Making Non-Humans Truly Inhuman

99 posts / 0 new
Last post
     Over on a thread about thri-kreen Kaldric got me thinking with the following comment:

56760228 wrote:
I think I'll do that for my next game. Pick whatever race you want. It looks human. Heck, they already all act human anyway.

Now, I know that this obviously varies from campaign to campaign and from player to player, but for the purposes of this thread I'd like to operate under the assumption that this is the case.  Dwarves are just stern humans, elves are just wise humans, halflings are just human children with ADHD, etc.  It's the flattest kind of racial caricature, and I'd like this thread to be a nail in its coffin.

What are the genuine differences among the races?  Anything from sweeping societal mores to ancient customs to superstitions to common personal idiosyncracies.  Does this race view the world through a dramatically different lens from ours?  Do they have a fundamentally different perspective on fundamental issues like death, justice, or beauty?

The film Lost in Translation is an excellent example of how very different (and oddly commingled) two human societies can be; how much more amazing, then, should the society of a far-flung feyspire be from our own?  Shouldn't living for centuries impart at least a slightly different view of death than 'same as us, but it takes longer'?  Heck, if the fancy really strikes you, give us some details of how an in-setting society of humans should differ from the generally contemporary western (if 'renaissance faire-ish') culture that's often seen as the baseline.

Obviously, we aren't building a new canon here, and our ideas don't have to gel.  If the post above you says that orcs like cotton candy and your idea is that they abhor cotton candy with murderous fury, go ahead and post.  One idea will appeal to some, the other will appeal to others.

I guess I'll kick it off in the manner of a 1001 thread:

1. Thri-kreen have a thoroughly literal sense of time which borders upon the sacrosanct.  To them it is more fundamental and pervasive an element than water, air, fire, or earth, and is thus deserving of the highest reverence.

While a thri-kreen will calmly wait years or even decades for an event to occur at an unknown time, they typically have no patience whatsoever for tardiness.  If a time has been given and not honored, violation of that promise is a serious offense both to the waiting party and, in a sense, to time itself.  Time is a gift, a currency which can only be misspent if it is not spent at all.  To wait is a kind of reverent meditation, but to wait in vain is akin to sacrilege.

Though no explicitly religious philosophies follow from this sacred sense of time, the mystical respect for its passage engenders an affinity for time pieces.  Even the most ascetic of desert-dwelling kreen will establish an unmarked sundial by which to follow time's march, and those more acclimated to civilisation may have collections of clocks and watches of all types.
(I employ zie/zie/zir as a gender-neutral counterpart to he/him/his. Just a heads-up.) Essentials definitely isn't for me as a player, and I feel that its design and implementation bear serious flaws which fill me with concern for the future of D&D, but I've come to the conclusion that it isn't going to destroy the game that I want to play. Indeed, I think that I could probably run a game for players using Essentials characters without it being much of a problem at all. Time will tell, I suppose.
This is an excellent idea!

2. In their day-to-day social interactions, Eladrin are self-assured and confident... and also very private. This manifests as a strong unwillingness to get involved in other people's business to an extreme degree. The Eladrin view is that an offer of help is something one only does to a child, or to someone incapabable of taking care of him or her self. To the other races, Eladrin seem aloof and cold, even uncaring. From the Eladrin perspective, this is a sign of respect.
3. Gnomish rationale is something even the Eladrin can't comprehend. Forever fussing and fidgeting with things, a gnome will move something to a "better" spot. Why a gnome would think that such a place is better is anyone's guess. A crystal ball that you once had sitting on your table is now on a windowsill "because it's a better place for it." You might think having your armor on its stand in your quarters is perfectly logical, but when you wake, a gnome has moved it, say, to the hallway.

Gnomish names are not permanent. A gnome will go by whatever name sounds good at the moment. As soon as he or she hears something "better", their name changes to that. In the morning you may be talking to Fernwistle, but my mid afternoon, he no longer answers to that name because he's now changed it to Kettle or something else that just sounds "better".

Gnomes are also known to take things apart and put them back together in a "better" way. The item may no longer work, but as far as the gnome is concerned, it's now somehow "better".
@Shiftkitty: That's awesome. I'll be stealing that for the gnome NPC in my current campaign. Wink

4. Eladrin and drow don't sleep. Everyone knows this, of course, but most people don't appreciate just how bizarre the concept of sleep seems to members of these races. During Trance, one's mind wanders the Feywild, but these 'dream' journeys are fully lucid, not too dissimilar from how such a journey would feel while awake and corporeal. Dreaming, as members of other races do, is quite a foreign concept.

Most eladrin find unconsciousness utterly terrifying. This strange state of being... not there is not something the eladrin mind is equipped to deal with. It can't even be said to resemble death, for at least the departing soul of a dead eladrin is still self-aware as it journeys to the Shadowfell and then Beyond. It's like death would be if your very soul was also destroyed. And true dreaming, random and uncontrolled and nonsensical (not even following the odd 'rules' of the Feywild, which are not so odd to an eladrin, after all) is likewise a profoundly unsettling experience. Eladrin never lose control of their minds' wanderings (even the apparent insanity of some of the most ancient noble eladrin is, fundamentally, a personal choice to appear insane) so being unable to control where one goes and what one experiences in a dream is like being possessed by some malevolent force. Most eladrin who experience true unconsciousness are deeply traumatised by the experience.

Drow, on the other hand, view unconsciousness and dreaming as pleasurable, but dangerous and addictive. The soporific poison drow use to coat their weapons actually originated as a drug used to achieve true sleep for recreational purposes. The experience of unconsciousness, and especially true dreaming, fascinates and excites them, for it offers a temporary escape from the hellish stress of living in drow society, yet it leaves a drow utterly vulnerable to his or her enemies. Even the rumour that a drow has succumbed to an addiction to true sleep invites kidnap or assassination by rivals.

"My flying carpet is full of elves."

5. Halflings don't marry. It may not seem that important at first, and the child is often raised by his mother before going to apprenticeship at six or seven, but it's an integral part of their community lives. To them, the idea of spending their whole life in a place with the same person is tantamount to a social prison, and it disturbs them that other races would put that much importance into family or bloodlines when such things are not important compared to the community or to individual pleasure. Their civil unions are always limited in time, either to conceive a child or for a temporary alliance. No halfling will ever get in a situation where he is bound to someone else for an unknown duration, not willingly anyway.
@ Duskweaver:  I love how you've used the Trance (which is presumabely an ancestral trait that Elves have lost) and established in different ways to accomodate the worldviews of Drow and Eladrin.  I'm tempted to play a Drow (a race I normally don't play) just to experiment with that (or, conversely, an Eladrin that is truly deranged from an unconscious experience, behaving almost like a serious Drow addict would, but with that uncontrolled mental state infringing upon the character's conscious mind). 

@Shiftykitty:  +2 on the Gnome names

6.  A Shifter's moral compass has reverted to a primeval, pre-sentience state with regard to killing for food.  For all intents and purposes, they are predators.  Even when other humanoids practice cannibalism, it always takes on some higher meaning (ingest an opponent's life-force, etc.).  This concept is utterly foreign to Shifters; killing and eating a humanoid race is just part of survival.  In fact, humanoids are often easier prey than many other animals, and in many cases may be preferred.  This is largely because Shifters don't attach any special relevance to intelligence - it's merely an adaptation that the humanoid races have which has made them immensely successful, just like a bird's wings or a viper's venom.  One notable point is that Shifters view trophy hunting as abhorrent.  A man that kills a powerful bull moose just to mount its head upon his cabin wall kills only to satiate his ego, and conceptions of superiority annoy Shifters.  They all know that somewhere out there is a being powerful enough to make them prey, and they live their lives with the thought of avoiding such a fate.  Just as they kill casually, they realize that others may do the same to them. 

Because of this, most Shifters don't assimilate into the towns and cities of other races.  This isn't because they're feared by others (which they often are), but rather because they don't wish to conform to a way of life that suppresses their predatory instincts.  Most stay away from cities because they know they can't hunt near them.  They aren't stupid, and are well aware that killing citizens may result in them being hunted down and executed.  They will often accept members of other races into their "packs," or even join a small group as the only Shifter (as is the case in adventuring parties).  Shifters that do reside in settlements are often "omega" individuals, low ranking in their own societies and less efficient at hunting on their own.  Thus, they come to cities mostly for protection, and are typically only mildly distrusted (they know that violating laws will end their advantageous membership in society, and almost become "domesticated" in a sense).  In more tyrannical cities they often take jobs as prison guards and executioners, as they are allowed to make meals of those who commit serious crimes.
> In fact, humanoids are often easier prey than many other animals, and in many
> cases may be preferred.

Predators typically prefer to avoid other predators as a food source unless they're desperate, and most humanoids qualify as predators. In the case of intelligent predators vs intelligent predators, it's even more likely to be the case since they can anticipate the consequences.
> In fact, humanoids are often easier prey than many other animals, and in many > cases may be preferred. Predators typically prefer to avoid other predators as a food source unless they're desperate, and most humanoids qualify as predators. In the case of intelligent predators vs intelligent predators, it's even more likely to be the case since they can anticipate the consequences.

On the other side, predators don't often go up against their prey in a head on fight to the death. They strike from hiding, against an unaware prey. Shifters often have this advantage against other humanoids, at least until the claws come out.

cheers,
Meshon

7. Let me be honest. I don't know you. Yes, yes, you wear a face I've seen often enough, woken up next to, laughed with. But there's nothing certain in that face, not like you think. I've heard a voice rage in anger, wail with grief, laugh in joy, or grow silent in contemplation. How can you contend that all these things are contained in one identity?

What's that? You say I believe this because I can change the form the world sees with a thought? You should watch your face for a few heartbeats and then tell me that you do not change. You are something different each moment you exist.

The only truth I see in being is the fire. So rarely it blazes forth, but when it does... that is the only thing you can be certain of. That fire is the one constant, the seat of identity. But we are no one in particular when that flame does not burn through these masks. Take away all the masks and you will find only a void.

Lonely? Yes, sometimes I am lonely, or rather I should say sometimes I am loneliness. Or sadness, or passion. But how can anyone ever be alone when we can be everything?

I do not know you, and you do not know me. But perhaps, one day, our fires will burn together.

-Sophos, Changeling Socialite
8. Theme taken from PHR: Dragonborn.

Dragonborn are exceedingly patient, as they view anything worth doing is worth waiting for.  Thus, in stark contrast to Thri-Kreen, Dragonborn have no problem waiting hours for a late comrade at a tavern if the friend is worth seeing.

Now for personal fluff:

9. As opposed to the typical predator/prey relationship in the wild and seen in shifters, Dragonborn prefer predator meat.  The more dangerous the beast, the more of a delicacy the dish.  This stems from several inherent qualities of Dragonborn society.  First, as *most* Dragonborn revere Bahamut, it is an application of his domain of Protection to wipe out predators, albeit implemented in a strange fashion.  Second, Dragonborn seek honor and glory above all, and there is neither in killing a chicken or rabbit, but much in killing a dire bear.

10. Dragonborn (again, that worship Bahamut) are starkly honest at all times.  Lying is seen as weakness in character, as a first step down a slippery slope that leads to Tiamat.  The concept of "white lies" is alien to dragonborn society.  For example, a Dragonborn who eats a bad dish made by an elderly woman, if asked, will absolutely tell her it is terrible.  Any dragonborn that finds it has been told a lie to spare its feeling takes heavy offense, as they consistently strive for perection and cannot do this without constructive criticism from their peers.

11. The combination of the rarity of the species and their affinity for civilization, Dragonborn feel strong kinship to one another, even between strangers.  However, they make fearsome enemies if ione determines that another is giving a bad name to their race and lineage.  This is due to their desire to elevate their race to its former glory.  There is no hero that desires to take down the machinations of an evil dragonborn more thn another, good, dragonborn.

> In fact, humanoids are often easier prey than many other animals, and in many > cases may be preferred. Predators typically prefer to avoid other predators as a food source unless they're desperate, and most humanoids qualify as predators. In the case of intelligent predators vs intelligent predators, it's even more likely to be the case since they can anticipate the consequences.

It's all about the risks.  From an ecological perspective, top predators (wolves, mountain lions) will regularly hunt and kill mesopredators (raccoons, coyotes) if there's an opportunity to do so.  Predators never think "hmm, what does this animal eat?  Meat?  I'll leave it alone.  Plants?  DINNER!"  Heck, some taxonomists classify dogs as wolf sub-species, and yet wolves will regularly eat unattended pets in areas where their range overlaps with human settlements.  In fact, in poor, rural communities in Asia humans are regularly preyed on by tigers, despite the fact that humans are also predators, as you stated.  In Africa, competition between lions and hyenas is almost legendary (packs of hyenas will kill lone or small groups of lions seemingly out of spite, and pride of lions will do the same to small/separated groups of hyenas). 

I've read accounts of hungry wolves coming across healthy moose, and all it takes is one confident stare from the moose to convince the wolves to move along, this one's not worth the risk.  Thus, the generalization that (top) predators don't eat other predators is mostly a result of the fact that they can put up more of a fight than, say, a deer. 

Same rules apply to my Shifter fluff.  They're not going to prey on armed guards near cities, or even farmers that might induce the wrath of armed guards.  Unprepared, lightly armed travellers and merchants that don't realize they're in shifter territory would be prime targets.  Also, smaller tribal groups of humans, elves, halflings, etc. would likely suffer regular casualties if said groups couldn't effectively mobilize to retaliate against a Shifter pack.  Their niche wouldn't be unlike a herd of ungulates, always on the lookout for a big cat that could be lying in wait anywhere.  It would be a situation not unlike that in those rural Asian towns that still suffer regular casualties from man-eating tigers.
Along the same topic, although humanoids are "the most dangerous prey", Dragonborn obviously do not typically eat them.

A man-eating tiger, though, is a prime example of a great dragonborn dinner!

Also, here's another:

12. Dragonborn do not understand racism, the concept of judging humanoids (barring evil races) by their looks rather than their actions strikes them as irrational.  A primary example of this is the lack of enimity towards tieflings by most, even though in ages past they were bitter enemies.  This could be influenced by the wide variety of dragonborn scale colorations and that they do not correspond to anything significant (i.e. breath weapon type).

13. Tieflings are driven by an ambition and drive for power, in whatever form, so deep rooted in their psyche, they often seem obsessed to the point of nothing else. That Wizard who plunders ancient crypts and tombs in search of lore, the Rogue who brutally murders his way to the top of the local thieves guild, the son of a local baron, who beds any woman of interest, in hopes of aquiring useful knowledge about politics, or the merchant who braves the winter snow, to the shock and amazement of his colleagues.

This isn't to say they're ruthless, though many are. Many often have morals akin to other humanoid races, especially ones raised among another race, however they are simply far more driven than you're average individual. Whereas a Human Paladin may take it upon himself eliminate the threat of goblin raiders near a village, the Tiefling will wipe out the entire tribe. That Halfling Assassin who kills cleanly and never leaves a trace, whereas the Tiefling leaves a message, he ensures everyone knows who committed the deed, so all know who he is, and what he's capable of.

This drive for power, and the accompanying success often makes them targets of retaliation, theft, or conspiracy. Coupled with their devilish appearance and a childhood often marked by prejudice, they are deeply suspicious of others. This often results in paranoia, that anyone who attempts to get close to them is only after their secrets, mercantile contacts, or other avenue to success and power. Getting close to a Tiefling is often near impossible, but when one does, they become exceptionally loyal, and often protective. Whether this is because they are so unused to friendship that they grasp onto any genuine relationship, or because they wish to manipulate and use the other party depends on the individual in question.
14. Kobolds

Trap making is an art to kobolds as much as painting is to elves or humans.  The children sometimes (though not often) lose fingers trying to make more and more complicated traps.  While the best of these will go one to set traps that will maim and kill invaders of the warrens, some delight in making fun little 'trick' traps.

Nothing sets the little yappers laughing like finally getting that one guy's mother-in-law with the paste trap...except, maybe, watching the mother-in-law get revenge.

15.  Dwarves

Dwarves are hardworkers who do not give up on their endeavors.  A dwarf would rather build a machine that fails twenty times to make a better one than give up and buy something that will work better than the final product.  They're stubborn, but they're able.  Craftmanship is something as admired in their society as mastery of warfare or healing magic.

16.  Elves

Elves are more practical than some races, given their disconnection from extensive, trade supported civilizations.  Stealing something is punishable most often by equivalent reparations.  The theft, destruction, or waste of vital quantities (such as food, water, medicine), however, is treated much more strictly.  Indentured servitude or even the use of geas magic has been justified in some cases.

Execution is very rarely quick and most often reserved for the highest offenses (treason, mass-murder, etc).  Very often, the punishment fits the crime (someone who let his family starve when he ate well will be pinned to a tree and left to die while someone eats in front of him).

Among the races, they are the most likely to worship and protect spirits of the trees and nature.  More often than not, one can find trees with fancy trimmings and adornments that contain a Dryad.  This may seem ignorant to outsiders, but it makes more sense to them than anything else.
Go to preferences at the top of the page to create a sig. If you have just figured out how to create a sig, like me, copy this into your sig.
17. Dwarves

Dwarves are slaves to dwarven protocol. In Dwarven society there are rules for everything, and these rules are not to be bent or broken. The rules are not codified anywhere, but are passed on by society as a whole. No explanation is given, no reasoning required, these rules just ARE. "This is the way we have always done it." This is why dwarves seem stubborn and almost brash in their decision making, it's just that the right course of action is already *known* by the Dwarf, why would any one question it. Dwarves don't have large discussions about things, as that is a waste of time, everyone knows what to do in a given situation.

However, there are exceptions to the rule structure. Most of these occur while drinking. If a Dwarf is drinking or drunk, or even simply in a tavern, these rules can be put aside and dwarves are allowed to speak and act freely. This is where the dwarves get their reputation as a rowdy, heavy drinking race.

For example, when you approach a door, there are three options; If it's a friend, knock and walk in. If it's a stranger, knock and wait a few moments before entering. If an enemy, knock the door down. All door openings fall within these three options, it's just a matter of which option to follow. It doesn't matter if its the royal chambers of a King, or the front door of an inn. It may look like impatience or like "barging in", but it's the only available option.

Rule breakers are corrected and persistent rule breakers are shunned. It is every Dwarfs responsibility to work together to make sure that everyone follows the rules.

"The nail that sticks up, gets hammered down." would be a good summery of how societal rules are enforced.
Anyone want to give some more monsters a go? The kobolds were great!

cheers,
Meshon
Anyone want to give some more monsters a go? The kobolds were great!

18. While telepathic verbalisation is more than adequate for purposes of communication, illithids find it dissatisfying and unreliable in matters of even minor importance.  The carefully-chosen, deliberately-broadcast thoughts of telepathy lack genuine emotion or content, and are just as potentially false as the carefully-chosen, deliberately-spoken words of more mundane language.  To a race for whom thoughts themselves are a kind of food, telepathy is a thin, tasteless substitute for vital, nourishing thoughts.  To an illithid, the only thoughts truly worth hearing are those backed by powerful emotion and sensation.

It is for this reason that torture is, to mind flayers, a social convention which borders upon the casual.  Agony and terror are the easiest strong emotions for them to elicit, and they have no qualms whatsoever about doing so purely for the sake of enlivening psionic discourse.  A mind flayer does not torture a victim in order to coerce their honesty with a promise of the pain's cessation; rather, a mind flayer does it so that the pain and anguish surging through the victim's mind will let the mind flayer really taste those words.  Simple psionic speech lacks flavour, context, or meaning.  The ragged surge of torturous agony, on the other hand, fills those mental words with vitality, with substance, and allows the truth or falseness of them to be 'tasted' as clearly as you or I taste salt or sugar.

This is not merely a test of veracity, however.  An illithid being given an account of an event might wish to afflict the storyteller in order to give the tale a more visceral and 'real' feeling.  In the illithid view, a subject is not truly speaking unless zie is screaming.  There are even elaborate psionic patterns -- approximately their version of poetry or song -- based entirely upon the specific agonies inflicted upon the performer.  An illithid bard is a rare beast indeed and occupies a far different place in society from the carefree entertainers of our culture.

Obviously, this torture is a one-way street in the hierarchies of illithids; one does not torture one's superior to enrich the conversation, one demonstrates one's obedience by receiving such torture.  It's fairly common for an illithid to self-inflict pain, either through physical harm or psionic stimulus, in order to emphasize a particularly important statement, though truly powerful mind flayers will inflict agony upon someone else and psionically use that victim's suffering to bolster their own words.
(I employ zie/zie/zir as a gender-neutral counterpart to he/him/his. Just a heads-up.) Essentials definitely isn't for me as a player, and I feel that its design and implementation bear serious flaws which fill me with concern for the future of D&D, but I've come to the conclusion that it isn't going to destroy the game that I want to play. Indeed, I think that I could probably run a game for players using Essentials characters without it being much of a problem at all. Time will tell, I suppose.
19. Elves live long. When you think about it, it's huge. Absolutely huge. A single Elf could easily witness the rise and fall of a grand empire or two, and generations of humans. Coupled with the druidic tendencies of Elven society, some weird perspectives are bound to come up. One of these would logically be the belief that nothing manmade (or elfmade, etc. etc.) lasts. Everything but the world itself and it's great spirits is fleeting, eventually crushed by time and nature. Getting to know such a person could be quite disturbing for a human.
Trying to help "I'm original" people build better decks is self-sabotage: Good advice will inevitably be ignored because someone did it before. The gist of Magic is going to MWS/MTGO, playing Island, Ponder and watching the opponent ragequit.
Much about a culture can be learned from it's story traditions, art, proverbs etc. I present for your consideration the following:

"The nail that sticks out is the one that gets pounded" - Dwarven saying

Human speaking with his Tiefling friend "I hate Tiefling mystery stories, everyone is guilty."
The Tiefling's reply, "Of course they are, the fun is finding out who is guilty of what."

Typical Halfling respone when asked about any choice they made that ended in disaster, "Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time."

Half-orc warrior facing vastly superior numbers in battle "I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees."

21. Hobgoblin honor is highly individualistic and competitive. Civilized races in their lands have trouble understanding the fine line between committing a capital crime and merely attacking the honor of your rivals. Hobgoblin sergeants and warlords will steal valuable items, ambush lackeys in the streets, hire courtesans to embarrass their hosts, and conduct spontaneous duels with each other simply to establish who is the more honorable warrior. Honor must be defended at all times, and moments of weakness are carefully hidden. While some other races have similar cutthroat rivalries and moments of sabotage, what sets hobgoblins apart is how brazen and open they act about it. Use of subtlety to hobgoblins suggests an unwillingness to take responsibility for your enemy's fall in honor - something that is both despicable and suspicious. Hobgoblins instead parade their successes in front of their peers. Crimes committed in the name of honor are likewise unpunished in hobgoblin society, as long as no permanent losses are accrued.

In reverse, hobgoblins tend to be disgusted at the political intrigue of other nations. The nobility of other races seem without honor in their unwillingness to take up the mantle of their accomplishments, and their motives equally suspect. Moreso, the seriousness of which such deeds are played out among non-goblins is appalling. Death is reserved for mortal enemies and the weak; it should not be applied to your neighbor just because you both bid for the same title. It is as though other races can only advance through their lands as spineless whelps that can only focus on doing their jobs, or snakes that would as soon see their rivals dead or utterly destroyed - and to hobgoblins, neither path is redeemable.
22.) Githzerai hold discipline to be the most important aspect of anything in the world. Without discipline, everything would descend into chaos, like the roiling elements that they surround themselves with, or the barbaric Githyanki. Thus, Githzerai culture can seem rather stiff and unchanging to others. If a Githzerai has been wronged by another, they generally won't fly off the handle, or even seem to show anger to others. They feel anger, true, but to show it to others would mean that they have temporarily lost control of their emotions, a lapse in discipline that would be frowned upon.

This means, of course, that Githzerai tend to view the emotional outbursts of others in varying negative lights. The best intentioned Githzerai see others as merely uncultured, and will gladly share meditative techniques to help calm the mind if asked. More militant Githzerai see other races as irredeemably flawed, unable to control their emotions like Gith could not control hers.

A list of CharOp Handbooks I'm currently updating:

Heart of the Dragon: A Dragonborn's Handbook

Infernal Wrath: A Tiefling's Handbook

Gnolls of the hyena's soul view everything in terms of their packs. They do not go to seek their own fame and fortune, they are bringing loot and acclaim to their pack. Despite their ferocious reputations, gnolls form a caring community of their own. No member of the pack goes hungry while there still is prey to be taken and no packmate is left behind. Nor do they kill out of wanton spite. Every kill is a kill made out of hunger or in self-defense. Nothing is wasted when they kill, every last bit reused. That which cannot be eaten is recycled into something else.

If asked to sacrifice themselves for the pack's betterment, a gnoll will gladly sacrifice itself. No risk is too great, no threat too dangerous when it comes to the Greater Good (THE GREATER GOOD....). Gnolls find civilized races strange for their highly individual ways and lack of caring. They see those races as an infestion that survives only by their ability to breed like rats.

A gnoll that looses his pack will be lost. Without the emotional and social support that the pack provides, it will go mad very quickly. Some gnolls though, are able to make the jump from their own kind to a group of adventurers, who end up fufilling the original pack's roles.
Spiteful Wizard and Voice of Reason of the House of Trolls The Silent God of the House of Trolls Unfrozen OTTer Arbiter of the House of Trolls Yes, I have many titles. Deal with it.
24. Half-orcs have a fierce inborn need to prove themselves. It doesn't matter what they are trying to prove, or to whom, but they treat every event like a test. This is a visceral and instinctual impulse that manifests at birth, and is excruciatingly difficult to control.

This is one of the reasons why half-orcs are often viewed as uncivilized: their instincts force them to act before their rational minds can catch up with the impulse. If the captain of the guard is trying to belittle him, a half-orc will punch him out cold to prove that he's tougher.

This is not to say that half-orcs aren't irritable or easily provoked on their own; most have short tempers anyway. Half-orcs also have a bad reputation for being barbaric due to the fact that they are a mostly reactionary race. They lack the drive of humans or elves, and while a given half-orc might be a great adventurer, he usually doesn't plan ahead or sit in anticipation of what's beyond the next door. When not faced with a challenge, a half-orc is calm, stoic, and sometimes serene. However, considering half-orc instincts, these events are rare.

Since the demonstration of superiority is most easily achieved through violence, this is a half-orc's preferred medium, but half-orcs with more civilized origins can prefer any number of mediums. A half-orc raised under bardic traditions might meet every perceived challenge with a quick ditty, a haiku, or a short poem or limerick, just to prove that he can. When a half-orc finds religion, he can be one of the most fervent and pious of servants, to prove that he's suitably devoted.

Half-orcs take to adventuring better than some other races, because it helps their reactionary instincts. While in society, half-orcs tend to end up isolated due to their unplanned actions, they find plenty of ammunition to satisfy their instincts with an adventuring party. They have people to whom they can prove themselves, and no shortage of challenges to meet head-on. 

The original core books said that this was our game too. It doesn't feel like that anymore.

25. Faeries in general wish to have fun and put a lot of time and effort into spending their time well.  Festivals for the sake of many things are thrown weekly, year round, and daily in winter months.  There has to be something fun to do to keep the community together...or else it'll all fall apart.  Faerie communities without such traditions tend to be short-lived or to exist for only a certain purpose (an advanced front in a war, a frontier community, etc).  Sometimes they celebrate disasters, sometimes they celebrate the birth of a child, and sometimes they celebrate the first fallen leaf of the season; the reason matters not as much as having a festival.
Go to preferences at the top of the page to create a sig. If you have just figured out how to create a sig, like me, copy this into your sig.
26: No matter how deceptive a tiefling is, he will never choose a name to deceive others. That's to say: a tiefling hell-bent on avenging his sister's death will never name himself peace or something untruthful. He may lie about why he chose his name though.
A lot of these are good, but some seem to stray into the "dwarves are drunk and gruff humans, elves are thoughtful and speak in mellow voices" territory. What I find fascinating, and admittedly cannot adequately explore, is the sheer age of some races. If an elf or eladrin lives centuries on average, just how would they deal with death? So, on that note, and following the number order established...

27. Most eladrin do not fear death. Those who venture outside eladrin cities are well aware of the ease with which one can meet their mortal end, but within the towering spires of their well-protected homes, death usually comes only after at least three centuries of existence, and by then the dying eladarin is well-ready to make his or her departure. Because of this, sheltered eladrin simply cannot comprehend death as anything but the graceful end to a long and wholly fulfilling life.

Of course, adventuring eladrin have learned better.

28. Genasi are tied to the elemental forces of their world; which means that environmentalism, for them, is an obvious and self-evident act. If a lake became poisoned, a watersoul (or perhaps any) genasi would feel it as if a close relative, or even themselves, was dying. When the earthsoul genasi walks into a city, it's akin to a human walking through a graveyard. While other species might accuse the genasi of overreacting, they don't talk to the elements as the genasi do, and thus cannot comprehend.

In this sense, a genasi might view the choice between saving an individual's life and protecting some aspect of the environment as impossible.
Mirrors in the Desert
If, on a desert night, a traveler, outside the town of Balic, leaning from the steep slope, without fear of wind or vertigo, looks down in the gathering shadow (in a network of lines that interlace) on the carpet of sand illuminated by the moon around an empty grave, what story down there awaits its end?
29. In order to understand a culture, and by relation a unique race, one can look at that groups history of workmanship and location. 

Dwarves:  Born of Moradin's hand, and carving themselves out of stone, these great miners are shaped just as much as the stone they work on.  Unlike the elven races, who live in lands that are constantly in flux with the seasons, stone does not change.  It is fixed, and is a slate by which one reveals one's effect.  It does not have the personality like an elf might speak of a tree.  To dwarves, stone is a canvas, waiting for an artist. 
       In the first effect, this activity has a profound effect on Dwarven mentality.  When working with stone, in mining, tunneling, carving, and so one, dwarves quickly learn that there are no second chances.  Barring divine intervention, a mistake in craftmenship is not easily if even possilby correctable.  This translates into a dwarves mentality; this means to plan and think carefully about any undertaking that can have lasting consequences, for mistakes are a part of your history, and all shame of wrong acts is recognized.  Likewise, forgiveness is a treasured bond among dwarves, and not one dwarves will accept easily, learning to take mistakes and errors in their own judgements very personally.  Their dourness stems from each failure they measure, for each failure is a permenent fixture in their history, as much as a fault is in the bedrock - once made, it cannot be unmade, and it's effects are their for all to see.
       This mentality also surfaces in how dwarves form their bonds of family.  In working with stone, and metal, dwarves are known for tireless forgers of crafts of superior quality.  It cannot be helped that upon raising their own, they take to the task much like a blacksmith forging an artful axe.  Their mates are selected for their best qualities, as the raw materials one would use.  Time is of the utmost importance, as true art in the realm of stone and iron blossoms slowly, for the right mixtures to settle.  Their children and friends are reflections of these labors of love
       Each act and maneuver is planned, and replanned ahead of time. In many cases while it is true that Dwarves are slaves to tradition, this is not for a love of tradition itself, but instead for a known pattern of actions and lessons.  Those creative of dwarven people, they may stave off old methods of doing things, but their own eccentric methods are still no more impulsive, or sudden.  Artists, inventors, preachers, heretics, and schemers all take great dillegence in their actions, and no idea regardless of how new and controversial, has not be been considered, reconsidered, tested, leveled, measured, checked, and referenced many times for being instituted.  In political manuverings, dwarves are particulary notorious for thinking far ahead of their adversaries, and that foresight and cunning wedded with ingenuity is a scarey weapon against much of dwarven society.
30: Due to their Quori half, Kalashtar experience dreams much more vividly than most, and many consider the dreaming world every bit as 'real' as the real world. However, due to their human half, they cannot always dream as lucidly as a true Quori might. Like many humanoids, their dreams are often based on the sensory stimuli they've experienced throughout the day, and while some can control their surroundings, many cannot.

As a result of this, many Kalashtar are wary of storytelling, fictional or otherwise. A tale that incorporates any particularly dark themes or significant negative emotions felt by the characters can be offensive and potentially harmful, since even simply hearing such stories may cause them to actually experience something similar that night.

Kalashtar tend to empathize much more with fictional characters than do other humanoid races, particularly when the stories those characters are in are very emotionally moving. Kalashtar fiction almost never involves anything remotely sinister. Killing off a character that a reader or listener has grown particularly attached to is seen as a crime on the same level of, say, killing someone's pet.

31: Most drow worship Lolth, and a rare few that break away devote themselves to opposing the Spider Queen at every turn. However, there are a fair number of drow that fall somewhere between the extremes--some devote themselves to other evil deities, some end up morally neutral, and some 'redeemeed' drow regard Lolth as not appreciably worse than any other force of evil. These 'middle-ground' drow find it exceedingly irritating that their entire race seems to be defined by a single goddess. They may become angry at mention of 'normal' Lolth-worshipping dark elves, and curiously, even more outraged at those 'redeemed' drow who choose to continue defining themselves with respect to Lolth, even though it is in opposition to her. This segment of the Drow population would like nothing more than to never hear Lolth's name again.
The world is a mess, I just need to... rule it.
32.  Gnomes love tricks, above just about all other pleasures.  These tricks range from simple and innocent pratfalls and misdirections, to more complex and diabolical revenge scenarios. The more elaborate the trick the better. The finest tricks can take years to come to fruition.

What is surprising to most outsiders is how gnomes can appreciate and approve of tricks that have horrific outcomes. Even as the subject of one of these tricks, what matters is art of it. It's as if the outcome of the trick is an afterthought. Even if your house is burned down, as long as it was done in a crafty manner it was a good trick. The recipient can appreciate the craftsmanship of the trick outside of the fact that their home was destroyed. To a gnome, there really isn't a difference if the recipient of a trick is simply inconvenienced or brutally hurt, what matters is that they were fooled. Tripping someone into a puddle of mud is just as good as tripping them into lava, as long as they fell in a funny way and what they tripped on was cleverly placed.

In gnomish culture there is a parallel status structure based on ones ability to craft tricks. A high noble or merchant king might be considered low brow if his repetoir relies on simple "low" tricks. Where a pauper can be well respected due to the craftsmanship of his tricks.

Difficulties arise when dealing with non-gnomish races as they often don't fully appreciate the art of trickery. Even classic tricks like swapping the gold pouches of everyone at an inn or redirecting someone into a pit of acid don't seem to resound with non-gnomes, which puzzles gnomes a great deal.
33. Amongst halflings, theft is not illegal nor frowned upon.  Infact, it is a tightly regulated industry that goes by the name "Acquisitions".  An acquirer can be openly hired by another member of the community to acquire an object currently in the possession of another.  These acquirers are licensed and frequently audited to ensure they stole nothing but the desired object and damaged nothing on the property during the acquisition.  Acquirer's are strictly forbidden from making acquisitions for themselves, though they can hire others to acquisition for them.

Individuals and communities are also free to provide acquisition insurance, which is an annual sum paid to the acquirer to increase the cost of any acquisitions on the area's property.  Thus halflings often respond poorly to local authorities who do not share their point of view, helplessly shoving the appropriate paperwork in the face of the authority, quoting the contract, object in question, and charges related to the contract.

This leads to a less exemplary but much more fundamental.  Stealing without a contract is a very serious crime in halfling society.  Akin to assault or blackmail, and carries heavy penalties up to and including exile from the group.  Any acquirer must be carrying the appropriate papers and forms at the time of the theft to present to authorities should they be called out.  This does not tie the hands of the item's owner, who may take whatever means they deem necessary to protect the object in question (including hiring their own thugs).

Such laws have lead to a secondary industry in the halfling world, called Retainment.  Retainers are counter-acquirers kept on call to foil potential acquirers.  There is also a lesser industry of thugs, who have permission to fight an acquirer (but not to un-acquire the item).  Thugs are much cheaper.

In line with halfling tradition however, none of this is written down.

34. Elven/Eladrin/Drow Lifespans: The elven people view lifespans in a different manner (and with different terms).  To the Eladrin it's called Temporal Acceleration and Terminal Temporal Velocity.  To Elves it's known as the Quickening and the Release.  To the Drow it's referred to as The Slowest Poison and the Fall.  While they have different mythologies and superstitions regarding this event, they have remarkabley identical beliefs.

I'll use the Eladrin terms.  Life passes at a certain temporal speed.  Because stagnation is equivalent to death, in order to remain alive a species must accelerate.  As the indivdual accelerates time moves faster and faster for them, bringing them closer and closer to the point where it is impossible to remain joined with the physical body, which they call the Terminal Temporal Velocity.  At that point, the body ages to fast to keep itself together and the soul breaks free to enter the Shadowfell.

Different races travel through time at different rates of acceleration.  Humans, for example, accelerate very quickly, reaching the Terminal Temporal Velocity in less than a century.  Dwarves on the other hand move at a somewhat moderate pace, not so sedate as the elven-kind nor at the breakneck pace of the half-orcs.  This isn't all bad though, for accelerating so rapidly tends to make life more vibrant and every decision more meaningful.  In the elven mind, those races that age faster experience life more fully and each decision has a thousand times more weight. 

Many of the elven-kind become jealous of the faster races, caught between the desire to accelerate faster and the urge to see more of time.  This is sometimes a source of conflict between the elven-kind and the faster races.  It's also a source of disdain for any of the fast races that try to extend their life.  They have the unimaginable gift of urgency and they'd give it all up just to see the cycle of rise and fall repeat itself a few more times?  It's unconscionable to the elven-kind.
Resident Shakespeare
From my homebrew...
35.  Theologians know that when Io split into Bahamut and Tiamat they created metallic and chromatic dragons respectively.  These dragons created the written form of draconic, consisting of complex symbols left by claws moved across a medium such as stone, soft metal or, when dipped in ink, parchment.   The elder scrolls, put to page by wise ancient dragons use parchment the size of large rugs to accommodate the massive claw marks. 
     However, what most people don't know unless they've had the opportunity to talk with both a metallic dragon and a chromatic dragon is that the spoken form depends on the dragons descent from their gods. 
     Metallic dragons, if you've noticed, possess a slightly less fearsome visage because they have lips. Bahamut saw fit that metallic dragons should not constantly have their weapons bared to the world.
     Chromatic dragons, however, lack lips entirely and therefore cannot pronounce certain sounds such "m" "p" "b".  Their version of draconic contains rasps and hisses that sound very predatory to most other species.   Other reptilian races that lack lips, such as lizardfolk and kobolds use this version of draconic as well.
     Dragonborn on the otherhand, have lips and are able to speak metallic draconic.  Those of them that worship Bahamut see this as divine gift to be able to speak the language of the most high. Some Dragonborn go so far as to justify horrible actions to other reptilians, viewing their inability to speak metallic draconic as a mark of Tiamat.
Ooooh, I think I might have to steel that one for my games.
Thanks!
Also from my homebrew...
36.   Kobolds that live among the warmblooded races used to be a highly specialized slave caste among the other reptilian races.  Each family or breed had a craft or profession (not 3e though) that they were specially trained for.  When kobolds were freed from slavery many of them took as last names the specialty of their family as a point of pride.   As a result there are a number of kobolds with names like Meepo Gazpacho.

37.   Minotaurs have struggled for years against the stereotype that they are blood thirsty beasts.  Some minotaurs fully embrace it, living up to their fearsome reputation and reacting to every slight as if it were a mortal insult.  These days though, more minotaurs try to project the image of total control over their emotions.  Believing that giving in to the bestial nature shows an easily exploitable weakness, minotaurs have developed a zen outlook on life, often remaining calm even in the face of a fearsome conflict; many become traders, priests and scholars.    
38.  Since the demise of the 17th Vlaakith, the githyanki that fled the astral sea founded mountain communities and severed all ties with chromatic dragons.   Now they live monastic lifestyles amid the clouds, perfecting their arcane and psionic powers in isolation from many other humanoid races.  In time, they plan on a single coordinated march of their elite arcanists and psions into the underdark to repay every illithid for the thousand year debt of slavery and murder.   They are a terribly focused people.  There is even talk of rejoining with the githzerai, though most elders doubt the ability of the githzerai to forgive them for hundreds of years of misguided conflict. 
39.) It's common knowledge that Halflings have a natural resistance towards supernatural fear. This can lead to odd situations, though, such as human children attempting to scare a halfling by popping out from behind a barrel, and eliciting nothing more than a chuckle (or worse reactions, if said halfling is in a bad mood).

This misunderstanding can continue when halflings are involved in an adventuring party. When a dragon lands in the middle of a group of adventurers and unleashes a fearsome, mind-effecting roar, a halfling may not truly understand why this will cause their allies to freeze up.

In the worst cases, this can cause halflings to look down upon other races who are susceptible to fear effects, seeing them as cowards who can't take a stand when is truly needed. These particular halflings also have a particular enmity towards teiflings, because of the teifling inclination towards fearsome abilities*. 

*Represented mechanically with the Hellfire Blood Feat 

A list of CharOp Handbooks I'm currently updating:

Heart of the Dragon: A Dragonborn's Handbook

Infernal Wrath: A Tiefling's Handbook

40.) "Goblins are a***oles. 'Nuff said, for most good folk of the realms. A fellow scholar and I attempted once to catalogue their comings and goings once, trying to determine why exactly these creatures so often end up on the pointy end of every inexperienced swordsman's weapon. In a hiding spot for days, we watched a small band of the yellow buggers and, to our disgust, we found nothing of any real import to tell. Here's an excerpt from my journal.

6AM: Goblins change sentry duty. Those who report for duty have to be whipped by larger goblins who don't want to report for duty. Both off duty and now on duty goblins roll eyes at job.

7AM: Biggest of the goblin sentrys gets bored, attmpts to light pants of fellow sentry with the dying embers of the night's fire. Succeeds in burning smaller goblins rump. Other two sentrys roll eyes.

9 AM: Two sentrys go off into the woods to take a bathroom break. Bigger goblin from before attempts to light the pants of smaller goblin on fire with new ember. He fails. Smaller goblin rolls eyes as he swiftly scoots away.

12PM: Two sentrys have yet to return. Goblins around camp have finally woken and begin to get excited about something, presumably the promise of possible loot from passing adventures. Goblin chief sleepily rolls eyes and begins to gether weapons for the "able bodied" goblins to form a search party.

3PM: Goblins begin search party. One goblin is left behind to protect the camps valuables, consisting mainly of ratty clothes and a half eaten haunch of deer. He rolls eyes. Getting quite warm all of a sudde

3AM: We escape goblin encampment after being captured by two sentries. After relieving us of our pants by fire, the goblins spent hours making idle threats of cannibalism before apparently realizing that we had no allies to valiantly come to our aid. After eating the last of my big league chew, the release us a few miles outside of camp and ask us not to come back until we "Bring something to do". I roll eyes.

I tell you, those little buggers seem to be just itching for trouble. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got me some huntin to do.

-From Conversations with a Multiclass Wizard/Ranger by Tyson Lyonsheart
41. Orcs:

In some human cultures, several pages might be simultaneously jockeying for the position of a particular knight's squire, perhaps competing with one another with mock weapons, or perhaps simply doing favors for the knight to gain his approval. Each act that a page does to gain the knight's favor is ipso facto a detriment to the rest of the pages who are trying to do the same thing, but few would refer to such acts as evil even though they are a detriment to the others.

This is how Orcs view combat and killing. It isn't evil; it's just another facet of healthy competition. Orcish tribes may war against one another and cause many deaths, but they see it in a similar way to how we see competition between rival corporations, or even rival school sports programs. The casualties weren't very important -- they're certainly not still around to complain about it, so who cares?

This is taken further when you understand that individual orcs place very little value on their own lives, and will readily die for the benefit of the group. It isn't that they feel some sense of "duty" to their clan, or that they "sacrifice" themselves for their tribe, but rather they are their clan, their tribe, their kingdom, more than they are themselves. (If you must amputate your arm to save the rest of your body from gangrene, does your arm itself care that it dies?)

It is difficult for Orcs to comprehend that other races do not operate this way. An orcish band that assaults and slaughters a caravan on the road is not doing it out of malice. They may have fun with it, but their primary thoughts are generally along the lines of, "here is a chance for a combat. We should take it -- and whoever ends up the victor deserves to be the victor, whoever loses deserves to cease to live." Combat isn't exactly a 'game,' but it is certainly a competition.

Those very few orcs who follow orcish traditions, and also have any philosophical inclination, consider themselves and their entire race to be furthering the notion of "survival of the fittest" by this behaviour. By engaging in combat "competitions" at every opportunity, they gradually strengthen the entire world. They'd like to think that when all is said and done, Orcs will dominate the other races, but even if this isn't true, Orcs will have played their part by greatly strengthening whoever finally dominates.
The world is a mess, I just need to... rule it.
42. Dwarves

Dwarves are born at a gender ratio of two males to one females.  Due to this imbalance their society has developed into two parts.  The first part, too which every dwarf is born into is that of the family.    The family is all important in dwarf society and forms the primary building block of their society.  A middle-aged male, who has proven himself through mastery of a trade, or a trader, or through martial prowess- basically that he is able to support a family, and is a leader- is approached through a female representative for an arranged marriage to a younger female.  The power to arrange marriages gives females an important basis of power since the male with his property then becomes a part of her family.  Males not that do not become married remain a part of their mother's family.  Females are isolated from other males not of their family.  It is considered inappropiate and worse for a female to have contact with males not of their family.  Although females have their own spaces to which they are able interact with each other separate from males.

Families act as mini-clans within the larger clans and explain the reasons why Dwarves are so loyal to those within their close daily orbits.  And why they make excellent adventuring companions once their mates have been battle-tested.

The second part of their society is that males, once they reach puberty, then are moved into a separate male area where they began their apprenticeships in their trades and military training.  In this separate sphere- in which half of them will spend their entire lives- they live in a boisterous comrade where they drink, play practical jokes, and fightl.  This is only broken up a half-day a week where they go back to their respective families to spend that time within the cult of motherhood. 
43. Goblins (including bugbears and hobgoblins) have a causual proclivity towards brutality and cruelty. This is especially inhuman because it is not really a choice, as it is with humans. If a human saw a slave drop a platter of food, he could become angry, and then choose to beat/execute that slave. For a goblin, violence is a natural conclusion, with no other real options. When your nose itches, you sneeze; when a servant dipleases you, it dies. Also, in goblin society, there is an absolute lack of social stigma towards this behaviour. In the above example, those who witness the human's barbaric treatment of another human being woud at least ellicit some reaction, be it looking away in disgust but saying nothing for fear of your own life, or cheering out of a genuine appreciation for bloodshed. Among goblins, you would see no more a reaction to this than you would if someone excused himself to go to the restroom.
42. Dwarves

Dwarves are born at a gender ratio of two males to one females.  Due to this imbalance their society has developed into two parts.  The first part, too which every dwarf is born into is that of the family.    The family is all important in dwarf society and forms the primary building block of their society.  A middle-aged male, who has proven himself through mastery of a trade, or a trader, or through martial prowess- basically that he is able to support a family, and is a leader- is approached through a female representative for an arranged marriage to a younger female.  The power to arrange marriages gives females an important basis of power since the male with his property then becomes a part of her family.  Males not that do not become married remain a part of their mother's family.  Females are isolated from other males not of their family.  It is considered inappropiate and worse for a female to have contact with males not of their family.  Although females have their own spaces to which they are able interact with each other separate from males.

Families act as mini-clans within the larger clans and explain the reasons why Dwarves are so loyal to those within their close daily orbits.  And why they make excellent adventuring companions once their mates have been battle-tested.

The second part of their society is that males, once they reach puberty, then are moved into a separate male area where they began their apprenticeships in their trades and military training.  In this separate sphere- in which half of them will spend their entire lives- they live in a boisterous comrade where they drink, play practical jokes, and fightl.  This is only broken up a half-day a week where they go back to their respective families to spend that time within the cult of motherhood. 

nicely thought out. Doesn't in any way match my vision of the dwarves, but that's not really the point, is it? :D

I've just never liked the whole "dwarven women are rare" thing. right along with dwarven bearded women.

gah....I had thoughts for this thread, but it's 5am and they have escaped me. hopefully, I'll manage to catch them again later...
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
Pine trees didn't unanimously decide one day that leaves were gauche.
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome
One of the reasons I enjoy playing custom races is because I get tired of the stereotypes and like to play something that nobody should really have any preconceived notions about.

MY current example of this is a half-elf, half-dryad (we call her a "drylf") female who was "born" to an oak tree mother and who lived in a dryad-filled oak tree glade until a bunch of kobolds, goblins and humans came and cut down all the trees, including her mother. (That all happened while she was off training to become a druid, the shock almost killed her, but she survived by virtue of her half-elfness.)

So now she's a sort of half-breed orphaned dryad with druid classes. Her behavior is inhuman enough that the party cleric calls her the "crazy tree lady".

She talks to plants. She's 1/4 tree after all. When they go into a town to find an Inn, she searches for a nice comfortable oak tree to spend the night. She doesn't mind the cold at all and can sleep just fine in a snow bank. It has taken her until level six to really even comprehend the function of money. She still doesn't quite get why anyone would be interested in round metal objects, but she's learned that she can trade them for things that she can use. This has her very excited now that she thinks she's figured it out. She has similar issues with clothing, a custom she finds to be not only incomprehensible, but thoroughly uncomfortable. She has discovered the value of leather armor though.

She has a visceral and barely controllable hatred of axes. She has vulnerabilities to fire and finds fire to be abhorrent. She insists that all fires be as small as possible and only burn as long as necessary. She even dislikes torches.

It physically hurts her to be disconnected with nature. Just going inside a building, or going underground causes her physical pain and reduces her constitution by 1. So she rarely goes inside any buildings, and only goes into dungeons if there is a compelling reason to do so (which there usually is).

She doesn't eat much, although she can eat. She prefers to gain her nutrition from sinking her bare feet into the soil and pulling nutrients into her body. This takes a while. But if she can't do it for long periods of time, she starts to get a little loopy.

When going trough any forested area, she moves through the forest canopy instead of on the trail below. This is as natural to her as breathing. She is simply worshipful of rain. If it's raining she will stand and reach her arms to the skies and exult under the falling water.

There's much more, but that's a pretty good flavor. She's really fun to play. But in terms of her actions and interactions with PCs and NPCs, she's the least "human" character I've ever played.

Oh, her skin color and hair color and consistency is based on the seasons...

In a memorable moment of her inhumanity, deep in a cave, the cleric suddenly cursed and said "great! batsh*t!"

"Yum" she replied, taking off her boots....