Best Budget Extended Deck?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I mainly play Standard, but I want to try to expand my horizons a bit. I want to try and put together a deck (even just mildly competetive) in the Extended format, but really have no idea where to start. I don't want to drop the cash on Goyf and the likes right away and not even like playing extended that much, so can anyone make a recomendation for a low cost (not necesarrily dirt cheap, but as low budget as possible) deck that could be good for a start in the Extended format?

I searched and found a couple pre-existing threads, but wasn't sure how things might have changed with the new set coming out (doubt it had a big effect, but I basically know little to nothing about extended).

Oh and as far as style goes, I really enjoy most of anything. In standard I play aggro, mid range, and control, and casual I have LD and other random crap, so as long as it's a fun deck to play I couldn't really care less about the style.

Thanks for any advice.
My Trade Thread My Decks: Standard: Esper Control, Junk Rites Modern: Twin Legacy: Sac Land Tendrils, Oops All Spells (Under Construction) Pauper: UB Post My Magic Blog "9/10 decks I make are terrible; and I make A LOT of decks!" -Pat Chapin
Elves.  It won the most recent GP and is very cheap.  You will have to pack hate, such as viridian shaman maindeck probably though, since it just recently won.
Also the new Boros deck. If you are a standard player, you probably have a lot of the pieces needed for this deck already.
Also the new Boros deck. If you are a standard player, you probably have a lot of the pieces needed for this deck already.

True.  All-in-red, affinity, and dredge are also traditionally cheap decks.
The thing thats going to kill any budget deck is the mana base.  If you already own the fetches from standard you should be pretty well off.  For example with the mana base and the maelstorm pulses (sideboard) for Travis Woo's living end deck is going to cost you about $200, but without it your only paying $50.  If you were going to replace the pulses with putrfy and went with basics or trilands you would do fine.
Thanks for the suggestions. After looking through all of them and some more the elves deck looks like a lot of fun to play (and I already have half of the cards from the GP winning deck) so I think I'm going to try that out.
My Trade Thread My Decks: Standard: Esper Control, Junk Rites Modern: Twin Legacy: Sac Land Tendrils, Oops All Spells (Under Construction) Pauper: UB Post My Magic Blog "9/10 decks I make are terrible; and I make A LOT of decks!" -Pat Chapin
Hijacking this thread a lil. I am in the same boat as the OP. Preparing for my local PTQ.
Was thinking of something moderately cheap. Don't want a deck which have goyf or wallet-slayer angel. Besides AIR and Mono-red burn, are there anything else?

And, whats the difference between mono-red burn and AIR besides all the rituals in AIR? Which is relatively better?
Burn and Air are completely diffirent. One is a fast Prision/lock combo deck, the other is a pile of lightning bolts. Air is better.

I would recommed to all of you to get fetchs (10$ is the lowest they'll go) and 1 of each of you favorite ravinca duals. Once you have these your set for the next 4 years of EXT. the decks will change but the mana bases won't

Have a Hilarious magic related story that you want shared? Send me a PM, and your story might be posted at

myblog

Sign In to post comments