2/10/2010 StF: "Angry Lands, Brave Adventurers, and Other Decks for Vorthos"

6 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Savor the Flavor, which goes live Wednesday on magicthegathering.com.

Interesting Article.

The main course was pretty general flavor that I had already picked up on, but the entire vampires don't really chill with the other humanoids was something worth hitting a few more times.

It's nice to have official confirmation that archons are the holy versions of spectres, and full art of them is sweet.

It also was nice to have it explicitly stated that vampires aboard just.... hide more, and so seem alot more "wild" (i.e. might kill and eat you) then kor or goblins do.

I guess the vampires who do bother to inflitrate non-vampire settlements are generally casters with some commands of glamour magic to cover up their true.

And the official maybe-maybe not for vampire origin tells is nice to have.
It's supposed to be "When Lands Attack Week", a topic/deck type I've been trying to make for a while now.  I'm dissapointed that nobody has written a solid article about it.  MM didn't do the topic justice, SF wrote about the pre-release, and now StF just wrote about making theme decks for Zendikar.  I understand that people can write what they want, but I really wanted more from the theme week.  It was a theme I loved, and nobody seems to be getting behind it.  I'm just dissapointed.
Fear Of The Dark, Fear Of The Dark, I Have A Constant Fear That Something's Always Near; Fear Of The Dark, Fear Of The Dark, I Have A Phobia That Someone's Always There- Iron Maiden Fear of the Dark shall be feared no longer! Let him be praised instead! (Many, many thanks for all your hard work!) - darkwarlock I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
Check out my DnD blog! www.artificersintuition.blogspot.com
I guess the vampires who do bother to inflitrate non-vampire settlements are generally casters with some commands of glamour magic to cover up their true.

The last StF by Jenna Helland contained a lot of info on Anowon - the vampire that travelled a lot around Zendikar and even settled with the merfolk at the lighthouse in Sea Gate. The story says he went there in disguise (as a man called Kejahar).

It doesn't say if the disguise was magical, but I'm guessing it doesn't take that much to hide the fact you're a vampire. After all, if you wash off those funky body-paints and get a normal haircut, you're just a pale guy with big fangs. Oh... then there are those spike things on your elbows and shoulders. That may be hard to conceal.
Manaug.gif | Manawu.gif | Manau.gif | Manaub.gif | Manaur.gif

You should also consider Battle Hurda and Caravan Hurda; even though they're too unsophisticated to have a class type, they're definitely useful as traveling pack animals that are thematically appropriate.

why are hurdas giants? they're stupider than giants traditionally are, far less humanoid, and don't exist in a similar social role. even the surrakar seem more aware, and while giants have never been geniuses (most of them anyway), i never pictured them as animals. what is gianty about hurdas besides their size? i know you guys try not to make too many extraneous types, but i think i'd rather they just be creature type - hurda.
I totally agree.  There should be a fine line between making too many random creature types and naming things what they aren't.

Does wizards read this stuff?
Sign In to post comments