Two questions: Potions/Consumables purchase and Mod availablility.

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
"You can purchase any magic item that is equal to or less than your level with your gold, as long as you have access to it."
Does that include potions or not? For example, can a level 1-4 character buy potions of healing (level 5) or only get them from mods?

-----------

Are there currently any mods that can only be ordered for certain venues? For example, are there mods currently available for convention play but not store play? (The encounters deal and an upcoming convention had me thinking about that.)
q1:
You need to be 5th level to purchase the potion of healing. Thats why they include it as one of the bundle rewards at the end. Its a soft fix to the problem. 
I think the reason for it is the price of the item and its level. If it were a level 1 item, it might be extremely cheap-for what the power does. 

q2:
As far as I know, both store play and convention play are considered WPN public play and therefore no restrictions for LFR purposes. I believe this policy may be changed in the future to give modules premiering at Gencon and DnDXP more appeal (so increasing the wait time for modules to go from convention play to general public). I do not know about the Battle Interactive.  
Like you said, there is no differentiation between store play and convention play: both are public play. So you can play the BI at a store. Of course, a BI is not nearly as fun and interesting at a 1-table store game than a dozen-table convention.
Like you said, there is no differentiation between store play and convention play: both are public play. So you can play the BI at a store. Of course, a BI is not nearly as fun and interesting at a 1-table store game than a dozen-table convention.

I'd rather play a 1-table store game with a good group of friends than at a dozen-table convention with a lot of people I didn't know.

Besides, I know all the good places to eat around where the local game stores are.

'Course, the BI mechanics do make it more interesting to play with more tables, and you can say "My group killed THREE (fill in blank)!" at a multitable event.

So I suppose there's really something to be said for both ways.
I'd rather play a 1-table store game with a good group of friends than at a dozen-table convention with a lot of people I didn't know.

Just my personal feelings, but if this is the case you're missing out on part of what the RPGA is all about.  I have seen groups of people come to Cons (big and small) as preformed 6-man tables and they play together the whole time and I never understood that.
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf

Just my personal feelings, but if this is the case you're missing out on part of what the RPGA is all about.  I have seen groups of people come to Cons (big and small) as preformed 6-man tables and they play together the whole time and I never understood that.

Sorry Dragon9, but I'm afraid you took what I wrote a *little* out of context.  I'm sure that's only because I kept my response short, and intended my response to be read in light of what Madfox11 wrote.

Like I wrote earlier, there's something to be said for both parts.  To elaborate - sure, you like your favorite food, but you don't want it all the time, right?  Same thing for playing with close friends and playing with a lot of people you don't know at conventions, I say.

Some of the preformed 6-man tables you refer to are players that were friends at some point, then moved away from each other.  So they meet up at conventions.  Others are people from the same area that still want to share the experience of the convention together, maybe to talk about and remember their shared experiences later.

Yet others are probably up to something . . . better keep an eye on 'em.  Wink

Yeah, the conventions are fun to wander around as a random player and see the differences between builds, rulings, and roleplay. I get to see how players not used to my characters react and that's a lot of fun. 
Some of the preformed 6-man tables you refer to are players that were friends at some point, then moved away from each other.  So they meet up at conventions. 

That's me, in many cases.  I have gaming friends who live all over the country (and with whom I often play online).  Many of us will shoot for getting together at a big convention once a year (Origins or GenCon), and take advantage of the opportunity to play together, face-to-face, for a few days.
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"
IMO the best RPGA games are at 2-4 table stores (such things are rare, I admit).  Cons are just too hectic and stressful - I lost my voice by the end of the last Con because I'd been yelling over 50 other people.