The Kaeltori: A Race of Mind and Mount

12 posts / 0 new
Last post

This is a race designed for my D&D Campaign, set in the world of Findaelin. In this world, there are a people known as the Kaeltori, who are largely based off of Celtic people of the old days. Some of the history is specific to the campaign world, but it could be easily be adapted to serve a regular D&D campaign. In my campaign, the Kaeltori are the descendants of a fallen psionic empire similar to Atlantis that rose to power long before the Nerathi Empire came into being, and whose blood-lines give them empathic abilities. However, this is easily adapted to suit anything you wish. I also wanted to bring back a race similar to the Aasimar in that it had a +2 to Cha and +2 wisdom.

THE KAELTORI

An indomitable people of both mind and mount, whose abilities both inspire their allies  and terrify their enemies.

+2 WIS, +2 CHA
Medium Size
6 Square Speed
Normal Vision

+2 Endurance, +2 Intimidate
Languages: Common, choice of one other
Empathic Demoralize: You do not take the -5 penalty to Intimidate checks for being unable to speak a language that your target understands.
Kaeltori Fortitude: You have a +1 racial bonus to Fortitude Defense.
Empathic Inspiration: Non-Kaeltori allies within 5 squares of you gain a +1 bonus on saving throws.
Beast-Bonding: You gain Mounted Combat as a bonus feat.

Disheartening Visage
Encounter * Fear
Minor Action * Close burst 3
Target: Each enemy in burst
Attack: Cha, Wis, or Int +3 vs Will (+6 at paragon, +9 at epic.)
Hit: The target takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls until the end of your next turn.

As wild and stubborn as the horses and animals that roam the highlands and mountains, so are the Kaeltori. Even as the Nerathi Legions invaded the mountains of their homelands, their people fought with such determination and ferocity that even the best legionnaires were shaken in the wake of a Kaeltori attack. Once united under the immortal king Kasaldar, the people thrived despite their harsh homeland. Now with their king finally dead, their future is uncertain, and the Kaeltori must now take the reins of not just their mounts, but their destinies as well.

Play as a Kaeltori if you want to…

• Be a fierce and stubborn survivor who uses empathic abilities

• Inspire your allies and demoralize your foes

• Be Celtic-like in your background

• To play a Leadership role

• To utilize mounts and beast companions like no other race

• To be a member of the race that specializes in the warlord, paladin, battlemind, cleric, battlemind, psion and ardent classes.

Physical Qualities:

Kaeltori resemble humans for the most part, although their complexions are typically limited to more pale tones, and hair colors typically range from dark brown to light blonde and red. They typically are 5 and a half feet to 6 feet high, with a stocky build. Kaeltori typically wear clothing made of tartan material, including kilts and robes. They also wear furs, skins and ornate jewelry depending upon their position in society, with the torque being the most important piece of jewelry out of them all. Sometimes, a Kaeltori child is born with slightly bluish birth-marks across their skins. Many outsiders are perplexed by this, as are the Kaeltori, who call such a birth mark a blessing from the ancestors.  When going into battle, Kaeltori will paint themselves in special blue and green dies, which are said to imbue the warrior with supernatural abilities to frighten their enemies. While the idea of being covered by paints is scoffed at by many lowland soldiers, those who have fought the Kaeltori know that it serves more than just a symbolic purpose…

Playing a Kaeltori:

The Kaeltori tribes once ruled over a large vast section of land that covered the continent. They were amongst the first few humans to truly utilize iron and beat long tapered swords and heavy mails out of them. In fact, the invention of the Longsword is attributed to their people. But with the rise of the Nerathi empire, much of the Kaeltic lands were conquered in its vast expansion, forcing and isolating the remaining tribes in the northern Kaeldoni mountains. Then, just as the Nerathi empire set its sights on the remaining tribes, a mysterious figure known as Kasaldar emerged from the darkness. Little is known of him, other than he was a great hero, and possibly immortal at that. How he became such a thing is an even greater mystery. But one thing was for sure: He was no mere legend. He went to the Kaeltori people and utilized their innate proficiency for psychological warfare and refined it, teaching them new fighting styles and disciplines unheard of amongst these ‘savages’. The Kaeltori people now were no longer a mindless rabble crushed under the foot of the legions of Nerath. They not only turned back the Nerathi conquest, they retook the entirety of the Kaeldoni mountains. The Kaetori are also known for their empathic abilities, which allow them to become close to animals and beasts, especially horses. This is possibly one of the reasons that Kasaldar took an interest in these people, as it is said he had such abilities himself (How he had such abilities is again a mystery). Their people survived the destruction of the Nerathi empire and the subsequent kingdoms and empires that came after it. However, the Tiefling empire of Bael Turath eventually invaded the Kaeldoni Mountains, though conquering their lands was not believed to be their true motivation. It was in this conflict that Kasaldar was slain, splintering the only thing that held the Kaeldoni people together for centuries. Now the clans bicker over who should inherit Kasaldar’s position, tearing the remaining people apart in an already heavily contested land.

Despite the inborn empathy for living things, the Kaeltori can be as stubborn and relentless in pursuing an agenda as anything, for having endurance and fortitude is required in living in the harsh mountain environments of the Kaeldoni highlands. The Kaeltori are in fact considered somewhat barbarous, but many of these myths have been debunked. They are a brave, tenacious people who are not easily intimidated or pushed around, and the ability to stand by one’s own beliefs and values is considered a paramount value in their society. Despite being a very warlike, the Kaetori are known for shrewd diplomats and advisors, as they must forge peace and alliances between the clans in order to survive in their environment and the many threats that it presents. History has known many brave Kaeltori leaders who have heard their call and rode to their destinies like their ancestors before them. Will this new generation of Kaeltori rise to the occasion and circumstances presented to them, and carve their mark into history? Only time will tell.  

Male Kaeltori Names: Artherr, Caedmon, Naethanyl, Bryce, Bryan, Cyrric, Connall, Connor, Deverell

Female Kaeltori Names: Brianna, Caoihme, Cerdwin, Cordelia, Deidrie, Fionn, Morrgann, Newlynn, Shayla, Sylvia

This is just the Racial profile. I will publish feats and racial paragon paths later. I want to thank Omnirahk_half-Rahkshi, Crimson Concerto and kaveh500 for helping me to make this. I appreciate your input.

D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - D&D Compendium

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

The Chronicles of Findaelin: An ongoing world building process! Let me know what you think!
The Chronicles of Findaelin

Feats

Improved Beast-bond
Tier: Heroic
Type: Racial
Prerequisites: Kaeltori, Beast-bond Feature
While you are mounted on a natural beast, you gain a +2 speed and +1 to AC. If you have a beast companion, it gains a +2 to speed and +1 to AC. This bonus is not retroactive if your beast companion functions as your mount. 

Overwhelming Visage
Prequsites: Kaeltori, Disheartening Visage racial power
Disheartening visage is extended to close burst 5.

Empathic Coercion
Tier: Paragon
Prequisites: Kaeltori, Empathic Demoralize Feature
You gain a +5 on an intimidate check against a bloodied target.

Courageous Inspiration
Prequsites: Kaeltori, Empathic Inspiration Feature
Your empathic inspiration feature now gives non-Kaetori Allies a +2 to Saving Throws at 11th level and +3 at 21st.

Bonds of Fortitude
Prerequisites: Kaeltori, Kaeltori Fortitude Feature,
When any ally within 5 squares you spends a healing surge or uses their second wind, they gain a +1 bonus to their Fortitude Defense until the end of their next turn.

Ancestor's Blessing
Prerequistites: Kaeltori 
Pale Blue birth marks run across your body. You gain a +2 to endurance checks made against the conditions of Severe weather, Hunger, Altitude, and Cold. You also gain the Ancestor's Prescience Utility power.
Ancestor's Prescience                                       Racial Power
With your birthmarks glowing slightly, You stretch out with your emotions and feelings, and your sword becomes an extension of yourself as you percieve attacks and openings.
Daily * Stance
Minor Action    Personal
Requirement:
You must not be bloodied, and You must be using a Heavy Blade with the Versatile Property, spear or axe.
Effect: You gain a +1 to AC and Reflex to attacks made against you and +1 to attack. 
Special: This stance ends when you become bloodied or you drop your weapon.  

Remedial Bond
Prequisites: Kaeltori, Beast Bond Race feature
If you spend a healing surge within 3 squares of your mount/beast companion, your mount/beast companion gets temporary hit points equal to your healing surge value.

Cut and Thrust Carnage
Prerequisites: Kaeltori
While bloodied, you receive a +1 to damage while using a Heavy Blade with the Versatile property. This increases to +2 at 11th and +3 at 21st.

Trip 'em up or pull 'em down
Type: General
Prerequisites: Lochaber Axe Proficiency
If a charging enemy provokes an attack of opportunity while in the reach of you using a lochaber axe, roll the attack as usual. If it succeeds, in addition to taking normal damage, the enemy falls prone. If mounted, the enemy is automatically dismounted with no saving throw, falls prone and takes an additional [1W] of Damage from the impact.

Axes at the Ready
Prerequisites: Lochaber Axe Proficiency
Once per encounter,  you can ready your lochaber axe as an immeadiate interrupt to end forced movement, also gaining a +1 to all Defenses and cannot be pushed, pulled or slid.

Lochaber Axe Proficiency
Type: Weapon Proficiency Feat
Prerequisites: NA
This allows you to use the Lochaber Axe.

Master Mounted Combat
Tier: Epic
Prequisites: Mounted Combat
The -2 Penalty on your attacks while mounted in a confined or indoor space no longer applies.

Terrifying Visage
Tier: Epic
Type:Racial
Prequisites: Kaeltori, Overwhelming Visage,Disheartening Visage racial power 
Description: Your Disheartening Visage now weakens all enemies in the blast until the end of your next turn. 

The Chronicles of Findaelin: An ongoing world building process! Let me know what you think!

Kaeltic Knight (Racial PP)

Class Features:
Undaunted Charge (Level 11): Any time you charge on a mount, any ally within 5 squares gains a +2 On AC from opportunity attacks when charging until your next turn.

Saddle Up, Hold on tight (Level 11) Mounting or dismounting a creature is minor action instead of a standard action. You also recieve a +5 Bonus to your saving throw to stay in your saddle if your mount is knocked prone.

Demoralizing Action (Level 11): Each time you spend an action point to make an extra attack, you can also make an intimidate check against that enemy. If you succeed, the enemy takes a minus two to its attack rolls until your next turn.

Courageous Example (Level 16): Once per day, if an ally fails a skill check, re-roll and substitute your charisma or wisdom modifier for their ability modifier.

Powers

Courageous Bladesmanship- Level 11
Encounter * Weapon
Free Action * Melee Weapon
Requirement * You must be using a Heavy Blade with the Versatile Property, spear or axe.
Condition: You hit an enemy.
Target: One enemy hit by the triggering attack
Effect: [2W] + Wis or Cha Modifier, and the target grants combat advantage for the next attack you or an ally makes against it before the end of your next turn.

Beast-bond Beckons- Level 12
Encounter Utility
Minor Action
Target: Single Attuned Non-hostile Mount or Beast Companion
Effect: You let out a long and clear whistle, at which point your mount comes to you. You must attune yourself to a single non-hostile creature with the mount or beast companion keyword. Once per Encounter, as a minor action, you can summon your mount or beast companion to a space adjacent to you. 

Furious Glorycharger - level 20
Daily * Fear, Weapon
Standard Action * Melee weapon
Requirement: You must be mounted to use this attack
Primary Target: One creature
Primary Attack: Cha, Int, or Wis vs Will; you must charge the target and use this power in place of a basic attack.
Hit: 3[W]+Cha, Wis, or Int mod damage and the target is knocked prone.  You then make a secondary attack that is Close burst 3
Miss: Half damage and you knock the target prone.  You do not make a secondary attack.
Secondary Target: Each enemy in burst other than the primary target.
Secondary Attack: Cha, Int, or Wis vs Will
Hit: The target is dazed (save ends).

Kaeltori Items:

The Lochaber Axe

Superior Two-handed Melee weapon
Cost: 50 GP
Damage: 1D8
Proficient: +3
Weight: 12 Lbs.

Properties:
Reach
High Crit

Group:
Axe
Polearm

Kaeltori Enhancements:

Kaeltori Armorweave
Adorned with symbols, motifs and designs, when worn by a Kaeltori, this armor's impressive appearance is only rivaled by its flexibility.
Level :3, 13, 23
Cost: 1000, 9,000, 136,000
Enhancement Bonus: +1, +4, +7
Heavy Armor:  Scale, Plate and Chain:
Property: If you are a Kaeltori, Your penalty to speed is reduced by 1.
Power (Daily):Minor: Until the end of your next turn, each enemy within 5 squares takes a -2 penalty to its will defense.

Retributive Edge
This fearsome looking blade was crafted by Kaeltori Blade smiths, allowing you to strike back at your enemies with the rage of the ancestors.

Level: 14,19,24,29
Price: 21,000 gp, 105,000G Gp, 525,000 2,625,000
Weapon: Heavy blade With the Versatile Property, Spear, Axe
Enhancement: +3,+4,+5,+6 attack rolls and damage rolls
Critical: +1d8 damage per plus
Power (Encounter * Fear): Free.Trigger: An enemy has just bloodied you with a melee attack. Effect: You get to make a basic melee attack against that target. Aftereffect: If your attack hits, the target is weakened and dazed (Save ends both).

Kaeldoni Woad
(Consumable, Racial)(Heroic Tier, Paragon and Epic)                                    Level 6, Level: 6,11,21
Properties:                                                       350 GP (Heroic), 1,000 GP (Paragon), 9,000 GP (Epic)
This specialized paint gives a Kaeltori a +2(+3 Paragon, +4 Epic) to intimidate and insight checks.

So here it is. How is it? Any critiscisms or ideas?

racial features too focused and situational for me, and the feats 'Cut and Thrust Finesse' 'Armor of the Ancestors' and 'Zeal of The Ancestors' are far too overpowered.

I for one do not call its features focused or situational. I designed the race to be exceptional leaders, defenders, and a race that takes advantage of Mounted Combat. Mounted combat is not situational, as it can be easily utilized in both indoor and outdoor environments through various types of mounts. If the person doesn't want to be a mounted soldier, that's fine. He can take advantage of some of the leadership aspects of the races, such as intimidation and the ability to inspire allies through various saving throws. I tried to make it as balanced as possible by making it somewhat situational but still applicable in a large number of circumstances.

I do not agree that Cut and thrust finesse is over powered. For one, it requires a very specific weapon type and the person in order to keep that bonus must not be bloodied. This feat is geared towards strikers and leaders that utilize melee combat but must also careful of how the direct their attacks in a melee circumstance.

Cut and Thrust Carnage was designed to complement that for defenders and strikers so that if they were bloodied, they'd compensate for a lack of accuracy with a bonus of damage.

Armor of the Ancestors is overpowered. That I agree on. I'll change it so that you have to qualify for the prereqs.

Zeal of the Ancestors I'll simply roll into the racial paragon path as a class feature.

EDIT: I just added over 5 new feats that add to the versatility of the race. I also redid Cut and Thrust Finesse, making it into Blessing of the Ancestors, and got rid of Zeal and Armor of the Ancestors completely. Check it out, and give me your critcisms and Ideas.

EDIT: I just added a new Epic level general feat called Master Mounted Combat.

Well, I hope this is better. If anyone wants to go ahead and give it the thumbs up for play, please do so.

I like it, though it seems very similar to a "themed" kalashtar.  Regardless, the only thing that concerns me is the feat "Empathic Coercion".  Depending on the DM, this could be an "Instant Win" button against Bloodied Creatures.  Any half-sane DM would start ruling against surrender.

Otherwise, you've done a good job here. 
Thanks. I put alot of effort into trying to make this. If anything is flavored in D&D though, its the Kalashatar, as they are part of the ebberon campaign arc.
But I think empathic coercion could easily be fixed. For example:

Empathic Coercion
Prequisites: Kaeltori, Empathic Demoralize Feature
Against a bloodied oppenent, you recieve a +5 to your intimidate check.

That way, it ensures that more hostile oppenents have more of a  chance to stay hostile, while leveling the playing field against unfriendly targets.

Bump. Just took care of that.

Heh. I was just wondering if anyone would be willing to playtest this race and see if it works. I know I'm going to try to.

Does anybody know a program in which I could convert this info into a racial Template for the character builder and how I would go about doing that? If that could be done, I could then start building characters with it.

I'm submitting this to the Race compendium for possible use. If you have any concerns, please express them now as you will be unable to do so in the near future.

Bump. Sorry, the link to the race can be found at:

Now, would anyone want to help me create some monster templates for these guys?

Sign In to post comments