Werewolf {template}

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is just a little design I use for home-brew games, and though there are already a myriad of Werewolf races and templates available online created by other designers, I felt like sharing this template too. Just in case it peeked anyones curiosity. Unlike the traditional 4E method, this template carries penalties to compensate for the bonuses inherit of being a frenzied killing machine of man and wolf, and also eschews many of the design themes of fair balance and play. You have been warned. Enjoy!

Show
Looking for a little supernatural flair to spice up your D&D campaign? Then enter the Werewolf, a fully functional template designed to overlay a character race, and add some excitement to your game.

- This template is applied over top of your selected base race, you retain many of the factors associated with your base race, expect as listed below. Simply create your character as normal, and either at Character Creation or though the natural course of your game, apply this template over top of your finished creation, changing your sheet where applicable.

- You keep racial attribute bonuses, heights, weights, sizes and languages
- You loose speed, vision, skill bonuses, racial powers and inherit racial bonuses unless otherwise noted
- You may use all powers and abilities associated with your class, unless you are in your Wolf form; you may only make basic attacks, including Claw & Bite, while in this form

---

{{Designers Note: This is not a stand alone template, and should only be used with a GM and group capable of handling the nature of supernatural monsters; they are powerful, and they are menacing. They are also overpowered compared to the average creature. Use with caution.}}

Werewolf [template]

RACIAL TRAITS
Average Height: {same as base}
Average Weight: {same as base}

Ability Scores: {same as base}
Size: {same as base}
Speed: 7 squares/8 Squares/10 Squares
Vision: Low-Light

Languages: {base race language(s)}
Skill Bonuses: +2 Endurance, +2 Perception
Healing Factor: You regenerate 5 points of health per turn. At 11th level this bonus increases to 10 points, and again to 15 points at 21st level.
Shifting Forms: You have the At-Will racial ability, Shifting Forms
Dual Heritage: You may select Werewolf feats in addition to feats only selectable by your base race.
Bloodied Rage: Whenever you are bloodied, you gain a bonus to damage rolls equal to 2. At 11th level this damage bonus increases to 4, and again to 6 points of bonus damage at 21st level.
Lycanthropye: Your tainted blood marks you as one of the Changed, so you are considered a shapeshifter creature for the purpose of effects that relate to creature origin.
Bloodied Frenzy: Whenever you become bloodied, make a saving throw; on a success you are unaffected. If you fail the saving throw, on your following turn you must attack the nearest creature possible, and do nothing else for the remainder of your turn. You may only take actions that will allow you to attack a creature, so you may move on your turn, but only if doing so is relevant to attacking a creature. You must continue to roll saving throws until you regain your sense of self, attacking in a pain-induced rage against all creatures indiscriminately. Each time you fail your saving throw, you take a cumulative -1 penalty (to a maximum of -10) to your following rolls for this encounter in order to resist your Bloodied Frenzy.
Silvertongue: Whenever you are attacked with a silver weapon, treat all of your defenses as though they were 5 points lower then they actually are. This penalty increases to 10 points lower at 11th, and again to a 15 point penalty at 21st level. Any attacks made with a silver weapon deal extra damage; 5 points of extra damage at 1st level, 10 points of extra damage at 11th level, and 15 points of extra damage at 21st level. In addition, whenever you are damaged by a silver weapon, your Healing Factor doesn’t activate until the end of your next turn.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shifting Forms [Werewolf racial power]
At-Will
Standard Action * Personal
Effect: You shift into either your Hybrid form, or your Wolf form. Details as follows.

Hybrid: In this form you gain a +5 racial bonus to Endurance and Athletics checks, and increase your speed to 8 squares. You gain a bite attack dealing 1d6 points of damage, in which you are proficient, with a +3 attack bonus. You also gain a claw attack, dealing 1d8 points of damage, in which you are proficient, with a +3 attack bonus. These natural weapons count as maces and light blades when determining feats, powers and attacks you may use with your class abilities. You may shift back to your base form as a Standard Action.

Wolf: In this form you gain a +5 racial bonus to Perception and Stealth checks, and increase your speed to 10 squares. You gain a bite attack dealing 1d4 points of damage, in which you are proficient, with a +3 attack bonus. You also gain a claw attack, dealing 1d6 points of damage, in which you are proficient, with a +3 attack bonus. These natural weapons count as maces and light blades when determining feats, powers and attacks you may use with your class abilities.You may shift back to your base form as a Standard Action.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

HEROIC TEIR FEATS

Claw Attack [Werewolf]
Prerequisites: 1st level,
Benefit: You increase the die size of all of your Claw attacks by 1 while using your Shifting Forms racial power. In addition, you may select Constitution, Dexterity, Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma as the primary stat you use when making attack rolls with your Claw Attack.

Bite Attack [Werewolf]
Prerequisites: 1st level
Benefit: You increase the die size of all your Bite attacks by 1 while using your Shifting Forms racial power.
In addition, you may select Constitution, Dexterity, Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma as the primary stat you use when making attack rolls with your Bite Attack.

Racial Resurgence [Werewolf]

Prerequisites: Base Race
Benefit: You gain the use of your Racial Encounter Power, as applicable for your base race.

Racial Bonus [Werewolf]
Prerequisites: Base race
Benefit: You may purchase this feat multiple times and gain a one-for-one bonus from your base race, limited to specific racial bonuses, though no bonus can be purchased more then once. Racial attributes and racial skill bonuses cannot be selected through the use of this feat.

PARAGON TIER FEATS

Dark Sight [Werewolf]
Prerequisites: 11th level, Wis 13
Benefit: You gain Darkvision.

Enduring Flesh [Werewolf]
Prerequisites: 11th level, Con 15
Benefit: You may reroll any Endurance check, taking whichever result you prefer. In addition, you gain a +2 racial bonus to saving throws against ongoing damage, poisons and diseases that affect you.

EPIC TIER FEATS

Ultimate Predator [Werewolf]
Prerequisites: 21st level
Benefit: You increase your Healing Factor by 5 points, for a base bonus of 20 points healed per turn. In addition, increase your Bloodied Rage ability by 4 points, for a base bonus of 10 extra damage whenever you are bloodied.
Drawback: Increase the penalty of your Silvertongue ability by 5 points (for a base penalty of 20 points to all defenses) whenever you are attacked with a silver weapon. The damage you sustain also increases by 5 points {for a base penality of 20 extra points of damage}, whenever you are damaged by a silver weapon. In addition, whenever you are damaged by a silver weapon, your Healing Factor is suppressed unless you spend a Healing Surge as a move action on your following turns. This expenditure of a Healing Surge does not regain hit points lost as normal, nor does it count against your use of Second Wind once per encounter.

I didn't realize you intend for the character to lose his racial encounter power until he takes a feat.  How does that work with the dwarf?  Do you skill racial skill bonuses as well.  What about other racial traits Trance?

What drawback does this template have?  The silvertogue doesn't seem like much of a drawback.

Frankly, a race with continuous regeneration is not something I would generally allow.  Can you use class powers while in hybrid/wolf form?

Identical Games

D&D Published World foums at The Piazza (Dark Sun, Mystara, Spelljammer, Planescape, and more); Core Coliseum; D&D Material including my Master/Expert DM Competition entries

I dont understand why Silvertogue gets stronger as you level up, the game's +hit math remains roughly the same as you progress, unlike damage that has to scale.

By epic enemies with silver have a +25% chance to hit you, while at level 1 they have a +5% chance.

Otherwise,  this is largely overpowered compared to other races.
I've made some revisions that should help clear up some issues, please enjoy! Also, the Silvertongue weakness scales, because the Werewolf grows stronger. The higher a Werewolf is in level, the more they have grown to embrace the wolf within, and the more monstrous they become. With great power comes... great weakness{es}!

Otherwise, this is largely overpowered compared to other races.

Good catch! And my answer to this?

That's the whole point of playing a supernatural freak 'o' nature.
Otherwise, this is largely overpowered compared to other races.

Good catch! And my answer to this?

That's the whole point of playing a supernatural freak 'o' nature.

But it does make it a less attractive option for the Dm to introduce into their game.  It's always easier for a DM to add overpowering options to a more balanced class/race than it is to take them away.
It doesn't just make it a less attractive option, it takes it right off the table for most. PC options are meant to be balanced with one another, not arbitrarily better because the DM thinks it's cool.
It's always easier for a DM to add overpowering options to a more balanced class/race than it is to take them away.

I have to call you out on that one, 'cause it just ain't true. It's much easier {especially in 4E} to build a perfectly balanced character race based on the pre-set guidelines. Much easier. I have a wealth of little niche races I've created for 4E thus far, and all of them are perfectly balanced so far as they can be compared to Elves, Dwarves, Halflings or any other WotC-created race. Balance is all fine and well if that's what you want in your games, and it isn't hard to achieve in any sense of the word.

It doesn't just make it a less attractive option, it takes it right off the table for most. PC options are meant to be balanced with one another, not arbitrarily better because the DM thinks it's cool.

That's a matter of personal opinion, not a statement of arbitrary fact like you're trying to make it out to be. If you don't like the template, then more power to you {really, I don't mind at all }, this bad boy is just out here for people who want something new and fresh, and want to cause a whole lot of mayhem in their games. If that isn't to your personal tastes, then it isn't to your personal tastes. Right?

It's always easier for a DM to add overpowering options to a more balanced class/race than it is to take them away.

I have to call you out on that one, 'cause it just ain't true. It's much easier {especially in 4E} to build a perfectly balanced character race based on the pre-set guidelines. Much easier. I have a wealth of little niche races I've created for 4E thus far, and all of them are perfectly balanced so far as they can be compared to Elves, Dwarves, Halflings or any other WotC-created race. Balance is all fine and well if that's what you want in your games, and it isn't hard to achieve in any sense of the word.

You misunderstand.

I wouldn't want a Werewolf PC to be clearly better than regular other PCs.  Being bitten turned into a Lycanthrope Werewolf should not be something players like because it grants great bonuses with few real penalties.  The silver vulnerability would come up so rare as to not be much of a penalty.  It clearly just gives them more overall power.

I can think of few DMs that would use this template because of that. 

Neither do I want to take your premise and then start removing and constantly modifying everything so that it does come into line with other PC abilities so it's not obviously a superior option or obviously inferior one.  But that's more work for me when I could have just made one up from scratch myself.

I would believe that's one of the reasons why you have recieved so few comments and why most of those have suggested that it's over powered.  No DM wants to introduce clearly overpowered character options into their game, and even fewer want to rebalance some one else's homebrew material when they can homebrew from scratch themselves.  So there's very little to say.

No DM wants to introduce clearly overpowered character options into their game, and even fewer want to rebalance some one else's homebrew material when they can homebrew from scratch themselves. So there's very little to say.

You misunderstand as well: I suggest going back and reading the first few paragraphs; this template was never designed with the average group and the average Gamemaster in mind. This template is for people looking for a change of a pace, and getting some awesome perks along the way. Plain and simple - this template does not fit the standard mold, because that's not what it was designed to do. I wasn't looking for gratitude or posts of praise when I typed this all up, all I am interested in is sharing this with my fellow community. There is always going to be someone in the minority who likes junk like this, I just happen to be the type who prefers to cater to the different, rather then to the same.

That's the whole point of this template though; it ****s with the traditional 4E method and says "We want chaos! We want mayhem!" If that isn't your cup of tea, then why bother even commenting? That's like having no interest in say, politics, but still going around commenting on what everyone else thinks about politics. See what I mean there? I directly stated in my opening paragraphs that this template was overpowered, unbalanced and not meant for fair play, so you cannot just say "Oh, well this is all unfair!", when that's the entire point of this template. If you don't understand my statement here, then you don't understand, and that's fine with me.

Nobodies perfect. {light-hearted teasing}
I agree that it's a bit strong, which is alright if you plan on playing a game with more powerful PCs and enemies. But as it is, if this were put into a normal game, there'd be no real reason not to pick it, unless every enemy was armed to the teeth with silver weapons. If the template is allowed in a normal game (i.e. the enemies and other PCs aren't made stronger as well) then you run the risk of:

1. Everyone playing werewolves and getting bored when things turn out to be too easy

2. The players that aren't playing werewolves end up getting overshadowed in combat by the players that are.

First off, the regeneration is way too much for a passive ability that is always active. I'd definitely drop it down a bit.

A side note, "Silvertongued" usually refers to people who have a way with words, not people who are vulnerable to silver. I'd probably change the name to "Silver Vulnerability" or something similar to reflect this.

May want to specify what the claw and bite attacks count as. Are the weapons in either form, usable with class powers that have the weapon key word?

Perhaps make up an at-will attack power usable only with claws or fangs that is required and replaces a class at-will power and can't be retrained (or can only be retrained to a different claw/fang-only at-will power).

All in all, I'd suggest going over this again with a clear idea in mind as to what kind of setting this template would be used in and adjust it accordingly.
All in all, I'd suggest going over this again with a clear idea in mind as to what kind of setting this template would be used in and adjust it accordingly.

Already been there and done that; what you see is what you get. Playtested and all. Thanks for the suggestions though!
Sign In to post comments