Has anyone made custom X-Wings/Tie Fighters etc to scale Huge and Colossal?

I love the AT-AT, Snow Speeder, AT-ST etc...has anyone made any custom ships that are to scale with those vehicles? I understand why Starship Battles is the way it is but I would love to have the smaller ships to scale with what I own from Wizards.

Thanks.
hiya!
i have made several vehicles that work with the sliding scale that is star wars minis! Laughing
Most notably is Jango Fetts Slave 1, which you can find on my devart site.
I recommend you check out the revell model kits range. Its HUGE!
the Tie Fighter and X-wing are to scale; that is compared to their in-map representations.

Azrikel has made a Republic Gunship that appears to be in scale (although id like to see him fit 60 clone troopers inside it...) Laughing

I hope this helps! Laughing
Kobayashimaru
Nice! Do the Revell models say 34mm scale or something? How do I know beforehand that they are to scale?

Nice Slave I and I saw the Gunship, that was awesome.

Thanks!
@grimmbolt
With the revell kits, its a process of trial and error to see if they are 'in scale'. You should have no problems to ask a shop keeper to open the packaging so you can inspect the scale (much like revells At RT -- its the height of an ATST in SWM scale!!!) Laughing

I recommend taking some minis with you to help gauge the revell or other model. Or, you could always use it as an excuse to buy more minis! Laughing I know i do!
EDIT: I think the ATAT and The Millenium Falcon are in scale, and i think the snowspeeder three pack and the droid starfighter three pack are slightly smaller than scale.

Kobayashimaru
Thanks Kobay. Eep, I will have to surf the web to see who has done this hard work already lol.
Out of curiosity what is the modeling scale for SW minis?  Id like to steal some parts from other stuff.  A 1:100  F-15 was out of "scale" but I was able to steal a missile off of it to put on a SW mini. 
Pax Pro Eo Optimus Arma Teabeeyea
@Teabeeyea;
it was a sliding scale for the scale of star wars minis. for example, look at the stormtrooper figure, or chewbaccas various incarnations throughout the game. it seems to be around the same scale as GWs W40K line of figures, (or more accurately, Paizo miniatures line of minis).

Basically, take a couple of figures with you, and have a look at some models around the place (revell, gi joe action toys, etc) and after a couple of outings youll get an idea on how to judge if something is in scale or not. Laughing

Hope this helps,
Kobayashimaru
Another option is to use the SW action fleet ships(mostly found thru ebay since they haven't been made in a long time). The Tie Fighter and X-wing are slightly smaller but look close enough. The A-wing and Y-wing from that series work too. Another option is the SW Transformer ships such as the clone trooper gunship or Imperial shuttle. The bad thing on the model boxes don't seem to post a scale anymore at least on SW ships.

A side project I want to build a scale stock light freighter like something other than a YT-1300. I was inspired by this find. I haven't built anything yet since I haven't found a suitable frame.
hawk001.jpg
Another option is to use the SW action fleet ships(mostly found thru ebay since they haven't been made in a long time). The Tie Fighter and X-wing are slightly smaller but look close enough. The A-wing and Y-wing from that series work too. Another option is the SW Transformer ships such as the clone trooper gunship or Imperial shuttle. The bad thing on the model boxes don't seem to post a scale anymore at least on SW ships.

A side project I want to build a scale stock light freighter like something other than a YT-1300. I was inspired by this find. I haven't built anything yet since I haven't found a suitable frame.
hawk001.jpg

Nice! How slightly smaller? I'm a bit of an idealist :P
There was a link once that had the scales someone had figured out it to the T. But that link was attached to the old message boards on gleemax and now its dead. Maybe I can try to dig some of my ships out tomorrow and post some pics with minis near them. I even have a diecast snowspeeder that is more to scale than the SW mini one thru WOTC. Actually I have a link to it.  Thats from my Hoth sets I build. Here is an action fleet landspeeder too. I this helps. I build a lot of 3D terrain.
tat

hoth
Your 3d terrain is sweet!

Thanks for any help you can provide on this. Must...buy...more to scale minis...and stuff...
I appreciate the compliments.

Someone on another forum gave me this link on scales. You might find it to some use but it really doesn't have anything on SW minis. But it will show you true scale. SW minis are roughly 28mm to 30mm.... I'm sure someone will correct me.
theminiaturespage.com/ref/scales.html
I appreciate the compliments.

Someone on another forum gave me this link on scales. You might find it to some use but it really doesn't have anything on SW minis. But it will show you true scale. SW minis are roughly 28mm to 30mm.... I'm sure someone will correct me.
theminiaturespage.com/ref/scales.html

Nice! Now I have an excuse to put my High School/College math to use :P
I'll delve into it.
I've found 1/60, 1/51, 1/54 scale to be the closest. The 1/48 is noticably too large.

pages.infinit.net/jfp/swgallery/anh/MPC_...

but you can go down to 1/72 and still be pretty close.

Keep in mind even in the films not everything was built to scale.

The Falcon in the hoth base was only 3/4 scale inspite of the actors standing on top of it in some shots. The interior you see in other shots would not have fit in side.

You can get away with a good bit in the game because if you look at the minis not all of them are in scale with each other ether.

I've been very pleased with Revell pre painted snaps on the market lately.

www.hobbylinc.com/cgi-bin/s7.cgi?cat_s=S...

Some old Micro Machine items

GA68132LG.JPG

And some of the Star Wars Transformer line.
653569339908.jpg
Star%20Wars%20Clone%20Wars%20AT-TE%20vehicle%20electronic%20toy.jpg

Tell me what you are looking for in particular and I'll tell you the closest thing out there.

I've found 1/60, 1/51, 1/54 scale to be the closest. The 1/48 is noticably too large.

but you can go down to 1/72 and still be pretty close.

Keep in mind even in the films not everything was built to scale.

The Falcon in the hoth base was only 3/4 scale inspite of the actors standing on top of it in some shots. The interior you see in other shots would not have fit in side.

You can get away with a good bit in the game because if you look at the minis not all of them are in scale with each other ether.

I've been very pleased with Revell pre painted snaps on the market lately.

www.hobbylinc.com/cgi-bin/s7.cgi?cat_s=S...

Some old Micro Machine items

And some of the Star Wars Transformer line.

Tell me what you are looking for in particular and I'll tell you the closest thing out there.

Awesome links! I really appreciate it.

Really I'm looking for anything right now. It's like the end of Wizards' minis opened up a new avenue for me to keep buying, like an anything to-scale goes situation.

I just bought 3 AT-AT Colossal packs and I was like, it would be sweet to have some vehicles which is what spurned this thread. I think I'd start with a Tie, X-Wing, Falcon, B and Y-wing.

Which Wizards minis aren't to scale? It would be good for me to know that.

Once again, thanks!
The itty bitty Tri-droid mini bothered me enough to pick up a few of of the 3 1/4 ones.

www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/search.aspx?...
TAC0805tridroidC1.jpg

When they apeared in Revenge of the Sith and Clone Wars movie they were much bigger then the minis. These ones are quite obvously meant to be "huge" not "large" as the mini is.

Take note, now they have recently come out with an even bigger one which is the correct scale for the  3 1/4 toys. That one is way too big for minis but the old one is spot on.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tie Fighters

Vaders tie  from micro machiens is pretty darn close.

www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx...

As is the A-wing and Tie intersepters. The standard Tie was much harder to find and only the model kit I posted in my last post satisfied me and that is in part because the tie pilot mini figure is so large compared to other minis.

The pocket model Tie intersepter looks good and seems cheap. It's a little small.

Youtube is helpful.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_ozHDi1GOk

The Darth Vader tie shown in the Youtube video is not the Pocket model version which should be closer to what you are looking for. For the price it's your best deal rather then trying to track down the old MicroMachiens ones.

Also shown is the Revell snap Imperal shuttle which is small but not bad as is the Revell Snap Falcon which I have a differant kit but I've heard good things about this one.

DO NOT MIX UP THE KITS. The "Revell Snap" line and "Revell Pocket Models" line both have some good and bad scale matchs. 

There is a Pocket Model Revell Falcon, X-Wing, Republic Gunship, ARC-170 Fighter which is too small. 

The Revell Pocket model Jedi, Tie, Darth, intersepters should be good. Close enough.

The Revell snap Jedi and Darth intercepters are TOO BIG but the Revell Snap Falcon, Slave I, Torrent V-19, Republic Gunship, MagnaGuard Starfighter, ARC-170, Fighter X-Wing and Y-Wing are good.

Find out all you can before you buy because it's easy to get confused.

If you buy from
www.hobbylinc.com/index.htm
Please credit me for sending you to them.    char666@hotmail.com  So i can get 5% off my next purchase.Cool

There are other iteams in the 3 1/4 line that match minis quite nicely too. 
I managed to dig these out to show scale comparison. I hope they help. Some are SW minis and others are action fleet. The snowspeeder with the canopy up is diecast & plastic. The old action fleet are all plastic such as the A-wing and the Y-wing.

ships 

sh

ss
I managed to dig these out to show scale comparison. I hope they help. Some are SW minis and others are action fleet. The snowspeeder with the canopy up is diecast & plastic. The old action fleet are all plastic such as the A-wing and the Y-wing.

ships 

sh

ss

Wow! Wow! Awesome thanks. Smile
The itty bitty Tri-droid mini bothered me enough to pick up a few of of the 3 1/4 ones.

www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/search.aspx?...

When they apeared in Revenge of the Sith and Clone Wars movie they were much bigger then the minis. These ones are quite obvously meant to be "huge" not "large" as the mini is.

Take note, now they have recently come out with an even bigger one which is the correct scale for the  3 1/4 toys. That one is way too big for minis but the old one is spot on.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tie Fighters

Vaders tie  from micro machiens is pretty darn close.

www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx...

As is the A-wing and Tie intersepters. The standard Tie was much harder to find and only the model kit I posted in my last post satisfied me and that is in part because the tie pilot mini figure is so large compared to other minis.

The pocket model Tie intersepter looks good and seems cheap. It's a little small.

Youtube is helpful.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_ozHDi1GOk

The Darth Vader tie shown in the Youtube video is not the Pocket model version which should be closer to what you are looking for. For the price it's your best deal rather then trying to track down the old MicroMachiens ones.

Also shown is the Revell snap Imperal shuttle which is small but not bad as is the Revell Snap Falcon which I have a differant kit but I've heard good things about this one.

DO NOT MIX UP THE KITS. The "Revell Snap" line and "Revell Pocket Models" line both have some good and bad scale matchs. 

There is a Pocket Model Revell Falcon, X-Wing, Republic Gunship, ARC-170 Fighter which is too small. 

The Revell Pocket model Jedi, Tie, Darth, intersepters should be good. Close enough.

The Revell snap Jedi and Darth intercepters are TOO BIG but the Revell Snap Falcon, Slave I, Torrent V-19, Republic Gunship, MagnaGuard Starfighter, ARC-170, Fighter X-Wing and Y-Wing are good.

Find out all you can before you buy because it's easy to get confused.

If you buy from
www.hobbylinc.com/index.htm
Please credit me for sending you to them.    char666@hotmail.com  So i can get 5% off my next purchase.

There are other iteams in the 3 1/4 line that match minis quite nicely too. 

This really helps! As you said, it can get confusing and I should know what I am going to get ahead of time. I thank you and will for sure refer you should I buy from hobbylinc!
Sign In to post comments