Incorrect Recommendation for Shadowy Rogue (page 56)

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Shadowy Rogue blurb says Any powers that let you move as part of your attack are excellent choices, because they can help you become hidden using the Cunning Sneak class feature.

I think it's unlikely they are referring to the ability to avoid the penalty for moving more than 2 squares (or running).  Unfortunately, the second portion of the Cunning Sneak class feature doesn't work with actions that allow you to move as part of your attack unless they are move actions (usually attacks are Standard or Minor, sometimes Free).

Cunning Sneak: ... If you end a move action at least 2 squares away from your starting position, ... 
For what it is worth, I am trading some comments with CS about this and related issues. I have the first comments down and have gone back to ask more.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Well CS is wrong in claiming that move action = any move.  However, instead of correcting the Shadowy Rogue blurb, maybe what is needed is an errata of the class feature instead.

Cunning Sneak: ... If you end movement at least 2 squares away from your starting position, ... 

Well CS is wrong in claiming that move action = any move.  However, instead of correcting the Shadowy Rogue blurb, maybe what is needed is an errata of the class feature instead.

Cunning Sneak: ... If you end movement at least 2 squares away from your starting position, ... 

Given what CS says, this is absolutely true. The wording on the feature should be changed.

Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

I will discuss this issue with CS. It should be resolved in upcoming revision to the first line of the Stealth skill.

D&D Producer

Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to update the forums. Sometimes we aren't sure if folks are listening, and knowing is very cool.

It's understandable. I'm going to try and flag threads I've reviewed going forward, though it's worth mentioning that I review almost all the threads in these forums (sometimes it just takes me a while). I only spend a couple hours working on this each week, so it just requires me to have a spare moment from putting out fires over on the Char Op boards to look here. I'm hoping this will also make Keithric's job easier when compiling issues from threads.

D&D Producer

I will discuss this issue with CS. It should be resolved in upcoming revision to the first line of the Stealth skill.

THANK YOU. As it stands, Stealth can't be used by the Arcane Power utility spell "Summon Shadow Serpent", because the Shadow Serpent takes a minor action to move, not a move action.  Changing it from "at the end of a move action" to "at the end of an action that involves movement" or something to that effect, would REALLY help not just with Cunning Sneak, but a whole slew of things related to Stealth.
Show

You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what you create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - D&D Compendium

57047238 wrote:
If you're crossing the street and see a city bus barreling straight toward you with 'GIVE ME YOUR WALLET!' painted across its windshield, you probably won't be reaching for your wallet.
I Don't Always Play Strikers...But When I Do, I Prefer Vampire Stay Thirsty, My Friends
This is what I believe is the spirit of D&D 4E, and my deal breaker for D&D Next: equal opportunities, with distinct specializations, in areas where conflict happens the most often, without having to worry about heavy micromanagement or system mastery. What I hope to be my most useful contributions to the D&D Community: DM Idea: Collaborative Mapping, Classless 4E (homebrew system, that hopefully helps in D&D Next development), Gamma World 7E random character generator (by yours truly), and the Concept of Perfect Imbalance (for D&D Next and other TRPGs in development) Pre-3E D&D should be recognized for what they were: simulation wargames where people could tell stories with The Best Answer to "Why 4E?" Fun vs. Engaging