Dark Times Pleasant Surprises

With all the other talk going on lately, the release of the new set has been on the backburner, it seems.  So, what have you found to be the most pleasant surprise now that we have DT in hand?  I would encourage positive experiences as we have enough bad going around.  Let's take advantage of what we have and enjoy.

I've only played a few fun games (dump the booster and play all 7 pieces) so haven't seen all the synergy in action, but have liked a few pieces more than I thought when stats were leaked:

Jedi Watchman - the Cloaked ability really makes this one playable.  Certainly not a power player in a squad, but great support.  You can force the enemy to come to you while sitting in cover, then double attack.  With Cloaked, you can also move him around the shooters and go engage other Force users to take full advantage of the Duelist.  And the fact we have a cool looking Common with a lightsaber for custom work is a bonus (Younglings are too small for a lot of customs).

Major Veers - that extra movement is really nice to get pieces into position.  One game I was able to advance my Elite Trandoshan Merc four squares after being missed twice and ended up adjacent to another piece for the start of the next round.  The movement is not just for retreating. lol  More than once I was able to dodge a twin attack as well and live to fight another round.  We have other movement breakers, but this one can occur at very advantageous times and really change things for the next round especially if you are outactivated.  No longer just a sitting duck waiting for initiative, you can do a bit of positioning and take advantage of your opponent's bad rolls.

Dengar - thought he would be solid, and not disappointed.  I'm looking forward to running him on a Desert Skiff sometime and zip across the board to pick off an unsuspecting commander.  A lot of points and effort, but I think it would be fun to see.

Pulse Cannon - wow, this is a great ability and can really mess with strategy.  Solid piece in IG88 to have an ability like this.  I don't think it is too powerful, but with a missed save can change the complexity of a piece in a hurry - really forces you to watch position of pieces especially to avoid 10 HP adjacents.

Bounty Hunters - I like the attack values and ability options overall on the latest batch.  Not too powerful (low attacks against non-uniques) but can come through when you need them.  If the shot is not quite the match-up you want. there are other options and the higher defenses and HP keep them in the game for a few extra rounds.

Overall, a fun set with lots of things to explore and experiment.  What are your feelings?
I put my gungan bounty hunters with a talz chieftain. That went down quite well. They basically became super effective at taking out grunts, and were a respectable 9pt nuicance for my opponent's main beatsticks. I also think they look really cool.
I had a blast at the sealed with this set over the weekend.

I set up a big Pulse Cannon shot on 4!!! guys and then my opponent made all 4 saves. Then the next round IG got hit with a Stun Mortar and failed his. So the dice weren't so friendly but the interactions were cool.

The best part came later when Faris (Beuhher? Beuhler?) tried his Dark whatever and betrayed to my squad. Then I did the same thing back and also missed the save. But then I immediately hit him with a Turn To The Dark Side (or whatever it's called) and he failed that save too. So he ended up switching 3 times and was my last piece even though he didn't start on my squad. Really entertaining finish.
Most of the bounty hunters for me, before I hardly played BH's except boba fett and the droid BH's on a sep team, now I think I will be playing them more,I think dengar hired killer is my favorite.
looking forward to playing him on a imperial team. 
Having partaken minimally of the spoilers, seeing all the new Special Abilities, Commander Effects, and/or Force Powers was cool.  This set isn't a rehash of prior sets.  Hopefully MotF brings us more.  Plus we got a lot of new characters with a small amount of redone figs.  The lack of some of the very iconic figures is a plus and minus -- good that us long-timers don't get more of the same figures every set, but also an issue for newer players/buyers getting into the game.

SWMiniverse podcast #11 at www.swminiverse.com releases today where Mark and I discuss the set further and also cover our other segments.

www.SaveSWM.proboards.com
The new Dengar is just brilliant. final shot is a great ability against those mid range commanders and the piece's stats live up to his name. Dengar BH was a huge disappointment i thought. IG88.. brilliant too. we'll fit nicely into any droid army, but is also good as a shiper against those force users.
With all the other talk going on lately, the release of the new set has been on the backburner, it seems.  So, what have you found to be the most pleasant surprise now that we have DT in hand?  I would encourage positive experiences as we have enough bad going around.  Let's take advantage of what we have and enjoy.

I've only played a few fun games (dump the booster and play all 7 pieces) so haven't seen all the synergy in action, but have liked a few pieces more than I thought when stats were leaked:

Jedi Watchman - the Cloaked ability really makes this one playable.  Certainly not a power player in a squad, but great support.  You can force the enemy to come to you while sitting in cover, then double attack.  With Cloaked, you can also move him around the shooters and go engage other Force users to take full advantage of the Duelist.  And the fact we have a cool looking Common with a lightsaber for custom work is a bonus (Younglings are too small for a lot of customs).

Yeah, I think the Watchman is a fantastic common.  Awesome looking piece with good stats. 

As for other pleasant surprises:

The large number of new Force Powers and Special Abilities.  I just love stuff like Dark Temptation, Dispassionate Killer, Turn to the Darkside and Snare Rifle.  Those add SW flavor to the game while keeping the game itself interesting. 

I really like the sculpt for Merumeru.  Looks fantastic.  I may not be a huge fan of the stats, but I know Merumeru will look good next to the other SWM Wookiees.

Also, I'm a big fan of the Rodian Raider.  A 3 point, medium-based swapper with Stable Footing is always welcome.  The other Rodian is fun too.  Probably best used with the Rebels or NR (swapping squads would work too). 
I have to agree with you on Merumeru, although I do like his stats. Had a game with him the afternoon he was delivered, and he pretty much demolished half the opposing squad. Maybe that's just bad playing from the other squad...

I liked Bravado, that was a fun addition. And dispassionate killer is a good one too.