Warforged Racial Feats - (Martial Focused)

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Originally this started out with the intent to design only martial feats for Warforged, due to the race's inherent affinity for the power source.  The results of this are below (Under the Martial heading), and I'm quite proud of them (if I may say so m'self).

However, I think I've about wrapped that up.  Instead of starting a new thread though, I'm going to continue on in this thread.  Now there will be other Warforged feats - either general-pupose, or for other power sources.  Check them out below!

The Old Intro...
Well, Martial Power 2 is out, and I find Warforged (a race specifically made for battle) to be woefully under-represented on the feat front.  One racial feat (for Fighters) - and while it's not a bad feat, I expected a lot more.  Especially given that we won't be seeing any more Martial/Warforged feats until Martial Power 3 (if it's made - but I'd bet money on it), or until they're covered in Dragon.

So I've put together a few feats, and I'd love to see if anyone else has any ideas (for Warforged, or any other race you feel wasn't well enough supported in Martial Power 1 or 2).

Warforged Feats

------------------------------------

Embedded Arsenal
Prerequisite: Warforged
Benefit: You can embed two weapons in each arm.  You can embed any combination of 2 of the following: a one-handed off-hand or light thrown weapon; a set of up to five shurikens; any implement that can be wielded in one hand.  Each embedded weapon can be drawn or retracted as normal, though you can only have one embedded item drawn in each hand at a time.
Notes
[Note: This one seemed like an obvious option as I designed the first two Arcane feats.  With such an emphasis on embedded items, giving the option to expand the number of embedded weapons seems like an obvious choice.  I'm not sure the wording is clear, though.  The intent is for you to essentially have two "slots" in each arm, instead of one.]

Arcane Warforged Feats

Embedded Implement Spellcaster
Prerequisite: Warforged, any arcane class
Benefit: When you use an arcane attack power and you are wielding an embedded implement, you gain a +1 bonus to damage rolls with arcane attack powers.
Notes
[Note: Originally this was going to be more like Dual Implement Spellcaster, and give the option to "wield" an embedded implement without having to draw it.  However, I didn't want it to stack with Dual Implement Spellcaster, and I felt the "wield a still-embedded implement" bit was a bit... messy.  I may still consider trying to add that second bit in, if I can make it function better.  As-is, this is a minor benefit, but it stacks with other damage-increasing feats.]

Resolved Tinkerer
Prerequisite: Warforged, artificer
Benefit: When you use your warforged resolve racial power, you can forgo the temporary hit points to grant a single creature you summoned using an artificer summoning power temporary hit points equal to 3 + one-half your character level.
Notes
[Notes: I felt like this is an "obvious" feat, giving a little synergy between Warforged characters and summoned minions.  My only concern here is that it may be too much - however, 3+1/2 level doesn't seem like it's going to be that much.  Dunno.  I might adjust it in the future.]

Surging Resolve
Benefit: When you use your warforged resolve racial power, you can forgo the temporary hit points to gain a bonus to the next damage roll you make with an arcane power before the end of your turn equal to 3 + one-half your character level.
Notes
[Note: This was the first arcane warforged feat I thought of.  Seems an obvious match, much like the Dwarf's Rune-Scribed Soul, but with enough of a distinction to make it unique.  I like the image of a Warforged Arcanist drawing from his own animating force and channeling that into his magic.]

Martial Warforged Feats

Battlefist Brawler
Prerequisite: Warforged, fighter, Brawler Style class feature
Benefit: The damage die of your unarmed attacks increases to 1d6.  Your damage die for spiked gauntlets (Adventurer's Vault, page 9) increases to 1d8.  If you have a spiked gauntlet attached or embedded, you gain a +3 proficiency bonus with attacks using the gauntlet, instead of the gauntlet's normal proficiency bonus.  You gain a +1 feat bonus on attack rolls with attached or embedded spiked gauntlets.
Notes
[Note: I thought this meshed well with the idea of the "Battlefist", as well as the image of warforged as living weapons.  Like many of the Dwarf class feats, it's really just an improved version of an existing feat.  In this case, it gives a slight bonus when using attached spiked gauntlets.  I considered letting them use the full "unarmed proficiency bonus" with spiked gauntlets, but considering that they can be enchanted, I figured a +6 Prof weapon was probably too much at 1d8 damage. EDIT: After some consideration, I decided that the feat was really giving too much.  So now, along with (I think) a clearer wording, it only provides a feat bonus (instead of increasing the weapon's base prof. bonus), limiting the number of other effects it can stack with.  Given the recent errata to the Expertise feats, allowing this to remain a feat bonus negates its benefits, and its type has removed.]

Concealed Weapon Feint
Prerequisite: Warforged, rogue
Benefit: The first time you draw an embedded weapon as a minor action in an encounter, you can make a Bluff check to try to gain combat advantage (Player's Handbook, page 183) as a free action.
Notes
[Note: As you can tell, I'm a fan of giving Warforged feats that interact with their ability to attach/embed component items. This one seems like a fairly minor benefit, usable once per encounter.  I don't know of any "Improved Feint" feat or feature though, so this might be too much (since it essentially combines Draw and Feint into a single minor action, instead of the normal Standard to feint).]

Living Weapon
Prerequisite: Warforged, fighter, Combat Challenge class feature
Benefit: If you have your weapon attached or embedded, you gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls for opportunity attacks and for attacks granted by your Combat Challenge class feature.
Notes
[Note: This is fairly basic - really just a slightly different Combat Reflexes (though it stacks with that) for Warforged who use attached weapons.  I wanted some kind of bonus with attached/embedded weapons, and this is sort of what seemed to work best.  Not my favorite idea though.]

Practiced Soldier
Prerequisite: Warforged, any martial class
Benefit: When you make an Initiative check, you make two rolls and use the higher result.  You gain a +2 feat bonus to initiative checks.
    You can master and perform martial practices (MP2, p.147) keyed to the Athletics or Endurance skills.
Notes
[Note: This was one of those "Isn't it obvious?" kind of options.  Mechanically, this feat is a "Dragonmark" for warforged, though it gives access to some martial practices instead of rituals.  I toyed around with other benefits, but the Initiative one seemed to fit well.  I've considered reducing the time it takes to perform Athletics or Endurance practices (something like "Martial practices keyed to Athletics or Endurance take only half the normal time to perform"), but... I'm not sure.  EDIT: After consideration, rerolling make this feat too much of a "must have" instead of a "nice to have."  In response to this problem, I'm taken it a step backward, and elimited the reroll in favor of a normal feat bonus to initiative.  This means that, while Warforged characters might take this feat, it isn't a clear choice over Quick Draw or Improved Initiative, or even Practiced Study.]

Reinforced Battlerage
Prerequisite: Warforged, fighter, Battlerager Vigor class feature
Benefit: If you have your armor attached, you gain a +1 feat bonus to the number of temporary hit points you gain from using an invigorating power.  This bonuses increases to +2 at 11th level and +3 at 21st level.  In addition, you gain the bonus damage granted by Battlerager Vigor while wearing attached scale or plate armor.
Notes
[Note: Warforged Battlerager is an obvious race/class combo, so I wanted some kind of feat to support it.  Like many of the other feats, I wanted to emphasize the ability to attach equipment as the trigger for unique warforged styles.  This feat is a slightly different version of Improved Batterager Vigor, which should allow Dwarfs to remain superior BR fighters.  I've contemplated, alternatively, having it be an untyped +1 bonus.]

Resolute Companion
Prerequisite: Warforged, ranger, Beast Master class feature
Benefit: Your beast companion also benefits from your warforged resolve racial power.
Notes
[Note: This one seemed obvious - most other races have a "special" companion-based feat.]

Resolved Leader
Prerequisite: Warforged, warlord, Battlefront Leader class feature
Benefit: The target of your battlefront shift power gains temporary hit points equal to 3 + one-half your level.
Notes
[Note: Battlefront Leader seems like it has an obvious conceptual synergy with the Warforged race, so I wanted a Warforged Warlord feat to work with that.  I'm not sure if this bonus would be too much, since it carries with it a fairly decent temporary hit point boost.  I'm not even sure if, conceptually, temporary hit points are the way to go here.]

Warborn Tempest
Prerequisite: Warforged, fighter, Tempest Technique
Benefit: When you are wielding two attached or embedded melee weapons, you gain a +1 bonus to damage rolls.  In addition, you gain the bonus damage granted by Tempest Technique while wearing attached scale or plate armor.
Notes
[Note: While Warforged Tempest isn't as obviously thematic a choice as many of the other Fighter builds, I wanted to round it out - to have a Warforged racial feat available for each Fighter build.  It makes sense to me to cover every Warforged Fighter with a feat, because it's such a conceptually perfect matchup.  This feat gives a minor bonus to the Tempest, and, like Reinforced Battlerage, gives the Warforged character a bit more incentive to stay with the heavy heavy armors.]

Warforged Armor Training
Prerequisite: Warforged, any martial class
Benefit: If you have your armor or shield attached, you don't take an armor check penalty to any skill checks.
Notes
[Note: This is another feat that is just better than the option available to other races (again, much like Dwarf feats).  In this case, it allows the warforged the benefit of both of the "Armored X Training" feats from MP2, but only while the armor is attached.  I would have preferred it be called "Second Skin," but alas the feat name is already taken.]

Primal Warforged Feats

Livewood Brambles
Prerequisite: Warforged, any primal class
Benefit: When you use your warforged resolve racial power, you can forgo the temporary hit points to deal damage equal to your Constitution modifier to any adjacent creature that hits you with a melee attack before the end of your next turn.

Livewood Spirit
Prerequisite: Warforged, shaman
Benefit: When you use your warforged resolve racial power, allies adjacent to your spirit companion gain temporary hit points equal to your Constitution modifier.

Psionic Warforged Feats

Psiforged Body [Augment]
Prerequisite: Warforged, warforged resolve racial power, Psionic Augmenttion class feature
Benefit: While you have at least 1 power point, you gain a +1 feat bonus to saving throws against ongoing damage.
    When you use your warforged resolve racial power, you can spend 1 power point to regain additional hit points equal to your Constitution modifier.

Psiforged Resolve
Prerequisite: 11th level, warforged, any psionic class, Psionic Augmentation class feature
Benefit: When you use your warforged resolve racial power, you also regain 1 power point.

Resolute Mantle
Prerequisite: Warforged, warforged resolve racial power, ardent, Ardent Mantle class feature
Benefit: When you use your warforged resolve racial power, allies within the radius of your Ardent Mantle gain temporary hit points equal to your Constitution modifier.

This bit is pure "fluff," but I'm including it anyways.

Warforged and Tribal Feats

House Cannith drew from many different disciplines and styles when created the training regimens for their artificial soldiers.  Some of their experts at arms drew from their knowledge and experience with the various tribal groups in Khorvaire and beyond - the Drow of Xendrik, the Halflings of Talenta, the druids of the Eldeen - and formulated training exercises for specialized Warforged units.  Special teams of Warforged were formed without their members ever knowing of the tribal histories behind their particular skills.  These include: Immortals (Courageous Heart, Enduring Mountain, and Fearsome Host), Infiltrators (Audacious Crow, Four Winds, and Midnight Stalker), and Protectors (Bloodied Spear, Swift Jaguar, and Watchful Owl).

Warforged Immortals were units of specially trained heavy shock troopers.  Their instructors drew aspects of their training from the toughest, most fearsome tribes of warriors in all of Khorvaire.  They were taught to shake off their wounds while charging headlong into the enemy's ranks.  They were taught to be fearless in the face of death, and to turn their fears back onto their enemies to make them break and run.  All survivors of Immortal units bear grim scars on their psyche, as they watched many of their brothers fall in battle at their side.

Warforged Infiltrators were units of specially trained sabotuers and spies.  Their instructors drew aspects of their training from the most cunning and agile tribal practices.  They were taught to slink through the shadows, bypassing all barriers and obstacles to reach their goals.  Very few Infiltrator units were trained during the war, as most nations prefered their own citizens for the types of missions the units were trained for.  Those surviving members of Infiltrator units are often secretive and private - they are uncomfortable outside of the shadows and the darkness.

Warforged Protectors were units of specially trained bodyguards.  Their instructors drew aspects of their training from the most attentive tribes, and those able to most quickly react to danger.  They were taught to stand vigilent guard near their particular leige, watching for any sign of danger and reacting at the slightest provocation.  Some members of House Deneith found the training of Protector units to be an unwelcome invasion into the House's particular sphere of influence.  Because of this, House Cannith trained relatively few units of Protectors, often retaining them for use by prominent members of the House.  Many members of Protector units survive, often still in service to House Cannith's more prominent members.  Those who do not still serve in their old capacity are often dedicated allies, quick to come to the aid of their comrades at the first sign of trouble.

Tribal Feats can be found in Primal Power, starting on page 136.  A chart listing them (along with other feats) can be found on page 138.  Tribal Feats can be taken by characters from any power source.

There's lots of room for other ideas, but these are all I've come up with as of yet.  Laughing

Thoughts?

EDIT (2-22-10): Updated Battlefist Brawler and Practiced Soldier, toning both of them down, and changing their "extra" benefits to feat bonuses (to prevent stacking).  Added Concealed Weapon Feint, Resolute Companion and Resolved Leader.  Added the "Warforged and Tribal Feats" sidebar.  Also edited formatting to collapse Notes into sblocks.

EDIT (5-10-10): No updates or changes to speak up, only an addition.  Added Reinforced Battlerage - an option for Battlerager Warforged.  I'm sloooowly piecing a few more together, before I plan on moving on to either the same power source with a different race, or the same race with a different power source.

EDIT (6-14-10): Minor Major update.  Added Warborn Tempest, officially rounding out all of the Warforged Fighter ideas.  I've also added the first few Arcane feats (yes, I'm expanded the coverage of this thread), and a general feat related to embedded items.

EDIT (8-26-10): I don't know why they were never added before (since I've had them done), but I've updated with a few Primal feats I've had for a long time.  I think I was holding on to them in case WotC wanted my material for a Dragon article (they did not, it seems).  In addition, I've put some psionic feats together.  Maybe more later?
Feedback Disclaimer
Yes, I am expressing my opinions (even complaints - le gasp!) about the current iteration of the play-test that we actually have in front of us. No, I'm not going to wait for you to tell me when it's okay to start expressing my concerns (unless you are WotC). (And no, my comments on this forum are not of the same tone or quality as my actual survey feedback.)
A Psion for Next (Playable Draft) A Barbarian for Next (Brainstorming Still)
Just an update (detailed in first post, but hey, why not, eh?).

I edited a few of the feats, and added a few more (Concealed Weapon Feint, Resolute Companion and Resolved Leader; a Rogue, Ranger, and Warlord feat, respectively).

As always: Thoughts?
Feedback Disclaimer
Yes, I am expressing my opinions (even complaints - le gasp!) about the current iteration of the play-test that we actually have in front of us. No, I'm not going to wait for you to tell me when it's okay to start expressing my concerns (unless you are WotC). (And no, my comments on this forum are not of the same tone or quality as my actual survey feedback.)
Long time no post!

Anyways, updated the first post.  Added Reinforced Battlerage.  I'm including it here so people don't have to go dig it out, if they don't want.  Tongue out

Reinforced Battlerage
Prerequisite: Warforged, fighter, Battlerager Vigor class feature
Benefit: If you have your armor attached, you gain a +1 feat bonus to the number of temporary hit points you gain from using an invigorating power.  This bonuses increases to +2 at 11th level and +3 at 21st level.  In addition, you gain the bonus damage granted by Battlerager Vigor while wearing attached scale or plate armor.

As always: Thoughts?
Feedback Disclaimer
Love the tribal feat flavor text!!!
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Holy Crap!
Someone actually read/responded to this thread!

It only took 4 months.  Tongue out

--------------------------------------------------------------------

And thank you.  As I work on Eberron materials here and there, I often run into points where a specific mechanic I want is already available... so rather than doubling up, I like to put together a bit more "Eberron-specific" fluff for them to make them fit.
Feedback Disclaimer
Very well done IMO.  I've always felt warforged were lacking any real benefit from attached/embedded weapons and armor.
Very well done IMO.  I've always felt warforged were lacking any real benefit from attached/embedded weapons and armor.

Thanks!

I found that, of all of the Warforgeds' aspects, attached/embedded equipment was the most conceptually "unique" - it made me want to work with that aspect more than any other.
Feedback Disclaimer
I'm just glad for the new ranged warlord powers: finally a class that can make proper use of the Armbow Superior Crossbow!
I'm just glad for the new ranged warlord powers: finally a class that can make proper use of the Armbow Superior Crossbow!

Hah, yeah.  Could swing a Rogue with it too, but I know what you mean.

------------------------------------------------------------

Unrelated, I've added another few feats to the OP:

Embedded Arsenal
Prerequisite: Warforged
Benefit: You can embed two weapons in each arm.  You can embed any combination of 2 of the following: a one-handed off-hand or light thrown weapon; a set of up to five shurikens; any implement that can be wielded in one hand.  Each embedded weapon can be drawn or retracted as normal, though you can only have one embedded item drawn in each hand at a time.

Embedded Implement Spellcaster
Benefit: When you use an arcane attack power and you are wielding an embedded implement, you gain a +1 bonus to damage rolls with arcane attack powers.

Resolved Tinkerer
Prerequisite: Warforged, artificer
Benefit: When you use your warforged resolve racial power, you can forgo the temporary hit points to grant a single creature you summoned using an artificer summoning power temporary hit points equal to 3 + one-half your character level.

Surging Resolve
Benefit: When you use your warforged resolve racial power, you can forgo the temporary hit points to gain a bonus to the next damage roll you make with an arcane power before the end of your turn equal to 3 + one-half your character level.

Warborn Tempest
Prerequisite: Warforged, fighter, Tempest Technique
Benefit: When you are wielding two attached or embedded melee weapons, you gain a +1 bonus to damage rolls.  In addition, you gain the bonus damage granted by Tempest Technique while wearing attached scale or plate armor.

Feedback Disclaimer
These are really good man.  Have you pitched this as an article to WotC yet?
These are really good man.  Have you pitched this as an article to WotC yet?

Er, no.  How does one do that?
Feedback Disclaimer
Love the tribal feat flavor text!!!

Seconded!
"The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23
Also...just as a thought...have you considered writing any fluff or flavor for Warforged who might have been created by implementing some magebreeding techniques of House Vadalis (perhaps a Cannith spy who stole secrets or a Vadalis traitor)?  Such forging might result in cool mechanical benefits and perhaps dragonmarks (a 14th one maybe).

I don't know...I think the idea is kind of compelling.
"The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23
Also...just as a thought...have you considered writing any fluff or flavor for Warforged who might have been created by implementing some magebreeding techniques of House Vadalis (perhaps a Cannith spy who stole secrets or a Vadalis traitor)?  Such forging might result in cool mechanical benefits and perhaps dragonmarks (a 14th one maybe).

And how, may I ask, are you breeding warforged?

YellTongue out

And how, may I ask, are you breeding warforged?

/shrug....I suppose that's left up to the imagination.

"breeding" probably wouldn't have anything to do with it though...probably just some combination of Cannith and Vadalis technomagic, if you will...a special forge or something.../shrug

lol...if I was good at this sort of thing I would have written something up
Hey look, replies again!  Tongue out

---------------------------------------------------

I agree with upriest that "breeding" is probably the wrong way to go about it.  Tongue out  But I generally like the concept.

I would consider adapting Spellscarred, but it just... doesn't really fit the concept.  I'm going to try to put a "bloodline" together, that might be more useful (though it will be usable by all races).  In addition, the Dhampyre (or however they spell it Tongue out) bloodline may fit for some particular concepts (ie - undead augmentation).

I'll put some work on it (it sounds fun), and post it in its own thread, then link to it from here.  If I can't put something together that seems satisfactory though, I'll let you know.
Feedback Disclaimer
The thread link, as promised: LINKY! ("Enhanced" Bloodline).

Not sure what I think of it yet, but it's the latest attempt (the others were scrapped because they were terrible).  It could probably be renamed "Magebred Bloodline", but I'm not sure I like that as name (though it's a great souce for this background in the Eberron setting).
Feedback Disclaimer
Ha!  And update.  I've finally added my Primal (only two) feats, as well as a few Psionic feats.  Enjoy folks, because it looks like it won't be showing up in Dragon.  Tongue out

Livewood Brambles
Prerequisite: Warforged, any primal class
Benefit: When you use your warforged resolve racial power, you can forgo the temporary hit points to deal damage equal to your Constitution modifier to any adjacent creature that hits you with a melee attack before the end of your next turn.

Livewood Spirit
Prerequisite: Warforged, shaman
Benefit: When you use your warforged resolve racial power, allies adjacent to your spirit companion gain temporary hit points equal to your Constitution modifier.

Psiforged Body [Augment]
Prerequisite: Warforged, warforged resolve racial power, Psionic Augmenttion class feature
Benefit: While you have at least 1 power point, you gain a +1 feat bonus to saving throws against ongoing damage.
    When you use your warforged resolve racial power, you can spend 1 power point to regain additional hit points equal to your Constitution modifier.

Psiforged Resolve
Prerequisite: 11th level, warforged, any psionic class, Psionic Augmentation class feature
Benefit: When you use your warforged resolve racial power, you also regain 1 power point.

Resolute Mantle
Prerequisite: Warforged, warforged resolve racial power, ardent, Ardent Mantle class feature
Benefit: When you use your warforged resolve racial power, allies within the radius of your Ardent Mantle gain temporary hit points equal to your Constitution modifier.
Feedback Disclaimer