Arcane Power 2 Wishlist

151 posts / 0 new
Last post
Martial Power 2 is almost out, so we can expect that the early planning for Arcane Power 2 is already going on (or will start soon). Let's make a list of what we players and DMs want (or don't want) in the book.

Arcane Schools

I'd love to see similar schools to the White Lotus school. The concept needs to be fleshed out a bit still, mainly to prevent too many feats stacking. I expect that there will be a similar rule as for domains and martial styles, that each power can only be modified by one feat. It's also possible that we will see a rewritten White Lotus which includes theses rules, and which is probably limited to a certain set of at-wills.

Swordmage

A Charisma-based aegis! Tiefling love! At the moment, we have one offensive and two defensive aegis variants. So it would be nice to have another offensive one. I'd also like to see a PP that gives you a second Aegis. And feats that allow to switch the ability scores for riders. Example:

Dextrous Assault
You can use your dexterity modifier instead of your strength modifier to determine the effects of swordmage powers.

Wizard

Wizards need more powers that deal status effects or otherwise hamper enemies. They have too many damage-only powers. I'd love to see tasty new at-wills. Also, more material that references the old magic schools. We've had illusion, conjuration, necromancy (limited) and evocation (badly). I'd love to see more abjuration and transmutation (baleful polymorph etc.) powers, and some real necromancy like summoning a skeleton.

We also haven't seen much enchantment yet, except for sleep. Enchantment is interesting because it would allow non-damage powers similar to the cleric. Divination is also interesting because it would allow a secondary leader, who gives bonuses to allies.

Warlock

We've had how many pacts now? 5? 6? It's enough. I'd rather like to see new at-wills, especially more replacements for Eldritch Strike, or alternatives for the compulsive pact-at-wills. At least a cha-based at-will for the Star Pact, damn it. A few pacts like the dark pact don't have much power choice yet and need more support. I'd also like to see pact-specific feats that create more diversity between the pacts. Example:

Infernal Walk
Prerequisite: Infernal Pact, 11th level
When you use your Shadow Walk, each enemy adjacent to you when you end your move takes fire damage equal to your Con modifier.

Fey Barrier
Prerequisite: Fey Pact, 11th level
When you gain concealment from your Shadow Walk, enemies cannot teleport into the square adjacent to you.

Sorcerer

Even though the Sorcerer is a newer class, there are already 4 paths for it, dragon, chaos, storm and cosmic. Like the Warlock, the class doesn't need a new build option that much. If there will be one, I'd like to see one that brings something new to the table, for example a new secondary (Con or Wis). It's hard to come up with something rules-wise or flavorwise that doesn't step on the Warlock's toes, like Int as secondary. There is already a bad precedent with Cosmic Sorcerer vs. Star Pact.

Artificer

Artificers should get plenty of material, because it's their first AP. It would be cool if they had a higher page count than other classes. As for new builds, I'd like to see a new secondary stat and role.
A dex-secondary artificer that leans striker would be cool, with lots of +Dexterity modifier damage powers.
Or, a str-secondary defender artificer with self-buffs like temp hp, higher defenses or resistances for himself in his powers.

Bard

The bard has traditionally been close to the rogue. I'd love to see a sneaky and acrobatic bard, with melee powers similar to the duelist, and dex secondary. Something comparable to the Blade bard kit of AD&D, a bard that is a master of flashy swordplay. The new virtue could look something like this...

Virtue of Panache

Once per round, when an enemy within a number of squares equal to your Dexterity modifier misses an attack, the enemy grants combat advantage to your allies until the end of its next turn.
I would like to see an entriely different build for the artificer or even a new class: a controller using magical technology. Let him use alchemy, but when he himself throws a grenade or quaffs a potion he gets a class bonus to the attack roll or damage/effect.

I also want to see background information for each of the Vestiges. Who were these beings and what were there stories?

I agree wholeheartedly with the idea of expanding on the White Lotus trope: give us more Hogwarts, Beauxbatons and Durmstrang. Arcane means hidden knowledge: wizards, bards, warlocks, artificers and swordmages should have more of a bookish feel about them. And with such academies. Sorcerers would feel more rebellious and strange.
Member of Grognards for 4th Edition
Hmm...

Bard:
Why does this class not already have a DEX secondary build?

Sorcerer:
Why does this class not already have a CON secondary build?

Sword-Mage:
Why is this class still restricted to Heavy Blades and Light Blades? It's a completely nonsensical restriction. Give me some Hammer builds, some Axe builds, some Flail builds, and so on...

Warlock:
I'm still waiting for my Death Pact. Making a deal with death seems like such an obvious concept that I can't see them not getting around to this eventually. Necromancy effects, etc. I'd also like to see alternate Pact At-Wills. You know, something like "If you selected Infernal Pact, you can select this power in place of Hellish Rebuke." Come to think of it, some Eldritch Blast alternative would be nice too.

Wizard:
Orb and Tome each have more than one Implement Mastery option. I'd like Staff and Wand to get similar treatment this time around.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
Cosmic sorcerer and star pact warlocks are close, but they don't exactly cover the same ground: star pact warlocks aren't descended from cosmic forces.

I think some sort of tech build for artificer would be good, rather than a distinct class.  Alternatively, a tech build for each class, perhaps with encounter and daily powers that boost other powers, representing the use of magical ingrediants that are common (historically, most any plant and rock was considered to have some sort of magical property), but require five minutes or an hour to mix properly.

Vestige pact already covers "I got a deal with dead people."  For a death pact, the patron would just be death itself.

I think some unorthodox sword-mage build with a deal that says "you do not use long blades or short blades as implements, but one weapon category of your choice."
A ranged implement Swordmage build, including more ranged, area and blast powers. There's really no need for a whole build devoted to using non-blade weapons, a simple feat would suffice.

I think everyone agrees with the Warlock At-Wills, so I really don't see any reason why WoTC would've add some in there. A new pact would probably be unnecesary.

Artificer I'm not too familiar with, but I think it should get a lot of attention since its the new kid on the block.

Sorcerer, I'd like to see secondary stats beyond Dex and Str. Maybe a melee-focused build adding onto the powers that were presented in Dragon.

Wizard, I second the Arcane Implement options for Staffs and Wands. I'd also like to see more blast powers with hard control effects, and also a LOT more powers with Arcane Implement riders.

For the Bard, I could get behind the sneaky Bard build. It would also be interesting to see a Bard that actually has a reason to use an instrument as an implement. Seriously, why not a Bard that defeats enemies and bolsters allies with THE POWER OF ROCK!!!
I'd add even more support for alternate implement masteries for the Staff and Wand.  Likewise on alternate at-wills for Warlocks.  

As far as alternate Swordmage implements, I'd rather see an option to give up blades as implements to gain another weapon group rather than a Feat.  It's an option that you shouldn't have to pay a Feat to get IMO. 
I'd add even more support for alternate implement masteries for the Staff and Wand.  Likewise on alternate at-wills for Warlocks.  

As far as alternate Swordmage implements, I'd rather see an option to give up blades as implements to gain another weapon group rather than a Feat.  It's an option that you shouldn't have to pay a Feat to get IMO. 

Get the do it at home starter kit. As a DM I allow my players to select what weapon groups they want to use for this class, blades just happen to be the most incompassing and versatile group, and therefore most appealing (and iconic).
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
Dex Bard..... i'm so disappointed they don't have that.

Artificer - We'll probably get a reprint of the powers from the recent Dragon article. On top of that I would like to see a more defenderish build, perhaps with a Str secondary.

Swordmage - I'd love to see a dual-wielding build but with multiple types of off-hand options such as tomes, wands, and light blades. Powers could have different riders depending on what your offhand implement you wield, maybe even have it affect their aegis.

Bard - Yeah why haven't we seen a Dex build yet? Some sort of dashing swordsman or whatever. With so many Strikers using Dex in some way the multi-class options would be huge, and perhaps thats why we haven't seen it. I can already imagine the crazy builds. Bard/Rogue/Ranger/Monk/Assassin/Avenger/Barbarian... maybe thats a bad idea...

Artificer - We'll probably get a reprint of the powers from the recent Dragon article. On top of that I would like to see a more defenderish build, perhaps with a Str secondary.

Swordmage - I'd love to see a dual-wielding build but with multiple types of off-hand options such as tomes, wands, and light blades. Powers could have different riders depending on what your offhand implement you wield, maybe even have it affect their aegis.

Bard - Yeah why haven't we seen a Dex build yet? Some sort of dashing swordsman or whatever. With so many Strikers using Dex in some way the multi-class options would be huge, and perhaps thats why we haven't seen it. I can already imagine the crazy builds. Bard/Rogue/Ranger/Monk/Assassin/Avenger/Barbarian... maybe thats a bad idea...

Almost  none of those are really optimal though. and you'd never have a bard power, or any feats besides the multiclass feats
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
More rituals, left and right

Something similar to the 'stance' power that martial classes get. Maybe it could be a way to keep a zone up without burning a minor action to do so.

More fluff around the vestige pacts. They are just such a great story telling idea

The divine gods of magic. (ie, Ioun. Corellon, etc) need some interplay with the arcane classes
I will throw my support for duel wielding swordmage.

I would really love to see a death pact warlock.

I wouldn't mind seeing a few (like 1 per tier, say 3rd, 13th, and 27th) weapon attack encounters for wizards that cn be used as MBA, and have a cool rider if you have staff mastery...

Before posting, ask yourself WWWS: What Would Wrecan Say?

Artificers.  Anything for the Artificer.  The main game I'm in I play an Artificer and the class is practically starved for attention.  We were supposed to get a second dragon article this month, but it disappeared off the calender.  So yeah, I'd love to see at least two new builds and would sacrifice two pigeons and a goat to get an at-will that could compete with Magic Weapon.

Some Weapon powers for the Warlock to go with that Eldritch Strike they can get at-will would be nice.  I would much rather see alternate pact at-wills than new pacts.

I'll echo the dual wielding Swordmage thought.  I'd also like it if the Swordmage warding worked so long as you were wielding any implement you were proficient in and not just Heavy/Light blades.  It would be nice if my Gnome could get away with using just a Wand (and possibly an implement at-will that counts as a Melee Basic to go with such a build).

More cantrips for the Wizard and/or more ways for other classes to get cantrips/cantrip-like effects.

Some ideas for Wizard implement masteries:

Wand of Repulsion

Once per encounter, as an immediate interrupt, push an adjacent enemy who attacks you a number of squares equal to your Dexterity modifier.

Staff of Shattering

Once per encounter, deal additional damage equal to your Constitution modifier to all targets you hit with one power and knock them prone.

I also support the idea of off-hand implements for swordmages. That is absolutely awesome. There already is the dual implement spellcaster feat to make this possible, but it would be even better if you had specialized swordmage feats with a certain effect depending on your implement choice (rod / staff / orb / tome / light blade). Your left hand free is equal to an always on +2 AC, which you have to give up, so off-hand implements should be in that power range.

Light blade: +[W] on damage with melee attacks with main hand?

Tome:

Rod: 1/round, gain temp hp = Con on hit with attack?

Oh, and we need errata for Swordmage Warding that when you use your off-hand during your turn for an attack (including using a two-handed weapon), that you lose your increased warding bonus until the start of your next turn. Otherwise we have all these weird builds again where people draw an an off-hand item at the start of their turn and stash it at the end, all as some kind of free action.

Things I'd find interesting -
Artificer - I know it's a little hard to pull off, but I'd like some material for the artificer that feels a little bit more like a magical mechanic and a little bit less like an an enchanter. The original playtest had a little more of this going on, and frankly I'm glad they changed it (it was mechanically weird), but I feel like the artificer has lost a little of his unique punch.
Swordmage - I'd be very surprised if they don't build in some kind of support for either different weapons or two-weapon fighting. On the other hand, they may want to avoid pulling the swordmage too close to other defender classes.
Warlock - Like some other posters, I wouldn't feel too shortchanged if there wasn't a new pact. Perhaps some lateral class options that replace shadow walk or prime shot. MP2 demonstrates a willingness to provide alternatives for class features that aren't replacable by default.
Sorcerer - Any new sorcerer options need to be things that really change the way the class plays, not just grant access to a different set of paragon paths, riders, and some random ability that triggers when you roll a 20 or get bloodied or whatever. The existing options are already fairly homogeneous compared to most classes. While they have sweet flavor, the mechanical differences between a storm and wild sorcerer are razor thin. I would not mind seeing strong source-specific feats that really differentiate the builds.

With regards to new secondaries - I feel as though new builds with previously unused secondary stats (like the prescient bard) are a blessing and a curse. While new secondaries allow for different feat access for a class and make new races interesting choices, they tend to have less backwards compatibility with old riders and utility powers. I feel as if new secondaries should have very compelling mechanical (Con-based sorcerer that uses close and touch attacks) or flavorful angle.
Dwarves invented beer so they could toast to their axes. Dwarves invented axes to kill people and take their beer. Swanmay Syndrome: Despite the percentages given in the Monster Manual, in reality 100% of groups of swans contain a Swanmay, because otherwise the DM would not have put any swans in the game.
Artificers.  Anything for the Artificer.  The main game I'm in I play an Artificer and the class is practically starved for attention.  We were supposed to get a second dragon article this month, but it disappeared off the calender.  So yeah, I'd love to see at least two new builds and would sacrifice two pigeons and a goat to get an at-will that could compete with Magic Weapon.

Some Weapon powers for the Warlock to go with that Eldritch Strike they can get at-will would be nice.  I would much rather see alternate pact at-wills than new pacts.

I'll echo the dual wielding Swordmage thought.  I'd also like it if the Swordmage warding worked so long as you were wielding any implement you were proficient in and not just Heavy/Light blades.  It would be nice if my Gnome could get away with using just a Wand (and possibly an implement at-will that counts as a Melee Basic to go with such a build).

More cantrips for the Wizard and/or more ways for other classes to get cantrips/cantrip-like effects.

A gnome with a wand isn't a swordmage. I have no problem allowing players to substitute weapon groups, or dual weild with an implement in the off hand, but carrying only an implement, that isn't a mystic swordsman. Thats a wizard in leather armor.

You are Red/Blue!
More love for familiars. We have plenty of material for them with the articles in Dragon included, but most of the best stuff is reserved for Artificers and Wizards. More love for the other arcane classes from familiars would be great.
Take a look at my Handbook: The Pet Store: A Familiar Keeper's Handbook Nacht: "Vecna can do ANYTHING given preptime. He's like an undead lich god Batman."

A gnome with a wand isn't a swordmage. I have no problem allowing players to substitute weapon groups, or dual weild with an implement in the off hand, but carrying only an implement, that isn't a mystic swordsman. Thats a wizard in leather armor.

Funny though, 'cause Swordmages are already rather capable of just using an implement.  He just loses 3 AC.  One AC if you decide to go Dual Implement Spellcaster.

And it's not like my Gnome doesn't play like a Swordmage.  Yes, he's got crappy MBAs, but so does any non-assault swordmage that doesn't invest in feats and uses a tiny weapon. 

Funny though, 'cause Swordmages are already rather capable of just using an implement.  He just loses 3 AC.  One AC if you decide to go Dual Implement Spellcaster.

And it's not like my Gnome doesn't play like a Swordmage.  Yes, he's got crappy MBAs, but so does any non-assault swordmage that doesn't invest in feats and uses a tiny weapon. 

Yes but they are still expected to weild a sword. If you take a feat to use something that isn't a sword as implement so be it, i don't think that it should be an option for the arcane swordsman. Now Dua Weilding with a non sword implent in the other hand i have no problem with, and would love to see support for any implent in off hand, specifically another blade.
You are Red/Blue!
Some ideas:

Artificer

Gadgeteer Artificer: Uses CHA as a secondary stat, and focuses more on the controller aspects of the artificer. This would be more of a summoning-focused build that concentrated on building constructs, devices, and alchemical solutions.
Abjuring Artificer: Uses CON as a secondary stat. A semi-defender with the ability to protect his allies with magic barriers, and keep enemies at bay.

Bard

Virtue of Grace: A DEX-secondary build for the more roguish bards out there. A blade-dancer type skilled at moving through the battlefield, buffing allies, and hindering enemies.

Sorcerer

Godborn Sorcerer: An idea heard elsewhere on the forums. A STR-based sorcerer build focused on melee and close burst attacks which do a lot of fire and radiant damage.

Swordmage

Dual-Weapon Swordmage: A swordmage which can use both a weapon and an implement (or two weapons) also sounds like a good idea.

Warlock

Death Pact: A new warlock pact focused on minor necromantic abilities involving life draining and necrotic damage. May also include minor summoning abilities.

The other pacts should also get some expanded abilities, such as additional options for at-will powers.

Wizard

Enchanter Wizard: Focuses less on direct damage and more on imposing conditions on enemies. May include a lot of charm and dominate powers.

A couple more implement abilities might also be a good idea, as would plenty of new rituals. Can never have too many of those.
Yes but they are still expected to weild a sword. If you take a feat to use something that isn't a sword as implement so be it, i don't think that it should be an option for the arcane swordsman. Now Dua Weilding with a non sword implent in the other hand i have no problem with, and would love to see support for any implent in off hand, specifically another blade.

Not "they are expected to wear a sword", you expect a swordmage to wear a sword. That doesn't mean a player can't take the class, remove the sword, and call it an "abjurer" or whatever. Works just fine, especially if part of a hybrid.

Not "they are expected to wear a sword", you expect a swordmage to wear a sword. That doesn't mean a player can't take the class, remove the sword, and call it an "abjurer" or whatever. Works just fine, especially if part of a hybrid.

The class is designed as a mystic swordsman, the idea behind the class is combing magic and martial prowess into a unique form. If you want them to weild other implements thats fine, but as far as making it part of the class I see no need. You want a front line wizard/sorcerer then take the feat tax to do so.

Even the dual weild build I would like to see set up as intially based on swords but the riders being off hand implements to support thos who do take the feat to weild other implements.

The poor MBA is a problem however, and I would like to see at-will or at least a lot more encounter powers that can take the place, and not just as a OA or Charge. The assault swordmage is the only one that can make a decent showing with their MBA as is, and so the other will often waste their warlords free attack.

You are Red/Blue!
The class is designed as a mystic swordsman, the idea behind the class is combing magic and martial prowess into a unique form. If you want them to weild other implements thats fine, but as far as making it part of the class I see no need. You want a front line wizard/sorcerer then take the feat tax to do so.

You're confusing fluff limits (use a sword because it's called swordmage) with crunch (the actual rules). 4th edition is more flexible than you think, and several classes have already been reimagined with sourcebook builds by the dev team. Just think about the rogue, which got reskinned as a fancy duelist and a thug with a club, and the bard, which got reskinned as an archer. The fighter got reskinned for light-armored dual-wielding. If you remove the swordmage name and allow the class to use a staff you have classic abjurer/war wizard. It just takes a little imagination.
You're confusing fluff limits (use a sword because it's called swordmage) with crunch (the actual rules).

Sure, but since swordmages without swords completely fly in the face of the WotC fluff, I see no particular reason for WotC to provide character options that are so radically far outside their envisioned concept for the class.

The other examples you give are not major departures (from a fluff/flavour point of view) from their original concepts.  Swordmages without swords are.

You're confusing fluff limits (use a sword because it's called swordmage) with crunch (the actual rules). 4th edition is more flexible than you think, and several classes have already been reimagined with sourcebook builds by the dev team. Just think about the rogue, which got reskinned as a fancy duelist and a thug with a club, and the bard, which got reskinned as an archer. The fighter got reskinned for light-armored dual-wielding. If you remove the swordmage name and allow the class to use a staff you have classic abjurer/war wizard. It just takes a little imagination.

Thats all well and good, but thats not the intention of the class, i have the imagination, and I'm fine with people taking it, but it is a departure from the archetype the developers wished to fill.

Swordmages with out swords are fine. I can see dwarves having axe mages, or goliaths having hammer mages,  and I'm even fine with a tiefling focusing on clubs to weild staff implements as both implement and quarterstaff(IIRC this is part of staff mechanics, if not i made it up). But these stay true to the idea of a mixture of arcne and martial actions to form a new fighting style. You want a war wizard, well you can go war wizard build, make a swordmage and say part of your war wizard training mas a weapon to channel attacks, make a swordmage and pay a feat tax to use a new implement.

Fighter is a martial master of combat, each build is a focus on a new style of combat, but all stay true to mastering fighting skills.

The rogue can is a general concept. Rogue is a title that has beenused on several archetype forever, and thus it has a lot of variety. Martial classes are the most general conecpt s in the game.

And bards had military ranged training since day one, playing that up isn't so much of a stretch. I don't know why it was tied in the way it was but they had something already supported but not backed and combined it with luck powers, fine the archery was already there and we now have a mystic archer build as well.
You are Red/Blue!
I'll second (or third or fourth) the vote for:

- Alternate at-wills for Warlock Pacts

- Alternate Wand and Staff Implement Masteries, possibly using Str as secondary (only one we don't have yet)

- A Dexterity Bard build

- Varied schools of magic, and a rewrite of White Lotus balancing it (damn, it really shouldn't be allowed to apply all those feats at once >.<)

------------------

I don't think Artificers need all that focus people are asking for. I mean, we already had a third build in a Dragon Article, which would be pretty much all the focus they'd get in AP1.
My first Arcane Power 2 request is to simply get one because I don't think we will be.

After that, I want to see a different economic system for rituals. Martial Power just gave away a whole ritual system with the cost of only healing surges to martial classes, while anyone can take rituals away from arcane casters who have to pay out ludicrous sums of gold to cast their spells. Needless to say, I'm a bit bitter about this and I committed to never purchasing another Power book except Arcane as soon as first word of Martial Practices broke.

I'd also like a section that discusses and details arcane universities. Or even one specific example to use. Like the White Lotus article in DDi, but a lot more detailed.

Beyond that, I like the previous suggestions. Well, except giving any class but Wizards cantrips. Wizards have little enough as it is.
Long Live the Lance! Give us 4e DL!
My first Arcane Power 2 request is to simply get one because I don't think we will be.

After that, I want to see a different economic system for rituals. Martial Power just gave away a whole ritual system with the cost of only healing surges to martial classes, while anyone can take rituals away from arcane casters who have to pay out ludicrous sums of gold to cast their spells. Needless to say, I'm a bit bitter about this and I committed to never purchasing another Power book except Arcane as soon as first word of Martial Practices broke.

I'd also like a section that discusses and details arcane universities. Or even one specific example to use. Like the White Lotus article in DDi, but a lot more detailed.

Beyond that, I like the previous suggestions. Well, except giving any class but Wizards cantrips. Wizards have little enough as it is.

Actually, expanding on the ritual concept would be a good idea. One idea for mitigating the cost of rituals could be an "Advanced Ritual Caster" feat that reduces the cost of ritual magic by 3/4s or something.

Other ideas might include rare components that reduce the cost of rituals when used to cast them, or a "sacrifice" system that replaces part of the gold cost with the souls of sentient beings (but would be skewed toward evil characters).
A minion summoning Necromancer-Build for the Wizard. Minions that are able to contribute in battle! 
Adopt one today!
A minion summoning Necromancer-Build for the Wizard. Minions that are able to contribute in battle! 

Please, no! The Wizard already steps on the toes of a possible Illusionist or Beguiller class, of all possible Elemental casters, and of the psion. Let's not make the same true for the Necromancer as well!
Actually, expanding on the ritual concept would be a good idea. One idea for mitigating the cost of rituals could be an "Advanced Ritual Caster" feat that reduces the cost of ritual magic by 3/4s or something.

Other ideas might include rare components that reduce the cost of rituals when used to cast them, or a "sacrifice" system that replaces part of the gold cost with the souls of sentient beings (but would be skewed toward evil characters).

I agree. Rituals are great, but I haven't seen many cast in the last two years because of the component cost and, even more, the time involved. I guess this depends on the campaign, but in our groups, regardless of the DM, the ritual casters hardly found the time to use their spells.

So yes, another vote for a feat that reduces the time and gold requirements for rituals. The improved ritual caster feat we already have is a joke: You're better of taking skill focus in the relevant skill (of all feats...)

I also like the idea of rare components: These can be handed out in place of regular treasure, and they would be worth an equivalent gold value in residuum plus some kind of effect that enhances rituals. The possibilities are endless, from rare plants that give a bonus in healing rituals to rare metals that speed up item creation, gems that help in divination, and of course monster parts!

For example, if you kill a purple worm you get a purple worm tooth as treasure, worth 500 gp in residuum and if used in alchemy gives +2 to the check for any potion with the acid keyword. Then, of course, there is demon blood, dragon scales, bat wings, spider nets, giant toad legs, dire wolf pelts... In fact, these items can act as adventure hooks, as it finally gives PCs a straightforward reason to seek out rare and dangerous monsters and kill them. And that's what the game is about, after all.

The only caveat I have with this idea is that it is better suited to Adventurer's Vault 3, rather than Arcane Power 2.
More build-specific wizard paragon paths, particulary illusionist-wizards.

Arcane Spell Schools would be another thing on my wish-list.
And more familiar/feats ofcourse. >:3
an elven/eladrin/half-elven/drow Bladesinger PP
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
Some ideas:

Bard

Virtue of Grace: A DEX-secondary build for the more roguish bards out there. A blade-dancer type skilled at moving through the battlefield, buffing allies, and hindering enemies.

Actually, I had just used the exact same name for my houseruled dex-secondary Bard Virtue ! Virtue of Grace was something like that : Gain +1 AC while not wearing heavy armor. Whenever you reduce an enemy to 0 HP, all your allies within 5 squares gain a bonus do their AC equel to your DEX bonus against opportunity attacks.
Not my design for the virtue was great (it was supposed to make the Bard go to the frontline, so that he had to take risks to benefit from his virtue), but it's always fun to see people come up with the same kind of idea...

Naturally, I also crave for a dex secondary bard option, representing a swashbuckling/dancing bard. Multiclassing into rogue should be a natural option for Bards !!
an elven/eladrin/half-elven/drow Bladesinger PP

I've read this request several times by now (might be always the same poster). I wonder: The classic Bladesinger is a 2nd edition elf Wizard / Fighter multiclass. However, in 2nd edition that meant a Wizard with a better BAB and the ability to wield a sword. (Yes, I checked the old 2nd edition book.)

Now, in 4th edition, BAB is gone, and a Wizard can have pretty good melee basic attack with just 2 feats. Or he could go Wizard of the Spiral Tower PP. Or you could make swordmage instead. Or hybrid Fighter / Wizard. Or hybrid Wizard / Swordmage. Or Wizard / Warlord. Or...

So, out of curiosity: If there was a Bladesinger PP
- What class should it be based on
- What class features should it have
- How would it be different from the options I listed above?
Bladesinger was two things in 2nd edition - a fighting style, as well as a character kit.

The fighting style is 1-handed weapons only - although it can be pretty much any one-handed weapon, it doesn't actually have to have a blade. Gives an alternating bonus to attack or defense or allows an attack and a parry in the same round. Basically, Bladesingers who are just other classes that have spent their WPs in Bladesinging have 3 combat modes - Attack, Defense, and Mixed.

As for Bladesinger the character kit, it's a couple of hit bonuses and armor bonuses with some minor roleplaying minuses. No heavy armor, 1-handed weapons only. You need to be a fighter-mage to take the kit, so you're basically a fighter who casts some wizard spells. Really, Bladesinger doesn't need to be a prestige class, it's already in 4th edition - it's just called the Swordmage.
Well, Swordmage and Bard.  They get Songblades!
Since Martial Power 2 introduced paragon paths for martial characters multiclassing to other power sources (e.g. Avernian Knight, Arcane Trickster, Arcane Battlemaster), that opens the door for something I've been dying to see for quite some time.

Namely, a paragon path specifically for Bards who multiclass into Druid. Fili would be a good name for it. I'm thinking, for starters, ability for Bards to use implements with which they're proficient with Druid powers and Charisma in place of Wisdom to attack and damage with them. And then a lot of other cool, Celtic-inspired stuff attached. That'll bring back the flavor of the 1st Ed. Bard.
Since Martial Power 2 introduced paragon paths for martial characters multiclassing to other power sources (e.g. Avernian Knight, Arcane Trickster, Arcane Battlemaster), that opens the door for something I've been dying to see for quite some time.

Namely, a paragon path specifically for Bards who multiclass into Druid. Fili would be a good name for it. I'm thinking, for starters, ability for Bards to use implements with which they're proficient with Druid powers and Charisma in place of Wisdom to attack and damage with them. And then a lot of other cool, Celtic-inspired stuff attached. That'll bring back the flavor of the 1st Ed. Bard.

Fili is just one of the Irish names for the Scholarly caste in the old Celtic caste system.  I think that Ovate would probably be a better name, denoting prophet, and being tightly associated with Bards and Druids within the Scholarly Caste, and having nominal forms throughout the Celtic World (Fáith in Ireland, Ofydd in Wales, Vates in Gaul, etc).

But I think your idea is -awesome-.

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

I'd love to see a rage sorcerer.

A sorcerer who channels his arcane might through his emotions like the old 3e rage mage.  It'd fulfill that archtype of the enraged blaster who goes around demolishing everything.

It would be great to see it Con based.
I'd love to see a rage sorcerer.

A sorcerer who channels his arcane might through his emotions like the old 3e rage mage.  It'd fulfill that archtype of the enraged blaster who goes around demolishing everything.

It would be great to see it Con based.

I think they'd wind up doing Str-based so it could multiclass well with barbarian (likely thaneborn).
Sign In to post comments