How many LFR characters do you have?

71 posts / 0 new
Last post
It seems to me that LFR is suited to a style of play where each player has a multitude of different characters. 

I feel like you need to have a ton of characters in order to play all the new mods coming out (and not have to say "Oh, that's a 1-4 mod.  My characters leveled out so I can't play.").  My group loves the challenge of high tier but hates getting so much XP because that means we'll level up faster and have to start a new character sooner.

How many LFR characters do you have?  Also, is the fact that each person has a bunch of different LFR characters a bad thing?

Lori Anderson

WotC Freelancer, LFR author

@LittleLorika

Dragon Magazine #412: Unearthed Arcana: Ships in Your Campaign

Calimshan Adventures (LFR): CALI3-3, CALI4-1, and QUES4-1

Epic Adventures (LFR): EPIC5-1 and EPIC5-3

Other LFR Adventures: NETH4-1, ADCP5-2, and MYTH6-3

In the group I play with regularly, each player has 8 - 11 LFR characters.  The person who DMs for us frequently "only" has 7 LFR characters.  I personally have 9 LFR characters (plus 1 character in a campaign): levels 14, 13, 11, 9, 9, 5, 4, 2, and 1.

(We play once a week, occassionally twice a week.  Once or twice a year we might have a marathon weekend where we just play a ton of D&D all weekend - like our own personal mini-convention.) 

We call it our "stable" of characters.  We've even almost given up using our characters names when we pre-muster online.  People will say "I'm bringing Bob (level 11 Fighter/Dreadnought)" or just "I'm bringing my 10th level paladin."

I think it's unfortunate for everyone to have so many characters.  It's hard enough for me to remember what each of MY 10 characters can do, much less what anyone else's characters can do (or what their names are).  I've also given up taking unusual items/feats for my characters that only work in certain circumstances (even if it's a great item that would work well with my build) just because I have so many characters that I'll never remember I have it.  I had had enough near-the-end-of-the-session moments where I said "Shoot!  I have Resist 1 ALL!  I've forgotten that this entire time!!" or "Oh yeah!  This is the character that can reroll their damage dice on 1s and 2s...  I wish I had remembered that 3 hours ago!" 

And forget about personality...  In the beginning of LFR I wrote a detailed backstory for each of my characters and tried to figure out what their personality was and how to roleplay them.  Now I frequently have to look at the Alignment line on my character sheet to remember what "Character #7" thinks about the law.  (That's a little bit of an exaggeration - my characters aren't all without personality..., but still.)  I've found that myself and others I play with usually come up with a memorable personality quirk or one-line phrase for each of their characters just so they're not totally boring, but that that's about as developed as their personality gets.

And not to mention all the jumping around you do from region to region in LFR...  It's hard to keep a storyline/personality/backstory straight.  A lot of times a session will begin with "So, who played MOD X-X with this character?" with the response from everyone being "Oh! I definitely played that mod!  Wait, you mean with this character?  Oh, I have no idea.  Hold on, let me check.  Yup, it says my character played that mod.  And I have the emnity of [random NPC X].  Huh, I must have pissed him off, whoever he is." 

This is only exacerbated by the fact that many people (at least those who play LFR as much as we do) replay mods over and over.  Since we have so many mods available to us now at least it's not as bad as when the campaign was brand new (there are some early mods I've replayed 5 or 6 times).  But it's still hard to remember how Character Y experienced Mod X-X versus that other time you played Mod X-X with Character Z or Character Q.

Is anyone else experiencing LFR-Character-Overload?

Lori Anderson

@LittleLorika

I have three LFR characters who have seen play, at levels 7, 2, and 2.  I've built a number of other L1 characters but I think it will be a while before any of them see play; we don't play quite as much LFR around here and I want to get one of my L2's into the 4-7 bracket since my L7 is on the verge of leveling out.

With only three characters, I haven't had any trouble keeping them separate, especially since each is a different role.  I'm pretty sure I'd be ok with a few more, but at 9-10 I suspect I'd start needing to keep detailed notes on each character, and I'd want to review a character in depth before playing them.

t~
It seems to me that LFR is suited to a style of play where each player has a multitude of different characters.

It's no different than other living campaigns.  LG was the same way (even though you did have some individuals who doggedly played their one character until they retired it at the level cap).

The real question is: do you want to know how many PCs we have or how many we actually play?  I have built enough PCs to kill half a forest in character sheets, but I currently actively play a small handful of them.  6 I think.
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
I'm currently sitting at five played characters and a stable of unplayed level ones. I wanted to have at least one character of each role.

One played character was specifically made for the mini campaign, but has only played in mini 1-1. Not sure if I'll ever get him through the rest. He's on indefinite leave I guess. Break glass in case of MINI.

Another character, a genasi swordmage, isn't really doing it for me, so I guess he'll get sent to the attic. I have a dwarven fighter rolled up that I think may better satisfy my defender niche.

That leaves me with my original human cleric, my human wizard, and my half orc barbarian (who is the funnest for me to role play).

My list of actives will probably grow if someone's running an adventure at our local meetup that my other characters have already played.

-Sartredes
I've got 4 main characters that see a lot of play. 2 defenders, 1 leader/controller, and a striker. 12, 12, 6, and 2. I'll probably do a hybrid character once PHB 3 comes out in March - but I wanted to see what the hybrid options for some of the new classes were(if any)

For me, it is important that each character have a strong hook, something that people at a convention can easily get in seconds. My Paladin is a pathological liar, claims all other PCs are his hirelings, but other than that, a generally good guy. My Tiefling Bard thinks he's a human under a curse and often makes odd comments where he clearly thinks he's human. My Fighter uses Charisma as her primary attack stat and has unusually good odd skills for a Fighter(Streetwise, Intimidate, and Heal in particular) - she's mean, don't get in her way. My Barbarian is this noble who clearly went through some kind of traumatic experience - he's dressed in once-fancy clothing that is mostly rags, is a hypochondriac, and has anger management issues. And he wields a short sword and broadsword as his primary weapons.

Each of them can do little actions that quickly establish who they are in terms of personality and people don't tend to forget them.

I think it's unfortunate for everyone to have so many characters.  It's hard enough for me to remember what each of MY 10 characters can do, much less what anyone else's characters can do (or what their names are).  I've also given up taking unusual items/feats for my characters that only work in certain circumstances (even if it's a great item that would work well with my build) just because I have so many characters that I'll never remember I have it.  I had had enough near-the-end-of-the-session moments where I said "Shoot!  I have Resist 1 ALL!  I've forgotten that this entire time!!" or "Oh yeah!  This is the character that can reroll their damage dice on 1s and 2s...  I wish I had remembered that 3 hours ago!"

I find it's really helpful to have power cards that I wrote up myself, on index cards, instead of using the ones from Character Builder.  Including a card for each magic item that has a property or power that I might forget about, and one card full of notes for those situational things like resists, defense/attack/damage bonuses on action points/while bloodied/with prime shot etc.  It takes about 30-60 minutes to make up cards for each character, and 5-10 min. when they level up.

I'm up to 5 characters now since I started playing LFR last March, at levels 15, 14, 13, 8 and 2; I've been playing P1s heavily since November, and not so much of the lower level stuff.
7 (levels 14, 11, 10, 7, 5, 3, 2) played, though two aren't really likely to see much attention and one is slightly trapped in MINI Limbo. I've DMed a bunch and I've actually not played as much since Gen Con or I'm pretty sure I'd have at least one more on there.
Keith Richmond Living Forgotten Realms Epic Writing Director
I have 7 characters (14, 10, 8, 3, 2, 1, 1) one of whom is also stuck in MINI-wait. I believe I'll probably have an 8th PC soon with PHB 3 coming out, but most of my play is on the top 3 chars. I'll get to 15th soon on my highest character, just in time for the P2s.
I had 6, but I realized that since I only play once or twice a week, it'll take me forever to get any of them to paragon.  So I recently killed two of them off, and I'm going to throw in a dragonborn runepriest when PHB 3 comes out. 

My character levels are 6, 5, 4, and 3, (and soon, 1) and it's a pretty good mix of roles and power sources (1 leader, 2 strikers, 1 defender, one controller) (1 arcane, 1 martial, 1 divine, 1 primal, and 1 shadow).
Gamma World Origins Half-Sheets: Horizontal (FiFG) Vertical (GW) FiFG coming soon
It's no different than other living campaigns.  LG was the same way

To this extent?

Late in the campaign, okay, but by Winter Fantasy 2002 (the equivalent point in that campaign), my recollection is that most people had a primary character they played.  You might have a 1st character that had fallen by the wayside (and wasn't played that much any more) and certainly might have a vast array of 1st level PCs that hadn't been developed that much yet, but at that point in the campaign, if you sat down at a table with a player you had played with before, it was very likely that he would be playing the same character you had met previously.

Hardcore players who maxed out their TUs, sure; they'd have perhaps three PCs by this point, though even then, odds were they'd be split in some intelligible way (a PC played in just one region, for example).  Serious players who weren't as hardcore (say, people playing 24 times a year)?  By this point in the campaign cycle, they would have had one primary character and maybe a few 1st level experiments.  Their LFR equivalent is likely to have four PCs of 2nd level+.
LFR: 5 characters, one is MINI only. So four regular characters: 12, 8, 6, 3. And I almost never get to play the 12 (hint - he hit twelve at DDXP 09 ...) so it's effectively three characters. I also have 3-4 characters I have played one and will not play again. In LG the answer was also three. At the end I had a level 9 monk/ranger, a 7 warmage and a 5 dwarf barbarian. Also a host of characters I had played once and never played again. I might also have had a character I made for a CORE series and never used elsewhere.

In LFR it is helpful to have a character in each band, but generally I play the character that makes the most role-playing sense. My outdoorsy warden I play in things that seem outdoors, my bard in investigative and criminal stuff, and my avenger when the light of Ammaunator needs to be brought to the godless. Also they play any home region adventures they can. Funnily enough, this was exactly the same thing I did in LG. My monk/ranger wanted to find god and so would play anything religious (yes, he did the whole cup & talisman thing ...) and my warmage was an ambitious SOB who played anything likely to increase his status in the world. My dwarf barbarian played illicit and mercenary mods. My preference is to play things a character has a reason to play, and even if it were feasible to play a single character in a living campaign, I don't think I would. For me it's fun to have a choice between playing a dour traditionalist, a drow who believes she may be irredeemably banned, Swamp Thing, and a confused zealot. That's the reason I have four LFR characters -- I try and keep them tiered apart, yes, but that's secondary to having a character fit the plot.
I have 2 LFR characters. The first is a level 3 human paladin and the second is a level 2 eladrin wizard. If I stopped DMing so much and spent more time as a player I would be sporting something a little more impressive.
It's no different than other living campaigns.  LG was the same way

To this extent?

Sure.  Granted, yes, LFR has more mods so it's likely to see more characters than in LG, but yeah, I had 4 LG characters that saw regular play and I never maxed out TUs and only ever played Cores and my regions mods.  I started at the end of 2002, but I had at least 3 PCs playing by the end of my first year.  Granted, my highest level PC was 9... maybe 10.  I don't remember.  Those 4 are 4 of the 6 I play in LFR.

Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf

I feel like you need to have a ton of characters in order to play all the new mods coming out (and not have to say "Oh, that's a 1-4 mod.  My characters leveled out so I can't play.").  My group loves the challenge of high tier but hates getting so much XP because that means we'll level up faster and have to start a new character sooner.

How many LFR characters do you have?  Also, is the fact that each person has a bunch of different LFR characters a bad thing?

Two!
Twelve, at levels: 13, 11, 11, 7, 7, 5, 5, 4, 4, 3, 3, 2

My current favourites are at levels Barbarian 13, Bard 7, and Ranger 3.

I also have one premade PC of each remaining class, unplayed along with an occasional second of the same class of an alternate build.
I have 4 characters: 11, 8, 5, 3

I will eventually replace those 4 with 1-2 hybrids (completly abandoning the original 4)
Wil (12), Grog (5), Pock (2), and Ansis (1).  In addition, I have Kellem who I have not yet played but expect to, and Elkantar who I played once and abandoned.  Pock may not see too much play time, but the other 4 will...

Grog and Pock have the clearest personality.  Wil is a collection of build elements, and Ansis hasn't had enough play time to develop anything.

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

LFR: 5 characters, one is MINI only. So four regular characters: 12, 8, 6, 3. And I almost never get to play the 12 (hint - he hit twelve at DDXP 09 ...) so it's effectively three characters.

We're *trying* to get characters up to Paragon so Sigbert has someone to play with again! Sealed  (Graham and I play together regularly.)

I've got 5 active characters, at 9, 6, 5, 3, and 2 (my MINI character). 

I have been trying to have at least one character option available in each level band.  I'll probably make up another character when PHB3 comes out, but our group is probably not going to play many H1 modules in the forseeable future (other than the MINI arc), so I'll be focusing on my 9th and 5th level PCs, in all likelihood.
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"
I have a 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 7, 7, 7, 6, 5, 4, 4, 3, 3, 2, and 2.

I attribute this to people unwilling to play a leader or defender class.
I ended LC with 16 characters and LG with 20.  For LFR, I only have a paltry 10.  So far.

I had six characters in LG after one year, needing to play #5 and #6 because of running out of time units.  I only created one more in 2002, and started creating more characters in 2003 and beyond mostly due to introductory modules.

LC characters were mostly created due to wanting to try out different character concepts.

LFR is more like LG, where new characters need to be created to play certain modules.  Mostly, that means a new 1st level to play 1-4s once all characters are 5th level, or a new 1st to replay when my existing 1-4s have played a particular module.  I did create a new character for the mini.

I attribute this to you haveing a hell of a lot more play opportunities than I do. 

I attribute this to you haveing a hell of a lot more play opportunities than I do. 

That's an average of about 300+ games of LFR played so, yeah, a hellalot more. That's the equivalent of playing some 4 rounds of LFR every week since it has come out. I'm lucky if I get one.
Well, that's a good point. But someone can depending on where they live.

BEFORE I got laid off work, my FLGS does a slot zero round every Tuesday for DMs who run mods on the 3rd Saturday of every month. Each DM runs at least 1 slot out of two. Occassionally there is a Wednesday game at the same FLGS. The 1st Saturday of every month is another game day at another FLGS across town with three time slots in which I at least run a mod in the first slot before 2 slots of gaming. Then you have the Saturday and/or Sunday of gaming at a friend's house/home/apt once a month. Then you add in conventions with midnight and morning madness.

You might say that's a lot of gaming while working a steady 40 hours a week. Hell, I still had plenty of time for family and a home campaign.
I've got three: level 5, level 8, level 11. I'm working on a new first-level character now. I try to create a new character every time I jump a tier.

That's an average of about 300+ games of LFR played so, yeah, a hellalot more. That's the equivalent of playing some 4 rounds of LFR every week since it has come out. I'm lucky if I get one.

Hibiki, you're missing a level 8 character and a level 1 character!  ;)  You need to level one of those 7's up and start a new character, so you can have at least one at EVERY level.  Because you clearly don't have enough characters. 

Lori Anderson

@LittleLorika

I'm planning to abandom some of those characters in the future. Everyone wants to play a striker, controller or a useless pacifist cleric. All my favorite characters that I enjoy playing the most are already in paragon or 9th and up.

With Hybrids out most of my H1 characters will get a lot of play to make up for their cheese.
You might say that's a lot of gaming while working a steady 40 hours a week. Hell, I still had plenty of time for family and a home campaign.

I hate you...

I'm lucky if the wife doesn't bitch at me for playign one day a month.

(BTW, the I hate you part was sarcastic ... sort of... dun dun dunnnnnnn!  (maybe it's really envy))

I hate you...

You're weak.

Why?

Because you lack.... hatred...

itachi.jpg

*whistles innocently*

I have a 16, 14, 12, 11, 9, 8, 8, 6, 4, 3, 2, 2 and a 1, Then there are 2 unplayed level ones that I really do actually want to play.  So 13 played 2 waiting in the wings (assassin and ardent)

Teos if you're reading this can you slip a +4 cloak of survival in your next p2 mod =P
Blah blah blah

Teos if you're reading this can you slip a +4 cloak of survival in your next p2 mod =P

Oh sure, man, no problem. I totally take requests. I mean, my main tactic is to give away all the loot I wish I had, thus gaining a reason to complain at the table that someone's PC is using my stuff...

(On a serious note, a nice suggestion I heard at DDXP was that it would be cool if authors could play their own adventures but never take a bundle pick. This would prevent impropriety.)

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Oh sure, man, no problem. I totally take requests. I mean, my main tactic is to give away all the loot I wish I had, thus gaining a reason to complain at the table that someone's PC is using my stuff...

(On a serious note, a nice suggestion I heard at DDXP was that it would be cool if authors could play their own adventures but never take a bundle pick. This would prevent impropriety.)

Wasn't that in one of our discussions?  It was funny when you kept telling me "you're welcome" every time I used a cool bundle from one of your mods =)

One Thing I hope is Mearls takes the suggestions of Daily item = once a day even if you own 9 and encounter = once per encounter even if you bought 13 etc, that would be a nice change.

I honestly don't see a problem with letting authors play a mod they wrote and take a bundle myself.  It's not like replaying doesn't allow the same basic situation, and really, if an author puts an item into a mod because they'd like it on their character it's really not that big of a deal given all the "any item of xx level" bundles out there now.
And back to the quoted bit, I don't see why they don't let authors play their own mods at this point, with replaying and the like being allowed, rest 
Blah blah blah

I hate you...

I'm lucky if the wife doesn't bitch at me for playign one day a month.

(BTW, the I hate you part was sarcastic ... sort of... dun dun dunnnnnnn!  (maybe it's really envy))

Obviously you just need to get your wife to play D&D.  Wink  Years ago my husband convinced me to start playing D&D with him and now we play 1 to 4 games a week.  Smile  Sometimes I'll even let the D&D games count as "spending time with me."  Tongue out

Lori Anderson

@LittleLorika

Well, that's one of my greatest fantasies right up there with her in leather with a jar of peanut butter, two midgets and... oops...

Aheam... anyway...

I'd love that, however, my wife has a very poor opinion of gamers (which makes me wonder why she married me, and despite the fact that I play with a lot of pharmacists, lawyers, and people with PhDs), and to her the idea of "portraying someone she isn't" is anathema to her.  And me going gaming means I'm "abandoning her to be alone all day."  Sheesh.

SO now I just have to wait for my daughter to get old enough and then I have the excuse of spending time with her. 

Okay... thread derail/rant done.
Well, that's one of my greatest fantasies right up there with her in leather with a jar of peanut butter, two midgets and... oops...

Aheam... anyway...

I'd love that, however, my wife has a very poor opinion of gamers (which makes me wonder why she married me, and despite the fact that I play with a lot of pharmacists, lawyers, and people with PhDs), and to her the idea of "portraying someone she isn't" is anathema to her.  And me going gaming means I'm "abandoning her to be alone all day."  Sheesh.

SO now I just have to wait for my daughter to get old enough and then I have the excuse of spending time with her. 

Okay... thread derail/rant done.

I need to call a lawyer, I think we may be married to the same woman. Tongue out
-Sartredes
I need to call a lawyer, I think we may be married to the same woman.

I think he's married to my sister-in-law.  I definitely picked the correct sister (my wife's an avid player).
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"
I have 16 LFR characters with none of them between levels 6-12.
Matt James Freelance Game Designer Loremaster.org

Follow me on Twitter!
I have 16 LFR characters with none of them between levels 6-12.

None of mine are 15!

or 7!

or between 17-27!

At least we know who runs all the H3 mods in your play group Matt!
Blah blah blah
I have 5 characters that have seen play (13, 13, 7, 3, 1, 1), one of which is stuck in MINI-limbo.  Will probably debut a new character this month as well.
The MINI sucks. Get out of it as quickly as you can.
Seven, including a MINI character.

13/11/8/6/4/3/1

and a bunch of other 1s drawn up.

3 strikers (well, 2 strikers and a warlock), 2 leaders, 1 defender, 1 controller.