Why not savor the PHB3 early? Major spoilers for the new races and classes, plus sample characters.

134 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dragon Magazine #374 offered us our first glimpse of the Player's Handbook 3 through its playtest article covering the Wilden, a nature-themed Constitution/Wisdom race. #375 let us playtest the Centered Breath monk, a Dexterity/Wisdom-focused psionic striker/controller. #377 brought to us the Telepathy Focus psion, an Intelligence/Charisma-based psionic controller, along with the power point system. #378 showed us the updated version of the githzerai, a Dexterity/Wisdom race with a strong psionic motif. #379 unveiled the skill power system, widening the array of heroic- and paragon-tier utility powers available to any character. #380 gave us the Bloodbond seeker, a ranged weapon-wielding, Wisdom/Dexterity-centric primal controller/striker. #381 refined the monk class, gifting the class with its fully-realized potential. #382 previewed the Mantle of Clarity ardent, a melee weapon-using, Charisma/Wisdom-based leader/defender. #383 debuted the finalized rules for hybrid characters, though the changes were nothing substantial, much to the chagrin of many.

We now arrive at the home stretch to the Player's Handbook 3, which is to be released on March 16, 2010, or so Amazon.com informs me. I have had the luxury of closely perusing the three level 6 character cards that were shown to preview the Player's Handbook 3 Game Day event this March. Through analysis, reverse engineering, and educated estimates, I believe the that information that I have pieced together is enough to present to you the significant portions of the mechanical details of a certain new race, two new classes, two new class features, two new magic items, and a handful of new powers. Please accept them in the form of a .txt file within the following .zip archive:
rapidshare.com/files/342920117/PHB3_Spoi...
www.mediafire.com/download.php?3ilyjmymy...
Edit: Version 2 addresses several issues in the erroneous ardent character sheets.

To facilitate the ease of "playtesting" these classes, included in the above file are six sample level 10 characters: a greatspear-wielding half-elf Mantle of Clarity ardent, a triple flail-swinging wilden Battle Resilience battlemind, a fullblade-sporting githzerai Centered Breath monk, a staff-using tiefling Telepathy Focus psion, a greatspear-toting warforged Wrathful Hammer runepriest, and a superior crossbow-slinging elf Bloodbond seeker. These characters are all fairly optimized. There was, alas, no room for a shardmind Kinetic Focus psion that could match up to a Telepathy Focus psion. Multiclass power swap feats were necessary for the battlemind and the runepriest, which may skew their expected effectiveness to some extent, and liberties were taken with the trained skills for these two classes as well. The battlemind's non-AC defense bonus was assumed to be +1 Fortitude, +1 Reflex, +1 Will. As I am profoundly inept at crafting conventional character sheets, you shall have to make do with a .txt format for these as well, though both comprehensive and truncated versions of the aforementioned sheets are contained herein. Feel free to use and/or customize them as you wilt.

Moving back to the topic of the new options, I am not comfortable with assessing this material through CharOp-style ratings, as I believe that that such should be reserved for the true release of the Player's Handbook 3. That said, passing preliminary judgment based on what has been seen is certainly possible:

Race: Shardmind: The level 1, post-racial ability score array of the previewed shardmind Kinetic Focus psion is Strength 8, Constitution 13, Dexterity 10, Intelligence 19, Wisdom 17, Charisma 10. That, of course, clearly shows that the shardmind is an Intelligence/Wisdom race, thereby shattering all hopes for a Constitution/Intelligence player race. Though this race receives bonuses to the two (supposedly) most useful skills in the system, psychic resistance, two bonus languages, telepathy, and the benefits that being a living construct grants, it is ultimately a so-so race from a mechanical perspective. It is difficult for the shardmind to match up to the over-the-top racial features and racial encounter power of its competition, the deva. However, it occurs to me that Wizards may just present this race in a manner akin to that of the changeling in the Eberron Player's Guide, that is, as a race with +2 Intelligence that can then pick between +2 Constitution and +2 Wisdom. I dearly desire for this to be the case.

Class: Battlemind: A defender class with Constitution as its primary ability score would show much promise, but a close inspection reveals that its defender features, Battlemind's Demand, Blurred Step, and Mind Spike establish it as little more than a psionic clone of the fighter. Though it wields a swordmage-esque mark in the form of Battlemind's Demand, perhaps even mimicking Double Aegis with a power point spent, swordmage tactics cannot be applied due to the class's abysmal "stickiness", forcing the battlemind to remain adjacent to the marked enemy. An enemy shifting away from a fighter to charge or perform a ranged/area attack receives a melee basic attack as thanks, but all the battlemind can do with Blurred Step is shift along with it (or perhaps not if difficult terrain is present), not attacking due to her opportunity action having been devoured. Mind Spike inflicts more damage than Combat Challenge on average when it works, but since it requires the enemy to deal damage, enemies shall go unpunished for attacking an ally half of the time, and this is a reaction rather than an interrupt as well. The class lacking a Constitution-based melee basic attack is another nail in its coffin. Terrible. Iron Fist is an extremely potent at-will power, however, and perhaps the second of the two battlemind builds shall show more promise.

Class: Runepriest: I am not quite certain of the flavor role that this class is intended to fill, given that clerics can already bring to bear glyph- and sigil-themed powers such as Righteous Brand, Rune of Peace, and Seal of Binding. The Wrathful Hammer runepriest build before us, which is a Strength/Constitution-based melee weapon-wielder, is an irreproachable beast. Its Rune Master class feature allows it to adapt to the situation at hand, enabling alpha strikes and offensives with Destruction, and promoting cautious safekeeping with Protection. The Wrathful Hammer class feature itself renders it a dire prospect to ever lay a hand on the runepriest, for the bonus to damage rolls that it grants the character is potent and untyped (therefore stacking with itself), which grows even crueler when marking is involved. It should also be noted that Flames of Purity is an encounter power that provides a modest amount of surgeless healing, which may lead to out-of-combat chicanery and surge-s****. Both runes of the Word of Diminishment at-will power are overwhelmingly effective as well. With a class as spectacular as this, I do eagerly await the second runepriest build. By the way, this is a divine class without forced training in Religion, which is a first. I do find the prospect of a warforged runepriest/Warpriest to be intriguing both by virtue of both its marking and its silly name.

Psion Class Feature: Kinetic Focus: I foresee an ill future for this class build. The Telepathy Focus psion is the substantially more well-supported build, thanks to options such as the Mindwarp Staff of Unfailing Talent (see below), Resplendent Gloves, the Phrenic Crown, and the Psychic Lock paragon feat. Additionally, Will has been statistically proven (through analyses of the Monster Manual and the Monster Manual 2) to be the lowest of the three non-AC defenses on average, with Fortitude and Reflex, of course, being the higher ones that the Kinetic Focus psion tends to attack. Kinetic Trawl and Force Hammer are underwhelming at-will powers as well.

Ardent Class Feature: Mantle of Elation: The difference in durability between a Mantle of Elation ardent and a Mantle of Clarity ardent is the distinction between night and day, and that, I believe, is what sets apart the former build as the superior one overall. A bonus to damage rolls for opportunity attacks is somewhat less valuable than a bonus to defenses against opportunity attacks, however, but Constitution as the secondary score for the Mantle of Elation outweighs that. A level 11 half-elf Mantle of Elation ardent/bard/Half-Elf Emissary with Constitution 19+2, Charisma 21+2, the Widened Mantle paragon feat, and a speculative ardent "Improved Mantle of Elation" (SAIMOE, for shot) heroic feat, similar to the Clarified Instincts heroic feat, might just be able to grant a +6 racial bonus to Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, and Streetwise checks and a +4 untyped bonus to Diplomacy and Intimidate checks to all allies within 10 feet.

Ardent At-Will Power 1: Demoralizing Strike: Imposing a -2 penalty to all defenses with a single at-will power is quite powerful, especially in comparison to, say, the bard's Guiding Strike. Its augment 2, while ally-unfriendly, can send the defenses of a close burst 1 of enemies spiraling downwards.

Seeker At-Will Power 1: Grappling Spirits: A ranged basic attack that slows the target and denies it shifting is wonderful.

Magic Staff: Mindwarp Staff of Unfailing Talent: A less costly Staff of Ruin that affects only psychic powers, and psionic characters receive a conditional bonus to extra critical damage as well. An alternative item tax for Telepathy Focus psions, Virtue of Cunning bards, and certain types of wizards.

As an aside, allow me to meticulously showcase several errors that I had noted down in the Player's Handbook 3 Game Day sample characters:

• The ardent's Mantle of Elation should grant a +4 bonus (his Constitution modifier) to damage rolls, not +3. Also, the defense targeted by his Adrenaline Strike daily power is not listed down.

• The battlemind is lacking a total of 4 or 5 points of non-AC defenses, as the +2 Reflex from her heavy shield and the battlemind non-AC defense bonuses were not factored in.

• The monk should have either 47 hit points without Toughness or 52 hit points with Toughness, not 58. Additionally, she should have either 7 healing surges without Durable or 9 healing surges with Durable, not 11. Furthermore, her ability scores add up to a mere 20-point buy.

• The psion's Forceful Push encounter class feature is reported to have been intended to be used as a minor action, not as a free action.

• The runepriest should have Reflex 16, not 15, as the +1 Reflex from his light shield was not taken into account. Additionally, his hit points should be either 55 without Toughness or 60 with Toughness, not 49.

• The seeker should have either 8 healing surges without Durable or 10 healing surges without Durable, not an inexplicable 12.

That is all. Feel free to discuss these detailed revelations, perhaps offering corrections should an error be identified.
However, it occurs to me that Wizards may just present this race in a manner akin to that of the changeling in the Eberron Player's Guide, that is, as a race with +2 Intelligence that can then pick between +2 Constitution and +2 Wisdom. I dearly desire for this to be the case.

I am be more than willing to bet that you will be sorely disappointed, so I suggest you just go ahead get over it now.

I've said it to many home-brewers in the past, and I'll say it again to speculators. The Changeling doesn't get to do what it gets to do just because the developers realized that it was a viable mechanic. The entirety of the Changeling's racial flavor is based on adaptability and flexibility, and the flexible ability score boost is a thematic extension of that. Granting the same feature to another race is exactly the same from a thematic point of view as giving Dwarves radiant resistance or racial bow proficiency. Sure, it's balanced and mechanically viable, but it's not going to happen, because it doesn't make any thematic sense.

I think you'd be much better off hoping that they're just +2 CON / +2 INT and that whoever created the sample character just messed up their point buy. After all, if I recall correctly, that has happened before.
EDIT: That or hope that it's a "split" race like Shifters, I guess...

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!

Psion Class Feature: Kinetic Focus: I foresee an ill future for this class build. The Telepathy Focus psion is the substantially more well-supported build, thanks to options such as the Mindwarp Staff of Unfailing Talent (see below), Resplendent Gloves, the Phrenic Crown, and the Psychic Lock paragon feat. Additionally, Will has been statistically proven (through analyses of the Monster Manual and the Monster Manual 2) to be the lowest of the three non-AC defenses on average, with Fortitude and Reflex, of course, being the higher ones that the Kinetic Focus psion tends to attack. Kinetic Trawl and Force Hammer are underwhelming at-will powers as well.

Because we already know what every single feat, power, PP, ED, and magic item in PHB3 and Psionic Power will be, right?
The Shardmind, considering how ridiculously amazingly good, will only be Int/Wis. There will be no opions; do you see how amazing it is already?
Agreed.  While a Con/Int would have been preferrable, Int/Wis gives us other great options for the class that solidifies it with the Divine, rather than the Arcane, considering it's an Immortal creature like the Deva.  I'm a bit worried though that both Immortal races are Int/Wis, but the Shardmind is so different from the Deva in terms of Warforged-esque Living Construct stuff that it should be okay.

Also, remember, while it might not be advantaged as a Battlemind, it will be optimal in the Telekinetic Psion build.  I immediately think of G-Bits / D.R.A.G.O.O.N.s / Moebius Zero as inspiration for a Telekinetic construct character – a character that can control many other weapons from afar to attack simultaneously.  Shardmind seems to also emphasis this with Shard Swarm, and I like the feel that name points to.

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

So, is there a reason people want a Con/Int race other than 'there isn't one'?  Sounds like Martial Controller all over again ...
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
If you want the shardmind to be a Con/Int race, then make it so! WotC hasn't banned house ruling yet.
So, is there a reason people want a Con/Int race other than 'there isn't one'?  Sounds like Martial Controller all over again ...

Certain swordmage, conjurer wizards, artificers, and starlocks would certainly appreciate it...

Overall, this sounds like a very Hit Or Miss handbook.  Half the classes sound awesome, and I'd play them in a heartbeat.  The other half sounds trite, uninspired copypasta from old themes with a dull twist slapped on them.

It doesn't help that this is the third handbook with divine classes, hence the reason the shadow source is waiting another year, yet from the looks of it, the runepriest is just What The Strength Cleric Should Have Been.  Nor the drain on class space to allow the Hybrid rules.  Nor the fact that they can't even give some of their ideas interesting names, let alone make them more than "Like this martial class, but with PSI!"
If you want the shardmind to be a Con/Int race, then make it so! WotC hasn't banned house ruling yet.

You didn't hear about the upcoming errata? They're banning all non-official rules!

But no seriously, we might or might not houserule it, depending on what we actually see of them in the PHB3. We've already houseruled Deva and Kalashtar both as +Wis, +Int/Cha races for campaign flavour reasons, and Genasi too, so we're not above changing stuff.

Can be good for some types of Swordmage builds, also I would love one for my artificer as con/int is what I need to be the non-summoning model of artificer.

Can be good for some types of Swordmage builds, also I would love one for my artificer as con/int is what I need to be the non-summoning model of artificer.

Warrior Forge desires Int/Wis, no summons.  But yeah, Con/Int would still be appreciated.

Warrior Forge desires Int/Wis, no summons.  But yeah, Con/Int would still be appreciated.

I think Archangel meant Battlesmith rather than Warrior Forge, Ritter.  But Tinkerers too like Con/Int – They just are slightly better with Int/Wis, and they still are manageable with Con/Wis (considering that Summons play off HP, and thus +Con means better summons).

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

I am very very disappointed that they didn't give telepath psions telepathy at -will and telekinetic psions at-will minor telekinesis......

"Hi I am a telepath but I can only talk to you telepathically once per every minutes!".........Fail

I am currently in a campaign where I play a kalashtar sorcerer and we have a warforged psion....my kalashtar does a much better job communicating with the party than the warforged.....I feel bad as I feel I am really stealing the thunder away from the Psion....

Really don't like the Shardmind either.....would rather they had made feats to add to a warforged to make it more psionic instead

I really hope they at least have some cool psionic oriented rituals......preferably where you spend healing surges instead of ritual components.

Meh. I don't think that 'these builds would appreciate bonus stats' is sufficient reason to give a race those stats.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Meh. I don't think that 'these builds would appreciate bonus stats' is sufficient reason to give a race those stats.

Perhaps, but it certainly is an incentive to think up a race around that theme, rather than Another Dex/Wis race, etc.

Of course, this would all be solved if they released........Horseshoecrabfolk!  Laughing

If your going to insist on a better reason, how about I'd love a race of "Genius Bruiser" big (CON) intelligent (INT) yet gentle (not STR) creatures for their fun story dynamic. 
Unfortunately, we just got another Dex/Wis race and another Str/Con race in Dark Sun

I.e. Thri-kreen backworked as Dex/Wis, Mul as Str/Con.

Of course, this would all be solved if they released........Horseshoecrabfolk! 

I am still eagerly awaiting these.

Afterall: Craaaaab people, Craaaaab people, etc etc.
Feedback Disclaimer
Yes, I am expressing my opinions (even complaints - le gasp!) about the current iteration of the play-test that we actually have in front of us. No, I'm not going to wait for you to tell me when it's okay to start expressing my concerns (unless you are WotC). (And no, my comments on this forum are not of the same tone or quality as my actual survey feedback.)
A Psion for Next (Playable Draft) A Barbarian for Next (Brainstorming Still)
Unfortunately, we just got another Dex/Wis race and another Str/Con race in Dark Sun

I.e. Thri-kreen backworked as Dex/Wis, Mul as Str/Con.

What's unfortunate about that? Those stat pairings fit both races better then any other, considering their fluff.
What's unfortunate about that? Those stat pairings fit both races better then any other, considering their fluff.

I have to agree. I'd rather that races have the ability score boosts that fit them best thematically and not just have specific mechanical combination for the sake of having a spceific mechanical combination. I'm really more a fan of coming up with a concept (race, class, or even a specific character!) and then attributing mechanics to that concept instead of the other way around...
I can see why some might prefer the other way, however, so I won't press the issue. I just think that DEX/WIS is fine for the Thri-Kreen and that STR/CON is fine for the Mul and that there wasn't any particular reason to add in a new CON/INT race to Dark Sun.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!

I have to agree. I'd rather that races have the ability score boosts that fit them best thematically and not just have specific mechanical combination for the sake of having a spceific mechanical combination. I'm really more a fan of coming up with a concept (race, class, or even a specific character!) and then attributing mechanics to that concept instead of the other way around...
I can see why some might prefer the other way, however, so I won't press the issue. I just think that DEX/WIS is fine for the Thri-Kreen and that STR/CON is fine for the Mul and that there wasn't any particular reason to add in a new CON/INT race to Dark Sun.

Oh, don't get me wrong.  I think that Dex/Wis for Thri-kreen and Str/Con for Mul are the right choices, thematically.  It's just from the perspective of a player who really wants races of less-supported ability-score bonuses, it's a bit unfortunate.

I want another Str/Cha race.  I want another Str/Wis race.  I want another Con/Cha race.  I want another Str/Dex race.  I want another Dex/Con race, and another class and/or build that will support it.  I want Con/Int more than anything, because I want a race that will be the best at certain builds of the Swordmage, Artificer, Wizard, and Warlock.  Right now, I don't have that.  Right now, it doesn't look like I'll be getting that in 2010.  Any of that. 

On the other hand, I'm really happy for another Int/Wis race.  While I might be slightly upset for what Shardmind COULD have been, I'm REALLY happy that we got a second Int/Wis race.  There's so many cool optimal options for an Int/Wis race, and a even more really good Advantaged ones too.  I'm really happy for that.

I'm really happy to get another Con/Wis race.  It makes sense really – Divine and Primal both draw on those ability scores heavily.  I'm really happy to get Wilden.

I'm really happy to get Thri-kreen in ANY form.  I was hoping it might be Str/Wis or Str/Dex, but Dex/Wis makes more sense from a Tactile perspective.

I'm really happy to get Psionics, especially the Ardent and Battlemind.  I'm really happy to get new builds of Fighter, Warlock, and Shaman in Dark Sun.  I'm really happy to get Hybrid-Classes, though I don't know if I'll use them anytime soon.  I'm really happy to get new powers associated with skills.  I'm really happy to get a new build of the Fighter, two of the Ranger, one of the Rogue, and two of the Warlord in Martial Power 2.  I'm also really happy that there will be new builds and powers in the Red-Box's expansions, since we'll be seeing more of classic classes in those.

So a slight upset of having 4 Dex/Wis races and 4 Str/Con races when there's only 1 of many other races and 0 Int/Con races is like a drop in the bucket compared to all the other happinesses that WotC has brought me this year.

You have some dex/con races

Revenant

Gnoll

and Kobold when it is one day made official-official rather than just MM >_<

MAKE THE KOBOLD ALREADY, DAMMIT WOTC!

edit:  here's to hoping shardminds can somehow also be int/con
I think the reason why people are so attached to the Shardmind having Int/Con, is because its the one race who, without knowing their fluff, by shear appearance look like they could be a plausible Int/Con race. The fact they share traits with warforged also makes one wonder why there isn't con in there.
I think the reason why people are so attached to the Shardmind having Int/Con, is because its the one race who, without knowing their fluff, by shear appearance look like they could be a plausible Int/Con race. The fact they share traits with warforged also makes one wonder why there isn't con in there.

+1

+1

+2

+1

+2

+3

+1

+2

+3

+4

....I like bandwagons, sue me.

+1

+2

+3

+4

....I like bandwagons, sue me.

+5

....I'd sue you, but I like bandwagons too.
Muls are apparently +2 Con/ +2 Str or Wis.

forum.rpg.net/showpost.php?p=11612948&po...

I don't use twitter, so I have no idea where the tweets he refers to are to link instead.

forum.rpg.net/showpost.php?p=11612948&po...

I don't use twitter, so I have no idea where the tweets he refers to are to link instead.

This could be a reflection of the half human part of their heritage given them some versatility. But if this is really true it gives credance to the +int/ +wis or +con for the shardmind. It in no way gives us any reason to believe it, just making the ability to choose not quite such a corner case anymore. I would love to see an int/con race. I would have liked to see more versatility from the racial stats of the PHB3 races in genral.

Runepriest- want the fluff, looks interesting, maybe a divine class I'm willing to play besides the paladin(pocket cases only)

Battlemind- Looking interesting, love psionics, love defenders, will likely love this

Shardmind- Looking forward to these guys, an interesting race to throw alongside a warforged

PHB3 is looking to be on the top of my buy list.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project

Class: Battlemind: A defender class with Constitution as its primary ability score would show much promise, but a close inspection reveals that its defender features, Battlemind's Demand, Blurred Step, and Mind Spike establish it as little more than a psionic clone of the fighter. Though it wields a swordmage-esque mark in the form of Battlemind's Demand, perhaps even mimicking Double Aegis with a power point spent, swordmage tactics cannot be applied due to the class's abysmal "stickiness", forcing the battlemind to remain adjacent to the marked enemy. An enemy shifting away from a fighter to charge or perform a ranged/area attack receives a melee basic attack as thanks, but all the battlemind can do with Blurred Step is shift along with it (or perhaps not if difficult terrain is present), not attacking due to her opportunity action having been devoured. Mind Spike inflicts more damage than Combat Challenge on average when it works, but since it requires the enemy to deal damage, enemies shall go unpunished for attacking an ally half of the time, and this is a reaction rather than an interrupt as well. The class lacking a Constitution-based melee basic attack is another nail in its coffin. Terrible. Iron Fist is an extremely potent at-will power, however, and perhaps the second of the two battlemind builds shall show more promise.

I don't think I could disagree more with your evaluation of the battlemind.  It has the greatest range for a marking power (burst 3 instead of 2), and Mind Spike is easily a match for Combat Challenge because Mind Spike always hits.  High-level elite or solo soldier monsters can sometimes ignore the fighter by virtue of a high AC, but they ignore the battlemind knowing that if they do hit a different PC, they're taking exactly what they give.

The lack of a con-based basic attack is an issue (correctable with a feat), but is offset by the ability to have a 20-con defender at 1st level.  Combine that with the already-mentioned potency of Iron Fist, as well as the Battle Resilience power, and I think that battlemind will give any other defender a run for its money.

Battlemind is CON primary eh? ^_______^

I smell a kobold battlemind in the works O_O MUAHAHAHAHA
Yeah, see, I don't get where the lack of a Con based BA is coming from.  From my understanding, everyone who's seen the Battlemind has only seen pre-made characters, not a full class entry.  How do we know the Battlemind doesn't have a Con BA from that?  We all know pre-mades are pretty poorly planned out.  For all any of us know, the person who made the Battlemind characters just didn't choose that power. 

Considering that the majoirty of classes now have BAs based on their prime stat when that stat isn't Str or Dex, it seems pretty far fetched to me that the Battlemind has absolutely no Con BAs.  And in the very remote off chance that it doesn't, Psionic Power is coming out in August (I think it's August).  If the PHB3 doesn't have a Con BA, then PsiP will.
does swordmage use INT for base attacks? i forget... i could check my book but i'm lazy.  I thought forgotten realms or phb2 made the feat to let you use any attribute for them O_o

EDIT:  I am looking at the elven resilient battlemind on the dark sun character sheet.... they do have CON for their basic attacks.

And either the Carrikal (axe) has either +3 proficiency or this elf has weapon expertise (axe)......

These character sheets suck since they don't even list your darn feats >_<

I don't think I could disagree more with your evaluation of the battlemind.  It has the greatest range for a marking power (burst 3 instead of 2), and Mind Spike is easily a match for Combat Challenge because Mind Spike always hits.  High-level elite or solo soldier monsters can sometimes ignore the fighter by virtue of a high AC, but they ignore the battlemind knowing that if they do hit a different PC, they're taking exactly what they give.

The lack of a con-based basic attack is an issue (correctable with a feat), but is offset by the ability to have a 20-con defender at 1st level.  Combine that with the already-mentioned potency of Iron Fist, as well as the Battle Resilience power, and I think that battlemind will give any other defender a run for its money.

The paladin's is a burst 5 to my knowledge.

I already said this in the other thread, but I'm going to repeat it. This sounds like an absolutely horrendous idea, and unless better evidence is shown, I'm going to assume this was completely made up by somebody who had absolutely no idea what they were talking about.

I already said this in the other thread, but I'm going to repeat it. This sounds like an absolutely horrendous idea, and unless better evidence is shown, I'm going to assume this was completely made up by somebody who had absolutely no idea what they were talking about.

Good thing you're not a developer then, because more options are always preferrable as long as they are balanced.

D&D 101: Thematics are mutable.
...because more options are always preferrable as long as they are balanced.

Untrue. The options also need to remain thematically appropriate. They need to make some sort of sense. What that means is that you don't do something just to do it. If the addition of options would not be thematically approrpiate, then it shouldn't be done. They could very easily make a Martial Controller if mechanics were the only concern, but there's not enough thematic incentive to do so. They could very easily make a CON/INT race if mechanics were the only concern, but there has yet to be enough thematic incentive to do so.

It's actually both a thematic and mechanical problem, though. Fluff justification is important for racial features and ability score boosts (which is exactly why only Changelings currently get that sort of options), and nothing that I know about Mul suggest that they are anywhere near as thematically flexible or versatile as Changelings are. Furthermore, that specific set of flexible ability score options presents the mechanical problem of how to deal with the race's NADs, which isn't impossible but is much more complex than it needs to be, especially since there's not enough fluff justification for the dilemma to begin with.

Looks to me the Critical Hits report is either what was actually announced, or the person got to read the full thing.  Which means the bit on Muls is true.

twitter.com/criticalhits
Honestly, I have no idea who or what "criticalhits" is, but if what they report is true (and I remain skeptical), then we better get a damn good thematic reason for why Mul get to do this, because nothing that I know about Mul suggest that this is any better of an idea than giving Elves cold resistance or giving Dwarves racial bow proficiency or giving Halflings aberrant origin. Sure, you can do those things, but that doesn't mean that you should. They're balanced, but balance is not the only concern.

It's just someone tweeting from a seminar, so it's entirely possible they've just misheard or misunderstood something. Maybe what was actually said was that the devs were initially undecided whether Muls should get Str or Wis and that they (the devs) had a choice to make between the two, rather than that the player of a Mul character would get a choice. I can see how someone feverishly tweeting what he's hearing (and therefore only having half his attention on what's actually being said) could make such a mistake.

"My flying carpet is full of elves."