Magic Arcana / Card of the Day / Daily Decks - February, 2010

131 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of magicthegathering.com's Magic Arcana, Card of the Day, and Daily Decks features for the month of February, 2010.
Regarding Walking Atlas - I think it would mean much to the audience of this site if the omission could be explained. This kind of thing didn't happen in a LONG time...
It's pretty cool to see a misprint make it through to production, even though this is a relatively unexciting one.  Back when I started playing, Serendib Efreet was much cooler because of being printed with the wrong color border (I had never seen an Ifh-Biff so that part of the misprint was lost on me).  It makes the game more interesting when this kind of thing happens from time to time.
As a longtime Sligh player, I would just like to point out that the "Worldwake Sligh" deck does not, in fact, have a Sligh curve.  Which is not to say it isn't powerful, merely that it isn't Sligh. 

I also question the wisdom of using 12 lands which will always come into play tapped (and another 4 that might) in a deck that is supposed to be fast and aggressive.
the original sligh, whose entire worth is in its concept of using every mana available every turn, had twice that many 1 drop dudes. considering this is a goblin deck on top of being a sligh deck, i'm really confused by the ommission of goblin guide. it seems like an odd choice to mess with the curve of a deck whose entire basis IS its curve when there's a really good on curve creature that is also in theme.

edit: semi nathed
they just cant play without bloodbraid elf...
or without red
Those 41 cards Intro-Packs are always a disappointment.
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
The Green/Blue one especially. What's with all the Zendikar cards, I want more Worldwake in my intro-pack.
Black is impressive, though, with its 2 rares.
I'm going to go ahead and assume that some day a wizards employee is going to come by and see this (demonstrating my noobness here, I know):
Could we please, please. PLEASE have the decklist viewer use the latest version of a card rather than the oldest (which is apparently what it's doing at the moment)?
I'm going to go ahead and assume that some day a wizards employee is going to come by and see this (demonstrating my noobness here, I know):
Could we please, please. PLEASE have the decklist viewer use the latest version of a card rather than the oldest (which is apparently what it's doing at the moment)?

That is being worked on.

That is being worked on.

Perfect Since that's my only gripe, I have only to say thank you for a fantastic site, then.

I'll hand out a some kudos: I like the way cards popup when you mouseover. The way the card is displayed to the right of a decklist during mouseover is great, particularly with new cards in new theme decks Intro Packs. Worldwake releases online 02/22/2010, less than three weeks away. I'm interested in seeing what 60 card Intro Packs contain!

goliath sphinx? seer's sundial? what a depressing list.

and prodigal pyromancer in rapid fire and not cunning sparkmage? you took an m10 card and put it in this deck where there was a near identical card in worldwake? and it's faster? you deliberately put an older slower card into rapid fire? WHY?
goliath sphinx? seer's sundial? what a depressing list.

and prodigal pyromancer in rapid fire and not cunning sparkmage? you took an m10 card and put it in this deck where there was a near identical card in worldwake? and it's faster? you deliberately put an older slower card into rapid fire? WHY?

Sometimes I think they make the Intro-Packs terrible just to force new players to buy Mythic Rares or spend loads of mana on it just to find out it's still mediocre. So that they buy new Intro-Packs and waste more money on them. See the "how to improve" part of the "Flyover" deck?

The Worldwake set contains more cards that help the "Flyover" deck. [...] Jace, the Mind Sculptor is a planeswalker with mind-altering powers whom you can call to your side. He grinds away your opponent's library and eventually exiles it entirely, making your victory certain.

I laughed pretty hard after reading this. See kids? Buy a 60 dollars card to imrpove your sucky Intro-Pack even though it doesn't fit your strategy!
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
58325628 wrote:
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
57927608 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
baneslayer angel is a great new dude from the sick m10 expansion where there you rule! it would go great in your new flyover mysterious realms deck! sorry about the weird artifact rare that you don't care about but at least you got a big sphinx!
baneslayer angel is a great new dude from the sick m10 expansion where there you rule! it would go great in your new flyover deck! sorry about the weird artifact rare that you don't care about but at least you got a big sphinx!

There's no artifact rare in the Flyover deck...
baneslayer angel is a great new dude from the sick m10 expansion where there you rule! it would go great in your new flyover mysterious realms deck! sorry about the weird artifact rare that you don't care about but at least you got a big sphinx!

There is also that awesome card, Jace, the Mind Sculptor, don't forget. Oh yes, and that other one named... what was the name... Oh, yes! Jace, the Mind Sculptor! This one also can't be out of the deck. Actually, use the Island you've gotten on the stupid booster pack that comes inside your Intro-Pack and add a copy of Jace, the Mind Sculptor to the decks that don't include blue too! This way you will rule because here you rule, ruler!
--->
57817638 wrote:
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
56734518 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
99812049 wrote:
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
82032421 wrote:
56747598 wrote:
56874518 wrote:
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
58325628 wrote:
Doug Beyer:
141434757 wrote:
57927608 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
143229641 wrote:
Dymecoar:
Omega137:
Zigeif777:
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:

thats true,flyover deck can be improved with more cheaper cards,even in the same set like pilgrims eye,quicksand,blue zendikon,admonition angel,calcite snaper.
and if you want to waste money,you better spend in a celestial colonade.

Ajani looks a bit feminine in what appears to be a bridal veil. Is that the Veil in the graphic novel that Liliana Vess is hunting down?

Tezzeret looks like the Autobot matrix of leadership should be popping out of his chest.

I like the Jace art. Looks like he's holding a Booster Pack. Subliminal advertising? "I use Magic brand boosters to get this blue glow, and so should you!"

Garruk I'm not going to comment on.Embarassed

Interesting alternate arts. Rather have these, I think, than the ones in the Garruk vs. Liliana Duel Decks.
The artwork looks way artsy fartsy.
I like the barbarians as the others look like powerrangers.
That style of art just looks bad to me. I can see that indeed the artist has skill, but the style... absolutely horrid for these kinds of characters in my opinion. Some parts look like someone cut a section of the artwork out and put it back in 1/4 inch from where it should be, like Jace's nose. Elspeth's pose is incredibly bad. And what's with the colors of Ajani's clothes? The only one of these I like at all is Liliana Vess and I don't like that the tip of her nose is darkened for no apparent reason.
so who illustrated these planeswalkers?
That style of art just looks bad to me. I can see that indeed the artist has skill, but the style... absolutely horrid for these kinds of characters in my opinion. Some parts look like someone cut a section of the artwork out and put it back in 1/4 inch from where it should be, like Jace's nose. Elspeth's pose is incredibly bad. And what's with the colors of Ajani's clothes?

I couldn't agree more.

Ok the arts look like they all have some kind of haze over them, I guess I like what it does to them: as if they are calling upon some strong and powerful manabond (Zendikar??). But as for Elspeth I have to agree with Cosnirak: what's up with her face? This does make me wonder a bit: Is all of this effect purely due to the technique the artist used or did something go wrong in the translation to digital?
Also: is this link supposed to make this discussion, continue after the worldwake intropack discussion?

I think the artwork is fantastic, myself.  Magic needs more of this sort of artistic interpretation.  I miss artists like Drew Tucker and Richard Kane Ferguson, who pushed the envelope and didn't adhere to such a typical fantasy style.

As for who the artist is, I don't exactly think it's Dave McKean, but it is heavily reminiscent of his style.  For those of you that don't know, McKean is (among other things) the cover artist of the Neil Gaiman comic book masterpiece The SandmanGoogle images has some decent examples.

Whoever the artist is, they have a right to be a bit angry for not even being MENTIONED in this arcana.  For SHAME, Wizards!!!
~Joey Pasco Co-host, Yo! MTG Taps! podcast http://iwantmymtg.com
Is this a joke? They look terrible.

I remember making pics like this in school when I was an infant, by cutting parts out of magazines and sticking them on card with a glue stick.

Congratulations, you've managed to make your planeswalkers look like they have special needs.

You should just get Wayne Reynolds and Greg Staples to do everything.
wow they all really look so bad... SO bad i mean common.. thats just pathetic
Yeah, I also go "eww" at the planeswalker arts. I assume the "collage from bits of magazines" look is deliberate, and, well, I suppose it's a stylistic choice, just not one I like. But as far as I can see there's no excuse for deliberately moving someone's face or hand half its width from where it should be. That's not stylistic, that just makes it look like you can't do anatomy.

I'm sure it's meant to be arty, but so was Damien Hirst's half cow, and I wouldn't want to stare at that. Nor do I want to look at these for any longer than I can help. 
Not a fan of that artwork myself. The guy was definitely channeling Picasso when he did Elspeth...her eyes are near enough both on the same side of her nose!
I'd like to thank-you from the bottom of my fine-art lovin' heart for those images WOTC!

It's so great to see the characters we've come to love - because who doesn't love Planeswalkers - interpretted in a new way.  I love 'flat' style art, I find it gets to the emotional content of things much better than fully rendered, in your face, style art work.  I like to see the evidence of the craft in the final piece.

There's no room for my own vision, or the evidence of the artist in many of the modern Magic Cards.  Here is a guy wielding an axe!  Here is a flying dragon wheeling in the sky!  All of the card imagery ends in an exclamation point(s)...which is fine but when everything is a 10.....10 start to become the new 1 if you know what I mean.  There's nothing wrong with intense action shots, but they don't have to be spelled out in every detail.

I enjoy the art of the magic cards in general, it's at a very high technical level, but I find that overwhellmingly the art style is too realistic, hyper realistic.  It's often suped up Comic book imagery, delinated in every aspect.  One of my favorite artists from the past is Drew Tucker, his water colour art was more suggestive.  It allowed me to interpret the image rather than having it clearly defined it every way.  I also loved picking up a card and having the art have personality.  I think that generally one artist is basically the same as the next amongst your roster.  Some stand out...but mostly we're in different shades of comic realism. 

My favorite modern artist is Rebecca Guay.  Her images are sensitive, quiet and beautiful in a sea of 10's.  Again, my penchant for flat illustrative work is showing here but it's such a breath of fresh air!  Other favorites are:  Scott M Fischer (Pariah!), Nils Hamm, Jaimie Jones (What Atmosphere!),

I particularily like Jace and Garruk from these images with honorable mention to Lilianna.  I think they are the most successful at marrying realism (mostly because they have good proportions) and style. 

I LOVE these IMAGES....there are those of us out there who do!

Anyways...I don't get to talk about Magic art much but thanks for the opportunity!

I enjoy the art of the magic cards in general, it's at a very high technical level, but I find that overwhellmingly the art style is too realistic, hyper realistic.  It's often suped up Comic book imagery, delinated in every aspect.  One of my favorite artists from the past is Drew Tucker, his water colour art was more suggestive.  It allowed me to interpret the image rather than having it clearly defined it every way.  I also loved picking up a card and having the art have personality.  I think that generally one artist is basically the same as the next amongst your roster.  Some stand out...but mostly we're in different shades of comic realism.

There are those really refreshing moments when you meet someone who speaks the words right out of your mouth. This is one of them.

I have to say that I like the style of the new 'walker art- it's daring, colorful, and emotive. Chandra and Garruk look absolutely incredible, and I might have found a new desktop wallpaper! 

However, the actual execution of the work is marred by some real flaws for the other 'walkers; they all seem to have stubby limbs, while Tezz and Liliana have squashed torsoes. The artist seems to have a problem with depth and foreshortening. Oh, and Sarkhan has a mouth to rial Steven Tyler's Laughing 

- because who doesn't love Planeswalkers -

I don't. I hate every single Planeswalker card, for that matter.

I also hated this art. I suppose it's because I don't understand anything about art and those images are really, really nice for people who do (no sarcasm here, I'm serious) so I'm not going to complain. Since I'm totally stupid in what concerns art style I'm not in the position of complaining.
--->
57817638 wrote:
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
56734518 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
99812049 wrote:
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
82032421 wrote:
56747598 wrote:
56874518 wrote:
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
58325628 wrote:
Doug Beyer:
141434757 wrote:
57927608 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
143229641 wrote:
Dymecoar:
Omega137:
Zigeif777:
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
I'd like to thank-you from the bottom of my fine-art lovin' heart for those images WOTC!

It's so great to see the characters we've come to love - because who doesn't love Planeswalkers - interpretted in a new way.  I love 'flat' style art, I find it gets to the emotional content of things much better than fully rendered, in your face, style art work.  I like to see the evidence of the craft in the final piece.

There's no room for my own vision, or the evidence of the artist in many of the modern Magic Cards.  Here is a guy wielding an axe!  Here is a flying dragon wheeling in the sky!  All of the card imagery ends in an exclamation point(s)...which is fine but when everything is a 10.....10 start to become the new 1 if you know what I mean.  There's nothing wrong with intense action shots, but they don't have to be spelled out in every detail.

My favorite modern artist is Rebecca Guay.  Her images are sensitive, quiet and beautiful in a sea of 10's.  Again, my penchant for flat illustrative work is showing here but it's such a breath of fresh air!  Other favorites are:  Scott M Fischer (Pariah!), Nils Hamm, Jaimie Jones (What Atmosphere!),

I particularily like Jace and Garruk from these images with honorable mention to Lilianna.  I think they are the most successful at marrying realism (mostly because they have good proportions) and style. 

I LOVE these IMAGES....there are those of us out there who do!

Anyways...I don't get to talk about Magic art much but thanks for the opportunity!

The neo-walkers have been forced upon magic; just about all of them but jace fail to elicit anything like the emotional pull of the old, convoluted, all-too-human demigods that were the true planeswalkers, most obviously Urza, Teferi, etc. The neo walkers are all, "oh no, they killed my dad," "oh no, those esperites lied to me." Urza had the whole thran cycle and the ****ing brothers' war. You want some ****ing strife for your planeswalker to originate from? The war between urza and his brother turned the latter into an abomination and raped the ****ing planet in the process. In contrast, the neo-walkers are simple, obvious and contrived. That's why this art fails. For such an interpretive depiction to succeed, the subjects would have to be evocative on a symbolic level. And I'm talking more than "oh look at garruk, he has muscles and animal pelts, green mana!!" Where is the character? Where is the storytelling? Where is the mythos?

rebecca guay sucks, by the way. 

Thumbs up: These stood out a mile from all the other artwork on the site. I get so sick of the same old generic fantasy herosim. Most Magic artwork is excellent in itself, but flipping through the cards, they all start to blur into each other. I agree with Posco_Padfoot and scumbling in their assertion that when everything is amped completely up, at all times, it just gets boring. The impressionist bent here was a very nice change of pace. I miss the days when Magic artwork had more room for a variety of styles and tones.

Thumbs down: The proportions and poses were all wrong. Jace's face, especially, looked about three sizes too big for his head. It may seem weird to complain about a lack of realism given what I just said, but subtletly is important in graphics. If you're changing something, it's often more impactful to leave everything else about the image normal, heightening the contrast between the expected and the unexpected.

Thumbs sideways: Some characters suit the chaotic, sketchy style more than others. Personality-wise, Chandra, Ajani, Sarkhan and Tezzeret are all angry and impulsive and the artwork really conveyed that well. But for Elspeth, Jace and Liliana, who are all rather more measured, it seemed out of place imo.

That said, I have to applaud this as an attempt to give the artwork more personality.
rebecca guay sucks, by the way. 

No, no. She doesn't. I don't like her style and I'm not a fan of her pictures but she doesn't suck and you know that. If she did suck, she wouldn't be known and respected as an artist and wouldn't have illustrated 145 Magic cards until today. It's OK that you don't like her style (I don't either) but you can't say she sucks because this is diminishing her work. Shame on you.
--->
57817638 wrote:
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
56734518 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
99812049 wrote:
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
82032421 wrote:
56747598 wrote:
56874518 wrote:
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
58325628 wrote:
Doug Beyer:
141434757 wrote:
57927608 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
143229641 wrote:
Dymecoar:
Omega137:
Zigeif777:
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:

No, no. She doesn't. I don't like her style and I'm not a fan of her pictures but she doesn't suck and you know that. If she did suck, she wouldn't be known and respected as an artist and wouldn't have illustrated 145 Magic cards until today. It's OK that you don't like her style (I don't either) but you can't say she sucks because this is diminishing her work. Shame on you.

This. You don't get to be a Magic artist if you're technically unsound as an artist. I don't like Wayne Reynolds' art, or Carl Critchlow's, but they're still good artists.

However, metalevolence, I do agree with you on the subject of the new walkers lacking in humanity. I enjoyed the artwork today on a visual level, and felt it suited some of the characters as I said, but it didn't really have much emotional impact for me either which is down to the characters themselves, rather than the artist.
as a dude with an art history degree, and also a dude who likes to see a range of styles (and more abstract art) on magic cards, sorry but not thrilled with this. styles like this tend to result in facial expressions and body language that are at odds with the character, scene, or other parts of the image, and can result in absurdity because the face and stance are treated almost as still life rather than as human faces, as if the artist is ignoring the emotional reactions people have to these things (resulting in the constipated look on tezz, for instance). it can de-emotionalize the character for me. i understand the perfectly valid reasons to do this in art, but it seems to be at odds with what we would want from pictures of planeswalkers in a commercial product. i think the style is ill suited to the ultimate purpose of the art (which is to make you super psyched about planeswalkers). now, if this artist were doing cards with pictures of objects, places, or events (pretty much anything but humanlike characters) i would probably be a big fan.

someone mentioned the sandman, i believe, and relevantly one of the final story arcs was almost ruined for me because the artist for that arc (marc hempel) elected to make an artistic statement rather than illustrate the panels with human faces and bodies reacting in any normal way to the story they were in. so you'd have someone saying "hey i'm going to get some milk" and the face would look like he was being tortured to death, and then another panel would have someone saying "i can't believe you murdered my son!" and the face would be looking kind of bored and like it was made out of papier mache. it was especially upsetting because prior to this artist taking the helm, the series had been above and beyond fantastic in the art category, beautifully referencing all kinds of styles and cultures with the art. these don't remind me of mckean as much as hempel, and although they aren't quite that bad, it's a similar experience. i don't feel like these are real people, and i feel like the emotional reaction i'm having to them is skewed and wrong. unless the artist's intention was to make me feel that planeswalkers are kind of silly and/or robots (and tezz isn't the one who feels like a robot).

additionally it looks like garruk is experiencing some...excitement. this is either on purpose (which was uh...kind of a bad call) or the artist is really really stupid or unobservant (bad qualities for an artist). i'm leaning toward the former option, and i have to say, weird call. really weird call.

but all that said, this is really the perfect place to put this art. it's not on a card in a set, and it's in a product that is catering to the more hardcore fan. alternate art is best for these products with a niche audience.
I have to agree completely with Metalevolence in regards to the new planeswalkers. It's nice to see someone else mirroring my sentiments exactly. The awesome thing about the old planeswalkers were that they were demi-gods, they had unbelievable power, and not a single one of them truely knew how to use it, because they were all very human. They all thought they were doing the right thing, they all tried their best to help others out, but 99% of the time they just ended up screwing things up even worse than before. But you liked them (dare I say, loved them?) despite this, because their intentions were so noble!

As for the art, it mostly just makes me laugh. I'm glad they don't put this type of artwork on the cards, because it's just funny, particularly the horrible proportions and the silly expressions that most of them have. I'm pretty sure we caught most of them in the middle of taking a dump.

That said, I'm not against having different art styles utilized on the Magic cards. I do actually agree that the art of Magic cards has become far too uniform and comicy. I did very much like the variety of the older sets, particularly with some of the more abstract representations for spells that wouldn't necessarily have a real world correlation. Illustrating every counter-spell type of card with a guy glowing wildly has gotten kinda dull. Just don't put silly art on the cards, like these pictures are. These are mostly definitely best saved for arty things like the comics.
Luckily I keep CoP: Art on me...
so who illustrated these planeswalkers?

David Hollenbach. I've updated the Arcana to include that.
Sign In to post comments