Gamer by Night, _______ by Day?

57 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm a 40yr old Science teacher in a prestigious private school here in Sydney. I have a Degree in Biology and and a Masters in Education. I am involved in a number of programs with education, such as Tournament of Minds, liaising with University school programs and patron for one of school "houses" (a little like the ones found at Hogwart's for the uninitiated).

I'm married to a current non-gamer (she has played in the past) who happens to be a craft-olic. She also loves literature, sci-fi and fantasy. She still battles to get me to play boardgames. Kids are planned down the track and we both dabble in the property market.

I closet away my gaming habit from most of those I work with, although some of my closer colleagues know I game. I throw elements of gaming into my lessons where I can which appeals to the dramatic leanings of a number my students. My students don't know I game as it doesn't really seem to enter their social mindset although they do know I'm a geek and kind of like it (one got me Star Wars lego last Xmas).
UTC +10 (UTC +11 from October-March) I know what "bree-yark" really means. Fear my wrath!
I'm a student full time and I work for a state program where I help Autistic kids with their therapies and other needs.  It's flexible, with one kid I actually get paid to take him to DnD games where we both play which needless to says rocks.  My wife has been playing DnD with me for about a year now also and is about to take on the reigns of dming as well.
Hmm so if I now claimed I live in my parents basement and am unemployed, financing my D&D addiction by being a volunteer for medical testing (psychoactive drugs), that would not be believable anymore? Dang.

You are Dutch. The moment you use "basement" and living in one sentence made it somewhat unbelievable ;) (Yeah, I know they do exist, but still...)

I am a software engineer for a large European IT company, although in practice, I have been working almost exclusively for a large Dutch mobilephone company being the incident, problem and changemanager for various software applications involved in getting the bills to the customers. Of course, I probably could also call me a parttime D&D developer considering the time I spend on it and the fact that on occassion I do get a paycheck from Wizards  ;)

My collegues know about my hobby. First of all, I need to tell any secondary income to my boss (to make sure there is no conflict of interest) and secondly, traveling to the States at least twice per year does tend to draw some attention. Most are curious about the game and a few have been poking me to run a trial sesssion sometime during work hours as the next team trip. Note that with the proper wording it can also look great at a resume, after all, I am managing small groups of people as a DM, I am heavily involved with people all over the globe and in my case I edit English texts (although admittedly not perfectly). D&D also does not have the same bad reputation here as it apparently has in the States. Most people don't fully understand what it is, which is something that gives you something to talk about at a job interview and which sets you apart from the rest (just make sure you do in a positive manner by impressing the useful skills you use in a game).

I have been a U.S. federal employee for 9 years, married for 5 years (no kids), living in a home with my wife (ie: mortgage) for 4 years, and most of the people I game with do not meet the original poster's stated 'clique' of the media-presented RPG gamer, except for perhaps the younger players new to the game.

As was mentioned earlier, the people who respond to this will probably not be confirming the stereotype.  However, I have been playing, DMing, and organizing events and conventions for RPGA for quite a while (back to the Living City days), and think this is more of the rule rather than the exception.  As gamers get older, the odds that they have 'moved on' in their lives will have increased.

Not to say I don't know a gamer here or there that has that stereotype.  I just think they are few and far between...which could possibly be said for many hobbies with large, varied memberships.

Hi, frequently Unemployed Machinist, here. Yes, I have made lots of metal dice.

D&D for a long time. I have also seen other gamers across the career board. IT/Software guys seem common though for some reason!
IT/Software guys seem common though for some reason!

That's because we're geeks by trade.  ;)
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf

This thread makes me feel a bit guilty. I'm a doctor, (GP - even on the national executive medical committee) but I'm not good at telling people I play D&D.

Been playing over thirty years, no question that D&D helped make me LESS geeky, and what I've learnt in handling small groups as a DM has helped a lot when chairing meetings.

Not sure it's helped that much in medicine directly, though the gamer ability to memorize multiple books verbatim has been hellish useful at medical school and continuing education:-)

(Though to stick with the IT stereotype I was a Fortran 77 coder to make money to get through med school.)

I am a contractor for the government teaching computer applications.
Technology Education teacher, 27 years, materials processing lab now, after teaching drafting for 21 years or so. Also have wrked a number of part-time jobs, local retail, golf courses and now Dick's Sporting Goods. Married 20 years this June, 2 step-kids, one grand-kid.

Gaming since summer of '80, played since 1E. Started RPGA in late 2000 or so with LG. Greyhawk is my world of choice. Former LG Keoland Triad who did interactives, special missions, conventio support and eventually plots and scenarios as well. Now Cormyr Event Manager. Also organizer for Regulator Con in Gettysburg, PA.

Oh, and I make a mean lasagna.

Dave Guerrieri

I am posting some of our local play circle:

University Professor
Project Manager at a University
Security Guard
QA for a Software Developer
Fast food
Unemployed x4 

Unemployed x4 

Several in our circle have that occupation as well...

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Let me see

Married for 8 1/2 years (non-gamer - like Teos said - helps keep me grounded)
Two kids (girl 6 going on 16 and 2 year old boy multiclassed into demonspawn)
One cat (psycho on speed)
2 1/2 decades of gaming (ya that's depressing)
Own my own home (and one rocking den/gaming room)
Technologies and Accounting for a departement at Goodyear Tire and Rubber
Currently back in school (and man most 18 year olds are dumb - I don't miss being that dumb and not realizing it)
Owner of Baldman Games (www.baldmangames.com)

Joined RPGA in 2000, LG Veluna Triad 2000, LG Circle of Six 2001, and since 2004 to present - RPGA Senior GM for Origins and Gencon and Senior GM/Coordinator of D&D Experience.

I guess since my name is in some books and I've written a crap ton of adventures (some well loved and hated all at the same time) I get to be a designer/developer as well. Cool another hat.

Some at my work know what I do on the side but most just don't get it (even at 38 I'm just about the youngest in my department - lots of  grandma's here).

My hobby has grown into a business and has sent me all around the world. I cannot complain about my life even if I tried.

Dave C
Bald wearer of many hats

Unemployed x4 

I love unenjoyment.

IT/Software guys seem common though for some reason!

That's because we're geeks by trade.  ;)

Well I guess I am not part of the new norm either.

Just about 39.
Father of a newborn daughter(3 months this week.)
Married late, only 4 years - non-gamer but I am trying to change that.
Gamer since 1st Edition and lucky to live in Indiana for travel to Gencon and Winter Fantasy (DDXP).
Investment Manager/Advisor for closer to 2 decades than 1.  (Lucky enough to be in a group confortable to discuss the taboos:  religion, politics, and sex on a daily basis.)
Rock climbing instructor (how I met my wife.)
Mortgage owner.
Active volunteer.
No pets, unless you count me feeding squirrels in my tree.
Travel goal to see every current, past, and future 7 wonders of the world. (Seen 6 so far.)

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate. "Abandon all hope ye who enter here." A child of 5 could understand this, someone bring me a child of 5.
No pets, unless you count me feeding squirrels in my tree.

Do you feed them like this?

Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf

Do you feed them like this?

Doesn't everybody?

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).