Campaign Legal Source

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I played Jungle Hunt over the weekend and one of the rewards was an item from a Campaign Legal Source. It did not say from a player legal resource and I am wondering if this would include
Boon's From the DMG 2, which are not normally player legal resources but are legal in the Campaign if you get them in a mod.

Specifically I am interested in Pelor's Sun Blessing Level 13 version
Adventure rewards *are* allowed to use sources which are not normally "player resources".  It's been noted in several other recent threads on boons that, while you cannot purchase a boon (since boons are not in a "player resource"), you can receive one if it's an award from an adventure.
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"
edit Seems like there will be some variance on this sigh so for now more gold it is...

Can someone explain the difference between a campaign legal source and a player resource.

I would assume that Campaign Legal Source was more broad as an advantage for playing a con only game, but I'd love to hear something definitive.

Thanks for the quick response I will enjoy my shiny new boon =)

Not so fast. ;)

There is nothing that says the DMG2 is legal for use in the campaign.  That is a (sloppy) reference to what the CCG calls "player resources".

There are modules which give you a reward from a source that is otherwise not usable in the campaign.  This isn't one of them.

Unless an adventure specifically gives you a boon from the DMG2, you cannot take a boon from the DMG2.

For one thing, boons are not magic items so they would not qualify for this reward.  Also, DMG2 is not a campaign legal source for a player to choose items from. An adventure would specifically have to hand out a reward from it, and this one does not.  Sorry, no overpowered boon for you.

Thanks for the quick response I will enjoy my shiny new boon =)

Kenobi isn't a campaign admin, and I'm not sure that's exactly what he said in any case. He's saying that specific rewards from adventures get to break the source rule. That doesn't make the DMG2 a campaign-legal source.

Here's the full list as of CCG 1.95:

Player's Handbook Series
Forgotten Realms Player's Guide (except spellscarred rules and backgrounds)
Adventurer's Vault and Adventurer's Vault 2 
Power series (Martial Power, etc.)
Manual of the Planes (paragon paths only)
Player's Handbook Heroes Miniatures
Eberron Player's Guide (except dragonmarked rules and backgrounds)
Dragon Magazine Annuals
Dragon Magazine
D&D Insider Character Builder exclusive content

All boons to date have been in the DMG2, except for one which appeared in Dungeon 171, Vecna's Boon of Diabolical Choice. Since it has no price or level listed, it's a good thing Dungeon Magazine isn't a legal source. 
Kenobi isn't a campaign admin, and I'm not sure that's exactly what he said in any case. He's saying that specific rewards from adventures get to break the source rule. That doesn't make the DMG2 a campaign-legal source.

Correct on all counts. Laughing

DMG2 isn't a "player resource".  So, if you have a reward that says something like, "any item of your level or less from any legal player resource", you cannot take a boon with it, because DMG2 doesn't qualify.

As Thanlis notes, what I was saying was that it's legitmate that a particular adventure could give out a specific reward which comes from a source which isn't a player resource.  For example, there is at least one adventure out there which does contain a boon as a reward.
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"
Yes, that's my fault for poor wording on the Jungle Hunt treasure bundles (and there are probably other treasure bundles out there with similar wording).  

The intent is that you can choose a magic item from any legal player resource, where the set of legal player resources is defined by the table in the CCG.  DMG2 isn't a player resource, so it isn't a valid choice (and it wouldn't be a valid choice even if it contained magic items).  When I wrote "campaign-legal source" what I should have written was "legal player resource" to match the CCG terminology.

Adventures might award divine boons and other things from resources that are not player resources (and have done so in a handful of cases).  The campaign documentation specifying those awards makes them legal for the characters or players to whom they are awarded -- but absent such a specific award, players are only ever allowed to choose things from the list of legal player resources.

On a tangential note, it's certainly possible that divine boons might appear in a player resource at some point, and if that happens we'll need to answer the question of whether or not they are "magic items" for those treasure bundles that allow you to choose "any magic item" from a player resource.
Talk to you later -- Sean ---- M. Sean Molley | sean [at] basementsoftware [dot] com LFR Global Administrator