Figurines of Wondrous Power

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Well, I am just going to ask it: Will it break my game considerably if I were to give one of these bad lads to every member of my five-person group?

I am a huge Drizzt fan and these all sound like Guen to me! I just want to hear one of my members say, "Come to me, my shadow," or something sweet like that when they call to it.

I am totally on board with these new toys. What do you think? Break? Not so much? One at a time?
Find a cool way through your story to hand them out. Rob did a great job on the article and I think they will add value to your campaign. Let us know how it goes!
Matt James Freelance Game Designer Loremaster.org

Follow me on Twitter!
I have always been a huge fan of figurines of wondrous power, through every edition. I'll be handing these out a lot more in my game as my players move into the paragon tier. They really feel like a special magical device; much more character than a simple +2 dagger or an amulet of health.
Yeah, I'm going to be handing them out to my players through story elements. I'm just not sure if they're going to all of a sudden be more powerful than they should be! They all love that, though. My players, that is. There is nothing that makes this group more happy than getting some new loot.

I'm pretty sure that, as long as I don't homebrew the figurines, that my game won't all of a sudden be broken.

There's no feasible way for me to hand these out where the story is at right now. Perhaps in a few weeks, though. I will definitely post my results!

For the campaign I want to run, I actually intend to let players have something like this as a background artifact.  And not just limited to FoWP, I'm inspired by Slayers, so Campaign frequency high level spells and magic swords that become +5 a daily.  As long as you pay attention and adjust encounters if they're having way a too easy a time.

But please, let us know how it goes.

The Bruce Campbell of D&D.
Yeah, I'm going to be handing them out to my players through story elements. I'm just not sure if they're going to all of a sudden be more powerful than they should be! They all love that, though. My players, that is. There is nothing that makes this group more happy than getting some new loot.

A figurine is not more broken than any other magic item of its level. Even mount figurines (that get "free" actions while mounted) are ok. They are fragile being that you cannot heal in a normal way and that can only be summoned once per day.

Of course, if your whole party summones them at the same time they may have one or two easier battles, but you can easily ballance that if you see it's becoming too much.