Dungeon 175 - Creature Incarnations: Living Spells

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
DnDi_Large.png        Dungeon 175
Creature Incarnations:
Living Spells

by Peter Lee

Living spells are deadly horrors that haunt the Mournlands, the cursed remains of the great nation of Cyre. These monstrosities at first appear to be lingering conjurations, but they have no external guidance—these spells have a life of their own.

Most living spells are the animated form of a single spell, but occasionally multiple spells interact to form a hybrid creature. The corrosion web is an example of a living spell that combines two common arcane spells: the wizard’s web and the sorcerer’s acid orb. Such combinations transform each spell in unique ways; for the corrosion web, the silk filaments forming the mass of the creature are covered with a caustic slime. Like a fisher throwing a net, the corrosion web ensnares foes with thin layers of its ropy body.

Talk about this article here.

175_living_spells.jpg

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

Too bad I can't recreate one of my ultimate creatures from 3.5e: The Living Wish spell.  I only used it once, but that combat was wild.
CORE MORE, NOT CORE BORE!
If only cloud of daggers was as cool as its living spell version looks.
I like the theory behind this. I might use them at some time.

Also, what did the 3.5 Living Wish spell do when it engulfed a target, did it vary which spell it affected them with? Increase their scores?
Take a look at my Handbook: The Pet Store: A Familiar Keeper's Handbook Nacht: "Vecna can do ANYTHING given preptime. He's like an undead lich god Batman."
I like the theory behind this. I might use them at some time.

Also, what did the 3.5 Living Wish spell do when it engulfed a target, did it vary which spell it affected them with? Increase their scores?

I had a d% chart with effects that it could do.  Yes, in some cases it increased ability scores, when it engulfed corpses it sometimes resurrected them.  Overall it was a pretty hard combat to run.
CORE MORE, NOT CORE BORE!
If only cloud of daggers was as cool as its living spell version looks.

I agree, I was half expecting it to be a swarm, but the logic about at-wills = minions makes some sense.  Of course, I'll probably rejigger them if I want to run any of them.  make the cloud a standard swarm or something and call it an enlarged cloud of daggers. ;)
This is the happy swamp. Love it. I am red/blue, I think logically and act impulsively.