2/2/2010 LI: "Breaking the Seal"

11 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Limited Information, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Red and Black might be a bit slower now due to weaker creatures, but White got faster with Worldwake.  Fledgling Griffin, Marsh Threader, Apex Hawks and Kitesail Apprentice are each in the range "highly playable to absurd", and are backed up by fast uncommons (Hada Freeblade in an Allies deck, white Kird Ape in WG).  Also, Journey to Nowhere got better due to the beating it gives to Zendikons, and Kitesail (a first pick all the way) is a perfect finisher in the air.  Flying/evasion is now the way to win and white is all over it.
Yeah, but consider all the fat butts in WWK - especially in white and blue.
Manaug.gif | Manawu.gif | Manau.gif | Manaub.gif | Manaur.gif
I'm not at all surprised that Corrupted Zendikon is good.  I like that Grim Discovery is now more likely to get its full use.

That was a great story about Abyssal Persecutor and Death's Shadow!

P.S.  "...it's usually indicative of a situation in which things of been going quite well for you..."

"things of been"???
This has a couple of implications. The most obvious of which being that swampwalkers are quite good in Zendikar/Worldwake Sealed. So if you have any Bog Tatters that you're on the fence about playing when you're at a launch party, put 'em in. You won't be disappointed.

this was exactly the logic my girlfriend used when she loaded up her deck with swampwalkers. one of the more experienced players told her to take those out and just side them in against black, but she was like "no that's cool." this was her second time playing competitive magic and she ended up making top 8 and winning some packs!

marsh threader is pretty nice in this environment. most of the time it ends up being an unblockable 2/1 for 2, and in the rarer instances where it's not, it's still a 2/1 for 2, which is decent by itself.
...and Kitesail (a first pick all the way) is a perfect finisher in the air.  Flying/evasion is now the way to win and white is all over it.

???
Kitesail is absolutely unplayable unless you have at least 2 equips in your deck, and needs like 3-5 to be good. Granted, you'll know going into the third pack about how good Kitesail will be...but really, how often is anybody going to end up with a deck to support it? Not so often. Even if it is going to be amazing in your deck, you can probably just table it.
Check out my magic blog: http://magicthemusing.wordpress.com/
...and Kitesail (a first pick all the way) is a perfect finisher in the air.  Flying/evasion is now the way to win and white is all over it.

???
Kitesail is absolutely unplayable unless you have at least 2 equips in your deck, and needs like 3-5 to be good. Granted, you'll know going into the third pack about how good Kitesail will be...but really, how often is anybody going to end up with a deck to support it? Not so often. Even if it is going to be amazing in your deck, you can probably just table it.

You are surely refering to Kitesail Apprentice, which is in fact not good at all unless you have Equipment. There just happens to be an equipment called simply Kitesail, however, which is quite good by itself *grin*.
Abyssal Persecutor is quite possibly my favorite card in the set. A friend of mine played it in his Sealed deck, got his opponent to 0 (or less), then put a Predatory Advantage on the Persecutor to win.
Walking Atlas also seems good to me, even though I haven't gotten the chance to play it yet. Flashing in a Quicksand, man-land, or Sejiri Steppe (or one of its brethren) would be quite a hoot.
Also, I got to play with Vampire Hexmage (without Dark Depths) for the first time at the Prerelease, and was surprised at how many fun things there are for yout o take counters off of. (Allies, Quests, kicked +1/+1s, Urge to feed tokens, etc.) I had one play where I blocked a 2/2 Ally with a +1/+1 counter on it, dealt first strike damage, and sacked the Hexmage to kill the Ally. Take that, M10 rules change!
Contest Winners
Random Words
Round 1: Maraxas-of-Keld, Cryos_Icy_Manipulator Round 2: Dr_Demento, UltraMaximum Round 3: Dr_Demento, Keino Round 4: KunouNoHana Round 5: Maraxas-of-Keld, Stigma_Lasher Round 6: royinator Round 7: forty2j Round 8: Qazior Round 9: Qazior Round 10: Could be you link
Split Cards
Winner: dberry02
Pac-Man
Round 1: Fallingman
Worldprism
Quotes
57051078 wrote:
I just love how focused the YMtC community is.
56901828 wrote:
That's what I love about posting on these forums. Everyone's an expert(except for me).
57031358 wrote:
really no need to be so bitchy.
58021268 wrote:
@Edacade: Awright kid you go on ahead and do your thing and don't let anyone tell you different y'hear
58335208 wrote:
City of Asymmetrical Beings Land :T:, sacrifice a creature: Destroy target creature with the same converted mana cost as the sacrificed creature.
56957928 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
Might I just interject that making this a meme is the worst idea in magic in my opinion. It is too overpowered. It encourages cheating it in play. Essentially 99/100 times it is cheated in play instead of hardcast. Not only that, but you essentially win when it comes into play.
74943291 wrote:
82512575 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
Make five-color hybrid tribal instant with buyback, kicker, cycling, card draw, token production, a steal effect, alternate casting cost and landfall that embodies the love that your mom and I share.
I think you just killed all chances of my card being elegant. Ardency :1mana::symwu::symbr: Tribal Instant - Soldier You may have target opponent gain control of 3 permanents you control rather than pay ~'s mana cost. As an additional cost to cast ~, choose two creatures you control, and sacrifice the rest. If you control a soldier, you can't sacrifice permanents this turn. Landfall - If you had a land enter the battlefield under your control this turn, instead choose 4 creatures. Kicker You get an emblem with "As long as you control both chosen creatures, they have protection from everything." If ~ was kicked, creatures you control get +1/+1 for each creature card in your graveyard until end of turn. Cycling :2mana: When you cycle ~, put two 2/2 Soldier creatures onto the battlefield. Would this EVER fit on a card?~
Aside from a few wording mishaps (should say "each chosen creature" because it's not necessarily two) this is nice. Very simple and elegant. I like the alternate cost a lot, and the kicker goes nicely with the sacrifice. However, the cycling seems a bit powerful (4 power and a card for 3? Cycling is supposed be bad. 8/10 EDIT: Just looked up "ardency". Lol.
58347268 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
58325628 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
I'm immortalized too as long as no one deletes this post!
But in the shadow of the great one lurked many who sought to partake of his eternal glory.
Since when am I "many"?
You're a whole damn city.
74943291 wrote:
83237429 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
83237429 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
Ahem.
58021268 wrote:
Vivisect Sorcery As an additional cost to cast Vivisect, sacrifice a creature. Draw three cards. "For the sake of humanity," the surgeon whispered. The knife had never felt heavier in his hand.
I don't think a world that sacrifices so much would want to stop the making of children .
Vivisect =/= vasectomy
Now I just feel silly.
56287226 wrote:
I read over two hundred webcomics on a regular basis. "Terrible" doesn't even begin to describe me.
70246459 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
I think that this is the first wizards-community thread that actually made me laugh out loud. Maraxas, I love you.
IMAGE(http://www.free-smiley-faces.de/free-animated-smileys_Smileys-animiert-kostenlos/free-animated-smiley-love_smiley-herz-animiert-kostenlos_250x250.gif)
58347268 wrote:
batman is a jerk in all of my dreams
mafia is fun so play it

???

You are surely refering to Kitesail Apprentice, which is in fact not good at all unless you have Equipment. There just happens to be an equipment called simply Kitesail, however, which is quite good by itself *grin*.

*facepalm*

Durr durr duh...
Check out my magic blog: http://magicthemusing.wordpress.com/
I took 7th outta 24 with B/W vamps and kor...i think i shoulda done much better as initialy I was misplaying my vamp Sword,  I thought it had to damage a creature to get the bonuses...but most likely that only really matterd in one loss, still a big deal with only 5 rounds...then the only guy to really beat me was the one person I played that didnt play B/somthing...so theres a high enough place to get some packs basically just on one Marsh Threader maindeck and one Bog Tatters in side...some good eq too...If i only had got some rare vamps or even one Urge to feed i woulda been in bussiness! The guy sitting across from me opend 3 Urges! 

???

On the topic of Kitesail, why didn't they add it to Pilgrim's Eye?  An "Artifact Creature - Equipment" would make a neat replacement for Orinithopter and is in keeping with other AC's in the set like Stone Puma. I'd even suggest "Ally" as Stone Puma is good to get extra ally triggers... that might be pushing it. Thematically it would fit to have the Kitesail as a Kor pet, again like the puma. It was one of the first things that hit me opening packs because I opened them in back-to-back packs and they were so similar I thought they should go together.... I guess I could PLAY the Kitesail ON the Pilgrim's Eye, Stone Puma or even Ornithopter for kicks.

Sign In to post comments