Tell Me About Your Character's Song/Public Works Project

3 posts / 0 new
Last post

Mild spoilers for ADCP 2-1 and WATE 2-1 follow...

So PCs who've been through Paladins' Plague or Gilding a Noble may have a couple of story awards which speak to their fame in the Forgotten Realms. If your PC has done these, and has either a public works project or a song about him/her, I'd like to hear about it so that I can have NPCs mention it in my games. I don't want my inns to be full of generic songs: I want PCs to walk into my inns and hear bards singing songs about your characters.

So let's hear about your character's ego boosts.

My 3.x character was a Bard, and I wrote up song notes from his first adventure.  The Ballad of the Emerald Princess is an hour-long tale about the salvage of a shipwreck.  Several variants exist; one is a paeon to NG alignment, one discourses on the virtues of a sailor's life; another is a (rather obvious) morality tale; his personal favorite has low-level bardic spells - the equivalent of light, ghost sound, prestidigitation - written into the performance for enhancement value.

Rough plot:  The Emerald Princess is heading home after a profitable voyage.  The ship encounters a storm on the last night at sea.  Unbeknownst to the others, the Executive Officer has hatched a plot to run the ship ashore on an island and loot the cargo.  He tries to enact his plot and wrecks the ship on rocks.  The Captain and crew make it to shore and are attacked by their would-be plunderers.  They find a small boat and escape, then make it back to a civilized port.  A salvage effort is undertaken.  A group of adventurers are taken along as extra manpower.  Two adventurers can't get along; they play pranks and practical jokes on each other all through the voyage.  The crew finds their ship and proceed to unload the most valuable cargo.  A wizard tries to use Tenser's Floating Disk as an underwater elevator (no such luck, alas).  The half-elf (me in musical disguise) locates the Captain's cabin and retrieves his equipment / tools, then gives them to their rightful owner.  The half-orc finds the wine jugs.  ALL of them.  (Hey, for him this is the best part of the cargo !)  An evil-aligned character can't swim worth a d*%$ and gets a face full of water.  Another selfish character finds the crates of Leather Armor (which is only good for repair parts).  Another character, NG alignment, finds a few waterproofed barrels full of spices.  It takes all day to remove the valuable cargo from the wreck.  Near sunset, the Executive Officer and some island inhabitants are seen rowing towards the salvage ship, obviously bent on an attack.  The salvagers are able to escape on a fortunate breeze.  At the end of the song, the Captain gives a small sack to the half-elf; it is full of pearls.  You could buy a ship with this reward !  He does ... and hires the Captain and crew to operate it.  (This is a way to make the world right again, for story purposes.)

My 4e character is a half-elf, and when he retires he wants to build an orphanage or similar home for half-breed children (think Redwall) in a country where two races don't get along well but must live in close proximity to each other.  I think this might qualify as a public works project.

Best complements I have yet received

Making it up as I go along:

{BRJN} If I was writing the Tome of Lore, I would let Auppenser sleep. But I also would have him dream. In his dreaming he re-activates the innate powers of (some) mortal minds. Or his dreaming changes the nature of reality - currently very malleable thanks to Spellplague &c. Or whatever really cool flavor text and pseudo-science explanation people react positively to.

{Lord_Karsus} You know, I like that better than the explanations for the Spellplague.

{BRJN} If Bhaal approves of The Joker, does he approve of Jack Nicholson's portrayal or Heath Ledger's protrayal more?

{Stigger} That question is utterly classic, and completely on target.

Prepped ahead of time:

I started the 4e thread "1001 Failed Interrogation Results" (now lost in that great electronic goodnight, alas)

{ADHadh} These are all good and make sense! I just can't come up with something that's not covered here and is not completely ridiculous.

(News bulletin: Updated thread to be posted after I review the 5e DMG)

My 5e characters

Active:

none yet - gotta find a group !

Character Ready-to-go:

Erevyn Meliamne, Wood elf Monk1, inspired by "Radar O'Reilley" from M*A*S*H

Concepts I'm kicking around:

Barbarian w/Tough feat, to be nearly indestructible

"Truenamer" cleric - all spells are Verbal

"Buggy" Wizard - insect flavor on everything.  His DMPC / BBEG version is going to become a beetle version of a Worm That Walks.  (See the 4e Lamia.)  Because lichdom is so cliche.

So PCs who've been through Paladins' Plague or Gilding a Noble may have a couple of story awards which speak to their fame in the Forgotten Realms. If your PC has done these, and has either a public works project or a song about him/her, I'd like to hear about it so that I can have NPCs mention it in my games. I don't want my inns to be full of generic songs: I want PCs to walk into my inns and hear bards singing songs about your characters.

So let's hear about your character's ego boosts.

It was with some incredulity that paladins noted one of the adventurers that helped raise one of the broken temples. Surely, that should be the work of a champion of good. And yet, the adventurer was a drow. Of undeniable beauty and silvered tongue was he, but also periodically of fell countenance, with his cloak often giving off wisps of shadow... some say he spoke to the shadows and that the temple now has places where light will not illuminate... and dark corners not in the original plans. But that could not be the truth, could it? For Zelendri Xorlarrin is said to have been a defender of Elturel, friend to the orphans, and blessed with a gift of radiance by the High Observer at the Altar of Justice. The glow of Amaunator's gift shone upon him. Still, the rumors are unsettling. Perhaps just racial bias... no one wants to trust a drow.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Sign In to post comments