws upon their fingers and toes, not long enough to effectively be used as weapons but good for grabbing ahold of enemies or climbing trees.
Bugbears age marginally faster than humans, reaching adulthood around the age of 12 and becoming old around the age of 40. Even those Bugbears that are lucky to live long enough rarely live past 60 years.

Playing a Bugbear
Bugbears live on the very edge of the definition of beast and humanoid. They don't communicate much verbally, prefering a growl or a short utterance when it will suffice. They are quick to use violence to get their way and tend to be very focused on immediate rewards with little thought to the future. However, this does not mean they are dumb by any means; while they are not as crafty as goblins or as educated as hobgoblins, they are quite cunning and learn quickly. It's common for others to underestimate the intelligence of bugbears and just as common for those who do to pay for it dearly.
Bugbears are at home within the wild, they often feel more comfortable sleeping in the mud in the middle of a forest or in deep, dank caves as they are in cities. They dislike crowds and dislike being around even too many other bugbears at once. If it were not for all the even larger and deadlier creatures in the wild, bugbears might very well be solitary creatures.
The strongest of the bugbear's senses is their sense of smell. Their ability to pick up and indentify scents is more refined than nearly any other humanoid. They often pick up people or creatures by scent before they see or hear them. Many bugbears even refine this ability to the point of becoming successful trackers.
Bugbears are the result of countless generations of feral, wild goblinoids who regularly dominated one another by sheer size and strength. To this day, bugbears tend to look upon the strongest amongst the pack or the party as the proper leader. They can be very confrontational, perhaps especially with other goblinoids. However, for all their size and power many bugbears end up bowing to the superior combat mastery and willpower of hobgoblins or the overwhelming mysticism of a gobin shaman. When found together, the bugbear is rarely the commander of goblinoid groups.
There seems to be little room in the bugbear view of the world for deities. Although they do occassionally recognize some such as Maglubiyet within tales, only a very small fraction of bugbears regularly worship any deity. Instead they tend to focus on things that are tangible, practical and, preferably, edible.

Bugbear Characteristics: Animalistic, gluttonous, introspective, large, powerful, savage, violent

Bugbear Names: Bugbears do not have seperate names for males and females as there is no real societal difference between the two. Bugbear names tend to be short and harsh sounding, generally they can be mixed into a set of growls without standing out to an unfamiliar ear.

Names: Bzor, Dazs, Dokuxt, Dxegt, Gdom, Gsot, Kab, K'dur, Moxg, Rugt, Rsenk, Sazx, Sogt, Sorz, Sozekx, T'bax, T'borz, Tgerx, Tokr, Xokg, Zasexd, Zegx, Zuk, Zur

Backgrounds
Cavern Dweller
- You come from a tribe that lived within caves in the wild. You are quite comfortable being underground. What did your tribe eat? Did they come into regular conflict with other cavern dwellers? Have you ever been to the Underdark?
Associated Skills: Dungeoneering and Stealth

Pacifist - Unlike most bugbears, you don't go out looking for fights. You'd be perfectly content living alone in the meadows without anyone bothering you. Why have you taken up adventuring? Do your attempts at friendliness often go awry? How do you get along with other bugbears?
Associated Skills: Heal and Nature

Slave - You grew up as a slave for a brutal, cruel hobgoblin lord. How did you escape the slavery? How has your experienced colored your opinion of other humanoids? What sort of work did you do when you were a slave?
Associated Skills: Insight and Streetwise

Feats
Heroic

Cave Hunter
Prerequisite: Bugbear
Benefit: You gain dark vision.

Chain Fighter
Benefit: You gaina  +2 bonus to damage when wielding weapons from the flail group.

War Tracker
Benefit: You gain training in PErception. You also gain a +3 feat bonus to follow tracks of a group of 5 or more.

Paragon

Forceful Shove
Benefit: Whenever you push a target, you may push them 1 square further than normal.

Powerful Build
Benefit: You may use two-handed weapons as though they were versatile weapons.

Epic

Relentless Resolve
Benefit: Once per an encounter, when you become bloodied, you may use your Second Wind ability as an immediate reaction.

Paragon Path
War Strangler
Leaping and howling as it ravages its way through its foes, the War Stranglers are a force to be reckoned with. They sow destruction across the battlefield punishing as many enemies as possible. Often lead by more intelligence goblins, the War Stranglers often barely avoid harming their own allies and need to be controled when they get out of hand. They often decapitate their foes to honor their greatest hero, Hruggek.
As a War Strangler, you are amongst the most feared forces in the land. What you may lack in grace, cunning and charm, you more than make up for in unbridled brute force. War Stranglers favor flails and chains, using them to choke up and rack their enemies in the midst of battle. There are many different schools of War Stranglers, each with its own customs and attire, you'll most likely belong to one learning the ancient Bugbear techniques that have been passed down through oral history from one generation of prestigious warriors to the next

War Dance (11th Level) - Whenever you push a target, you may also shift 1 square.

Strangle (16th Level) - When you make a standard attack action, you may also make a grapple attempt as a free action. You may also maintain the grab as a free action when you make a standard attack action.

Rage Barrier (War Strangler Attack 11)
You swing your weapon before yourself wildly, creating a barrier around yourself to protect you from incoming blows.
Encounter * Weapon
Standard Action * Melee Weapon
Target:
Close Burst 1
Attack: None
Effect: Constitution Modifier Damage to all targets and you take half damage from weapon attacks until the end of your next turn.

Driving Assault (War Strangler Attack 11)
You make a powerful swing, sending all enemies before you flying through the air.
Encounter * Weapon
Target:
1 or 2 creatures in close burst 1
Attack: Strength vs. Reflex
Hit: 1[W] damage and targets are pushed 2 squares and knocked prone.

Body Shield (War Strangler Utility 12)
You use the victim in your grasp as a shield against its own allies.
Daily
Immediate Interupt * Personal
Trigger:
When targeted by a melee or ranged attack against AC or Reflex while grappling a target.
Effect: Your grabbed target becomes the target of the attack. You cannot use this to redirect attacks by the grabbed target.

Chain Flurry (War Strangler Attack 20)
You spin around in an arc, tearing into all enemies who have dared to close in on you.
Daily * Weapon
Target:
Each enemy in burst
Attack: Strength vs. AC
Hit: 2[W] + Strength modifier damage In addition, the target takes a -2 penalty to all defenses (save ends).
Special: If you are using a flail, on a roll of 10+ you may use this power during the next encounter.

I think the ability to use second wind twice per encounter is too powerful. It normally takes an epic feat for other races to do so.

If you're going for "tough and resilient," well include some other effects that trigger on a second wind. Perhaps Bugbears get temporary hit points when the use second wind, or their bonus to defenses is bigger.

Also, I don't like the powerful build feat. It just seems flat-out overpowered to me. 

A list of CharOp Handbooks I'm currently updating:

Heart of the Dragon: A Dragonborn's Handbook

Infernal Wrath: A Tiefling's Handbook

I think you are right about the second wind ability. I'll revise that now...

I'm not sure I see a problem with Powerful Build as a paragon tier feat. Unless I am missing something, it's effect is to merely give you an average of +1 damage as long as you are using a two-handed weapon (either you use it as a 1-handed weapon that ups your dice size by one size, so average of 1 extra damage, or you use it two-handed and get a flat +1 damage.) The only possible abuse I can see right now is perhaps using a reach weapon while using a shield (and right now, I'm not even sure why someone can't use a spear/pike and a shield at the same time since so many armies used to fight like that).

War Strangler
Leaping and howling as it ravages its way through its foes, the War Stranglers are a force to be reckoned with. They sow destruction across the battlefield punishing as many enemies as possible. Often lead by more intelligence goblins, the War Stranglers often barely avoid harming their own allies and need to be controled when they get out of hand. They often decapitate their foes to honor their greatest hero, Hruggek.
As a War Strangler, you are amongst the most feared forces in the land. What you may lack in grace, cunning and charm, you more than make up for in unbridled brute force. War Stranglers favor flails and chains, using them to choke up and rack their enemies in the midst of battle. There are many different schools of War Stranglers, each with its own customs and attire, you'll most likely belong to one learning the ancient Bugbear techniques that have been passed down through oral history from one generation of prestigious warriors to the next

War Dance (11th Level) - Whenever you push a target, you may also shift 1 square.

Strangle (16th Level) - When you make a standard attack action, you may also make a grapple attempt as a free action. You may also maintain the grab as a free action when you make a standard attack action.

Rage Barrier (War Strangler Attack 11)
You swing your weapon before yourself wildly, creating a barrier around yourself to protect you from incoming blows.
Encounter * Weapon
Target:
Close Burst 1
Attack: None
Effect: Constitution Modifier Damage to all targets and you take half damage from weapon attacks until the end of your next turn.

Driving Assault (War Strangler Attack 11)
You make a powerful swing, sending all enemies before you flying through the air.
Encounter * Weapon
Target:
1 or 2 creatures in close burst 1
Attack: Strength vs. Reflex
Hit: 1[W] damage and targets are pushed 2 squares and knocked prone.

Body Shield (War Strangler Utility 12)
You use the victim in your grasp as a shield against its own allies.
Daily
Immediate Interupt * Personal
Trigger:
When targeted by a melee or ranged attack against AC or Reflex while grappling a target.
Effect: Your grabbed target becomes the target of the attack. You cannot use this to redirect attacks by the grabbed target.

Chain Flurry (War Strangler Attack 20)
You spin around in an arc, tearing into all enemies who have dared to close in on you.
Daily * Weapon
Target:
Each enemy in burst
Attack: Strength vs. AC
Hit: 2[W] + Strength modifier damage In addition, the target takes a -2 penalty to all defenses (save ends).
Special: If you are using a flail, on a roll of 10+ you may use this power during the next encounter.

You may want to specify then that Powerful Build allows you to use 2handed weapons as 1-handed versatile weapons.

Otherwise, as it reads, they still must use them 2-handed, they just gain the +1 damage from doing so.  Versatile says that if you use a weapon 2-handed, you gain a +1 to damage with them, but since it's still a 2-handed weapon, they don't gain the ability to use it one-handed.
Bugbears are traditionally very good at moving quietly despite their size.  Don't drop the +2 Stealth.  If you want to replace something with +2 Perception, replace the +2 Intimidate.

Hoard: may earn you gp; Horde: may earn you xp.
I know this post is very old but I'm thinking it is better for the website to revive old posts than just start new ones if the subject is the same. I'm trying to make a Bugbear Ranger but a friend of mine relayed to me that some of the feats or racial powers or something on this character have been removed or altered over the past three years. I've never played 4e before so I'm wondering what those might be and how to build a bugbear character.
My Commander decks! http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29942477/Endrek_Sahr,_Master_of_Disaster http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29942329/*Rumbling_Stomach_Noises*_Guildpact_Borborygmos_Deck
I know this post is very old but I'm thinking it is better for the website to revive old posts than just start new ones if the subject is the same. I'm trying to make a Bugbear Ranger but a friend of mine relayed to me that some of the feats or racial powers or something on this character have been removed or altered over the past three years. I've never played 4e before so I'm wondering what those might be and how to build a bugbear character.

This isn't an official bugbear post.  You have been told more than once where to find information on bugbear characters and how to build one.  You are either fishing for something more than there is (there is very little) and should stop that or you aren't listening.... and should stop that.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here

This isn't an official bugbear post.  You have been told more than once where to find information on bugbear characters and how to build one.  You are either fishing for something more than there is (there is very little) and should stop that or you aren't listening.... and should stop that.

I'm sorry. I was not trying to be rude to you or any others that offered me help on building a Bugbear PC. I had seen this post and a friend of mine told me some of these feats were "busted" and got nerfed and I was wondering which ones when I start building my character so I would know what to avoid or change when using the OP's format. I hope that I did not seem ungrateful for the help you provided me.  I'm still very new to D&D 4E and I assumed that the OP must know something about bugbears or making PC's from monsters that I did not. I know I am somewhat on a fishing expedition but I'm looking for ideas for making a cool character from a monster so I assumed fishing would be necessary. Again, I'm sorry if my behavior came off as rude or ungrateful.
My Commander decks! http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29942477/Endrek_Sahr,_Master_of_Disaster http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29942329/*Rumbling_Stomach_Noises*_Guildpact_Borborygmos_Deck

I'm sorry. I was not trying to be rude to you or any others that offered me help on building a Bugbear PC. I had seen this post and a friend of mine told me some of these feats were "busted" and got nerfed and I was wondering which ones when I start building my character so I would know what to avoid or change when using the OP's format. I hope that I did not seem ungrateful for the help you provided me.  I'm still very new to D&D 4E and I assumed that the OP must know something about bugbears or making PC's from monsters that I did not. I know I am somewhat on a fishing expedition but I'm looking for ideas for making a cool character from a monster so I assumed fishing would be necessary. Again, I'm sorry if my behavior came off as rude or ungrateful.

Its not ungrateful, just not needed.  There isn't much to building a bugbear PC, and what there is is very simple and straightforward.  They use bigger weapons, they hit things.  Build a character who cares about weapon dice in heroic and have fun.

Mainly, it would help you to either get an insider account, or get access to one.  Then you can just click on bugbear in the character builder and have no worries. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here