Tranfering enchantments

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi all,

I was wondering what the cost was to transfer an enchantment?  Is it 200 gp per item (175 for ritual scroll plus 25 for components) or 30 (25 for components plus 5 for 20% markup)?  I am not a ritual caster.

Thanks!
Hi all,

I was wondering what the cost was to transfer an enchantment?  Is it 200 gp per item (175 for ritual scroll plus 25 for components) or 30 (25 for components plus 5 for 20% markup)?  I am not a ritual caster.

Thanks!

Depends on whether the DM says there is an NPC ritual caster around who can do it - but very often just 30g.
Keith Richmond Living Forgotten Realms Epic Writing Director
So best thing is just to wait for the beginning of an adventure and see what the DM says?  Does doing the tranfers between adventures incur the more expensive price?
If you are doing it yourself (and are not a ritual caster with the ritual mastered) or having another player do it for you, you have to buy the scroll and pay the component cost.  If you can get an NPC to do it, then it's cheaper.  However, that's up to the whims of the DM baed on where the mod is set.
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
Thanks very much for the replies, I appreciate the clarifications Smile

In between adventures or in a large city, such as Baldur's Gate or Waterdeep, It is assumed that you can find a Ritualist that has knowledge of Transfer Enchantment and pay the 30 gp cost. This assumes that you have time during the adventure. During adventures set elsewhere its up to the GM if such person is available. I suggest that you do it between adventures where its assumed you can find someone to do it for you.

What about level requirements?  The reason I ask is that I have a 5th level dwarf battlerager who is currently using a suit of dwarven chain +1 and a vicious execution axe +2.  I want to transfer the chain's enchant to a suit of scale (foregoing the +2 damage when I have temp hp) and the axe's enchant to a waraxe, thereby allowing the use of a heavy shield.  The armor shouldn't be a problem as it is a level 2 item, but what about the axe, as it is level 7?  I know that you can only create items of your level or lower, but does this apply to transferring enchants as well?  Although, I guess if an NPC was doing the enchant it wouldn't matter.

I'm just thinking that +3 AC and +2 Reflex would be nice, plus allow me to use feats that require a shield. (not that I have any shield feats at the moment, but in the future I might).
In between adventures or in a large city, such as Baldur's Gate or Waterdeep, It is assumed that you can find a Ritualist that has knowledge of Transfer Enchantment and pay the 30 gp cost.

In between adventures?  The availability of a ritual caster to do this for you is entirely up to the DM and/or the adventure (page 10 of the CCG).  So no, you can't decide in between adventures that you hire a ritalist to cast it at the 30 gp price when you have no DM or adventure to adjudicate it.
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
Are there level requirements for transferring enchantments like there are for item creation?  Or can you transfer an enchantment as long as you have an item with the enchant on it?
From the CCG v1.95, page 9 middle right column:
If you want to make any other change to a magic item, you must use the Transfer Enchantment ritual found in the Adventurer’s Vault and pay the appropriate costs for use. You can transfer any magic item quality to another legal item or add a quality to a magic item that does not have one, as long as you have access to the quality (see the Transfer Enchantment ritual for more details). See “Enchanting Magic Items” in Adventurer’s Vault, page 198 for more information.
Well, does "you have access to the quality" mean you must have an item with that quality, or does it mean you must be at least the level of the quality?

From my example above, I have a 5th level character who owns a suit of dwarven chain +1 (level 2) and a vicious execution axe +2 (level 7).  I'd like to transfer the chain's enchantment to a non-magical suit of scale, and the execution axe's enchantment to a non-magical waraxe.  As far as I can tell, the targets are both legal (you can have dwarven scale and a vicious waraxe).  I'm pretty sure the armor is a non-issue, but do I have to be level 7 before I can transfer the axe's enchant?

I just think the wording in the CCG is a little ambiguous, and would like a clarification.  I'm not trying to get something I shouldn't be able to, I'd just like to understand the rules so I can abide by them.
From my example above, I have a 5th level character who owns a suit of dwarven chain +1 (level 2) and a vicious execution axe +2 (level 7).  I'd like to transfer the chain's enchantment to a non-magical suit of scale, and the execution axe's enchantment to a non-magical waraxe.  As far as I can tell, the targets are both legal (you can have dwarven scale and a vicious waraxe).  I'm pretty sure the armor is a non-issue, but do I have to be level 7 before I can transfer the axe's enchant?

I don't believe that it'd be an issue; as you've been able to legally aquire the item in a treasure bundle, you've "gotten access" to it.
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"
Sign In to post comments