All along the crooked way - An Assassin's Handbook

674 posts / 0 new
Last post
It might be argued that Roguish Killer applies every time, even if you only normally can use Sneak attack damage once per round (via an MC feat). It's pretty loosely worded. Probably not the intent though.

Sneak attack damage can only apply when you are using a rogue power or a rogue paragon path power.

Only if you are a rogue hybrid. He was talking about MC.

I'm not particularly interested if this is completely optimized, its more for flavor and writing purposes anyway, I just wanted to know if anyone could tell me if this build I made was viable at all or if it's total crap. I made a hybrid bleak assassin/dark and vestige pact warlock/venomed soul. So basically all the poison powers I could nab and other thematically appropriate stuff when poison wasn't available.

Fylson Strongbow, level 17
Revenant, Assassin|Warlock, Venomed Soul
Eldritch Strike: Eldritch Strike Constitution
Hybrid Assassin: Hybrid Assassin Fortitude
Eldritch Pact (Hybrid): Dark Pact (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlock: Hybrid Warlock Reflex
Hybrid Talent: Guild Training (Hybrid)
Guild Training (Hybrid): Bleak Disciple (Hybrid)
Arcane Implement Proficiency: Arcane Implement Proficiency (light blade group)
Twofold Pact: Vestige Pact
Choose your Race in Life: Drow
Background: Drow - Outcast, Ancient, Occupation - Mystic Slayer, Pact, Occupation - Infiltrator (+2 to Perception)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 20, Dex 20, Int 14, Wis 11, Cha 15.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 15, Dex 15, Int 11, Wis 10, Cha 14.

AC: 30 Fort: 24 Reflex: 24 Will: 20
HP: 95 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 23

TRAINED SKILLS
Stealth +18, Thievery +18, Arcana +15, Acrobatics +18

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Bluff +10, Diplomacy +10, Dungeoneering +8, Endurance +15, Heal +8, History +10, Insight +8, Intimidate +12, Nature +8, Perception +10, Religion +10, Streetwise +10, Athletics +8

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Venom Hand Master
Level 4: Venom Hand Killer
Level 6: Venom Hand Assassin
Level 8: Hidden Insight
Level 10: Melee Training (Dexterity)
Level 11: Arcane Implement Proficiency
Level 12: Twofold Pact
Level 14: Twofold Curse
Level 16: Vestige Versatility
Feat User Choice: Death's Blessing

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Shadow Storm
Hybrid at-will 1: Eldritch Strike
Hybrid encounter 1: Smothering Shadow
Hybrid daily 1: Armor of Agathys
Hybrid utility 2: Ethereal Stride
Hybrid encounter 3: Cloud of Flies
Hybrid daily 5: Heart of Dust
Hybrid utility 6: Slayer's Escape
Hybrid encounter 7: Shadow Jack
Hybrid daily 9: Vestige of the Onyx Queen
Hybrid utility 10: Slayer's Endurance
Hybrid encounter 13: Well of Shades (replaces Smothering Shadow)
Hybrid daily 15: Vestige of Leraje (replaces Armor of Agathys)
Hybrid utility 16: Thief of Names
Hybrid encounter 17: Unholy Glee (replaces Cloud of Flies)

ITEMS
Spiderkissed Short sword +4, Scavenger Bird Ki Focus +4, Feytouched Feyleather Armor +4, Magic Spiked gauntlet +1 (2), Dynamic Dagger +2 (3), Swiftshot Hand Crossbow +1
It might be argued that Roguish Killer applies every time, even if you only normally can use Sneak attack damage once per round (via an MC feat). It's pretty loosely worded. Probably not the intent though.

Sneak attack damage can only apply when you are using a rogue power or a rogue paragon path power.

Only if you are a rogue hybrid. He was talking about MC.

Yeah, I meant MC, and actually meant 1/encounter, not 1/round!

I'm pretty sure that in the hybrid case, roguish killed is supposed to be an exception to the hybrid rule. So normally, you can only use your sneak when you hit with a rogue/rogue PP power. Roguish killer also allows you to do it when you invoke and miss.
I've looked throught the executioner assassin build and saw the Silent Stalker lvl 2 utility power. seems like a pretty good power to me. move your speed and stay hidden without having to make a stealth check and no need to have cover or concealment at will.

does anything have any experience with it? how does it compare to the other power I'm considering at level 2, Cloak of Shades?

thanks
I've looked throught the executioner assassin build and saw the Silent Stalker lvl 2 utility power. seems like a pretty good power to me. move your speed and stay hidden without having to make a stealth check and no need to have cover or concealment at will.

does anything have any experience with it? how does it compare to the other power I'm considering at level 2, Cloak of Shades?

thanks

Silent Stalker is definitely better for melee executioners who need to get in close since they won't get invisibility and they need hidden to use two of their at-wills. Having concealment from Cloak of Shades does little to nothing for those assassins.

Cloak of Shades might be better for a ranged executioner where you can stay more than 5 squares away to maintain the invisibility.

Silent Stalker is definitely better for melee executioners who need to get in close since they won't get invisibility and they need hidden to use two of their at-wills. Having concealment from Cloak of Shades does little to nothing for those assassins.

Cloak of Shades might be better for a ranged executioner where you can stay more than 5 squares away to maintain the invisibility.

I'm actually playing a nightstalker build.

thats kind of how I feel about SS. do you think its worth it to have both silent stalker and Darting Shadow? should I retrain SS to something else at level 6 and pick up DS? should I keep SS and pick up something else at level 6 like Slayer's Escape or maybe even Darkness?

I'm actually playing a nightstalker build.

thats kind of how I feel about SS. do you think its worth it to have both silent stalker and Darting Shadow? should I retrain SS to something else at level 6 and pick up DS? should I keep SS and pick up something else at level 6 like Slayer's Escape or maybe even Darkness?

They are so similar that it's a waste to pick both. As a revenant, I liked Slayer's Escape for when I got hit to under 0 hp. It practically guarantees lasting til your next turn so you can second wind and keep fighting. Sheltering dark could be good too. Which one you like better depends on whether you want a reactive defense thats there when you get into those oh $@#! moments or you want a better active defense for when you know something bad is coming.
ok great. thanks for the help.
Can an assassin (non-Essentials) use a glaive, and if so am I right in thinking they can use all the "melee weapon" powers  from a range of 2 squares, and behind their friendly tank/fighter?

I'm trying to work out how to keep my assassin out of toe-to-toe combat/danger and yet still allow him to use his selection of powers...

(Edit: )  Assuming a reach weapon is okay can I take a feat to learn proficiency in a different reach weapon, and is it worth it?   I know I could do 1d12 base damage with a fullblade but reach might be excellent (perhaps?).
Can an assassin (non-Essentials) use a glaive, and if so am I right in thinking they can use all the "melee weapon" powers  from a range of 2 squares, and behind their friendly tank/fighter?

I'm trying to work out how to keep my assassin out of toe-to-toe combat/danger and yet still allow him to use his selection of powers...

(Edit: )  Assuming a reach weapon is okay can I take a feat to learn proficiency in a different reach weapon, and is it worth it?   I know I could do 1d12 base damage with a fullblade but reach might be excellent (perhaps?).

It would work for any of the weapon powers, since they have a range of Melee Weapon. Since so much of the assassin is based around mobility though, tying yourself to the defender doesn't really sound like an ideal solution.
But surely it does give you more options? I'm finding too many times when I am using Executioners Noose as I don't want to go into melee with the brutes our fighter is holding up.

I don't like going behond that "offensive line" as in the back field you get quite isolated and somehow seem to attract lots of wrath.

Still struggling to make my assassin effective a lot of the time.  Sigh.
If you fight from behind your defender, it nerfs shadow storm. flanking your enemy with your defender gives you that extra +1 damage for each shadow storm attack.

I would be more focused on finding ways to become hidden or upping your defenses rather than getting out of the front line.
Cross-posting from 4e Strikers > The Wizards Community" href="http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/25897845/Executioner_Assassin_Build_for_Encounters">another thread, in case the question has come up for anyone else.

Email to Customer Service:

Good day,

In the Essentials Assassin Playtest article there is a power called "Unarmed Throw" that states: "Requirement: You must be unarmed."

In the Adventurer's Vault 1 there is a weapon called "Spiked Gauntlet" that is part of the "Unarmed" group.

If I am wielding a Spiked Gauntlet, am I considered to be "unarmed" for the purposes of the "Unarmed Throw" attack requirement? The motivation here is getting the weapon proficiency bonus to the attack roll, as well as possible enchantment benefits. Thank you.

And their response:

Thank you for contacting us. This is a very good question and the answer is that if you are using a spiked gauntlet you are considered armed. I believe this is a good point and will pass this along to the developers to review for clarification. We place great value in the feedback, ideas, and suggestions of our customers. I assure you that Game Support meets with teams around the company on a regular basis, and we make it a priority that your voice is heard. While we cannot guarantee a direct response, we can promise that your thoughts and concerns are being passed along to the right people.

(emphasis mine)

quick rules question about the Silent Stalker utility power from the Essentials Executioner build.

Silent Stalker allows you to make a move action and remain hidden until the end of your turn.  Does this mean I can remain hidden even after I make an attack? say I spend an action point to get an extra move action. can I move to the  target, attack him and then move away from the target and remain hidden  until the end of my turn? or would I lose 'hidden' after I attack per the stealth rules? does the effect of the power count as 'specific over-rides general'?

Silent Stalker
Move Action Personal
Requirement: You must be hidden.
Effect: Move up to your speed to a square within 2 squares of
an enemy. You remain hidden until the end of your turn.

thanks in advance.
This is my 6th level drow nightstalker.   I've built him with a view to using only ranged attacks - although I've had to select a close blast power (Cloaking Mist) and one melee at-will (Shadow Storm) as there aren't enough ranged to go around.

I've gone down the poisons route with a spider kissed weapon and the Venom Hand feats (very drow I thought).   As far as I can see all my attacks deal poison and with Venom Hand Killer they all gain an extra +2 damage.  I'll get an extra +3 for Nightstalker damage on lone targets so I'm hoping that's a fair DPR boost.

The Shadowdance leather means no OA for ranged attacks.   The Cape gives me yet another escape option (effectively I get 2 x Slayers Escape in one combat).

The attributes array is fixed by the DM.

The standard idea would be where possible to use stealth to sneak into rooms (assuming a dungeon environment) undetected.  Lay down 4 shrouds from hidden (can be done with Hidden Insight) and then open up with Nightmare Shades from 5 squares away - then drop back into the protective arms of my fighter mate!

Any comments?

Vorgrym, level 6
Drow, Assassin
Build: Night Stalker Assassin
Guild Training: Night Stalker
Darkfire: Darkfire Charisma

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 11, Dex 21, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 17.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 11, Dex 18, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 14.

AC: 21 Fort: 15 Reflex: 19 Will: 18
HP: 41 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 10

TRAINED SKILLS
Stealth +17, Streetwise +11, Bluff +11, Thievery +13, Perception +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +10, Arcana +2, Diplomacy +6, Dungeoneering +3, Endurance +3, Heal +3, History +2, Insight +3, Intimidate +8, Nature +3, Religion +2, Athletics +5

FEATS
Level 1: Hidden Insight
Level 2: Assassin's Escape
Level 4: Venom Hand Master
Level 6: Venom Hand Killer

POWERS
Assassin at-will 1: Shadow Storm
Assassin at-will 1: Executioner's Noose
Assassin encounter 1: Nightmare Shades
Assassin daily 1: Targeted for Death
Assassin utility 2: Converging Shadows
Assassin encounter 3: Cloaking Mist
Assassin daily 5: Twilight Assassin
Assassin utility 6: Slayer's Escape

ITEMS
Spiderkissed Glaive +2, Shadowdance Leather Armor +1, Sandals of Precise Stepping (heroic tier), Cape of the Mountebank +1

Hello guys
I keep reading about the assassin and how it is the weakest of the strikers. And from what I read about them, it feels correct that they are weak.
But my experience in my 3-man party  - Ardent, Sorceror and Assassin - tells me otherwise.

He is by far the most damaging member of the party, dealing awesome damage.
But, thing is, the player in question sometimes....."bends" rules the way they benefit him most.

Ok, so he's playing a Drow nightstalker assassin.
During the first turn of a serious encounter, he always does his Targeted for Death lvl 1 daily (TfD - whenever you use your Assassin's Shroud [AS] you subject the target to an extra shroud.
He also combines it with his Death Shroud Ki-Focus +1, that triggers on a hit and allows him to use SS again, without counting to the turn limit of 1 SS per turn rule.

So, basically, at the first turn:
Shadow Steps to target, uses TfD and then AS, placing 1shroud+1 extra shroud. Then activates Death Shroud Ki-focus +1, using SS again, placing +1more shroud +1more extra shroud, for a total of 4 shrouds.
Then, he uses his Action point, and attacks with Shadow Darts so that it is extremely unlikely that he misses, thus dealing the 4d6 shroud damage.
That would be:

1d8 from Shadow Darts (or 2d8 if two Darts hit, or 3d8 if the 3 darts hit)
1 enhancement damage from Ki-focus
+ 3 damage from Nightstalker
4d6 from Assassin's Shroud.

That's a good bunch of damage right there, off the bat. Also, he has the Brutal Shroud feat, which allows to re-roll any 1s on the AS damage rolls, so that allows him to deal a fairly decent amount of damage.
And next turn, the TfD continues...

But, the most game-breaking thing is when he crits, and he has been criting a lot, especially with the full 4 shrouds on a target.
Ok, the Death Shroud ki-focus +1 reads, on critical: deals +1d6 damage, plus 1d6 for each assassin's shroud on the target or invoked.
So, my player says the damage is the following, with an Shadow Darts attack (but not limited to this attack):

3d8 max damage from Shadow Darts = 24 damage
1 enhancement damage =1
3 Nightstalker damage= 3
4d6 max damage from 4 Assassin Shrouds which were being invoked= 24 damage (since it's max damage)
+1d6 from Ki focus, plus 4d6 [from the Ki focus, and since the 4 Shrouds were in place, it's 4d6)= 5d6.

Total: 24 + 1 + 3 + 24 + 5d6.

That's usually around 60ish-70ish damage.
Is that interpretation correct??
It seems to me to be very over-the-top.
How is that in any way weak ?
I feel that we might be missing somekind of hole in the rules here.
I don't want to come across as negative but it Wouldn't be the first time that this player does this...
I've also spotted him several times changing his dice roll number to a higher roll or adding a preposterous bonus to his attack roll to compensate for the low roll.
Kinda like rolling a 3 and saying, total attack roll with the bonuses....24 (at level 2-3...stuff like that).

So, I am kinda...biased towards thinking that the rules for the damage might not work like he's saying they do.
Any ideas? Am I missing anything or is he correct this time?

So, Does he get the 4d6 max damage [24] from the AS + 1d6+4d6 from the 4 AS from the Ki-Focus, on a crit or not?

So, basically, at the first turn:
Shadow Steps to target, uses TfD and then AS, placing 1shroud+1 extra shroud. Then activates Death Shroud Ki-focus +1, using SS again, placing +1more shroud +1more extra shroud, for a total of 4 shrouds.

Well the mechanics look right, and yes it's a lot of damage but it's also combining a daily nova power with an item that does astounding damage on critical hits.  Since he should only crit 5% of the time, you shouldn't see a whole lot of those going on, especially with four shrouds on the target.  If they are cheating then that's definitely a different problem.

So, Does he get the 4d6 max damage [24] from the AS + 1d6+4d6 from the 4 AS from the Ki-Focus, on a crit or not?

Yes. He gets the full lot.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/23.jpg)

Erleni, could you offer support for your position for that the AS gets max damage on the Shadow Dart crit?  I ask, because I'm playing a halfling nightstalker who uses the same basic tactic and assumed (like Bio) that I had to roll the 4d6 damage for those AS.

Maybe it's late and I need sleep, but I don't understand how the Death Shroud Ki allows him to SS and then place the 2nd volley of shrouds, though.   I've always thought of this as a two-round attack. 

Ok. Here's my reading (may be wrong):

Assumptions:
1) You have 4 shrouds on the target (how you get there is not an issue)
2) You attack it with Shadow Darts and invoke the shrouds
3) You hit and crit

The extra damage we look at is:
1) 4d6 for invoking the shrouds and hitting. This is maximized as any extra damage when you crit, except the extra damage that you specifically roll only because you critted. So 24 points of damage (escalating to 36 at paragon and 48 at epic)
2) 1d6 per item bonus + 1d6 for each shroud invoked. This is specifically critical damage so you roll all of it. Under our assumptions this is 1d6 per item bonus + 4d6 (all rolled) ranging then from 5d6 to 10d6 (for a +6 weapon).

In my previous answer I meant that he gets the 24 points for the normal shroud damage that is maximized by the crit. The other 4d6 are specifically critical damage of the ki focus and are not "shroud damage" even if the amount is related to the number of shrouds on the target. So you're not invoking twice, just getting more critical damage if you invoked shrouds on the attack.

The rule of thumb is that any damage you would have rolled had the attack been a normal hit, you max out.  Any damage you roll specifically because you rolled a crit, you have to roll.
Thank you both. I'm one week in to 4e after a 20-year D&D hiatus, and this thread has been insanely helpful. As to how the shrouds get there . . . If you TfD, you can essentially place 2 each turn, right? Is there anyother  trick to placing shrouds quicker than I per turn that I am unaware of?

Also if you haven't got Hidden Insight, I know the foe is aware of the shrouds, but is the foe aware of the Assassin himself? Is it more of a case of their general spidey sense kicking in or do they know "that lil halfling bastard over there is scoping me"? Thanks again for help with these elementary questions.
I'm not sure, 57Cole. That depends on whether Assassin's Shroud counts as an attack. Ask yourself the following:

1) does it deal damage?
2) does it have a target or attack line?

If yes to both, it is an attack - at least unless and until Wizards releases errata saying otherwise (e.g. explicitly making Assassin's Shroud a utility power).

If Assassin's shroud is an attack, then using it immediately stops you from being hidden.
Even if Assassin's shroud isn't an attack, enemies are aware of the effects of any powers currently affecting them. So your target knows they are shrouded, but they only know WHO shrouded them if you also stopped being hidden (such as by making an "attack"). 

It's worth saying that this is probably an unintended consequence of the new Essentials rules - I don't think Assassin's Shroud is supposed to be an "attack," because if that were true then using Assassin's Shroud in conjunction with Hidden Insight would still result in you coming out of hiding, which seems unintended.

Hope that helps.
It does help, Psk. Following along your line of thinking, which conveniently is also my own, placing a shroud is not an attack, but invoking the shroud is. The whole Hidden Insight power complicates all of this and I wish they would just build it into the AS power.
Thank you both. I'm one week in to 4e after a 20-year D&D hiatus, and this thread has been insanely helpful. As to how the shrouds get there . . . If you TfD, you can essentially place 2 each turn, right? Is there anyother  trick to placing shrouds quicker than I per turn that I am unaware of?

Some feats give you the chance to put en extra shroud on a target (usually once per encounter) and break the 1/round limit explicitly. The Covenant Agent PP has a power that does the same (an encounter power) and some utilities work in that sense too, but as far a I know TfD is the best way to get a consistent increase of the shrouding rate.

It does help, Psk. Following along your line of thinking, which conveniently is also my own, placing a shroud is not an attack, but invoking the shroud is. The whole Hidden Insight power complicates all of this and I wish they would just build it into the AS power.

I don't think this is actually RAW but I think RAW is a little bit of a tangled mess at the moment (for example, the PHB FAQ states that the "initial use" of appropriate powers counts as an "attack - does this mean that placing your shrouds is an attack?). If I were DMing I would rule it along the lines you suggest.
Hi all, just wondering if there are any updates in the works for this guide to one of the more interesting classes, especially regarding the Dark Sun material and any synergies it might create?
I'm actually curious about what people think regarding an assassin and any of the new executioner utillity powers.

What I would love to see, and I think the essentials material has opened the door for it, is a book of power source utillity powers. Shadow powers, arcane powers, etc. So, if you have that power source, you can take those powers. It would help bring together and expand upon the power sources, while giving some general mechanical options for characters for whom the power source in important.

But mostly....I want new Assassin material...

Give me an Epic tier power with an until the end of encounter effect line that reads something like: Until the end of the encounter, when you teleport, you activate the [something] aura until the end of your next turn. 

Aura 2(?), any enemy that starts in turn in the aura suffers ongoing X untyped damage. (save ends) In addition, any shouded enemy which starts it's turn in the aura gains vulnerable Y to your attacks (save ends).
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
Pine trees didn't unanimously decide one day that leaves were gauche.
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome
I'd like to see some minor action Encounter attacks, at all three tiers of play (but especially Heroic). That way the O-Assassin gets some extra nova power, and the Executioner gets to take Reserve Maneuver to boost his nova. Everyone wins.
The only argument I'd have with you on that is that I think the Assassin needs them more in Paragon and Epic than in Heroic. other than that, yes.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome
Hi all, just wondering if there are any updates in the works for this guide to one of the more interesting classes, especially regarding the Dark Sun material and any synergies it might create?

Hope to be able to do that soon. And waiting for Heroes of Shadow... (moved to April unfortunately)

For those interested, I developed a paragon path for Assassin's in my campaign. It tries to make the Assassin more "strikery" than it is today but still keeping its unique flavour. Playtesting went pretty well so far but if you have any suggestions let me know.
From a fluff point of view it is based on the legend of the Last Word (taken from the 2ed edition adventure Dead Gods).

The main issues I tried to address were:
- unability to "assassinate"
- lack of minor/immediate action attacks
- lack of a consistent damage bonus mechanic
Here it is:

Scion of the Last Word

"There's no reason to fight and toil, as everything will eventually come to an end"

Prerequisites: Assassin, either Bleak Disciple or Nightstalker Guild Training

You have witnessed the power of the Last Word and survived. From that very moment you became aware of the fragility of all that is living: you, your friends, your allies and your enemies.
Some of your ilk become agents of death, using their knowledge to kill their enemies, others engage in an endless fight to protect lives all over the multiverse, but they all walk the fine line between using the power of the Word wisely and becoming its slave.

Scion of the Last Word Path Features:

Echoes of the Last Word (11th level): Whenever you deal your Assassin's shroud damage, every enemy in a radius from you equal to the number of shrouds dealing damage, takes damage equal to one-half of your level.

Mortal Aura (11th level): Whenever an enemy enters a square adjacent to you, you can use one of your Assassin at-will attack powers against it as an immediate reaction.

Finishing Sequence (11th level): When you spend an action point to make an attack against your Assassin's Shroud target and you hit, until the end of your turn you can use your Assassin 1st-level at-will attacks as minor actions.

Disheartening Presence (16th level): when you attack your Assassin's Shroud target you ignore its fear immunity, necrotic resistance and necrotic immunity.

Scion of the Last Word Mysteries
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Angel of Deliverance Scion of the Last Word Attack 11

When you feel your enemies are close to death, you walk through the shadows to deliver the killing blow.

Encounter Shadow, Teleportation, Weapon
Free Action Melee
Trigger: an enemy within 10 squares from you becomes bloodied

Effect: you teleport 10 squares to a square adjacent to the triggering creature and then use the following attack against it.

Attack: Dexterity vs. AC
Hit: 4[W] + Dexterity modifier damage. Increase damage to 6[W] + Dexterity modifier damage at 21st level.

Special: If the target is your Assassin's Shroud target and you hit, you deal damage as if the attack was a critical hit. If the attack is a critical hit against your Assassin's Shroud target, its extra critical damage is maximized.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Burning the Soul Scion of the Last Word Utility 12

You channel the power of the Last Word through yourself, but you pay a price for it.

Encounter Shadow, Stance
Minor Action

Effect: While this stance is active you get a +4 bonus to attack rolls and a bonus to damage rolls equal to your Constitution or Charisma bonus, but you cannot gain temporary hit points or regain hit points by any mean and you take damage equal to one half of your level at the end of each of your turns.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Fragment of the Word Scion of the Last Word Attack 20

You utter a fragment of the Last Word and hope vanishes from the hearts of your enemies.

Daily Shadow, Fear, Implement
Standard Action Close blast 3
Target: one enemy in blast

Hit: 3d8 + Dexterity modifier damage and the target becomes unconscious (save ends).
Aftereffect: the target is slowed and weakened (save ends).
Special: Your Assassin's Shroud target takes a penalty to all saving throws against the effects of this power equal to the number of shrouds currently on it.

That's quite a paragon path! :D
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
104340961 wrote:
That paragon path is immensely powerful to the point where I want to play it...

The action point ability is ungodly powerful...sub your actions for minors and use Shadow Storm 3 times against the enemy.  *goes into a frothing, catatonic state*

It most definetly has EXTREME nova potential and I mean that in every sense of the word.
That was the idea behind it. The assassin should be all about jumping out of darkness, doing a hell of damage and disappearing right after.
Even with this paragon path the nova damage is nowhere near what a barbarian can do (Hurricane of Blades + Storm of Blades anyone?) but starts to be reasonable. On top of that the barbarian can use those powers every encounter.
DPR is still lower than a Ranger (as it should be), but better than before.
We playtested it for 6 sessions so far and it doesn't seem to be unbalanced. The barb in the group is still making more damage, but the assassin adds some more control.

Clearly as a PP it is way too powerful. I just made it up to show what I would like to see addressed in the class as a whole. If somebody will play it, it would be great to get some feedback.
Hopefully Heroes of Shadow will give the assassin some more punch.

I would have two main concerns that may or may not come out in play testing.

#1 - for the encounter, similar to RRT (Rightous Rage of Tempus), autocriting can be abused in ways that almost break the game.  As a 4[W] is already going to be a lot of damage for an encounter power, a possible fix might be, rather than making it a crit, make the special similar to the errataed RRT, add the weapons crit dice to damage.

#2 - the daily unconciousness needs to be (save or damage ends) not just (save ends).  This brings it back on par to similar powers for other strikes (knockout) and prevents the abuse of entire party from getting free crits against a solo.

So i was thinkin, i better off just waiting to play this class until heroes of shadow comes out? it seems so far like its sub par to every other class out. Worst of the strikers and doesnt do a good job at a controller. Also easy to kill? sounds just kind of broken to me.

I would have two main concerns that may or may not come out in play testing.

#1 - for the encounter, similar to RRT (Rightous Rage of Tempus), autocriting can be abused in ways that almost break the game.  As a 4[W] is already going to be a lot of damage for an encounter power, a possible fix might be, rather than making it a crit, make the special similar to the errataed RRT, add the weapons crit dice to damage.

#2 - the daily unconciousness needs to be (save or damage ends) not just (save ends).  This brings it back on par to similar powers for other strikes (knockout) and prevents the abuse of entire party from getting free crits against a solo.

It's not autocritting. When I say "you deal damage as if the attack was a critical hit" I mean that you deal crit-damage but the attack is not a critical hit so no crit-based triggering of any feature or feat or whatever. Basically it is like the updated RRoT.

The daily unconsciousness is actually similar to Mind Blade. This power is 4 level higher so I left the damage there. Maybe the aftereffect is too much...

So i was thinkin, i better off just waiting to play this class until heroes of shadow comes out? it seems so far like its sub par to every other class out. Worst of the strikers and doesnt do a good job at a controller. Also easy to kill? sounds just kind of broken to me.

The class itself is a lot of fun to play at least in the heroic tier. Afterwards it is behind the curve of other strikers, damage-wise. Nightstalkers are easy to kill, but Bleak Disciples are extremely hard to kill (my BD is usually better than the party's barbarian in this field).

Did we ever figure out what the Assasin "needed" to work at higher levels?
When I played on my DM just upped the shrouds count, 1-4 at heroic, 1-6 at paragon, 1-8 at Epic. We also changed how many shrouds the assasing placed, 1 at heroic, 2 at paragon, 3 at epic. It seemed to work pretty well.