Character Name Generator

31 posts / 0 new
Last post

Never again suffer the indignity of an elf named “Melf”, a bartender named “George”, or a mysterious unnamed stranger in town. The D&D Name Generator creates countless names for your heroes or NPCs, specific to their gender, race and class -- including titles and honorifics!.

www.wizards.com/dnd/Tool.aspx?x=dnd/4new...

==================================================================

Post any discussion about the Character Name Generator here. I will check in on this thread from time to time and do my best to fix any issues you have with viewing on various browsers as well as any other technical issues.

=M=

Update 3/11/2010

First name and surname fields have been hidden and can no longer be selected.
Several layout/css issues resolved across all browsers.
Added "Generate 20" feature to allow quick generation of 20 names at a time.

Update 2/25/2010

• fixed problem with names being generated one letter off. Any currently saved names will change to their corrected values.

• changed the generate name button to ask you if you want to reset the form if you followed a link to the page. 

• clicking "link" no longer actually links you anywhere, instead it opens a small window with a textbox that you can copy & paste a link from.

• added a "print" link below the results area that opens the results in a new window in a printer friendly format.

• fixed some CSS display issues with Safari, Opera, Chrome, and FF.

Known Issues - Fixes

• Sometimes the link box will not appear when clicking "LINK"... Try holding doen your left **** key and refreshing the browser.

When you click on the info buttons, nothing happens.
Are the last 20 names generated, ones that I generated or overall? There are a couple showing that I didn't generate.

Spelled "provided" as "provoded" in the instructions.
There's a couple incorrect noun/verb agreements:
"Is your characters primarily seen..."
"This generator requires the use of javascript and utilized cookies..." 

"Reset Form" doesn't actually reset the form fields. Is it supposed to?
Also, I initially did a dwarf sorcerer. Changing the class did not change the name. Is it supposed to or just the aka's? I would think that if you wanted "countless" names, they'd be based on more than just the letters from your name. 
The "Printer Friendly" only displays the instructions, not the generated name.
So this is basically a reskin of the old name generator, correct?
Are the last 20 names generated, ones that I generated or overall? There are a couple showing that I didn't generate.

Overall. The generator creates a name whenever the page is fully refreshed so just going to the page creates a name for the last 20 list.

Spelled "provided" as "provoded" in the instructions.
There's a couple incorrect noun/verb agreements:
"Is your characters primarily seen..."
"This generator requires the use of javascript and utilized cookies..." 

Thanx I will fix those.

"Reset Form" doesn't actually reset the form fields. Is it supposed to?

Hmm.. I just tested it on IE7, IE8, FF 3.5.8, Opera 10.10, Chrome 4.0.249.89, and Safari 4.0.4 on my Windows Vista machine and it resets the form for me every time. What Browser/Version and OS/Version are you using? 

Also, I initially did a dwarf sorcerer. Changing the class did not change the name. Is it supposed to or just the aka's? I would think that if you wanted "countless" names, they'd be based on more than just the letters from your name. 

Changing the class will only change the AKA's. The name generates from several tables. The first name is from 6 possible tables for male, female, and ungendered. The surname is generated based on the race of the character.   

The "Printer Friendly" only displays the instructions, not the generated name.

Correct the javascript isn't currently included in the printer friendly page template. I will investigate adding it or creating a printer friendly button that lets you print the specific name you created.

So this is basically a reskin of the old name generator, correct?

Incorrect... it uses the same basic premise for creating names however it replaces the VBScript code base and serverside implementation with javascript. It also includes new data for names and surnames as well as other things specific to 4th edition for the AKA's.

=M= 

I tested using Safari 4 on a mac.
I was really excited about this, because I hate having unnamed NPCs in my game, but the names don't appear to be correlated to the races very well if at all.  I tried generating names for Warforged and none of them sound like tools or implements at all.

from the Eberron Player's Guide page 33: "Warforged Names: Azm, Book, Bulwark, Cart, Cutter, Falchion, Graven, Hammer, Mark, Morg, Nameless, Pierce, Pious, Relic, Rune, Steeple, Three, Titan, Unsung, Victor, Watcher, Zealot"

I expected to see more like that rather than "Thalzan, Rithdrin, Quirbane, Bharolin, Harmice, Bharzan, Myryss, Galbane, Galxen, Faerdrin, Orzan, Bharloth, ..."
Another strangeness associated with Warforged names is that the surnames are not accurately associated with the selected starting letter.  There are a very limited number of name in the system for warforged, so selecting a letter will always return the same surname.  I have listed the first few that didn't match the letter I selected:

Surnames starting with A: Bronzeclamp
Surnames starting with B: Cambered
Surnames starting with H: Gearguts
Surnames starting with I: Gussetplate
Surnames starting with J: Hingeblade
Surnames starting with K: Howetruss
Surnames starting with L: Ironhide
Surnames starting with M: Jackbrass
Surnames starting with N: Kingpost

There are probably more, but I got bored...

I just checked it on Safari 4.0.4 on a Mac with Snow Leopard and it resets just fine. I will look into the code and see about adding a little more redundancy to the form reset and see if that helps but it is hard as I cannot reproduce what your seeing.

=M=

I was really excited about this, because I hate having unnamed NPCs in my game, but the names don't appear to be correlated to the races very well if at all.  I tried generating names for Warforged and none of them sound like tools or implements at all.

from the Eberron Player's Guide page 33: "Warforged Names: Azm, Book, Bulwark, Cart, Cutter, Falchion, Graven, Hammer, Mark, Morg, Nameless, Pierce, Pious, Relic, Rune, Steeple, Three, Titan, Unsung, Victor, Watcher, Zealot"

I expected to see more like that rather than "Thalzan, Rithdrin, Quirbane, Bharolin, Harmice, Bharzan, Myryss, Galbane, Galxen, Faerdrin, Orzan, Bharloth, ..."

There is an "Ungendered" first name set of tables however no table was created specifically for warforged first names. I will pass that along to the designers and see if we can add that in a future update.

Another strangeness associated with Warforged names is that the surnames are not accurately associated with the selected starting letter.  There are a very limited number of name in the system for warforged, so selecting a letter will always return the same surname.  I have listed the first few that didn't match the letter I selected:

Surnames starting with A: Bronzeclamp
Surnames starting with B: Cambered
Surnames starting with H: Gearguts
Surnames starting with I: Gussetplate
Surnames starting with J: Hingeblade
Surnames starting with K: Howetruss
Surnames starting with L: Ironhide
Surnames starting with M: Jackbrass
Surnames starting with N: Kingpost

There are probably more, but I got bored...

The list of surnames is about 35 or so names. Selecting a letter will always return the same surname. However allowing it to randomly generate the name will pick from the entire list. I have asked for additional surnames to add to the generator in a future update.

Thanx for your feedback =)

=M=

I just checked it on Safari 4.0.4 on a Mac with Snow Leopard and it resets just fine. I will look into the code and see about adding a little more redundancy to the form reset and see if that helps but it is hard as I cannot reproduce what your seeing.

=M=

It does appear to be working now. It wasn't the day I posted that.

=m=
The images for the buttons doe not load (IE7 on XP).

Also there does not seem to be much variety for a given set of initials (typically the same first name, by gender)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

I opened this on my web browser and it is always missing the generate name button? I keep getting dwarf female names......
Nice, been almost 3 weeks and none of the issues brought up have been addressed. Not even the easy stuff like correcting misspellings. 

=m= 
The images for the buttons doe not load (IE7 on XP).

Also there does not seem to be much variety for a given set of initials (typically the same first name, by gender)

The images for ie7 will be fixed in the next update. As for variety, well the generator has a single entry for each specific letter if you want variety do not set a letter and it will choose form the random list. I have asked for the lists to be expanded when we do an update with new classes and races in the near future.

I opened this on my web browser and it is always missing the generate name button? I keep getting dwarf female names......

That is probably an ie7 issue and should be resolved in the next update. As for it always generating dwarf female names I have not been able to get the generator stuck in that way, if I am able to reproduce the problem I will try and resolve it. What browser version and OS are you using?

Nice, been almost 3 weeks and none of the issues brought up have been addressed. Not even the easy stuff like correcting misspellings. =m= 

That is NOT true... on feb 25th there was an update.
  • fixed problem with names being generated one letter off. Any currently saved names will change to their corrected values.

• changed the generate name button to ask you if you want to reset the form if you followed a link to the page. 

• clicking "link" no longer actually links you anywhere, instead it opens a small window with a textbox that you can copy & paste a link from.

• added a "print" link below the results area that opens the results in a new window in a printer friendly format.

• fixed some CSS display issues with Safari, Opera, Chrome, and FF.

Can we get a massed output option? I'd like to get a list of 20 or so names so I can quickly pick one that looks good.
Can we get a massed output option? I'd like to get a list of 20 or so names so I can quickly pick one that looks good.

Hmmm... it is possible to create something like that. I will look into how easy it is to fit it into the UI of the generator.

=M=

"link" link doesn't do anything for me. And form reset is also not working again.

=m= 
"link" link doesn't do anything for me. And form reset is also not working again.

=m= 

I will look for a mac and see if I cen reproduce the problem your having.

I see in IE7 on windows that the info icons are working. This is not the case in FF or Safari on mac. 
Also the link link generates a new name but doesn't provide a text box with link in it. 

=m= 

Hmmm... it is possible to create something like that. I will look into how easy it is to fit it into the UI of the generator.

This feature will be in the next update (later this week).

I see in IE7 on windows that the info icons are working. This is not the case in FF or Safari on mac. 
Also the link link generates a new name but doesn't provide a text box with link in it. 

I am still looking into issues with the generator on a mac. I don't yet have an ETA on it but thought I would let you know I am looking into it. Thanx for your help.

=MJ=

I checked the generator on OSX 10.6.2 / Safari 4.0.4 and was unable to reproduce the problems you have indicated.

=MJ=
Update 3/11/2010

First name and surname fields have been hidden and can no longer be selected.

The fields were meant to always create the same name when selected by the user, however users got confused by this and they have been removed. The results will now only use the random setting of those fields.

Several layout/css issues resolved across all browsers.

Added "Generate 20" feature to allow quick generation of 20 names at a time.

By request we have added a feature that will quickly generate 20 names and flip to the "Last 20" tab.

NOTE: if you are having trouble with the "LINK" box appearing when you click link try shift-refreshing your browser.

ENJOY =)

=MJ=
I checked the generator on OSX 10.6.2 / Safari 4.0.4 and was unable to reproduce the problems you have indicated.

=MJ=

Link box doesn't work on any of the macs running Safari 4.0.4 or Firefox 3.0.11. I tested it on 3 computers running either 10.6.2 or 10.5.8.
This is awesome.  I can't wait to share it with my players.  Thanks!
Any chance of this being updated to include PHB3 races and classes? I'm looking for a name for a Shardmind Psion, so I'm out of luck on both counts. Great tool though, otherwise.
Good tool but the first names dont seem to be race connected at all which spoils the feel a little as the handbooks give a set of sample names for each race that give one a feel for what phonemes appear in that race's culture, using this as a guide you can then make names "sound" right for that culture.

Eg. sample Dwarf names male: Adrik, Baern, Berend, Darrak, Eberk,
Fargrim, Gardain, Harbek, Kildrak, Morgran, Orsik,
Rangrim, Thoradin, Thorfin, Tordek, Travok, Vondal

sample Halfling names male: Ander, Corrin, Dannad, Errich, Finnan,
Garret, Lazam, Lindal, Merric, Nebin, Ostran, Perrin,
Reed, Shardon, Ulmo, Wenner

so if i named a character Grandak he would sound dwarven, but if i named him Linnan then he would sound more halfling.

I put a half-orc in and got names out that sounded more like Eladrin!! so for the timebeing i am just generating my own names for npc's and characters since I can get a feel for a language even when its a made up one.
CENTER]IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)[/CENTER]