Walking armoury fighter - where to hold all the weapons?

36 posts / 0 new
Last post
I play a half-orc Fighter/MC Ranger (two-weapon fighting).  He carries a veritable armoury of weapons with him - visually I pictured him at first as something like Geralt of Rivia (The Witcher), though with even more weapons hanging off of him.  Naturally, I know that it doesn't matter by the rules if he physically has spots on his body to 'holster' his gear - if you're not over-encumbered, you can carry as much as you want and draw anything as a minor action.  From a characterization point of view, though, it's very important to me to be able to picture where he has all of the gear equipped - and I'm at a loss because I want to carry more.

Maybe someone here might have suggestions on more places to attach scabbards without straining disbelief too much? 

Here's the current load-out:
- 2x bastard swords - sheathed on his back and drawn from above the shoulders (again, see the Witcher) - these are his primary weapons
- 3x javelins - also on his back, in a sheaf
- 2x handaxes - one strapped to the outside of each thigh
- 2x daggers - lower leg, tucked into each boot
- 1x drow long knife - scabbard on right hip - this weapon is carried pretty much purely for flavour, as I wouldn't get enough use out of it to justify taking the proficiency feat
- harness on chest to hold important consumables (again, very much inspired by The Witcher)
- Satchel on belt with, you know, stuff

- 1x longbow and quiver - never been used yet, so it's the one weapon I picture as being stowed seperately, rather than

I want to fit another bastard sword and a fullblade into that mix.  Bastard sword isn't so bad - I guess it can be sheathed at the same hip as the drow knife (samurai wore two blades at the same hip, so why not?).

Where in blue blazes could I fit a fullblade or greatsword, though?  I want a Farbond Fullblade for some hardcore heavy thrown firepower, but I'm starting to stretch my imagination as to how he would carry the thing.  :P
Just hold it in your hands. When you want to draw something else, chuck the Fullblade at someone. Just don't forget to pick it up later!

cheers,
Meshon
Thanks for the feedback.
Get a Deep Pockets Cloak?  A fullblade is just at the weight limit to stow an item in it.

My suggestion:
sam__max_-_surfin_the_highway_tpb-0.jpg

Perhaps you can put 2 bastard swords on one hip, one and the drow long knife on the other, then the fullblade on the back. Or maybe have the fullblade strapped horizontally across the bottom of the back. Hard to fit through doorways, but drawing it would look badass.

Or just go with the Deep Pockets Cloak.
gloves of storing can hold a fullblade as well.  might add another level of fun to throwing a farbond fullblade, as not only is it an unlikely projectile, it literally appeared out of nowhere.
This is the happy swamp. Love it. I am red/blue, I think logically and act impulsively.
I'll second the glove of storing for the farbond fullblade.

But I have to ask, just why the freaking hell do you need three bastard swords??

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

I'll second the glove of storing for the farbond fullblade.

But I have to ask, just why the freaking hell do you need three bastard swords??

He normally dual wields two of them.  The third will be a Farbond bastard sword for ranged attacks.  Currently a third isn't needed, because Tazok carries a bunch of other thrown weapons to use for ranged basic attacks.  However, I plan on taking the Kensei paragon path - so once level 16 is reached, there's a need to stick more to using bastard swords, as using anything else will lose the Kensei Focus and Kensei Mastery bonuses for the rest of the encounter.  Having a throwable bastard sword avoids that risk.

Now, the real question is why he would need a fullblade.  The DM has allowed me to get the Githzerai Blade Master feat in place of Weapon Focus as a result of training from a Githzerai NPC, so I've now got fullblade proficiency - naturally, now I want to carry one.  It's pretty much just decoration, and a really big decoration at that - but I'm sure I can find a chance to use it at some point.

Deep Pockets Cloak and Gloves of Storing are options, though I'd be more likely to just stick it in my Handy Haversack.  Ideally it wouldn't be in a container item, as that requires a minor action to retrieve.  One of the reasons I like bladed weapons is that I can stock up on magic scabbards to draw and attack with them as a single action.

Thanks for the continuing feedback.

Have two of the Bastard swords basically sheath into a sheath that is open ended both ends.  He could draw one up and over his shoulder while the other would be drawn down and around his other arm.  In regards to the third sword and the Drow long knife, have you seen the way Sneak Eyes wears his blades in the GI JOE movie?  The Long knife could be tight across his lower back, kidney area, and the bastard sword then slung low across the same side hip. 

Across the opposite shoulder then the bastard sword get up you’d have the Broad sword.  The Quiver that holds the Javelins could be sectioned to also hold arrows in a separate area, and it hung at the hip.  As seen in these pictures www.mtn-m.co.uk/html/archery.html

Your Bow could be made to break apart in the middle and be stowed in two pieces.

www.centaurarchery.com/takedown.htm

Just some of my ideas.

Nerp

Some good ideas there, Nerp.  I particularly like the long knife across the lower back.

I believe it's time for a pack-halfling.

I update my campaign through http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/aversill Monstro is the difference between Frankenstein and Pinnochio.
Thanks.

Now I have figure out where to holster a halfling.

A halfling?  No, no, no.  Two of them.  Dual wield.  Transfer all magical properties onto the feet of 2 fatherless (aka bastard) halflings and have it man.  Unfortunately, they will take up a leg item slot for the pair.

I update my campaign through http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/aversill Monstro is the difference between Frankenstein and Pinnochio.

A halfling?  No, no, no.  Two of them.  Dual wield.  Transfer all magical properties onto the feet of 2 fatherless (aka bastard) halflings and have it man.  Unfortunately, they will take up a leg item slot for the pair.

Not to mention that they are a hand and a half(ling) weapon.  (I'm so sorry for that)

I will say though, that if you're going to go to the effort of duel wielding halflings why not go all the way - duel wield duel wielding halflings.

Is that Gromnir the Skullcleaver, smiter of the Lithian Hydra and symbol of the lost faith of Dhim-kanak, wielded by twelve generations of heroes of legend, forged from the heart of a balor and the spleen of a kraken in the eight-fold forgeflower of Mount Celestia by the great taskmaster Belok, lost to time after the Fall of Usher's House and found again by the great sage Barl, held in chains until the coming of the true heir of blademastery in Kord's own high temple in your pants, or are you just happy to see me?

The answer to "where does he keep those" should always be "In the same place I keep my keys."  Finding those, on the other hand...
Is that Gromnir the Skullcleaver, smiter of the Lithian Hydra and symbol of the lost faith of Dhim-kanak, wielded by twelve generations of heroes of legend, forged from the heart of a balor and the spleen of a kraken in the eight-fold forgeflower of Mount Celestia by the great taskmaster Belok, lost to time after the Fall of Usher's House and found again by the great sage Barl, held in chains until the coming of the true heir of blademastery in Kord's own high temple in your pants, or are you just happy to see me?

The answer to "where does he keep those" should always be "In the same place I keep my keys."  Finding those, on the other hand...

No, it's like all of that, but held until the coming of the true heir of halfling-mastery.

Doesn't mean he's not still happy to see you, though.
Get a pack-animal of some sort.  I suggest a large dog or wolf.  Custom fit armor on it and work the weapons into the armor design.  It stays out of the fight until you need a new weapon in which case it runs past you and you draw your new weapons while it goes by.
Your arms are unused space. Any smaller weapons or ammunition can be strapped to your forearms and biceps.

The original core books said that this was our game too. It doesn't feel like that anymore.

Get a pack-animal of some sort.  I suggest a large dog or wolf.  Custom fit armor on it and work the weapons into the armor design.  It stays out of the fight until you need a new weapon in which case it runs past you and you draw your new weapons while it goes by.

Or, if you want, an NPC lackey to be your squire and bring you your weapons when called on.
The Smithy Knew He'd Lost His Groove When Scalding Sparks Left His Chin Too Smooth Dwarvenshave

My suggestion:
sam__max_-_surfin_the_highway_tpb-0.jpg

Nice, but I rather like this one:

I am White/Green
Your arms are unused space. Any smaller weapons or ammunition can be strapped to your forearms and biceps.

True.  Not sure what I can add there other than more daggers, though.  Some ammunition could be strapped to his arms, but not enough to negate the need for a quiver as well.  I suppose some minor items like whetstones could be placed there, too.
You're already wearing a harness on your chest.  What about a leather plate in the shape of a heater shield run across your back, with sheaths strapped to it with the hilts fanned out behind your head?  You could strap the fullblade sheath down to it, then the three bastard sword sheaths over that, so if you're drawing your melee weapons you reach up over your shoulders, and for throwing swords you reach behind your head.  You might have to lean forward and bow your head to get the end of the blade free, but if you have the Quick Draw feat you could combine the motion with leaning into the throw.

Since reach is expressed in 5' increments in this game, the reach of your weapons in inches is inconsequencial.  You could favor dwarf-made swords that have broader, shorter blades with the same weight, which would let the bottoms of the scabbards clear higher on your back.  The fullblade is still a bit of a problem if you want to sit down, but since the weapons are all strapped down to one leather plate on a harness, you could shrug the whole affair off, essentially strapping all your weapons on and off yourself at once and carrying the rig if need be.

The rig would be mostly flat, so if you had another plate to lash over the scabbards you could put D rings on it and hook on a backpack over them.

That leaves your hips and shins free for your small arms.  If you're tall enough, you could have frogs riveted to your greaves to hold dagger sheaths, and put the long knife on a belt frog.
"When Friday comes, we'll all call rats fish." D&D Outsider
Hrm, definitely some food for thought there.  Thanks.
Perhaps this is what you're looking for?Laughing

3470019000_11fa85a7c0_o.jpg

EDIT: Picture fixed.
Or maybe this guy
"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
Perhaps this is what you're looking for?

It's possible!  But I'm at work where Flickr is blocked by Websense, so I can't see the image and can only use my imagination to fill in the humorosity of the presumed joke.  :P
Perhaps this is what you're looking for?

It's possible!  But I'm at work where Flickr is blocked by Websense, so I can't see the image and can only use my imagination to fill in the humorosity of the presumed joke.  :P

Trust me, it's pretty funny. Laughing
The Smithy Knew He'd Lost His Groove When Scalding Sparks Left His Chin Too Smooth Dwarvenshave
Quick question...how many weapons is he CARRYING!? Tongue out

I swear all this guy would need is a ki focus to use all of them! Money mouth
I have found myself wishing for a ki focus, but alas, I have no access to them.  As for number of weapons?  I don't want to count, so I'll just say all the ones I listed in the OP.  :P

BTW: In our last game session on Sunday, Tazok used his longbow for the very first time, due to a room that kept teleporting him around.  Unfortunately, I had to ditch it during the fight - due to the room teleporting him into another completely sealed room, where he dropped it on the ground to more rapidly draw his blades.
The Assassin multiclass feats Shadow Initiate and Acolyte of the Veil provide access to ki foci and any future monk multiclass feats will likely give you that option too. Laughing
Tazok already has MC Ranger feats, so he can't further MC into any classes that use a Ki focus.
Maybe Tazok was born in the region of the Windrise Ports? Innocent
Adopt one today!
The correct answer of course is, "Bend over and I'll show you".

Usually a good answer when someone asks you where you keep all those weapons. 
Maybe Tazok was born in the region of the Windrise Ports? Innocent

Tazok was born and raised along the River Tesh, near the ruins of Zhentil Keep... but he also has a background as a Wandering Duelist.  A very intimidating wandering duelist.  I wouldn't give up that intimidate bonus for the world.

The correct answer of course is, "Bend over and I'll show you".

Usually a good answer when someone asks you where you keep all those weapons. 

You mean he should have weapon holsters on his lower legs right?  I'll just assume that's what you mean.
Quick question...how many weapons is he CARRYING!?

I swear all this guy would need is a ki focus to use all of them!

I counted 28. (On the picture Mythril-Sage posted.)

I'd need a ki focus to CARRY all of them.

"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
Sign In to post comments