Arcane Power 2 Wishlist

151 posts / 0 new
Last post
RKemp, you just gave me an idea.  Or maybe this is what you meant for the wand (I'm not quite clear on your second suggestion).  New powers (either magic wand item powers or wizard powers with a Wand of Accuracy rider) that target multiple foes, but single out one to be hit harder.  So, they would be in the form: Area burst 2 within 10 squares.  Wand of Accuracy: Choose one target.  That target takes extra damage or suffers some more severe crippling effect.  Alternatively: Ranged 10.  Primary target: one creature.  Some effect on a hit.  Effect: make a secondary attack.  Secondary attack: close burst 1 centered on and including the primary target.  Some other effect.  Wand of accuracy: something.  Maybe a bonus to the primary attack roll.  Maybe (but this could be overpowered) the secondary attack is written as part of the hit, but wand of accuracy instead makes it an effect.
This month we had a nifty set of items which enhanced rituals. What I would really like is a rule set that let us take existing items and find some good way to use them to enhance rituals. The game is rich enough I don't much care for adding even more items to the game for rituals alone.
Omnirahk: My second idea had called for single-target effects only, but your suggestion enables it to fulfill the area-of-effect aspect of controllers. Great idea.Smile
Omnirahk: My second idea had called for single-target effects only, but your suggestion enables it to fulfill the area-of-effect aspect of controllers. Great idea.

Thanks.  I like the idea too.  And credit where it's due: you did inspire me.
You won't see any changes to Wand of Accuracy in Arcane Power 2, you might see more spell and feat support for it though, like we did in Arcane Power. However you might see an alternative Wand mastery feat, similar to how there's an alternative for Tombs and Orbs.

I'd like to see an AOE bard, even if it's a melee one, a dancing Bard could do that.

I'd really like to see more feat support for damage types other than cold.
You won't see any changes to Wand of Accuracy in Arcane Power 2, you might see more spell and feat support for it though, like we did in Arcane Power. However you might see an alternative Wand mastery feat, similar to how there's an alternative for Tombs and Orbs.

I'd like to see an AOE bard, even if it's a melee one, a dancing Bard could do that.

I'd really like to see more feat support for damage types other than cold.

Well, I wasn't calling for a change to Wand of Accuracy.  I was suggesting what you could do for powers that attach special riders to Wand of Accuracy.  I know the original Arcane Power had a few powers with extra effects if you had the right sort of implement mastery.
Some decent fey pact/charisma based dailies.  Only Warlock splits the base attack stat in this way and since more pacts are con based than charisma based the charisma based options are a bit limited.  The encounter options are generally reasonable but some of the charisma dailies are distinctly suboptimal e.g. Storm Countess Kiss single target fortitude attack which is only really effective against melee characters  since being held in the air doesn't really hassle a range character, given it is a fort attack most melee based monsters will have good defences.

Personally I like the theme of the power but would never select it  since the option is either to use it on a character it is unlikely to effect at all or use it on a character who gets at least a  full round of full effectiveness before anything happens to them at all.

Similarly Thief of Five fates is thematically nice but a null pick as it would just lead to drawing out the fight.  Low damage attacks from a striker are ok if they have interesting side effects but no damage attacks from a striker just lead to annoying the rest of the party who are relying on you to finish the fight.

Also is it just me or does dragon magazine seem to have practically ignored fey pact.  I may have missed something but all the class act warlock articles seem to be for other pacts.
More damage-type themed sorcerer builds, particularly a pyroblaster.  Yeah, I know they just did a fire article for Wizards, but really, Sorcerers should be more for burning the crap out of stuff,I think.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
More damage-type themed sorcerer builds, particularly a pyroblaster.  Yeah, I know they just did a fire article for Wizards, but really, Sorcerers should be more for burning the crap out of stuff,I think.

Ooops, you said sorcerer. I haven't read the article yet, but I always want more fire blasting, and lightning flinging powers for my wizard.
Long Live the Lance! Give us 4e DL!
Surely a Dragon Sorc covers Pyroblasting Sorc?

Though if they went for Storms, they may as well do Fire (or maybe Magma seeing as Storms covers two damage types).

I hope they do a spider sorc, one with poison and necrotic powers. Because Drow should have a Sorc that suits them.

I'm hopefully for more force powers, probably for the Wizard though.
Surely a Dragon Sorc covers Pyroblasting Sorc?

Though if they went for Storms, they may as well do Fire (or maybe Magma seeing as Storms covers two damage types).

I hope they do a spider sorc, one with poison and necrotic powers. Because Drow should have a Sorc that suits them.

I'm hopefully for more force powers, probably for the Wizard though.

Drow get Dark Pact warlock for that.  I mean, the whole idea is that you have a pact with some dark, malicious entity that does not play well with society.  And many powers are poison and necrotic.  I know of at least one that involves a bunch of spider eggs hatching in their body and devouring them alive.  Honestly, spider powers better suit a warlock than a sorcerer anyway, in my opinion.
It would work well as a more generic necromancy-themed sorcerer. Spiders could be just one aspect.

And I agree that the current sorcerer themes don't fit drow very well, even though they are a great match by pure mechanics.
It would work well as a more generic necromancy-themed sorcerer. Spiders could be just one aspect.

And I agree that the current sorcerer themes don't fit drow very well, even though they are a great match by pure mechanics.

Which is why I suggested a new power that does. Spider Power makes a lot of sense. Shadow Power maybe... Theres a fear in Arcane Power for Drow that boosts Necrotic and Poison damage for Drow Sorcs - but no real Power option that supports that choice.

Anyway,

I'd love to see a ranged At-will for the Swordmage, possibly one where they throw their weapon and apply the aegis to the target.
I just thought of a brilliant idea that should be in Arcane Power 2...

Flumph Familiars

Flumph Familiars

Passive benefit of feather fall?
Swordmages getting an at-will (Or two) that can be used as MBAs'd be nice. Intelligent Blademaster is a feat tax to be able to make MBAs and OAs at all. Paladins and Fighters get them, Wardens get one while charging, and as a strength class, they don't need melee training and have an easier time qualifying for weapon support feats. This also goes for the fighter.
A Beginners Primer to CharOp. Archmage's Ascension - The Wizard's Handbook. Let the Hammer Fall: Dwarf Warpriest/Tactical Warpriest/Indomitable Champion, a Defending Leader. Requiem for Dissent: Cleric/Fighter/Paragon of Victory Melee Leader Ko te manu e kai i te miro, nona te ngahere. Ko te manu e kai i te matauranga e, nano te ao katoa. It's the proliferation of people who think the rules are more important than what the rules are meant to accomplish. - Dedekine
I'd like to see a feat that allows improvement in cantrips, either an overall improvement or feats that improve specific ones (ie, increasing the time limit for Light, increasing the weight allowance for Mage Hand, increasing the range of Ghost Sound, increasing the number of effects possible for Prestidigitation).  There might even be variances of such improvements (ie, increasing the number of light sources for Light).  After all, Clerics have Holy Lantern, a 6th level utility spell, and it lasts for 6 hours.  Why not do the same for Wizards, and spare them from having to reignite their Light cantrip every 5 minutes?

Just my 2 cents.
Another feat I had in mind, along the lines of Arcane Reserves:

Arcane Desperation

Human, any arcane class

Increases damage done by At-Will attack powers by 1 die (ie, d6 becomes d8) when all encounter AND daily attack powers are expended.

Special:  This feat will combine with Arcane Reserves feat, but not until the above requirements are met (ie, if you have expended your daily powers, but have recharged your encounter powers by a short rest, this feat will NOT be active until you have expended your last encounter power).

It would be really useful where you think you have the upper hand, and suddenly you see some high-level monster that you never thought you'd see at, say, fifth level (such as Orcus).  It would let you blast through the wall of bugbears that stand between you and the exit.

Of course, I wouldn't expect any DM to actually throw Orcus at his party of players, but you never know.

It would also be useful for marathon campaigns, where no extended rests are allowed.
I'd like some new options for Cantrips, with the featuring being changed so you have to pick 4 out of a selection.

A melee Sorc PP would be nice too.

An AOE for the Bard and more AOE powers for the bard would be great too.
Another option I'd like to see would be for the Hybrid Wizard:

Hybrid Talent Option:
Spellbook

This option works exactly as is described in Player's Handbook page 158.  You also gain gain Implement Mastery, but ONLY for either the Tome of Binding Option or the Tome of Readiness option; you do NOT gain Implement Mastery for any other Implement, though this does not prevent you from taking the Second Implement Mastery feat at the Paragon Level (Player's Handbook, page 205).

Of course, this would necessitate the current Hybrid Talent option in PHB3 to be slightly altered:

Hybrid Talent Option:
Arcane Implement Mastery

This class feature functions exactly as the wizard class feature (Player's Handbood, page 157), EXCEPT that you can only choose an implement that is not a tome; the Tome of Binding and the Tome of Readiness are unavailable to you.

My reasoning? If you don't have access to a spellbook, what good will it do you to have a tome?  Yes, you've got your books at home where you can study and retrain your powers, but if you can't take a spellbook along, how could you make use of a Tome of Binding, or a Tome of Readiness?

Flumph Familiars

FWIW, our gaming group has 5 people, all making arcanists, waiting for this to happen...

Here's to crossing fingers (and everything else), hoping that this happens!
Here's an idea that just jumped into my head:

Warlock - Elemental Pact
This pact would be with some member or agent of the Elemental Chaos, such as a djinn or efreet.  It would allow you to gain pact boons that were in line with the particular elemental, for example:

Fire Bullet
Warlock*Elemental Pact*Fire
Standard Action
Ranged*Burst 1 within 10 squares
Target
Each target in area
Attack Constitution/Charisma v. Reflex
Hit 1d6 + Constitution OR Charisma modifier fire damage

You would also gain bonuses to attack and/or damage when using powers that were in line with the elemental's sphere of power.

And as long as we're doing that, why not a Draconic Pact Warlock?

You make a pact with a dragon to gain arcane power, in exchange for something you must do later.  Here's an example of a draconic pact boon.

Dragon Blast
Warlock*Draconic Pact*Various
Standard Action
Close blast 3
Target
All creatures in blast area
Acid, Cold, Fire, Force, Lightning, Poison, or Thunder
Attack
Constitution OR Charisma v. Reflex
Hit 1d6 + Constitution OR Charisma modifier damage
Special Choose one of the above listed effects for the type of damage you inflict; this choice remains the same throughout the life of your character or your dragon patron.  If your dragon patron dies, the DM has the discretion to decide if you continue to have the power, or lose it until you gain another dragon patron.  Your power will match your patron's power.
An Elemental pact I could easily see, but I'd expand it to include not only Efreeti, but also Demons, Archons, and the Primordials themselves. Dragon pact though, I just don't see as anything more than a PP. Dragons, while awesome, are really just one type of creature, and thus it's really narrow for the focus of a whole pact. That said, isn't the Sorcerer King pact essentially a Dragon pact anyway?

For elemental, I could see something like this,

Chaos Pulse
You summon up the raw elements to strike
At-will Arcane, implement, varies
Standard Action Ranged 10
Attack: Constitution vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d10 + Constitution modifier damage of one of the following types; acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder.  If you reduce a nonminion enemy to 0 hit points with this attack, your Primordial shroud increases by 1 size.

Primordial Shroud
You channel the raw power of your Elemental masters to surround you in chaotic power. When you reduce an enemy to 0 hit points, you may spend a free action to generate an aura 1. Creatures which start or end their turn in this aura take acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder damage (your choice) equal to your Charisma modifier. The aura lasts until the end of your next turn, or until you suppress it as a free action. 
OOOOOOO!  That's a good one!   Me likee much better!

Glad I could inspire someone to improve my idea.
why does everyone want an elemental pact for warlocks? sorcerers already cover that.

why does anyone want necromancer build for sorcerers? warlocks already cover that.

but I agree, artificers and bards needs more love.

not wizards though, they're fine, they should stay the same.

I do agree with the Death Pact Warlock thing though. can't see how they would improve on the sorcerer though.
Hey, variety is the spice of life.  As someone who loves Thai food, I don't see any problem with that.

Hey, variety is the spice of life.  As someone who loves Thai food, I don't see any problem with that.

that is what I'm defending. There is variety in that the sorcerer gets elemental and warlocks get darker more twisted stuff
I just read the article on the dead gods, and I think that would be a wonderful enhancement esp. for the Vestige Pact warlocks.  Powers would be flavored by the dead god with whom your warlock has the pact.  It would even be a great enhancement for clerics if ever Divine Power 2 is released.

Even more cool would be a Cleric/Warlock combination, either as a hybrid or a multi-class, one way or another.
Personally, I think it's high time we put the high strength stat of most sorcerers to good use and create a melee-focused sorcerer build (that, or make such a thing a new class entirely). I think that fould be a really interesting option for dragonborns and draconians that would effectively combine their martial and arcane prowess
Sign In to post comments