Mrs. Tough Guy - A Nearly Unkillable Assassin

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mrs. Tough Guy

Mrs. Tough Guy: A Female Dwarven Revenant Assassin

In the thread here, I thought about what it would take to optimize a 15th character for a campaign in which a DM loves to kill off all the characters. For this exercise, we'll assume the following about the DM:
1) He routinely throws combats that are too hard for the party
2) He will ban anything that makes the PCs overtly "overpowered".

So the problem, as it occured to me, is that because of #1, the player will need an overpowered character to survive, but because of #2, the challenge becomes making a PC that is strong, but doesn't set off any of the DM's warning signs, so to speak. This means no Ranger-Lich, no infinite loops, no shenanigans with crit-loops, two-weapon opening, or similar tricks. It was an interesting puzzle, and so in response to a guy named Omarmar suggesting using a temp hp-generating Rageblood barbarian, and following my own thoughts on Revenants from the Ranger-Lich build, I decided to go with the following:

Key Stats:
Alias: Mrs. Tough Guy
Race: Dwarven Revenant
Level: 15
Class: Assassin (Bleak Disciple) / Soul Thief
Stats: 20 Con, 24 Dex
Defenses: AC 29 (30 with Gold Dwarf Pride), Fort 26, Ref 28, Will 22
Attacks: +21 to hit (+22 with Gold Dwarf Pride)
HP: 86
Surges: 13/day, at a Healing Surge Value of 31 (26 when not bloodied)

Key Items:
Subtle Mordenkrad +3 (+3 damage when having CA). Just because it's funny.
Iron Body Ki Focus +3 (Gain Resist 5 against targets that we hit). I picked this because people think it is crazy broken, but it doesn't hold a candle to...
Bloodcut Drowmesh +3 (Gain Resist 15 for a round by spending a healing surge)
Periapt of Cascading Health +3 (Make a save for free 1/encounter)
Iron Armbands of Power (+4 to damage with melee attacks)
Belt of Blood (+5 to Healing Surge Value when bloodied)
Lots of healing potions

Key Feats:
Obsidian Cave Recovery (When second winding, recover Shade Form)
Assassin's Escape (can turn insubstantial with Shade Form as an interrupt when hit)
Gold Dwarf Pride (+1 to hit and AC for the combat if we ever drop negative)
Death's Quickening (can take a minor action as well as a standard when in negative hp)
Key Encounter Powers:
Shade Form (Turn insubstantial until the end of the next turn or until we attack. We'll be doing this one a lot.)
Soul Shadow (A 3W encounter power that won't break Shade Form if we spend a soul shard)
Fast Hands (Essentially Quick Draw, so we can drink potions when negative without losing a turn. At-will power.)
Gloom Thief (Turn invisible for a round if we hit)
Dark Step Ambush (Turn invisible for a round if we hit)
Sheltering Dark (Concealment until end of next turn and invisibility on second round)
Shadow Jack (Turn insubstantial and enemy misses hit enemies for one round)
Key Core Abilities:
Gain 7 temporary hit points when hitting an unbloodied enemy
Gain a Soul Shard every time we kill an enemy. 3 Soul Shards can recharge Shade Form, or 1 Shard can provide a +1 bonus on any roll. We start with 1, and can have up to 5.
When we action point, we get a bonus to hit and damage for the round equal to 2+Soul Shards we have.
We can shift our speed as a move action when in Shade Form, and can move through enemies.

Commentary:
We're going to combine resistance items and temp hp generation with all those nice encounter abilities to turn invisible or insubstantial. The upshot of this is that the DM is going to be beat the crap out of us with his overpowered monsters, and we'll just quietly write down a lot less damage than he's actually tossing at us. The DM gets his fun, but we don't die.

Let's look at how it works in practice. Let's pit our 15th level assassin by herself against a group of 4 14th level soldiers while the rest of her party cowers around the corner. Using nothing but encounter powers and at-wills.

A Normal Combat
Normal Combat (I.e. no dailies being burned):
Prep Rounds) Before combat begins, we Stealth and scout ahead of the party. We see a group of four War Trolls sitting together. Their passive perception is below what we get on a 1 on our Stealth check, so we sit next to one and load up a troll with 4 shrouds (we have Hidden Insight, so they don't know it is happening). We click on a whetstone or use something else to negate their rengeneration (i.e., we're ignoring it for this combat to make the math easier).

Ambush Round) We attack the first troll and whack it with our Mordenkrad for 2d6b1+24 damage and invoke our shrouds for another 4d6+12 damage. We hit on a 7-19 (65% chance) with our Shadow Storm for 58 damage, or 19.5 on a miss (30%), or a crit for 78.5 (5%), giving a DPR = 37.7+5.85+3.925=47.475. If we hit (70% chance) we gain 7 temporary hp. The rest of the party cowers in the background like little cowards, but maybe they send in a summoned monster to provide flanking, hopefully one like a Spectral Hound or a Capturing Jaws spirit companion that can't be attacked.

Round 1 - Demi-encounter Nova) We win init. We put a shroud on our target. We action point, and gain +3 to hit and damage for the round. We attack with Gloom Thief with our Subtle Mordenkrad for 4d6b1+22 plus 1d6+3 for our shroud. 80% of dealing 44.5 damage, 5% chance of dealing 65.5 damage = DPR 38.8. If we miss, we follow up with a different encounter power to turn invisible, but since we hit 85% of the time, we'll say we hit and just use an at-will (Shadow Storm) which will hit for 2d6b1+28, for DPR 31.3, for a total round DPR = 70.1. The troll dies and we gain a soul shard. We have turned invisible, so we just back a couple squares away and re-stealth.

The trolls flail about aimlessly. Their best bet is to spread out and try Sweeping Strikes, but we're probably going to still be at full health + 7 temps.

Round 2) We shroud Troll #2 (we're still invisible) and Dark Step Ambush teleport in and attack. 70% chance of hitting and turning invisble for another round. 4d6b1+19 + 1d6+3 damage. DPR = 30.125 damage. We use our move action to move away and re-stealth.

70% chance: The trolls fail about aimlessly. We are still at full health + 7 temps = 93 hp.
30% chance: The trolls beat on us for 8.1 DPR per troll, x3 = 24.3 DPR. We're at 69.7 hp.

Joint Probability: We're at 86 hp.

Round 3) We move back up (we're still invisible, so we don't provoke) and Shadow Jack our target. We hit with a 70% chance and merge into the target, turn insubstantial and gain 7 temps. DPR = 30.125. Troll #2 is now bloodied.

70% chance: We gain +7 temps. The trolls attack us while Shadow Jacked. They deal 12.15 DPR to us and 10.8 DPR to Troll #2. We're at 81 hp.
30% chance: We take 21.9 DPR, and are at 62 hp.

Joint Probability: We are at 74 hp.

Round 4) We pop out of the troll and activate Sheltering Dark to gain concealment and invisibility during our turn if we want it, until the end of next round. We attack with Shadow Storm for 2d6b1+23 +1d6+3. DPR = 27.1. We don't gain temps, since the target is bloodied.

The trolls swing at us. If they hit (which is pretty likely, since they hit on 9+), we pop off Shade Form and become insubstantial for a round. We take 10.8 DPR. We are at 63hp.

Round 5) We finish off Troll #2 with Shadow Storm and move away (turning invisible when we leave Sheltering Dark) and re-stealth. We gain another Soul Shard.

Trolls flail about randomly.

Round 6) We teleport next to Troll #3 and attack for 24.3 damage. We Iron Body instead of Subtle.

70% chance: We gain 7 temps and Resist 5 against Troll #3. Trolls hit us for 13.8 DPR, leaving us at 56 hp.
30% chance: Trolls hit us for 16.8 DPR, leaving us at 46 hp.

Joint Probability: We are at 53hp.

Round 7) Repeat. We inflict 24.3 damage, and drop to 43hp, bloodying us.

Round 8) We Second Wind as a swift action, healing us to 74hp. We attack for 24.3 damage, gaining 7 temps, and activating Shade Form if they hit with a counter attack (85% chance).

70% chance: We gain 7 temps and Resist 5 against Troll #3. Trolls hit us for 5.75 DPR, leaving up at 75 hp.
30% chance: Trolls hit us for 7 DPR, leaving us at 68 hp.

Joint Probability: We are at 73 hp.

Round 9) We burn a soul shard and activate Soul Shadow to both attack and keep Shade Form active. We deal 6d6b1+19 + 1d6+3 with our Iron Body = 35.8 DPR. Troll #3 drops and we gain another Soul Shard. We shift up to Troll #4.

Troll #4 attacks us for 4.2 DPR. We're at 69 hp.

Round 10-14) We continue with the at-will attacks with the Iron Body ki focus. For the first few rounds while the troll is not bloodied, it'll be hitting for about 14 damage with a 60% hit rate (8.4 DPR), while we gain +7 temps on a hit with Resist 5 against the target. With a few soul shards in reserve to burn to make sure we hit, we can essentially make it tread water until it is bloodied. Then we can power it down mano y mano the rest of the way.

So there you have it, a level 15 assassin killing four level 14 soldiers by herself, using only encounter powers and at-wills, without burning any resources except a single healing surge and an action point. She'll even probably come out ahead on Soul Shards, making her even more powerful for the next combat.

Conclusion:
In normal combats, she'll be nearly impossible to kill. The temp hp generation of a bleak assassin is quite superior to that of a rageblood's or infernal warlock's. If the enemies are focusing on other people, then she just acts as a normal assassin. But if they start focusing on her, she can trigger Shade Form as an interrupt for half damage two times a combat + an extra time for every three soul shards she burns, meaning that she can effectively hold off on using Shade Form until a big attack comes in, and thus blunt the lion's share of incoming damage that way. At level 16, when she gains a soul shard every time an enemy dies within 3 squares, she'll be able to Shade Form all the time.

In dire straits, especially if she blows an attack roll to turn invisible when surrounded by deadly foes, she can activate her bloodcut armor to pick up Resist 15 against everything. With 13 surges, she's got nothing better to do with them. And if she does go down regardless of these protections, she can quickdraw a potion and heal herself back up to positive territory, again just at the cost of a healing surge. With all the ways she has of gaining resists and turning insubstantial (Shade Form 2 or 3 times a combat, and Shadow Jack) and invisible (2 encounter attack powers + 1 utility power) plus her ability to stay conscious at negative hit points, she should never die unless something goes tragically wrong.

We even have a Battle Standard of Healing picked up, so that in really deadly combats, we can play games dancing around 0 hp with our enemies. Since we stay conscious at negatives, as long as we don't die immediately (-50% hp), we can drink potions each round, which brings our entire party up to 1 hp, if the Battle Standard is planted. I've done this in Core Specials in LFR, and it is sometimes the only way to prevent a TPK, especially if your healer has gone down.

What I like best about the build, though, it does all this without any obviously broken mechanics the DM can pick up on. Assassins are supposed to turn invisible and insubstantial all the time, and her defenses are reasonable enough the DM will get to hit her all the time - it will just work out, mathematically, that she always somehow ends up surviving the combats.

Apology:
Since this is my 2000th post on these forums, I guess I should be nice and leave you guys with a more pleasant picture for a female revenant assassin than the admittedly accurate one at the top of the post:

Mrs. Tough Guy

Cheers!

Complete Character Sheet

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Revenant Assassin, level 15
Revenant, Assassin, Soul Thief
Build: Bleak Disciple Assassin
Guild Training: Bleak Disciple
Choose your Race in Life: Dwarf
Background: Akanûl (Akanûl Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 20, Dex 24, Int 9, Wis 11, Cha 12.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 14, Dex 18, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 11.

AC: 29 Fort: 26 Reflex: 28 Will: 22
HP: 86 Surges: 13 Surge Value: 26

TRAINED SKILLS
Stealth +19, Bluff +13, Acrobatics +19, Thievery +19, Endurance +19

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +6, Diplomacy +8, Dungeoneering +7, Heal +7, History +6, Insight +7, Intimidate +10, Nature +7, Perception +7, Religion +6, Streetwise +8, Athletics +7

FEATS
Level 1: Dwarven Weapon Training
Level 2: Dwarf Soul
Level 4: Hidden Insight
Level 6: Assassin's Escape
Level 8: Death's Quickening
Level 10: Obsidian Cave Recovery
Level 11: Weapon Expertise (Hammer)
Level 12: Gold Dwarf Pride
Level 14: Dwarven Durability

POWERS
Assassin at-will 1: Shadow Storm
Assassin at-will 1: Executioner's Noose
Assassin encounter 1: Gloom Thief
Assassin daily 1: Grave Spike
Assassin utility 2: Fast Hands
Assassin encounter 3: Cloaking Mist
Assassin daily 5: Twilight Assassin
Assassin utility 6: Sheltering Dark
Assassin encounter 7: Shadow Jack
Assassin daily 9: Obscuring Shadow
Assassin utility 10: Seeker of Shadow
Assassin encounter 13: Dark Step Ambush (replaces Cloaking Mist)
Assassin daily 15: Sundered Shadow (replaces Grave Spike)

ITEMS
Battle Harness Drowmesh +3, Subtle Mordenkrad +3, Periapt of Cascading Health +3, Iron Body Ki Focus +3, Iron Armbands of Power (paragon tier), Bloodcut Drowmesh +3, Belt of Blood (heroic tier), Boots of the Fencing Master (heroic tier), Battle Standard of Healing (heroic tier)
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

LOL - grats on 2000 Shaka.  That is one scary picture.  Nice build too 

Nice build. I see your interest in Soul Thief for increased to hit chance and to recharge Shade Form once an encounter. An alternative could be taking the revenant racial PP (Avenging Haunt), as the Unkillable feature is extremely good. It will help especially against brutes that outdamage the soldiers of your example (I have quite an experience playing a revenant assassin with a master that almost never misses, and rolls in front of us).
My route is Revenant (Shadar-Kai) Assassin/Avenging Haunt/Raven Consort and now (at 26th level) I'm sturdier than any other character in the group. I usually use the Battle Standard of Honor to revive my allies (as you mentioned it is one of the best ways to avoid TPK).
The drawback is that my DPR is not that good, so I'm mainly focusing on control and took walls for dailies (if you can stand for long time in a fight and can teleport and pull with Executioner's hood, or Well of Shades, then walls start to be you enemies' nightmares). Wall of Death is devastating in the long run especially against melee monster as it only damages enemies.
Most of the time I start combat barely above 0HP and hope to start failing some death saving throws to increase my defenses (I usually enjoy +2 to +4 every combat). 

Some suggestions for higher levels feats:
- Fierce Vitality
- Ghostly Vitality (one of the best feats ever).

Any item that gives you a bonus to death saving throws will help as Fierce vitality will keep you conscious. For your build the Life Charm at epic (25th level) is great as you will then be conscious due to Fierce Vitality, insubstantial and fully able to act below 0 HP.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/23.jpg)

Nice build. I see your interest in Soul Thief for increased to hit chance and to recharge Shade Form once an encounter. An alternative could be taking the revenant racial PP (Avenging Haunt), as the Unkillable feature is extremely good.

Yeah. When I was looking at the original challenge, I was considering Avenging Haunt (Voldemonte is one), and it is indeed very strong (I talked about it a bit in the original thread). However:
1) The challenge was for 15th level, and you don't become unkillable until 16th.
2) I was worried it would set off too many warning signs for the DM. He sounds like the kind of guy that doesn't like his PCs running around at -20 hit points, and would probably throw everything he had at the assassin kill him.

As it is, with the ability to pot every time you drop to negatives, you get to be essentially unkillable while retaining the ability to Shade Form multiple times.

As you say, Ghostly Vitality is very nice once you hit Epic, and essentially means you need to be dropped to -100% to die. Avenging Haunt really becomes a win then, but then the build would start looking too much like Voldemonte again, and so I wanted to avoid that. Being able to be insubstantial and/or invisible for 8 rounds is really good enough as it is, though - for any combat round that matters, you'll be taking half damage or will be nearly impossible to hit. And if we do get stuck in a sticky situation, Bloodcut Armor and immediate action insubstantial makes us really hard to kill.
Nobody wants to hit it because they're afraid they'll catch ugly...
Ohh, you developed further the build, nice Shaka

It is indeed miles harder to kill than a barbarian, or any striker lvl 15 that i have seen. Especially in encounters where you are facing one big bad overbudgeted brute.
Vagrant player in Mexico City.

As they rightfully should be, 'cause that's not normal ugly.

That being said, props to Shaka for making a serviceable Assassin after Heroic.
Very nice, and at lvl 15 ! (the build, the picture is really scary...)
That picture will haunt me for the rest of my days.

Come on, tell me that doesn't look like an undead female dwarf assassin!

She's even got the knife logo on her shirt. =)
Interesting build--I've been thinking about Revenant-Dwarf if I were ever going to play an assassin, I'll definitely return here for inspiration if that time comes.

Out of curiosity, if you were to take her up to 21st, what ED would you go for? It occurs to me that reincarnate Champion would allow you to do some gnomey stuff, giving you a few more rounds-per-combat of invisibility... might be other, better options, though.
The world is a mess, I just need to... rule it.

Oh, it certainly does. It's quite apt, just... terrifying.
Holy sh.....that picture will cause nightmares Tongue out

But a nice build Smile
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Are you sure that's a she?  Sometimes +6 Vorpal Ugly Stick ugly becomes a bit androgynous.
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
The Following takes place between 10:00 AM and 10:01 AM...
Awesomologist: "Oh cool, Shaka's got an Assassin build."
*Clicks Link*
Awesomologist: "KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!!"

It's a pretty cool build. Survivable while still a threat in melee. It's very similar to the lvl 16 version of my Revenant (Human) Bleak Disciple I almost decided to play after the retirement of my Avenger. I think I may start a thread for Assassin builds, similar to what Auspex has for Avengers. Then folks can take a look and see what Assassins can do with out being cheesy OP builds.

Off to go find some eye bleach... 
Nice build. I see your interest in Soul Thief for increased to hit chance and to recharge Shade Form once an encounter. An alternative could be taking the revenant racial PP (Avenging Haunt), as the Unkillable feature is extremely good.

Yeah. When I was looking at the original challenge, I was considering Avenging Haunt (Voldemonte is one), and it is indeed very strong (I talked about it a bit in the original thread). However:
1) The challenge was for 15th level, and you don't become unkillable until 16th.
2) I was worried it would set off too many warning signs for the DM. He sounds like the kind of guy that doesn't like his PCs running around at -20 hit points, and would probably throw everything he had at the assassin kill him.

As it is, with the ability to pot every time you drop to negatives, you get to be essentially unkillable while retaining the ability to Shade Form multiple times.

As you say, Ghostly Vitality is very nice once you hit Epic, and essentially means you need to be dropped to -100% to die. Avenging Haunt really becomes a win then, but then the build would start looking too much like Voldemonte again, and so I wanted to avoid that. Being able to be insubstantial and/or invisible for 8 rounds is really good enough as it is, though - for any combat round that matters, you'll be taking half damage or will be nearly impossible to hit. And if we do get stuck in a sticky situation, Bloodcut Armor and immediate action insubstantial makes us really hard to kill.

I see your points. For epic keep in mind the interaction of Life Charm and Fierce Vitality. It's essentially equal to Unkillable. The normal feature of the revenant keeps you conscious until you attempt your first saving throw, but fierce vitality keeps you conscious until you fail two saving throws and that will never happen. In that case you can afford going deeper into negative HP to optimize the use of each healing surge.

As they rightfully should be, 'cause that's not normal ugly.

That being said, props to Shaka for making a serviceable Assassin after Heroic.

If that ugly mutates to an airborne form it could be the end of the human race.  
The Following takes place between 10:00 AM and 10:01 AM...
Awesomologist: "Oh cool, Shaka's got an Assassin build."
*Clicks Link*
Awesomologist: "KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!!"

If that ugly mutates to an airborne form it could be the end of the human race.  

Heh heh heh.

Mrs. Tough Guy can even kill people in real life. She's that good. =)

It's a pretty cool build. Survivable while still a threat in melee. It's very similar to the lvl 16 version of my Revenant (Human) Bleak Disciple I almost decided to play after the retirement of my Avenger. I think I may start a thread for Assassin builds, similar to what Auspex has for Avengers. Then folks can take a look and see what Assassins can do with out being cheesy OP builds.

Yeah, I don't think that the build is as powerful as some of my other approaches, but the goal was to make a character that could be unkillable, while flying under a hostile DM's radar, which meant mixing things up a little bit.

That said, I think the build is quite serviceable across all levels, though I guess I'd probably mix up the feat ordering a little bit if I wanted to play this in LFR.

Actually, based on the reactions to the photo, hmm... could be fun. Laughing
A friend of mine, Aaron Pilgrim, just told me he'd seen the thread, and thought she was totally hot.

Fortunately for him, I found another photo of Mrs. Tough Guy, while eating at the adventuring hall.

friendless-goth.jpg

It is unclear why nobody is eating with her.
Somebody was, but she ate him.

Bloodcut Drowmesh +3 (Gain Resist 15 for a round by spending a healing surge)

I think you may misunderstand how a healing surge keyword item power works...
>> The first time you use it in a day, it is a normal activation, requiring whatever action specified in the power. (no healing surge required)
>> It is then 'dead' until recharged.
>> As a standard action, you can recharge the power.
>> This standard action costs one healing surge, and has no effect other than recharging the power for use.
>> You can then use the item's power again, requiring whatever action specified in the power.

To use the bloodcut armor as a specific example; you can use a minor action to gain resist 15 to all damage until the end of your next turn. It is now a 'dead' item... until you use a standard action and a healing surge to no effect other than recharging the armor's power. Once so recharged, you can spend another minor action to again gain resist 15 to all damage until the end of your next turn, and it is now 'dead' again... the cycle continues.

The first use of the armor in an encounter is nice. If you wait until a short rest to recharge it, it isn't so bad.
But requiring spending a healing surge (with no healing effect), a standard, and a minor action to use a second (third, fourth, etc.) time in a single encounter makes this armor a lot less powerful than you seem to think; the iron body ki focus does a lot more than 'hold a candle' to bloodcut; it is far more powerful when used properly.
the iron body ki focus does a lot more than 'hold a candle' to bloodcut; it is far more powerful when used properly.

Resist 15 against 5 monsters is far and away more powerful than resist 5 against one monster, especially since the Ki Focus costs you -3 damage to use. When combined with Shade Form, you go from taking let's say 100 damage (5x20) in a round down to 10. With Ki Focus, you'll take 47 damage.

What it's useful for is the situation when you pop out of hiding and flub your attack roll to turn invisible or Shadow Jack someone, and have an entire encounter's worth of monsters looking at you by yourself.
You're right for this build; but for a multiattack build, the ki focus can be a lot more powerful.

I just often see people misconstrue how the Healing Surge based items work, thinking they can activate them by spending a healing surge with no action penalty...making them more powerful than intended.
You're right for this build; but for a multiattack build, the ki focus can be a lot more powerful.

I just often see people misconstrue how the Healing Surge based items work, thinking they can activate them by spending a healing surge with no action penalty...making them more powerful than intended.

Fair enough. It's basically an emergency button for this character. I don't think I used it in the combat analysis at all.

Very nicely done, ShakaUVM

I came to be a fan of your builds... (your list of favorites is a great readLaughing). 

Now, to the point. I'm also tinkering with Assassins and this build looks like a solid starting point. Even though I'm concerned more on the damage-dealing side in my researches I appreciate the idea of this build - dealing more damage due to being around for longer. 

I would like to bring forth some possibilities for further development:

1.  Hybridizing with "Warlock" - I know the rules are not actually in play yet and I know that we all have ideas of possible Assassin hybrids. Of course, the big question here is how will Assassin's Shroud work in its Hybrid version. The worst probable scenario is the one where Shrouds are "placed" with Assassin powers only (similar to pretty much every other hybrid striker). And even that's OK for us now because we want to use them powers with the current build anyway. Basically we will need the Hybrid Walorck for the ability to use Eldrich Stike instead of melee basic attack which by itself increases the damage output a little. And if we can pull off this Eldrich Strike often enough (say we position ourself in a way to make  Opportunity Attacks) we can even make use of the Warlock's Curse bonus damage that is applied only to WL attacks. We need to make but 1 Eldrich Stike per turn to be able to fully utilize the WLC. Of course we can seek out minor action attacks - either Assassin or Warlock to free room for the other form of attack to kick in and apply its class bonus. So, all in all we'll be trading 1 feats (in order to obtain Shadow Form as hybrid talent) for the WL benefits - extra damage and a very powerful substitution for the melee basic attack (which is surely worth a feat). 

2. Multiclassing with "Spellscarred" here's the deal: there's a power called Venomous Bloodfang (and it's more powerful high-level version: Iron Fang of Bloodlust) that allows us to deal necrotic damage and gain HPs (real ones, not temporary). I'm not really sure how will this stack with our racial revenant  Dark Reaping (especially with the Dark Feasting feat) but I suppose it will stack at least one-way if not the both-way. If we get our hands on a Necrotic weapon or find other ways to make necrotic damage or at least turn other forms of damage to necrotic, this could give us one helluva a healing. The down side here is that temporary HP doesn't stack, however there's always the possibility to use Dark Reaping for heal when there's no un-bloodied enemy to hit with our Bleak Assassin class feature. 

What do you say, how do you think this two will work out? I'm sure that I can't see all the side-effects by myself and that's why I seek other people's look at the issue. Keep up the good work --

Good day, everyone ;)
So, all in all we'll be trading 1 feats (in order to obtain Shadow Form as hybrid talent) for the WL benefits - extra damage and a very powerful substitution for the melee basic attack (which is surely worth a feat).

Note that Cursed Shadow (a feat lots of people like on here) is a feat that will give you Shadow Walk without needing to burn your hybrid feat. It's a very solid choice for a build like this.

Just saw this thread for the first time.

::shiver::
Sign In to post comments