All along the crooked way - An Assassin's Handbook

674 posts / 0 new
Last post
Did we ever figure out what the Assasin "needed" to work at higher levels?
When I played on my DM just upped the shrouds count, 1-4 at heroic, 1-6 at paragon, 1-8 at Epic. We also changed how many shrouds the assasing placed, 1 at heroic, 2 at paragon, 3 at epic. It seemed to work pretty well.

IMO, it needs a way to prevent shroud loss.

like if you didn't put shrouds on your enemy, but instead stored them on yourself, to be used on any attack.  Add a penalty for storing them without using them (like, loose a surge, or your level in damage) so you can't just walk around with 4 ready.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Single target damage.

Shroud doesn't scale well, damage from assassin attack powers don't scale well.  Together, you have a striker whose damage just doesn't keep up with the increases in monster HP by level.

Oh, there are other issues.  Shroud is cool, but a little awkward.  It's supposed to encourage you to build up big strikes, but it offers little incentive mechanically to save past the second shroud, while offering significan disincentives to do so via the risk of lost shrouds.

But that's not the reason assassins start sucking past heroic level.  That problem is strictly lack of scaling single target damage.  The easiest fix would be printing some more powerful, or at least more damaging, assassin attack powers.  Wouldn't even have to change anything already out.  A more complicated fix would be to improve the scaling on shrouds, but that would require errate.

Either way, it doesn't matter, because it's not going to happen.  The Shadow Assassin has been abandoned.  It's dead.  Wizards is only supporting the Executioner now.
Single target damage.

Shroud doesn't scale well, damage from assassin attack powers don't scale well.  Together, you have a striker whose damage just doesn't keep up with the increases in monster HP by level.

Oh, there are other issues.  Shroud is cool, but a little awkward.  It's supposed to encourage you to build up big strikes, but it offers little incentive mechanically to save past the second shroud, while offering significan disincentives to do so via the risk of lost shrouds.

But that's not the reason assassins start sucking past heroic level.  That problem is strictly lack of scaling single target damage.  The easiest fix would be printing some more powerful, or at least more damaging, assassin attack powers.  Wouldn't even have to change anything already out.  A more complicated fix would be to improve the scaling on shrouds, but that would require errate.

i couldn't have said that any better, myself. there is another issue. Most of the time you don't ambush people. The assassin is better if you have several rounds to shroud people before the battle starts.

Either way, it doesn't matter, because it's not going to happen.  The Shadow Assassin has been abandoned.  It's dead.  Wizards is only supporting the Executioner now.

this annoys me. it also annoys me that they aren't even bothering to add a new build in the heroes of shadow. the executioner is a much better class than the original assassin, but i would have liked something more than a few feats for it.

What annoys me is that the 'executioner' is a completely different archetype then the original assassin.  Sure, the executioner's archetype is more what we think of when we think 'assassin', but semantics aside, the kind of assassin that the executioner embodies was already well represented by the rogue, while the archetype that the original assassin embodies is found nowhere else in 4e D&D.

Unfortunately it seems so. Even looking at the Heroes of Shadow previews there seems to be nothing geared towards a Shadow Assassin. As the shadow assassin is supposedly only DDI, I hope for an article in Dragon at the same time HoS will be released...

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/23.jpg)

Did we ever figure out what the Assasin "needed" to work at higher levels?
When I played on my DM just upped the shrouds count, 1-4 at heroic, 1-6 at paragon, 1-8 at Epic. We also changed how many shrouds the assasing placed, 1 at heroic, 2 at paragon, 3 at epic. It seemed to work pretty well.

Just look at my homebrewed paragon path in the previous page and you'll see more or less everything:

- a big damage encounter power (the executioner has it)
- a consistent damage bonus at higher levels
- a way to use immediate actions and minor actions to get some more attacks
- a way to make an opponent unconscious
- a way to make at least some multiattacks

These are basically all the ways to get more damage (aside from crit-fishing, which is the avenger business) and the assassin gets nothing there.

So i was thinkin, i better off just waiting to play this class until heroes of shadow comes out? it seems so far like its sub par to every other class out. Worst of the strikers and doesnt do a good job at a controller. Also easy to kill? sounds just kind of broken to me.

Shadar-kai assassins with the abiding reaper PP can actually be a rather difficult to kill night stalker, if you don't mind not having a stat boost to a secondary stat. I was really hoping that their swing stat would be Cha, but on the bright side I like the explanation for Wis.... Anyway, shadar-kai can make pretty sweet bleak disciple covenent agents.

EDIT: I've also been meaning to play around with assassin hybrids with avenger mc and covenent agent. the issue is to make sure I have enough teleports per encounter to feel like what I think of when I think "shadow assassin", and to have a good damage output.

Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
Pine trees didn't unanimously decide one day that leaves were gauche.
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome
I prefer the idea of a nightstalker assassin over the bleak disciple. It seems more assassin like and yeah it really kind of upsets me that the executioner is more just a rogue build than an assassin build. If i could get in a nice nightstalker path at paragon then it would be nice your homebrew path looked pretty good id use it i just dont know if my current DM would allow it because its homebrew and hes kind of new. This whole problem could probably be fixed if they implimented scaling into their existing abilities. Like those skills that increase in damage at 11 and 21.

Hmmm...what about less shroud placement and build up the shrouds damage?

Two shroud maximum (instead of 4)
Heroic: 2d6 per shroud (max damage: 24)
Paragon: 2d6 + 3 per shroud (max damage: 30)
Epic: 3d6 +6 per shroud (max damage: 48)

Just a thought.  You can use as a houserule as you see fit. :P

You don't need to lower the shroud limit.  Pretty much no matter how far you push up shroud damage, two will still be the optimal number to invoke at for fear of lost shrouds, and even if you could get more by waiting, you still waited longer to get it, you're not really getting more damage.

And heroic tier damage isn't that bad for assassins.  It's a touch low, but not problematically so, given their other strengths.

Honestly, 1d6/2d6/3d6 damage per shroud (not much of an improvement, but gets more mileadge out of the brutal shrouds feat) is my favorite errata, but I would still combine it with some more powerful powers, and some more powers that have extra effects for invoking more shrouds. 
Since apparently their utility is fine and they expire out of heroic tier wouldnt increasing nightstalker health amounts and/or just simply scaling up all their existing skills in paragon and epic levels fix the problem?
Since apparently their utility is fine and they expire out of heroic tier wouldnt increasing nightstalker health amounts and/or just simply scaling up all their existing skills in paragon and epic levels fix the problem?

With mal's shroud change, and another W or dice on paragon+ powers, I think the assassin would generally be brought into line. A decent PP would be good also.

In addition, the at-wills that do 1/2 (at epic) damage for certain stuff should scale 1/2/3. Yes, they have the potential for big spikes, but the numerous +secondary mod at-wills that Rogues and some defenders have are more relaible.
Mal's homebrew, off the cuff fixes, mostly not my ideas:

1) Shroud: d6/2d6/3d6 per shroud
2) Assassin at-will powers with 1/2 scaling get 1/2/3 scaling instead
3) All ossassin single target encounter attack powers of 11th level or higher (including assassin path powers printed before HoS) deal +1 [W] (or +1 die for implement powers) of damage
4) All ossassin single target daily attack powers of level 11 to 19 deal +1 [W] or +1 die of damage
5) Ossassin single target daily attack powers of 20th level or higher (including assassin path powers printed before HoS) deal +2 [W] or +2 die of damage
6) Ossassin multi-target daily attack powers of 20th level or higher (including assassin path powers printed before HoS) deal +1 [W] or +1 die of damage
7) If you invoke four or more shrouds on an attack and hit with that attack, the shrouds deal maximum damage
Might want to update the races, particularly given that Revenants can now choose Cha over Con.
Hello,

I will do that. I have  looked at Darksun too. Just waiting for my copy of HoS to update everything together and look for possible synergies. To be honest I'm really surprised that discussion on this handbook is still alive given the lack of support from WotC.

Rootin' for the underdog I suppose.
The osassin is still my favorite class in 4e.  I'm frankly uninterested in playing unless it is that class.  My greatest disappointment in WotC is their failure to release a competitive striker to begin with or to rectify the mistake.  Instead they take away limits on Rogue's sneak attack.  Great work.

When I start my paragon tier campaign in May, I will be incorporating some fix for Assassin's shroud mechanic.  I will be simulating and averaging the Rogue's and Ranger's damages, then make sure the Assassin is in line, but a bit behind the other two.

I am very heartened to hear that you will update the handbook for HoS.  I have been waiting anxiously for the product.  It is good to know that you are still interested in the class.
I had a few more thoughts on Ossassin homerules. One is inspired by WoW, in which I play an assassin spec rogue. One suggestion would be to change shrouds to how combo points work for the rogue. You build them up but they can be applied to any target. Someone suggested somethign similar in that you "store" the shrouds. I like this idea. Also maybe when a target dies you keep 1/2 of the shrouds around. Sigh I guess most of these are just speculation as wizards seems to have killed the assassin.
Came up with fixes to the class, complete with reasoning:

www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t...

And some additional powers to beef up its anemic selection:

www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t...

Really hope WotC releases an official fix, as this is one of the most fun and flavourful classes yet released.
The third party book Heroes of Scythe and Shroud offers some interesting new power/class feature choices to the Assassin. None are very powerful, bu they are all sorts of flavorful. One of the best is giving you a minor to add poison to a weapon, which can be down graded to a free action with a feat.
Added a "Dark Sun corner" after the Epic Destinies section. A lot of good stuff in that book.

Alright,I know this probably isn't the best place to post this,but I stumbled across an old post that said there was a drow assassin that could do 60+ nova-at level 1.Anyone know where to find this?
Added utility powers from Heroes of Shadow. Added Bladeling under the list of Past Soul options for Revenants.
Honestly there are no interesting feats in Heroes of Shadow aside from Ki Focus Expertise (will add it in a few minutes).
To be Honest HoS has been quite disappointing...

So, I'm also playing an assassin, but we don't have a lot of sessions so I'm still level 3. Tongue out We're playing an undead and caster heavy campaign, and I plan to multiclass to Avenger and take the Covenant Agent PP.

I've learned a lot in this thread and it's been very useful, but there's one thing I'm not sure about. During combat, I get to very low HP almost every encounter and I don't really do as much damage as I'd like. I'm also the only striker in the party so I'd really like to do some more. We're 5 people, swordmage, warden, wizard, assassin and ardent.

I know the problem is I'm probably not playing him exactly as I should, but we're all new players and don't know as much about mechanics as we should, plus the fact that we have a session twice per month if we're lucky makes it hard to try different strategies in battle.

Oh, we also only use the pre-HoS materials, namely the things we can find in the downloadable DB. Just because of convenience.

I guess my question is if you can offer some advice as to how to handle battles with my party composition, so I'll complement it.

Also, when do you think I should take the MC feat?

This is currently my character: (I have a bunch of other items, only included what I thought was relevant.)

Monolith, level 3
Revenant, Assassin
Build: Bleak Disciple Assassin
Guild Training: Bleak Disciple
Choose your Race in Life: Human

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 16, Dex 18, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 12.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 14, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 12.

AC: 17 Fort: 15 Reflex: 15 Will: 13
HP: 34 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 8

TRAINED SKILLS
Stealth +10, Thievery +10, Perception +7, Acrobatics +10, Athletics +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +1, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Dungeoneering +2, Endurance +6, Heal +2, History +1, Insight +2, Intimidate +4, Nature +2, Religion +1, Streetwise +2

FEATS
Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Fullblade)
Level 2: Assassin's Escape

POWERS
Assassin at-will 1: Shadow Storm
Assassin at-will 1: Executioner's Noose
Assassin encounter 1: Shadow Darts
Assassin daily 1: Targeted for Death
Assassin utility 2: Cloak of Shades
Assassin encounter 3: Nightshade's Kiss

ITEMS
Leather Armor, Gauntlets of Blood (heroic tier), Subtle Fullblade +1
I may suggest some changes, but at third level there's only so much you can do optimization-wise.

First of all, if you really want to be a Bleak Disciple I would reduce strength and charisma to 10 and increase Con to 16. You don't really need Str and Cha and you'll get 2 extra HP, 1 point more to your healing surge value and one THP more for each hit you land on an unbloodied creature. This will add a little more resilience to your assassin. Then maybe take an Endure Pain as your second level utility and Cloaking Mist as your 3rd level encounter (remember than you can get cover from your allies and you have two defenders that should take the front line. Anyway you should get back Nightshade Kiss in a few levels as explained below.

Being the only striker in the group will be quite an issue tough. Assassins unfortunately do not shine damage-wise and in general your group should not excel at damaging looking at the classes. This will start to show more at paragon. During the heroic tier I think that Grave Dust Assassin will help you a lot but later you'll have to cope with the fact that your damage will be on the low side. Covenant Agent is a good choice in general and more if you're going to fight undeads. I would suggest a radiant or similar weapon as soon as you can get it and a Ghost Strike Ki Focus (the property is always on so it works even if you attack using your weapon as an implement).
The MC feat (Disciple of Divine Wrath) is pretty good, but I would take it at either 10th or 11th level (if your master lets you choose your 11th level feat before the PP) as you need to cover other issues before.
What you can do to increase the damage potential of the group is to make good use of a couple of assassin powers called Nightshade's Kiss (you have it already I know, but it's far more useful at higher levels than at 3rd) and Spectral Assailants. If you or your allies can trigger damage or extra attacks from movement you can really reap the benefits of these two powers. A warden with polearm gamble can help you a lot if your DM allows forced movement to trigger the attack (there's some discussion about this) and the wizard has a lot of damaging zones and you have at least a couple of wall dailies.

So the hybrid playtest article seems to allow for some more versatile builds.  Following the warlock review with slightly increased damage on a few spells, and Mearls' earlier comments about the changes he'd make to the Assassin class, I wonder if we'll get a DDI update on the Ossassin in the next few months?
I'm curious to see what will happen with the final version of the hybrid article. Regarding the assassin I suggested to take from the Executioner's guild the fact that you do not gain assassin encounter powers. To get Assassin's strike you have to lose either Nightstalker or Bleak Disciple, so why do you need to eat some more limitations? The executioner doesn't get other encounter attack powers, but gets features at all those levels.
Executioner's guild as it is doesn't work at all.

I hope for an update to the Assassin class, to make it better than it is today. I love the class from a versatility point of view (teleport, shade form, nice control on some powers) but it really needs the ability to assassinate stuff.

The assassin needs...

1) If your shroud target dies, you can transfer your shrouds. (easy enough to errata in).
2) Encounter power, Free Action, Trigger: you roll inititive.  Effect: Place 2 shouds on a target (more difficult, and possibly show up as a feat power.  Though if you spend a feat, it should be 3 shrouds).

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

The assassin needs...

1) If your shroud target dies, you can transfer your shrouds. (easy enough to errata in).
2) Encounter power, Free Action, Trigger: you roll inititive.  Effect: Place 2 shouds on a target (more difficult, and possibly show up as a feat power.  Though if you spend a feat, it should be 3 shrouds).

I agree that ny fixes should be simple and 1) is nice and simple.  I would say for 2) just introduce a class feature that the assassin can apply 2 shrouds in a surprise round.  That would then stack with the feat that lets you apply two shrouds (unless you are a hybrid) so the assassin should get a decent 3 shroud attack if they've sneaked up on their victim and spent a feat.  It's hardly overpowered.

I'd also adjust paragon shroud damage to +4 and epic damage to +8 so that they stop being below average for a striker that is already a bit low on the damage stakes.  That might be an easier fix than adjusting the damage on their powers.
The new assassin article will be up tomorrow (confirmed by Greg Bilsland on Twitter). I can't wait for it... let's see if WotC is listening to our cries...

Well it seems we've been listened to. The new article is solid. I will add ratings to the Handbook in the weekend. Anyway here's a build stub I'm looking at.

Revenant Assassin MC Avenger/Soul Thief/Punisher of the Gods

Dex: 26 Con:26

Theme: Student of Evard

Feats: Cruel Shroud, Devastating Shroud, Lethal Shroud, Thin the Herd, Reaping Renewal; Disciple of Divine Wrath, Killer's Insight, Weapon Focus (axes), Weapon Expertise (Greataxe), Melee Training (DEX)

Utility powers: Fast Hands

Encounter powers: Shadow Fire, Last Word, any 3[W] 23rd level power

Items: a blood fury weapon (+1 will suffice), +6 Rending Waraxe, +1 Death Shroud Ki focus, Ring of Giants, War Ring

Round 1 (prep):
Assassin's Shroud (free action)
Killer's Insight (no action)
Blood Fury Weapon Encounter power (minor), then drop it
Dark Reaping (we went bloodied - free action)
Oath of Enmity (minor)
Any ranged power to attack (Executioner's Noose works)
Death Shroud Ki Focus Encounter power (free action)
Immortal Curse (free action)

Round 2 (nova):
Move (teleport close to target)
Assassin's Shroud (free action)
AP: Last Word (using Grave Dust Assassin and Dark Reaping): 121 average damage (164 with epic capstone) - shrouds are not expended
Standard: Shadow Fire, adding Essence of Death and invoking shrouds. If we crit (6 rolls with a 18-20 chance): 224 average damage (256 with epic capstone) - shrouds are not expended
Now any non solo target is bloodied (even elite brutes, so we use again Dark Reaping)
Free action (rending on a crit): MBA with Dark reaping and Grave Dust Assassin: 107.5 average damage (136 with capstone)
Standard Action (granted by immortal curse on a crit): the 23rd level 3[W] power invoking shrouds: 100,5 average damage (132 with capstone)

We have an overall damage of 553 (or 690 considering the capstone) and everything can be repeated each encounter with an action point. Lesser versions can be available each encounter to kill standards (instead of elite brutes).
The build is feat intensive but pretty nice overall. You can combine it with daily powers for some more effects. I tried to avoid using the capstone to make the build workable at lower levels (the basic combo would be available at level 17 when Shadow Fire comes in line), otherwise at 30th level a straight Perfect Slayer makes everything easier.

By the way a 30th level Perfect Slayer starts to become a very dangerous beast (Str/Dex revenat (half-elves) with Twin Strike and a powerswap for Blade Cascade are really dangerous).

Any suggestions for the build?

I would love to know how you came to the conclusion that we were listened to.  We said Ossassins needed more damaging powers, and they gave us a feat tax.

They're making rounds giving out playtest versions of pre-E classes. I wouldn't be surprised if this article is testing the waters for a potential playtest revamp of the (Shadow?) Assassin.

Granted, it'll probably be a year or so, but hopefully it'll come.

"Not only are you wrong, but I even created an Excel spreadsheet to show you how wrong you are." --James Wyatt, May 2006

Dilige, et quod vis fac

With any luck, the eventual assassin update will up the damage of many of the powers, like they did with the warlock article.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
Pine trees didn't unanimously decide one day that leaves were gauche.
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome
I would love to know how you came to the conclusion that we were listened to.  We said Ossassins needed more damaging powers, and they gave us a feat tax.

The fact that they are finally starting to give us some fixes (even if they are feat taxes at the moment).

The fact that they are finally starting to give us some fixes (even if they are feat taxes at the moment).

Will you / when will you add the "Executioner's Guild" feature and other options from DR400?
This weekend.

This handbook is severly out of date. When do you plan on adding options from PHB3 onwards? Including, but not limited to, racial stat upgrades and ki foci.

Or do you simply not have the time to update it? I would just like to see this handbook updated now that the Assassin can perform decently at its job, power issues aside.
This handbook is severly out of date. When do you plan on adding options from PHB3 onwards? Including, but not limited to, racial stat upgrades and ki foci.

Or do you simply not have the time to update it? I would just like to see this handbook updated now that the Assassin can perform decently at its job, power issues aside.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that the answer to your question lies 1 post above yours.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that the answer to your question lies 1 post above yours.

The post above me only refers to DR400. I am questioning erleni on whether he plans on adding things that are actually older then DR400.
Sign In to post comments