GP Oakland

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
we're a couple weeks out... who all will I see there?
Sadly, I won't be there.  If I could go, I'd probably play the Domain Zoo list that I posted in the TC.
I have never been to anything higher than a local FNM about 5 minutes away from where I live.

EDIT: Even if I could go, I would try and bring my secret tech deck.
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
You will see, assuming you are creeping at my house.  If you are at GP Oakland you will not see me...
You will see, assuming you are creeping at my house.  If you are at GP Oakland you will not see me...

We probably both have the same situation.

EDIT: Even though Oakland is only a few hours away from me...
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
I got my money on Saito Zoo with MD Bant Charm and Qasali Pridemage winning or FoundryDepths winning. 

Unless somelike LSV or Nassif show us some new tech to beat Dark Depths. 
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
I got my money on Saito Zoo with MD Bant Charm and Qasali Pridemage winning or FoundryDepths winning. 

I have a deck that, in 43 test games, has only lost 7 times against DD.  It has a lousy zoo an faeries matchup, but it holds its own against most decks.  Of the decks out there, it slaughters DD, MWC, and most slower zoo versions.

I have a deck that, in 43 test games, has only lost 7 times against DD.  It has a lousy zoo an faeries matchup, but it holds its own against most decks.  Of the decks out there, it slaughters DD, MWC, and most slower zoo versions.

and what might this be?

Hey mishima is back.

Anyways, playing Zoo without Bant Charm is a big mistake.  Baneslayer or non-Baneslayer builds are both really, really good. 

and what might this be?

Can't tell you until after the Extended Tourney.
I'll be at GP Oakland, packing elves combo
I'll be at GP Oakland, packing elves combo

My SDTD has never versed it, so idk how it fares.
Hmm...well since you won't reveal what you're playing, I don't know what your matchup would be like. Things that do well against elves are running maindeck chalice of the voids and engineered explosives + countermagic to prevent the elf player from primal commanding those artifacts.
Zoo also does well against elves, as it can cast 12 1-mana removal spells that deal with threats.
Good luck for all who are going. Oakland is too far away from me for a weekend trip and my job did not allow for more right now.

But I will watch the Event Coverage what is going on there. The Weekend after GP Oakland I will have my first PTQ for this season, the results of GP Oakland will possably influence what I am playing at the PTQ.

Don't try to argue with the Raiders fans about Football.
Hitting the road tomorrow... wish me luck kids ;D

Good luck!  What did you decide on playing?
Coverage has started.  So far just feature matches are up, but they're pretty interesting.  I saw a deck a lot like Chord-A-Lark, which was awesome.  It apparently had the Project X combo in it, too.

EDIT: I'm reading the feature matches right now, and Petr Brozek has this really cool Boros Landfall deck with Zektar Shrine Expedition, along with Flagstones of Trokair + Ghost Quarter.
What is the Project X combo?
What is the Project X combo?

Saffi Eriksdotter + Crypt Champion, along with something to win with, in this case Essence Warden for infinite life.

Good luck!  What did you decide on playing?

So I last minute audibled from UWb sword to UBw, splashing white solely for meddling mage out of the board (as well as explosives for 3, but I digress). I felt like the proactive discard was too strong to pass up, as well as gaining access to dark confidant as an additional draw engine.

Bob was good and bad at the same time, costing me 2 matches (one ending in a draw, the other ending in an anticlimactic game 3 where I took 15 from one dark confidant over the course of 4 turns). Both times I died by flipping literally the only card in my deck in each situation that would be lethal for me... Super depressing. I ended up going 4-2-1 drop, losing to jon loucks in three games on turn 5 in extra turns. I'll post a list later; I'm pretty sure I've stated before about how absurdly powerful I feel the thopter combo is, and this is the next incarnation.
The John Loucks chord deck seemed pretty cool.  Dissapointing you had to drop, but not too bad.  Unlucky with bob though.  To be honest, if you're gonna go mainly black you probably might as well just turn into thopter-depths...
The John Loucks chord deck seemed pretty cool.  Dissapointing you had to drop, but not too bad.  Unlucky with bob though.  To be honest, if you're gonna go mainly black you probably might as well just turn into thopter-depths...

If he faces Colney Woods though Chord-a-lark is pretty screwed with 4 main deck aven mindcensor.
And it's said that youth's ,well only tragedy Is being unoriginal
89522235 wrote:
niche's solution to everything is always MOAR BLACK! "ok, my legacy mono black control deck is getting hated out by light of day..." "MOAR BLACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
So, zoo x2, Colony Wood's Bant Wagon, Living End, Elves!, Hypergensis, Thopter depths, and Barely Boros top 8ed. Elves won the tourney.

This has some merit, like when yurchick went turn 2 'marit lage u' vs. travis and travis didn't have an out nor drew into one, but just going thopters is soooooooo good. You become a more controlling deck rather than having to try and balance the two combos out, and when push comes to shove thopters > 20/20s. I dunno, still brewing. Might end up going back to UWb because of path, but the proactive discard is nuts. I'm certain my numbers right now are off, but I'm also pretty sure they're not off by a lot.

On a side note not related to this forum at all, RG valakut in standard is the nuts. $15 box of WWK anyone? how about 2 for $30? OH BUT THAT DECK IS TERRIBLE. Oh wait...

This has some merit, like when yurchick went turn 2 'marit lage u' vs. travis and travis didn't have an out nor drew into one, but just going thopters is soooooooo good. You become a more controlling deck rather than having to try and balance the two combos out, and when push comes to shove thopters > 20/20s. I dunno, still brewing. Might end up going back to UWb because of path, but the proactive discard is nuts. I'm certain my numbers right now are off, but I'm also pretty sure they're not off by a lot.

On a side note not related to this forum at all, RG valakut in standard is the nuts. $15 box of WWK anyone? how about 2 for $30? OH BUT THAT DECK IS TERRIBLE. Oh wait...

Franky, I know you play standard, so you should sign up for the "invitational super series" in the standard general section.
So, zoo x2, Colony Wood's Bant Wagon, Living End, Elves!, Hypergensis, Thopter depths, and Barely Boros top 8ed. Elves won the tourney.

Let's see, the Zoo decks were pretty straightforward.  I'm glad to see that non-Baneslayer Zoo decks are doing well, considering they're the best.

What are everyone's thoughts on the Bant deck?  Clearly it got a big advantage because no one was really expecting it, but is it good enough to stick around for the rest of the season?

I think I like Living End Cascade better than Hypgergenesis.  Getting to play stuff like Ingot Chewer and Fulminator Mage maindeck is pretty neat.

Elves' main advantage was that people weren't prepared for it, obviously.  I'm guessing that won't happen again for a while.

The Boros Landfall deck is awesome.  Having Ghost Quarter actually synergize with the deck, in addition to all the other things it can do, is so good in this format.  This will definitely be on my radar for the rest of the season.
The problem with the living end deck is the same problem with Dredge, graveyard hate.  I think the deck needs to be white so it can play with Wispmare for those situations.

The Living End deck is pretty good actually. Since it's removal and reanimation in one package. The deck is pretty cool.

The bant deck is ok, a friend of mine has been testing it a bit, it's ok, but it feels awkward, since it's aggro, but not as good as zoo, and a bit controlling, but not as good as fae.
Website for my radio series: http://www.cyrusbalesfilms.co.uk/id2.html For the facebook group of my radio series, search for "Who will save us now?" Please join! Follow my regular articles on: http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/
what I played:

4 dark confidant

2 engineered explosives
3 repeal
3 thoughtseize
1 duress
2 smother
4 mana leak
3 muddle the mixture
4 thopter foundry
3 sword of the meek
1 time sieve
4 thirst for knowledge
2 cryptic command

3 chrome mox
1 academy ruins
1 tolaria west
1 sunken ruins
3 scalding tarn
2 watery grave
2 hallowed fountain
4 island
3 seat of the synod
4 river of tears

sb:
1 oona, queen of the fae
2 threads of disloyalty
2 deathmark
3 vendilion clique
3 extirpate
4 meddling mage

So right away, one repeal becomes one into the roil, possibly -2 cryptic +1 EE +1 muddle. Definitely needs more testing, but thopters are the next level. I'm very convinced of this and have been for a while. The tezz shell is good and all, don't get me wrong, but the added draw engine of confidant plus access to discard is rather nutty and will flat out steal games.