Arcane Slasher (410 DPR)

171 posts / 0 new
Last post
There are some variants on the slasher that use monk.
Unfortunately, none of them are mine.  Both White Lotus Master Riposte and Aegis of Assault use an Immediate Interrupt, both of which are better than a shift 2. 
There are some variants on the slasher that use monk.
Unfortunately, none of them are mine.  Both White Lotus Master Riposte and Aegis of Assault use an Immediate Interrupt, both of which are better than a shift 2. 

Even when that shift becomes a teleport with staff of the traveler?

Even when that shift becomes a teleport with staff of the traveler?

WLMR and AoA both give you an Eldritch Strike hit.  AoA also gives a teleport to start with.  With Shadowrift Blade, Eldritch Strike gives a teleport as well.

Teleport 2 isn't as good as (WLMR, the weaker of the two) hit + teleport.
The difference between madness and genius is determined only by degrees of success.
RIP Arcane Slasher

Killed by a drive-by rules update.

I think no better memorial can be made
Than to let it be known that shortly before the nerf 
The Shift Slasher reached 2000+ single-target dpr, with nearly 1000 of that as autodamage.

Farewell, oh Damage King.

As a concluding note, the possible directions exist to make some use of slasher tactics:

1. Prince of Hell.  It is possible to make a level 30 slasher that is still in the upper dpr ranks based on the Prince of Hell's level 30 feature.  Still, that's only at one level, and using level 30 features(which is usually eschewed by the CO).  And he'll never be what the slasher was at its height.

2. Tiefling+Long Night Scion.  You can still get a teleport every turn, and Radiant One still gets to tag its extra damage on, so you can still boost your individual teleports fairly well.  Tiefling and Long Night Scion get to double-dip on any mods you have (like radiant one and vulnerability), so you could do reasonably well on it.  Keep in mind also that teleport damage is an enemies-only 3x3(all adjacent squares), so that's another plus to make it possibly worthwhile.  Find a reliable way to get off-turn teleports and you'll be posting up competitive dpr in no time.
I've been working on a shift slasher for a game tomorrow. What's the rule change that gimps the build? I missed it.
I've been working on a shift slasher for a game tomorrow. What's the rule change that gimps the build? I missed it.

Both Feyslash (or whatever) and Winter Winds only work once per turn now.
What Nox_Noctis said.  Slashing Wake, Winter Winds and the equivalent tiefling feat all only work once per turn.
Right, Slashing Wake. It's been so long since I bothered with that version... Winter Winds is so much better for optimization.
What Nox_Noctis said.  Slashing Wake, Winter Winds and the equivalent tiefling feat all only work once per turn.

So, if you find a good way to gain shifts->teleports off-turn (i.e. during your party member's turns, during the enemies turns etc), you can still get some slashes - especially now that thieflings get a feat-based slash -> 2 slashes on teleport.

E.g. shift on OAs with Mark of Sentinel, Opportunity Sidestep, shift on allies turns with whistles of warning

For example, a party of 5 slashers (which can be a diverse bunch, race, pp and mc warlock is fixed) would generate 10 slashes per turn without attacking-> 50 slashes total, lets say 30 damage on average -> 1500 damage in round 1, just using the minor actions of your party (i.e. you can still use the normal novas, minus one minor action)
Sign In to post comments