All along the crooked way - An Assassin's Handbook

674 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, looking over the basics, has anyone looked at the Abyssal Genasi as far as races go?
In particular, the Voidsoul has a teleport-like power that makes it do some pretty crazy things, good for either Guild Training. It's not as good as the Eladrin, necessarily, but it has perks. Not to mention the psychic resistances.
If I'm off by thinking it's a good choice, let me know. I'm curious to see what others think.
And some builds you posted so far are gone (I can't find the build in a link).

Yeah, the link to my charger build takes you to page 3, when it's really on page 50.

The new assassin content looks to be an essentials preview of the assassin, later this month in dragon.

I hope the new content is really good!  Laughing
So, looking over the basics, has anyone looked at the Abyssal Genasi as far as races go?
In particular, the Voidsoul has a teleport-like power that makes it do some pretty crazy things, good for either Guild Training. It's not as good as the Eladrin, necessarily, but it has perks. Not to mention the psychic resistances.
If I'm off by thinking it's a good choice, let me know. I'm curious to see what others think.

The voidsoul power is definitely cool and useful to an assassin.  Unfortunately, Genasi stats are simply awful for Assassins.  However, there's always the Revenant option.  Genasi feat support isn't amazing though, and you're giving up a lot of great options just to get the voidsoul assumption power.

So, with all that considered - your best bet is Genasi Soul Armor.  You can play a race with better stats/feats/whatever and still get the voidsoul assumption power.
Ok, but consider this: a Voidsoul that takes Extra Manifestation, and manifests Plaguesoul, essentially giving it a Aura 5 Poison until the end of your next turn. That can offer some control (enemies, especially minions, will be almost forced to move away from you), and let you hone in on individual targets. If you PP into Elemental Tempest (although it would desparately need to be updated), you can use the powers of both manifestations, and add others on.

I'm trying to be careful not to turn this into straight ahead Genasi Op over here, but the potential can be great, if worked correctly.
Maybe an interesting thing to consider out of teh Shadar-Kai article today.

Mystery of Karsus
Prerequisite: Shadar-kai, wizard
Benefit: Each time you teleport, you gain insubstantial until the start of your next turn.

If you MC'd wizard (not great I know) this may be something decent for Shadow Step.
This is a great feat if they leave it untouched.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/23.jpg)

Class Acts: Essentials Assassin

Please dont suck, Please dont suck. My assassin is tired of getting laughed at when he hangs out with other strikers.

There's no way it'll go untouched (come on reverse-jinx!), it's probably going to get toned down to work with Shadow Jaunt only.

I'm personally more excited about the Dwarf 2x Second Wind feat for an upcoming Revenant tough-guy build I'm trying out. He might wind up being tougher than the Dwarf Battlemind defender.
Shadow Jaunt already grants insubstantial, so that would make the feat completely useless.

Please dont suck, Please dont suck. My assassin is tired of getting laughed at when he hangs out with other strikers.

No...it'll totally suck, every single article for the assassin has totally sucked. All 2 of them :p

A group I'm in has a chaos sorcerer and my Night stalker assassin as our two strikers... it's so funny to see how crappy these two classes are compared to the "better" striker classes.

No...it'll totally suck, every single article for the assassin has totally sucked. All 2 of them :p

Well, an essentials assassin is moving in the right direction in at least one respect - starting over from scratch on the Assassin.
Quick question. If you Crit on an attack that you invoked your shrouds on, do the shrouds do maximum damage as well? Myself and my DM interpreted it as something similar to a magic weapons bonus to crit damage, so we don't, but I wanted to be sure.
Quick question. If you Crit on an attack that you invoked your shrouds on, do the shrouds do maximum damage as well? Myself and my DM interpreted it as something similar to a magic weapons bonus to crit damage, so we don't, but I wanted to be sure.

Shrouds are maxed. All damage dice you would normally roll for the attack are maxed. Only if you roll a die because of the crit it is not maxed. Examples of dice that are not maxed are magic weapon critical dice and heavy crit weapon dice.

There's no way it'll go untouched (come on reverse-jinx!), it's probably going to get toned down to work with Shadow Jaunt only.

I'm personally more excited about the Dwarf 2x Second Wind feat for an upcoming Revenant tough-guy build I'm trying out. He might wind up being tougher than the Dwarf Battlemind defender.

Let's see. The possible combination of this feat with others in the same article is great.
Anyway there's another interesting combination: let's go for Revenant (Shadar Kai past), take Doom of Jiksidur, Shadar-kai Soul and Ghostly Vitality, MC Fighter and  Kulkor Arms Master as your PP.
Focus then on powers that make you insubstantial and you'll get a lot of free MBAs over your career.
You can even start looking into extra-damage items/feats against prone targets. This would probably be the best DPR assassin around as you'll basically be able to make two attacks for several rounds per encounter. Folded Shadow against a solo will become deadly. And this will still leave you the chance to take Raven Consort as your ED and dance under 0HP.

The table of contents for the current issue of Dragon lists Player Essentials: Assassin as a play test class they're looking to get response back from. So this is our chance to get some insights and give feedback into the design.

By Stephen Schubert

The revamped, Player's Essentials assassin makes its entrance in playtest form. We want your feedback!

I think it's interesting that they now like to see what our input is. Also, interestingly enough, there's also "Cartoon: Ninjas" on the content callander as well. Could be nothing or could be a build name. Just some thoughts to add the most respected assassint thread.

Look at this preview.

It will be a massive article.

Look at this preview.

It will be a massive article.

Sweet!  I'm mixed about the playtesting - our feedback could make it better or nerf it into obscurity.

Am I reading the Precision Dart at-will correctly - it's a Weapon vs Reflex attack with an additional +4 bonus?
Looks so. Great to deliver poison in a surprise round and enjoy the effect for a while.

NUUUUU

Assassin is Martial?  WAT

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

Sonnova@#$*&
www.wizards.com/dnd/Calendar.aspx
pushed to friday. at which time i will be on a boat (motherf*ckas) and unable to read this article. 
i swear, i don't ACTUALLY think someone at wotc is watching me and messing with me... but sometimes i wonder 
NUUUUU

Assassin is Martial?  WAT

Thats got to be a misprint right? I'm expectin "Hero's of Shadow" to once again make Azazil (My Assassian) a force to be reconed with.
Sonnova@#$*&
www.wizards.com/dnd/Calendar.aspx
pushed to friday. at which time i will be on a boat (motherf*ckas) and unable to read this article. 
i swear, i don't ACTUALLY think someone at wotc is watching me and messing with me... but sometimes i wonder 

Ok, I thought I was going crazy with this. I went to go see it today all jazzed up for the article and then Boom, punch to the stomach. Damnit I'll be out of town without the interwebs. I'm a sad panda.
I'm less dissapointed.  Dragon content has been lackluster enough of late that I've let my subscription lapse, and wasn't planning on buying back in until the new assassin hits the builder in, what, November?  Yeah.  And if it turns out to be a low damage, blowgun using martial class, I may not even bother, then.

Still lame to see it delayed.  Inconsistency was part of my reason for dropping my subscription.
Hello all,

This is really a rules interpretation check but seeing as it's specifically assassin based I'm hoping it's okay to post here.  It also potentially reflects how good assassins are as strikers so it's reasonably on topic.

Lasty night my night stalker used his Twilight Assassin power.   During this encounter his shade assassin made an attack with a minor action as usual.   It hit which would do 3 damage on a normal day.  However, he rolled a critical hit.

Now I use a +2 spiderkissed fullblade.  This doubles as an implement as I'm proficient in it.   As it is a +2 weapon it does +2d6 poison damage on a crit.   As it is a fullblade it does +1d12 damage on a crit.   So I determined that I'd done 3+1d12+2d6 poison damage by the crit.   This equated to 22 poison damage for a noddy minor action attack!  Sweet!

So, was this calculation correct - should I have added in all those bonus damage points?   And if so, I feel this just goes to show that assassins have a few tricks up their sleeves.

Incidentally, this was only the second session I'd played this 6th level assassin, and he was sooooooo much fun to play.  Okay, everything seemed to just work brilliantly last night (the above crit was one of many crits and all my dailies and encounter powers actually landed for a change).  I used shadow step cleverly to avoid the big nasty monsters, and to set up flanking for myself and my pals.  He was simply great fun.  He might not be the most damaging striker but his controller powers (Executioners Noose and the 3rd level encounter power which lets me slide a target) added a neat side effect to my usefulness on top of just damage.   He was really great fun - which is always the bottom line.

Cheers!
Blakey (newly converted assassin fan).
Hey there Blakey,

Yep, that's correct. I think I had a build abusing twilight assassin as well as a very high crit chance, radiant and necrotic vulnerability, and two weapon fighting/opening. It's been errataed twice since I posted it here, although it would still probably be fairly effective in spite of that with some modifications.

Yep, just checked, it's my covenant agent build at the beginning of this guide. There are other ways of boosting Twilight Assassin that I didn't use for that build, however. Look for things that add extra damage, as opposed to a bonus to damage rolls. Example: headsman's chop. 
Hey there Blakey,

Yep, that's correct. I think I had a build abusing twilight assassin as well as a very high crit chance, radiant and necrotic vulnerability, and two weapon fighting/opening. It's been errataed twice since I posted it here, although it would still probably be fairly effective in spite of that with some modifications.

Yep, just checked, it's my covenant agent build at the beginning of this guide. There are other ways of boosting Twilight Assassin that I didn't use for that build, however. Look for things that add extra damage, as opposed to a bonus to damage rolls. Example: headsman's chop. 

Thanks for the reply.  Good to know I didn't get it wrong. 

I've got one, maybe two, more sessions with this 6th level "test" assassin and then we start a full fledged campaign where I'm now definitely planning playing a drow assassin full time from 1st level.  

What do you guys think of this build (built using this excellent guide):

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Vorgrym, level 1
Drow, Assassin
Build: Night Stalker Assassin
Guild Training: Night Stalker
Darkfire: Darkfire Charisma
Background: Recent Life - Valued Prisoner, Occupation - Hired Killer (+2 to Stealth)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 11, Dex 20, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 16.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 11, Dex 18, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 14.

AC: 17 Fort: 11 Reflex: 15 Will: 14
HP: 21 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 5

TRAINED SKILLS
Stealth +14, Acrobatics +10, Thievery +10, Bluff +8, Perception +5

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana -1, Diplomacy +3, Dungeoneering, Endurance, Heal, History -1, Insight, Intimidate +5, Nature, Religion -1, Streetwise +3, Athletics

FEATS
Level 1: Hidden Insight

POWERS
Assassin at-will 1: Executioner's Noose
Assassin at-will 1: Shadow Storm
Assassin encounter 1: Gloom Thief
Assassin daily 1: Targeted for Death

ITEMS
Leather Armor, Adventurer's Kit, Greatsword
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

One more sleep until the new assassin build gets unleashed ... unless it gets delayed again.

I've got essentials and the new Rogue Thief of crazy good, he'll be a hard act to follow. Here's the major stuff :

Sneak Attack - Extra damage 2d6/3d6/5d6 per turn with CA.
Weapon Finesse - Use Dex for attack and damage for melee basic and bonus to damage +2/+4/+5
First Strike - CA against targets that haven't gone yet.
Thief Weapon Talent - +1 attack with all thief weapons.
Combat Readiness - +2 initiative
Backstab - Your only encounter power, get more uses as you level up to 4. Free action +3 attack and 1d6/3d6/4d6 extra damage.
Rogue Trick - At will moves actions, get up to 5 as you level. Do stuff from add you Cha to damage to shift 3 then attack and shift 3 as free action after.

PP Features
Masterful Cunning - shift 3 once per round as free action.
Masterful Action - use SA again when you use an action point.
Shadow Shifter - If you are hidden and make you remain hidden if you have any cover or concealment.
Thief's Advantage - Sneak damage rerolls 1s

ED Features
Invisible Stalker - At-will move power makes you invisible while moving.

Rundown of the Excecutioner build essentials assassin
+1 Fortitude, +1 Will
4 trained skills
Assassin’s guild (decides what at-wills you can select from adn weapony proficiencies)
Assassin’s strike (free action +1d10 to succesful weapon attack)
Attack finesse (dex instead of strength for weapon attacks, +1d6 damage)
Guild weapon attacks (at-will, standard actions, attacks similar to O4E)
Poison use (ability to craft poisons- awesome feature)
Quick swap (quick draw w/o +2 to initiative)

Hit Points: 12 + Constitution score + 5 for each
level after 1st
Healing Surges per Day: 7 + Constitution
modifier
Armor Proficiencies: Cloth, leather; light shield
Weapon Proficiencies: Simple one-handed melee,
simple ranged, military one-handed melee,
shortbow
Class Skills: Acrobatics (Dex), Arcana (Int),
Athletics (Str), Bluff (Cha), Endurance (Con),
Insight (Wis), Perception (Wis), Stealth (Dex),
Streetwise (Cha), Thievery (Dex).

The poison class feature is very unique and quite awesome. I wont bother listing the later class features (some interesting mechanics; like level 3 Death Attack= any attack that reduces an enemy to 10 or less HP auto-dies if you want) seem like they may get lost in the crowd of other features.

Level 6 utility Vanish is nearly idenctical to Slayer's Escape (save for teleporting 5 is replaced by teleporting your speed). All in all, other than a neat level 6 martial utility (gives you a climb speed and horizontal "jump speed"), the utilities are kind of ho hum. 
Seems neat, but it doesn't fix the problems with the original assassin, since there is very little overlap between them.  It's nice to see another take on the assassin, and one that can actually perform its role as a striker, but I'm still hoping to see future support for the original assassin bringing it up to par, particularly in the form of better single target damaging attack powers in paragon and epic.  Since the Executioner doesn't use assassin attack powers, there's no risk of overpowering the executioner in the process.
Here another build that I don't know if anyone have considered already.

level 30
Revenant, Assassin, Lyrandar Wind-Rider, Perfect Slayer
Build: Bleak Disciple Assassin
Guild Training: Night Stalker
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Crossbow)
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Ki Focuses)
Choose your Race in Life: Half-Elf

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 26, Dex 28, Int 12, Wis 11, Cha 15.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 16, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 13.

AC: 44 Fort: 45 Reflex: 42 Will: 38
HP: 152 Surges: 14 Surge Value: 38

TRAINED SKILLS
Stealth +40, Endurance +30, Bluff +22, Acrobatics +29, Perception +20, Thievery +29

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +16, Diplomacy +17, Dungeoneering +15, Heal +15, History +16, Insight +15, Intimidate +19, Nature +15, Religion +16, Streetwise +17, Athletics +15

FEATS
Level 1: Half-Elf Soul
Level 2: Mark of Storm
Level 4: Assassin's Cloak
Level 6: Weapon Focus (Crossbow)
Level 8: Versatile Expertise
Level 10: Hidden Insight
Level 11: Versatile Master
Level 12: Steady Shooter
Level 14: Sneak of Shadows
Level 16: Novice Power
Level 18: Two-Fisted Shooter
Level 20: Velvet Blade Trick
Level 21: Bow Mastery
Level 22: Martial Mastery
Level 24: Epic Resurgence
Level 26: Robust Defenses
Level 28: Superior Initiative
Level 30: Brutal Shroud

POWERS
Assassin at-will 1: Inescapable Blade
Dilettante: Twin Strike
Assassin encounter 1: Gloom Thief
Assassin daily 1: Targeted for Death
Assassin utility 2: Shadowed Legion
Assassin encounter 3: Army of the Night
Assassin daily 5: Twilight Assassin
Assassin utility 6: Sheltering Dark
Assassin encounter 7: Shadow Jack (retrained to Snap Shot at Novice Power)
Assassin daily 9: Wall of Shadows
Assassin utility 10: Stall Tactics
Assassin encounter 13: Slayer in the Dark (replaces Gloom Thief)
Assassin daily 15: Shade Venom (replaces Twilight Assassin)
Assassin utility 16: Assassin's Defense
Assassin encounter 17: Shadow Fire (replaces Army of the Night)
Assassin daily 19: Guild of Shadows (replaces Shade Venom)
Assassin utility 22: Assassin's Eye
Assassin encounter 23: Obsidian Spiders (replaces Slayer in the Dark)
Assassin daily 25: Wall of Death (replaces Targeted for Death)

ITEMS
Crossbow, Lightning Superior crossbow +6, Shadowflow Starleather Armor +6, Eberron Shard of Lightning (epic tier), Lightning Arrow +6 (10), Bracers of Archery (epic tier), Cloak of Displacement +6, Lightstep Slippers (epic tier), Eye of Awareness (epic tier), Shadowdancer's Gloves (paragon tier), Belt of Vim (epic tier), Lightning Hand Crossbow +6

Twin Strike for 14d6+114 if both attacks hit (8d6 being brutal 1), followed by a 6d6+66 (4d6 being brutal 1) Snap Shot that can be recovered 1-2 times during the encounter.
All that from safe distance under the protection of cloak of displacement and invisibility that ignores tremorsense. And if you crit - you get 7d6+66 (4d6 being brutal 1) ranged basic attack.
That is the capstone ability of course, but it is doing decent dpr even before that.

Hm, A question I have for you at current is the following:

At this point, the Shadow Assassin is an incredibly inferior striker. As in, really really bad compariably. Now the question is the following: With the new mystery of krasus power... you can make yourself an incredibly durable assassin as of level 2, with decent and steadily improving control powers.

Rasnom, level 4
Shadar-kai, Assassin
Guild Training: Bleak Disciple

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 15, Dex 22, Int 13, Wis 8, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 14, Dex 18, Int 11, Wis 8, Cha 10.

AC: 20 Fort: 17 Reflex: 18 Will: 14
HP: 37 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 9

TRAINED SKILLS
Stealth +14, Thievery +12, Athletics +7, Acrobatics +14, Endurance +10, Arcana +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Dungeoneering +1, Heal +1, History +3, Insight +1, Intimidate +2, Nature +1, Perception +1, Religion +3, Streetwise +2

FEATS
Level 1: Arcane Initiate
Level 2: Mystery of Karsus
Level 4: Doom of Jiksidur

POWERS
Arcane Initiate: Magic Missile (Open to interpretation, but bad int makes most wizard powers bad, whereas this is atleast an encounter minion popper)
Assassin at-will 1: Shadow Storm
Assassin encounter 1: Smothering Shadow
Assassin daily 1: Terrifying Visage (Great power once the actual control powers start kicking in. At current, it does 2 push on miss, 4 push on hit. If enemy, knock prone. Immobilize primary target. That's some nice control, and it only gets better as you take additional insubstantial bonus feats. (Dread of Sakkors & Drowning of Nhalloth))
Assassin utility 2: Grit and Spittle (Being dazed, is pretty hazardous to a build this fragile, so It seems the best option available.)
Assassin encounter 3: Cloaking Mist (Solid encounter power aoe attack, does decent damage, and attacks fortitude.)

The problem is that as you level, you become a great controller, who can occasionally do decent enough damage through powers and through shrouds.

Im just curious as to how well this would work in the long term as I havent actually observed much from the paragon or epic tiers.
At this point, the Shadow Assassin is an incredibly inferior striker. As in, really really bad compariably. Now the question is the following: With the new mystery of krasus power... you can make yourself an incredibly durable assassin as of level 2, with decent and steadily improving control powers.

Any builds hoping to use the Mystery of Karsus feat need to wait until the compiled version of Dragon comes out at the end of the month - for it's very likely that the feat will be nerfed from its current version (you can check the errata thread of that article for details).

Otherwise I agree that there's some potential for a durable melee controller/striker build using those insubstantial-based feats.
I'm actually waiting for the monthly compilation to see what happens. If everything stays as it is there's a lot of room for a deadly striker. Revenant (Shadar-Kai past) Assassin/Kulkor Arms Master/Raven Consort looks very promising, but let's see what will happen this week.

Oh I know that the mystery might be nerfed, but I dint think mystery is the flaw in that combination; it's the staff. It's simply a broken item that shouldn't exist at this level range. It should be a level 10 item or so, on par with the warlock at will utility. It's still got some annoying costs to setup, 2 feats, and a level 10 magical item... Probably still entirely too much. Too bad. Ita a great boon power for warlocks and assassins
Ok quick question with brutal shroud'

My assassin is lvl 11 almost 12 and i have foe stone as an item when i am ranged and i have 2 or more shrouds on my enemy i will go for an attack that will miss, i do 1 d6+8 with executioners noose, if i miss with brutal shroud it lets me use sneak attack die on a miss, my sneak attack is 3d6. I can do this every turn as long as i have 2 or more shrouds on it. He thinks its not fair or is over powered? I am suing it correctly right  
Ok quick question with brutal shroud'

My assassin is lvl 11 almost 12 and i have foe stone as an item when i am ranged and i have 2 or more shrouds on my enemy i will go for an attack that will miss, i do 1 d6+8 with executioners noose, if i miss with brutal shroud it lets me use sneak attack die on a miss, my sneak attack is 3d6. I can do this every turn as long as i have 2 or more shrouds on it. He thinks its not fair or is over powered? I am suing it correctly right  

The foe stone item I'm seeing just lets you learn vulnerabilities. I don't understand any of the other abilities you are talking about. Brutal shroud only lets you reroll ones on the shroud damage dice.
The Foe stone lets you see any vulnerabilities and lowest def

Foe Stone
Power (at-will)  Minor action.

Choose one creature you can see. You learn all the target's vulnerabilities , as well as which of it's defenses is lowest.

Now if i have 3 shrouds on my target. At the start of my turn I add one more Shroud. So it has 4 Shrouds now.

I have the feat Roguish Killer: Assassin's Shroud target takes sneak attack Damage even on a miss.

If  I want to miss on purpose to get more damage I would know from my Foe Stone not to target his weakest defense. So i attack him with Executioner's Noose ranged 5 hit 1d6+8, I chose to invoke Shrouds prior to attack and I miss the attack per say. So now I would do 1d6+8, + 3d6(shrouds)+ 3d6(Sneak Attack damage) I would do that ever time I had 2 or more shrouds on my target when i was ranged, My DM thought is was over powered and wondered if this is how it was supposed to be used 
The Foe stone lets you see any vulnerabilities and lowest def

Foe Stone
Power (at-will)  Minor action.

Choose one creature you can see. You learn all the target's vulnerabilities , as well as which of it's defenses is lowest.

Now if i have 3 shrouds on my target. At the start of my turn I add one more Shroud. So it has 4 Shrouds now.

I have the feat Roguish Killer: Assassin's Shroud target takes sneak attack Damage even on a miss.

If  I want to miss on purpose to get more damage I would know from my Foe Stone not to target his weakest defense. So i attack him with Executioner's Noose ranged 5 hit 1d6+8, I chose to invoke Shrouds prior to attack and I miss the attack per say. So now I would do 1d6+8, + 3d6(shrouds)+ 3d6(Sneak Attack damage) I would do that ever time I had 2 or more shrouds on my target when i was ranged, My DM thought is was over powered and wondered if this is how it was supposed to be used 

Why are you still doing the attack's damage on a miss? The attack misses so the attack doesn't do any damage.

Second; if you are MC'ing into Rogue then you can only use Sneak Attack once per encounter anyway.

Third Hybrid Rogue|Assassin would be able to do this every round, as long as he had CA.

That feat and the other one, which is Hunter's Quarry based, are overpowered by themselves in that you do such a high amount of damage on a miss, but the Assassin doesn't do a lot of damage on a hit either. They seem to balance out the Assassin's DPR in much the same way that an Avanger hardly ever misses.
It might be argued that Roguish Killer applies every time, even if you only normally can use Sneak attack damage once per round (via an MC feat). It's pretty loosely worded. Probably not the intent though.
It might be argued that Roguish Killer applies every time, even if you only normally can use Sneak attack damage once per round (via an MC feat). It's pretty loosely worded. Probably not the intent though.

Sneak attack damage can only apply when you are using a rogue power or a rogue paragon path power.