Boons - How does LFR handle?

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
How does LFR handle Boons?

Can you buy them as if they're regular loot?

Get them as a bundle award (ie from a MYR or some thing similiar)?

Did a quick scan of the rules and couldn't find anything handling them.

You can't buy them. A very few modules provide them as bundle rewards under special circumstances, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for any particular one. You can't get them from a MYRE.

Players cannot buy them because they are from the DMG2, which is not on the list of player resources.  MYRE adventures cannot give them out because MYRE treasure is restricted to the Player's Handbook series.  The only way to get one is to have a non-MYRE adventure give one as treasure.

Show
CORE1-15 gives out a boon as treasure

I ran a module this weekend .. L3vel 14-17 at Ancon 2010... I can not remember the name but in it at the end was a BOON that the players where able to choose.

Having said this I also think that boons being purcahsed will need to be addressed as YES DMG2 is a legal sorce pere the Charecetr Generator .. once the book comes out to the public the material is allowed to be used, HOWEVER they had made stipulations on certain aspects such as 'Dragon Marks' and I see boon falling under the same stipulation.

I just wish they would say so NOW for all of us.

Roger 'Brute' GGG
I ran a module this weekend .. L3vel 14-17 at Ancon 2010... I can not remember the name but in it at the end was a BOON that the players where able to choose.

Having said this I also think that boons being purcahsed will need to be addressed as YES DMG2 is a legal sorce pere the Charecetr Generator .. once the book comes out to the public the material is allowed to be used, HOWEVER they had made stipulations on certain aspects such as 'Dragon Marks' and I see boon falling under the same stipulation.

I just wish they would say so NOW for all of us.

There's a difference between:
a) listed as "legal" in Character Builder
b) a legal "player resource" in LFR for a player to use for *purchasing* an item (as others have noted, the CCG has a list of those resources, and the DMGs, as well as Dungeon, are *not* listed)
c) a legitimate treasure bundle or other reward recevied in a module (which does *not* necssarily need to be from a "player resource"; writers can draw from other sources)

The rule is already clear:
- Boons, as they appear in a book which is not a player resource, cannot be purchased by players
- They can be awarded as adventure rewards, should the authors and LFR staff so choose
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"

Well it was stated in another group that when you place the 'LFR FILTER' for Charecter Builder in active mode and try to 'Purchase a Boon' it will not allow you to do so, it makes your PC house ruled.

So as it stands I see that version 'C'

c) a legitimate treasure bundle or other reward recevied in a module (which does *not* necssarily need to be from a "player resource"; writers can draw from other sources)

Would be in play for any module where a boon was an option and the player involved me the requirements for said boon to take effect. This would also mean that as a Judge one should write down said information for the PC and then sign off on it so there can be no question later on.

This is what I did for the one module I ran at Ancon 2010 .. it was a P2 event with a version of the Raven Queen boon? *rubs chin* need to go home and look more closely at this and I do have the players e-mail if needed to modify this 'pick' if needed.

Roger 'Brute' GGG

Roger 'Brute' GGG
Well it was stated in another group that when you place the 'LFR FILTER' for Charecter Builder in active mode and try to 'Purchase a Boon' it will not allow you to do so, it makes your PC house ruled.

So as it stands I see that version 'C'

Although, that "legal for LFR" filter in Character Builder is notoriously inaccurate.  Players would be best advised to rely on the CCG for the definitive word on what's legal and what is not legal.
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"
Okay now that we have this somwhat sorted out next question

Do boons count as 'Level Picks' or are they like rituals?
Also is there a limit to the Number of Boons a person can have?

I also will agree and like it stated.. 'Boons can not be sold' *chuckles*

Roger 'Brute' GGG

(((I do not need someone to tell me they can not be sold.. I will not allow a person to choose a boon that they qualify for and then try to 'seel it' *shakes head* a boon is non material item, thus my question as to do they count as a level pick?)))
Roger 'Brute' GGG
Do boons count as 'Level Picks' or are they like rituals?

If they're offered as a Treasure Bundle, and they aren't consumables or rituals (which are the stated exceptions to the rules), then, I'd have to believe that a boon does take up a found item slot.
Kenobi is correct. Unless otherwise specified boons take up a found item slot.
Thanks I will let the one player who qualifeied and I think took the boon know this information from the event I ran at Ancon 2010 this past weekend.

Thanks again and I will make certain to pass this information on.

Roger 'Brute' GGG
Roger 'Brute' GGG
Follow up question on Boons

Does the use an item within 4 levels above you rule apply to Boons as well or are they not items and thus in use straight away

Mechanically I can see the within 4 being sensible but the you got this boon from a god but it doesnt kick in till you level makes little sense

Calimoakheart on RPGTableOnline
All rules on magic items apply to boons.
Note -- you cannot sell a boon, and unless it says otherwise, it does not occupy a body slot.  It does count as a found magic item (unless it specifically says otherwise).

Keith
Keith Hoffman LFR Writing Director for Waterdeep
May I suggest if you are going to keep the within 5 rule that you also implement a rule that boons are only the highest available to the character when they are given

So for example if a character gains one in a P1 mod it will be the level 13 version unless the character is 14th level in which case that character gains the level 18 version

Either that or state they act straight away and add this to the cannot be sold rule exception you are already making.

Calimoakheart on RPGTableOnline
It doesn't seem that there's any need for them to scale or to have a sell value. Every single level 3 boon, for instance, is still quite good at 13th or 23rd. Further, they are never intended to be sold as an item type - in fact, by normal rules boons often disappear on their own after a set amount of time.
Keith Richmond Living Forgotten Realms Epic Writing Director