Questions

91 posts / 0 new
Last post
It's been said/implied in one of the Podcasts that the Renown Points are more likely to be similar to the RPGA reward system, and not necessarily tied to what the character does. One comment in the launch 'cast (from D&DXP) was you may get some for "say producing your character sheet using Character Builder".

Beyond that we've also heard that the first reward should be earn-able by everyone after the first couple of sessions, whereas the others are due to be awarded later in the season, with only limited numbers in each kit.
Yes, but limited to 12 per kit? 6? 4? 2? That's what I am trying to find out.

This brings up another good question: can we play these events multiple times with different characters? And if so, do RP attach to the player or the character?
I am not sure how you spend your reknown points but here are some ways to earn them:

RENOWN POINT AWARDS

Many accomplishments are awarded only once per season. Check off those accomplishments as they are earned below. The amount of points earned for each accomplishment is available on the Renown Point Tracker and will be awarded by your DM.

When you earn 10 Renown Points, you receive the Delver Reward. At 30 Renown Points, you qualify for the Explorer Reward. At 50 Renown Points, you qualify for the Adventurer Reward. Check with your organizer or DM for more details.

* Complete an Encounter 1/Session

* Create a Character Builder Character

* Revive a Dying Adventurer Ally

* Hit a Milestone 2/Chapter

* Complete All Quests

* Moment of Greatness

* Survive 8+ Sessions without Dying

* Choose a Player’s Handbook 3 Race or Class

* Hit for 15+ Damage vs. 1 Enemy

* Choose a 
Player’s Handbook 3 Feat

* Kill 3 Minions in 1 Attack

Take 50 Enemy Damage in 1 Session
As an organizer where should I go to download the material in advance?  Is it already available?

"As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not let my mind wander. It's too small to go off by itself"

Danilo Thann

As an organizer where should I go to download the material in advance?  Is it already available?

If you have a game organized you can download a PDF of info about the program that has a special sheet for tracking renown points and the list the "once a season" renown points listed above. Beyond that I have seen nothing else.

It's been said/implied in one of the Podcasts that the Renown Points are more likely to be similar to the RPGA reward system, and not necessarily tied to what the character does. One comment in the launch 'cast (from D&DXP) was you may get some for "say producing your character sheet using Character Builder".

Beyond that we've also heard that the first reward should be earn-able by everyone after the first couple of sessions, whereas the others are due to be awarded later in the season, with only limited numbers in each kit.

Yes, but limited to 12 per kit? 6? 4? 2? That's what I am trying to find out.

This brings up another good question: can we play these events multiple times with different characters? And if so, do RP attach to the player or the character?

I would lean toward a PLAYER based way of tracking renown points, but there is enough character based things that it could go either way. Since the play tracker provided provides no space for either a player or character name it is hard to say.

Keep in mind we are only guessing the number of renown points eachof these items can earn you. From the materials provided so far it is implied at least some of these can earn you more than 1 renown point. How many we will not know until the materials are available. We can assume they will earn you at least 1 since I doubt anyone wants to deal with fractional points.

Each kit, from what I have read, comes with 12 low level, 8 middle level and 4 high level of the rewards. If you end up with more players earn a particular level of reward than you have cards for then you have them roll off and someone ends up with no higher level card. Everyone who qualifies is supposed to get the lowest level but even that may not work out. The rules, as written currently, could have someone getting 3 levels of rewards and some players not getting any rewards EVEN IF THEY QUALIFY FOR THE HIGHEST LEVEL.
Well that's kind of lame. Kind of makes the games a little too standoffish, IMO.

If you have a game organized you can download a PDF of info about the program that has a special sheet for tracking renown points and the list the "once a season" renown points listed above. Beyond that I have seen nothing else.

So, just to make sure I understand correctly, the pdf of the DM's adventure material for running the first session is not yet available?
Cheers,
Afet

"As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not let my mind wander. It's too small to go off by itself"

Danilo Thann

I don't think there will be a pdf of the actual adventure material.

The adventure is part of the kit which is being sent to stores, either directly from Wizards or via distributors. 

Running D&D Adventurers League events in Sheffield, UK from August. Contact me for more details.

I don't think there will be a pdf of the actual adventure material.

The adventure is part of the kit which is being sent to stores, either directly from Wizards or via distributors. 

For the Worldwide Game Days events, they've made a pdf of the adventure materials available to organizers, so that we DMs could prepare in advance; since the actual physical materials didn't arrive at the store until a few days before the event.

Cheers,

Danilo Thann

Well that's kind of lame. Kind of makes the games a little too standoffish, IMO.

Agreed.  Role Playing Games should not pit players against each other.  It goes against the entire spirit of the hobby.

Danilo Thann

Agreed.  Role Playing Games should not pit players against each other.  It goes against the entire spirit of the hobby.

It doesn't. Any more, that is, than normal participation would, anyhow.
Most of the renown point things are well within the capacity of most any first or second level PC with a normal build.

Complete an Encounter 1/Session - Just show up and play the whole 2 (or less) hours.

Hit a Milestone 2/Chapter - Again, just show up for every session, stay the whole time.

Complete All Quests - This is almost certainly something that will require team cooperation to do.

Moment of Greatness - One of the few things that is truly individual, and probably awarded through a player vote. Sort of like the old RP awards from LC, I would suspect.

Create a Character Builder Character - A reward for the older players, although it doesn't say that your PC has to be created that way from the beginning, and there is a free demo version that would work for PCs of appropriate level for this campaign.

Choose a Player’s Handbook 3 Race or Class - newly released product, an incentive to the player to buy a copy, and a boost for the location's sales...

Choose a Player’s Handbook 3 Feat - Same as above, but applicable even for non-PH3 races/classes. And some of the ones in the excerpt are pretty useful for most anyone.

Survive 8+ Sessions without Dying - Again, a reward for both coming regularly, and playing cooperatively.

Revive a Dying Adventurer Ally - Easiest for a leader, of course, but a DC 10 Heal check, to activate a fallen companion's Second Wind, is not difficult other than for someone with Heal untraned in ther dump stat, and even there it is a 50% shot.

Hit for 15+ Damage vs. 1 Enemy - Doing 15 points of damage in a single hit? A crit with a magic weapon or implement would work for most non-strikers, many strikers can reach that level with a crit without a magical weapon.

Kill 3 Minions in 1 Attack - easiest for the controller with AoEs, of course, but possible for many other classes. Barbarians with that new Howling Fury or some such, that does a blast 3 on a successful hit.

Take 50 Enemy Damage in 1 Session - Taking 50+ points of damage in a single encounter? Not much of an effort for your normal defender, especially with a halfway decent leader around to keep them alive.

I don't see much there that is PvP or encourages much except healthy competition...
We were more referring to the fact that only two players at each table of six can receive the "Adventurer" reward, even if all six players qualify for it by the end of the season, meaning the players essentially have to fight each other to be first.
We were more referring to the fact that only two players at each table of six can receive the "Adventurer" reward, even if all six players qualify for it by the end of the season, meaning the players essentially have to fight each other to be first.

Okay, I guess my attitude is from a different source than yours. I think of it just like the old Con support, where the convention gets a certain number of kits, which probably will be able to give all the attendees something, but not enough to give everyone there everything.

So, the initial card is something for everyone, while the other cards; and, personally, if enough people qualify for both of them, I would limit it to one of the two cards per person; are the incentive for trying to play the whole season.

Okay, I guess my attitude is from a different source than yours. I think of it just like the old Con support, where the convention gets a certain number of kits, which probably will be able to give all the attendees something, but not enough to give everyone there everything.

So, the initial card is something for everyone, while the other cards; and, personally, if enough people qualify for both of them, I would limit it to one of the two cards per person; are the incentive for trying to play the whole season.

1) This isn't a convention. This is a weekly event run at the FLGS. It's meant to be fully accessible to any and all who wish to participate. Why should the rewards be any different?

2) I plan on playing this with a group of five of my friends every week at the same table. We each will have put in the same time and effort, so why should four of us get the shaft? We shouldn't feel like we're "taking food out of the other's mouths" by receiving the award. That's neither fair nor fun.

1) This isn't a convention. This is a weekly event run at the FLGS. It's meant to be fully accessible to any and all who wish to participate. Why should the rewards be any different?

2) I plan on playing this with a group of five of my friends every week at the same table. We each will have put in the same time and effort, so why should four of us get the shaft? We shouldn't feel like we're "taking food out of the other's mouths" by receiving the award. That's neither fair nor fun.

Describing the above to some of the local LFR players it leaves them scratching their head.

As an organizer & DM I am becoming frustrated with the program. I am stuck playing on Wednesdays, may not have enough of the 'everybody gets it' reward to hand out, no promo materials less than 2 weeks before it starts and no mod to make sure I have minis for any combat. I am not complaining about maps because I think they (or at least some) are included but I am not certain. I have yet to hear anything about how to handle the social media aspect - what if none of the DMs or organizers have access to twitter or facebook? What about current RPGA reward cards? Why isn't there an official WotC person checking this forum and handing out answers?

Even with all the problems I think DDE is a GREAT idea for those who are really time strapped and want to play some D&D. If a consistent message on the day of the week it can be run was presented from the get go I do not think people would be complaining as much as we are, and the rest can be worked out for season 2.
While minis are a nice touch, there will be tokens included in the kit to represent NPCs (and I assume PCs as well).

So you'll have enough materials to run the event. 

I don't know about you, but I also got a notice via e-mail yesterday indicating that the DDE kits have shipped and that (being in the USA) it should arrive in my FLGS on Monday.
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

While minis are a nice touch, there will be tokens included in the kit to represent NPCs (and I assume PCs as well).

So you'll have enough materials to run the event. 

I don't know about you, but I also got a notice via e-mail yesterday indicating that the DDE kits have shipped and that (being in the USA) it should arrive in my FLGS on Monday.

I prefer to use minis when I can- easier for everyone to know what is what .

I have not checked my email in a few days - life has just gotten in the way. I still find it odd that we got the marketing material for game day already yet we have not gotten anything for this new program. I realize the poster also is used to track renown points, but at least they could have sent out some of the 1/4 sheet cards to put out at the register. Again - great program idea but with a week or so's notice drawing people in on day one will be tougher than it need be.
Is there any specifics on when (what time on Wednesdays) the online updates will be posting? You know the stuff that was rumored to be coming out via Facebook or Twitter.
I have gone through alot to make sure that my FLGS understood that I absolutely needed internet access during DDE & have managed to work out the details on our end.

Now if WotC would just get coordinated enough to fill us in on the rest of what we need to know about this...

Does anyone have the rest of the details on this?
Links that I find very useful, will be added here. http://community.wizards.com/vinciente/blog/2010/02/24/useful_damp;d_pageslinks
Having scanned through this thread, I see the following questions I'm going to be passing along to WotC - if there's something larger I missed that hasn't already been answered elsewhere, let me know so I can either try to answer it myself, or pass it along Monday afternoon (EST).

1)  Can players have more than one character (if, say, they get bored of character #1) - if so, what happens to renown points? xp? Magic Items/treasure? 

2)  Are RPGA Rewards cards permitted in D&D Encounters Play?

3) Can we get some more information about Renown Points?  How to earn them?  How many are available in a session?  What can they be "used" for (or are they only for rewards cards?)

4) How will the social media aspect(s) work? 
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Having scanned through this thread, I see the following questions I'm going to be passing along to WotC - if there's something larger I missed that hasn't already been answered elsewhere, let me know so I can either try to answer it myself, or pass it along Monday afternoon (EST).

1)  Can players have more than one character (if, say, they get bored of character #1) - if so, what happens to renown points? xp? Magic Items/treasure? 

2)  Are RPGA Rewards cards permitted in D&D Encounters Play?

3) Can we get some more information about Renown Points?  How to earn them?  How many are available in a session?  What can they be "used" for (or are they only for rewards cards?)

4) How will the social media aspect(s) work? 

As organizer & DM #4 is of particular importance. I have accounts on twitter & facebook, but I do not really use either. If I need to be tracking those I will need to figure out a way to carve out those updates from the other crap stuff. Although I was hoping to play sometimes I may end up being the only DM.
I passed these questions along to Trevor (and broke them down into deeper sub-questions as well) and he was going to get as many of the assorted questions answered as he could.

I have to once again say I am extremely disappointed with the decision to include only limited quantities of the Explorer and Adventurer reward cards in D&D Encounters. In effect, you are punishing players who don't completely munchkin out the Renown system. I would highly suggest you distribute the Rewards cards in downloadable format so that everyone who earns the requisite points can receive the appropriate rewards.

We do not need to bring the RPGA back to the days of pitting the "haves" against the "have-nots". At this point, not only will I not participate, but I will also be steering other players away from D&D Encounters. This type of playstyle is abusive to new players and is highly inappropriate as the flagship for the RPGA and the D&D brand in general.
Easy question: what are the pregens, race and class wise?
Shaman: "Why doesn't the squirrel shoot the wizard?" DM: "Because the last squirrel who tried to shoot the wizard missed, then was pulled out of his tree and incinerated." Wizard: "He has a point."

* Tiefling Psion
* Drow Warlock
* Githzerai Monk
* Half-Elf Cleric
* Human Paladin
* Elf Ranger

* Tiefling Psion
* Drow Warlock
* Githzerai Monk
* Half-Elf Cleric
* Human Paladin
* Elf Ranger

That's great, thanks. My friends will love these!
Shaman: "Why doesn't the squirrel shoot the wizard?" DM: "Because the last squirrel who tried to shoot the wizard missed, then was pulled out of his tree and incinerated." Wizard: "He has a point."
PCs can gear up between chapter 2 and 3; they'll have (probably gained) 80 gp each, which is enough for something like a potion but not for a permanent item. However...

...if the PCs want to pool that money to get a permanent item - they'd probably be able to afford a level 1 item (360 gp) or even a level 2 item (520 gp) if they're a larger-than-normal group or had some funds left over from character creation - is that allowed under the Encounters rules?

I don't see anything prohibiting it so I'm inclined to assume that they can, but I don't know if that breaks any underlying assumptions of these events.
Is it too late to get a kit?
I have to once again say I am extremely disappointed with the decision to include only limited quantities of the Explorer and Adventurer reward cards in D&D Encounters. In effect, you are punishing players who don't completely munchkin out the Renown system. I would highly suggest you distribute the Rewards cards in downloadable format so that everyone who earns the requisite points can receive the appropriate rewards.

We do not need to bring the RPGA back to the days of pitting the "haves" against the "have-nots". At this point, not only will I not participate, but I will also be steering other players away from D&D Encounters. This type of playstyle is abusive to new players and is highly inappropriate as the flagship for the RPGA and the D&D brand in general.

I don't think I understand. Just showing up each week and making sure you hit each milestone with the same character gives you 48 points.  That doesn't take munchkin thinking.  2 more points from just playing and hitting whatever achievement matches your role and you're golden. Then it's just a roll off or whatever at the end for the awards.  And that's without the gimmie stuff like PHB3 & CB awards.

Sure, you could qualify early, but it's not like the first person gets their pick, the get to wait and see like everyone else.
Is it too late to get a kit?

Best to ask Customer Serivce and/or your WPN rep.

I'd start with Customer Service, myself. 

I don't think I understand. Just showing up each week and making sure you hit each milestone with the same character gives you 48 points.  

So, I'm not good with math, but this post caught my eye, and I verified what you're saying.

Because that *does* sound awfully easy, I asked Chris Tulach about the results and to see if this is what he had in mind when designing the point system (and again - remember that this is the first season, everyone, feedback and participation may well tweak the system going forward).

Chris let me know that the reward for completing an encounter is deliberately left a little vauge so that organizers can award points as they see fit - however successful completions is what would ideally get points.  So, if your party drops the ball and gets a TPK - the organizer of the event has to make a judgement call on whether or not the 3 points goes out that night.

For me, organizing at my local store?  That's going to depend then on a few factors.  Did the party TPK because my DM dice were "hot" while their dice were "cold" all night (and some behind-the-screen fudging didn't/couldn't help?).  I'm probably still going to awared the "completion" bonus.  Things happen, no need to make a "bad" night worse.

On the other hand - did the TPK happen because the players weren't working together (I'm not talking about one person throwing things off, I'm talking about the table as a whole)?  They probably won't get the points for that night.

Since points are in the control of the organizer, while a die-hard player will still (almost) certainly earn the 50 points they need - I'm not so sure it's a fully safe bet.  Not if some of the concerns I hear in another thread hold true about some of these encounters being really tough (I know there's a couple I have my eye on that I expect to kill at least one PC with).

Ultimately?  We'll see how things pan out, and in future seasons I'm sure WotC will make adjustments.  

I, for one, look forward to hearing how the season is progressing at all the locations worldwide.   

I don't think I understand. Just showing up each week and making sure you hit each milestone with the same character gives you 48 points.  That doesn't take munchkin thinking.  2 more points from just playing and hitting whatever achievement matches your role and you're golden. Then it's just a roll off or whatever at the end for the awards.  And that's without the gimmie stuff like PHB3 & CB awards.

Sure, you could qualify early, but it's not like the first person gets their pick, the get to wait and see like everyone else.

****. Rolling. Off.

This is one step forward and about ten steps back.
****. Rolling. Off.

This is one step forward and about ten steps back.

i agree.  they should have supplied enough for everyone who earns it.  i'm thinking about having extras made so that everyone who earns one gets one.
re: Limited Reward Cards

In the store I run D&D Encounters in, the owner was excited to use the Renown tracking poster and the fact there were a limited number of Reward Cards. He felt it encouraged competition and made the program more interesting. I felt the complete opposite and not only did I not want to track Renown points but I gave the Delver Award to everyone that attended the first session -- regardless of how many Renown points they had earned to that point.

I think his reaction was what Wizards had intended and it reminded me of a Magic the Gathering tournament. . .which is the "bread and butter" of a most game store retailer's business. D&D is not a steady revenue generator for game stores, M:tG is. By making the D&D Encounters program appear similar to a M:tG tournament Wizard is probably hoping the retailers make room for it after seeing dollar signs in their eyes.

My feeling is that D&D is (supposed to be) a cooperative game and that the DM should encourage people to work together -- as a team -- instead of trying to maximize their "points" to earn "phat lewt."  I can understand his desire to Renown points and I will do so but. . .

I intend to distribute them throughout the season, a few cards at the end of each chapter and I will let the players decide who gets them -- not Reknown points.
I would request that you make it clear to your players that you intend to deviate from the program setup.

Remember - players may be hearing about the way it's supposed to be run and might find your deviations odd if they aren't explained in full.

The other side of the coin is that they may *not* know the planned system, and if they discuss encounters elsewhere or play elsewhere and find the system to be different, it could cause confusion.

Lastly, I'd make sure the Organizer is aware of the changes (if you're the organizer, no big deal, if it's the store owner, it's always wise to verify).

If everyone is on-board with the changes, then go for it! 

i agree.  they should have supplied enough for everyone who earns it.  i'm thinking about having extras made so that everyone who earns one gets one.

If you end up making your own (and beware that there are copyright issues involved here) make sure the recipients know that they may not be accepted at other locations.  For example, I believe GenCon (and maybe Origins) will have D&D Encounters sessions (not really SURE in either case, but I think it's an option that's on the table for both).

I know that if I were GMing a convention and someone walked up with a printout of a card, I wouldn't allow it at the table.  Yeah, I'm a stickler for rules, but them's the breaks.

So, let me play Devil's Advocate for a moment.

I think what bugs me about the option of "Put Adventurer Cards in the kits for ALL the players" is that, players who don't earn them will end up with them at many locations.  

Let's say someone shows up for Chapter 3 but not Chapters 1 and 2.  They get (maybe) 30 points.  The Organizer has 2-3 Adventurer cards left laying around, and decides to just hand them out to everyone.

Now, admittedly, this isn't a game breaking tool - but if I were the player who showed up EVERY week and earned the 50+ points for that card, only to watch it being handed out "because there's extras" - I'd be a little let-down that the reward I had to "work for" is being treated with such little regard.  I can only speak for myself and say I'd rather have to find a way to compromise and agree on if I get that card or if the guy across the table gets it, than to see extras go out "just because".

That's before I even take into consideration organizers who would order extra kits just to get the cards, and then turn around and E-bay them just because they now have so many of them.

Just a potential view from the other side of the fence.

That's called punishing the honest players to try to prevent cheating, when the dishonest players will find a way to cheat anyways.

I actually find that viewpoint quite offensive, as it all but requires the assumption that the membership is a bunch of cheaters, liars, and thieves.

I had thought the RPGA had gotten over that.
That's called punishing the honest players to try to prevent cheating, when the dishonest players will find a way to cheat anyways.

I actually find that viewpoint quite offensive, as it all but requires the assumption that the membership is a bunch of cheaters, liars, and thieves.

I had thought the RPGA had gotten over that.

Aside from the people who ARE dishonest and WILL ebay cards (it's a shame, but it happens) - at no point do I accuse anyone of cheating.

What I accuse organizers of doing is taking the path of least resistance and handing out cards because they have them.  I've seen it happen with other organized play games in the past.  "Well, the tournament says to only give these cards out to the top "x" players, but I ordered two kits, so here, everyone gets one!"

It's human nature (and good business in the case of a store owner) to want to hand out "extra" supplies to make customers happy - especially if the alternative is to throw them away.

Where you see honest players being punished, I see a system designed to keep some cards at a given rarity level - and with that making them hard to earn.  It's also a system where one QUALIFIES for those cards at a certain point.

The problem is that people are assuming that qualifying = (or should = ) getting the card. 

In my FLGS, I'm going to give the cards to the highest-scoring qualifiers, and use attendance as a tiebreaker if needed.  And I've been clear with my players about that, and they're cool with it.

What I accuse organizers of doing is taking the path of least resistance and handing out cards because they have them.  I've seen it happen with other organized play games in the past.  "Well, the tournament says to only give these cards out to the top "x" players, but I ordered two kits, so here, everyone gets one!"

Yeah, have you actually seen that happen (in D&D Encounters), or are you just assuming that game store owners are stupid and/or can't follow rules?

Plus, these aren't generic reward cards; simply include a space for a judge to sign off that the player received the 50 renown. If the player gets it signed without deserving it, well then we get back to the punishing of honest players for the actions of a dishonest few.

The 50 RP requirement already will generate a level of rarity for the card. We don't need to generate artificial rarity by also adding a random number generator while creating a system which allows dishonest DM's to play favorites.

Player empowerment is how you gain and retain new members, not by waving a shiny reward in front of their face and then telling them they can't have it because they "didn't roll well enough".
Sign In to post comments