Wizards of the Coast announcement

There have been several questions lately regarding the future of the Star Wars Miniatures and Roleplaying Game and until now I haven’t had definitive answers to give you. After a lengthy evaluation, Wizards of the Coast has decided not to renew the Star Wars license with Lucasfilm. We’ve had a long and fantastic run, but with the economic downturn, we have made the tough decision to discontinue our Star Wars lines.

The license officially ends in May this year, with WotC product available through August. In the meantime, we have awesome new products still coming your way. This week, we released The Dark Times minis and Galaxy of Intrigue RPG. We’ll have more coming with Masters of the Force minis in April, which will have some of your most favorite characters along with rare creatures from the Dejarik Holochess game that have never appeared in our game. We’ll also release The Unknown Regions RPG in April, which includes entirely new planets and mini-adventures for each world.

We are finishing the line with a bang so look for special programs at your local game store to stock up on favorite sets before they go into the vault. We will continue to support our Star Wars forums on the Wizards Community site so you can reach out and chat with us and other fans.

While I know the news is disappointing, we wanted to make this announcement as soon as possible and thank you for being such great fans. It’s been a fantastic ride with the Star Wars community and working with Lucasfilm. We hope you enjoy the next several months of great products. You never know when we may circle back again!

Greg Yahn

Director of Marketing, Wizards of the Coast

Bummer.

Well, it was good while it lasted.  I just gotta keep my books in good shape!

I wonder how long they'll keep these forums up...
Long enough I suppose. I wouldn't worry too much about it, at least for the next year or so. Don't quote me on that though, I can't handle betting much.
I'm a D&D player and saw this thread previewed from those forums.  I gotta ask:  How will this affect the D&D line?  How bad is this kinda news to the big picture?

/\ Art
Star Wars has never had an effect on the continuation and success of D&D. They are two wholly separate entities, and always will be. Don't worry, D&D isn't going anywhere, just because Star Wars is taking a dive from WotC.
*Cries* Its...its...its because of all those highly vocal online naysayers isn't it? Isn't it!? They prophesied the doom of Saga for some months and the creators looked upon their posts and took it to be the general consesus and opted not to renew the license. One of those self-fullfilling prophecies. You beleive in it, therefore it comes true.

Time to get revenge upon the lot of em'. All ye false prophets be warned! Your time will soon be ended!

*draws lightsaber and charges* Aaaaaauuuuurrrrggghh!

(Twas' but a tongue in cheek post.)
Useful Star Wars Saga Links
Complete Saga Index
Expanded Saga Races PDF
NPC/Encounter Requests Thread
Official Errata Thread
Official FAQ Thread

Personal Contributions: 10,000+ posts and counting!
(The current forum count is a lie!)

Check out my DeviantArt Gallery!

Cheers to that!

*Cries* Its...its...its because of all those highly vocal online naysayers isn't it? Isn't it!? They prophesied the doom of Saga for some months and the creators looked upon their posts and took it to be the general consesus and opted not to renew the license. One of those self-fullfilling prophecies. You beleive in it, therefore it comes true.

Time to get revenge upon the lot of em'. All ye false prophets be warned! Your time will soon be ended!

*draws lightsaber and charges* Aaaaaauuuuurrrrggghh!

(Twas' but a tongue in cheek post.)

*watches you trip and fall on your own lightsaber*

We will continue to support our Star Wars forums on the Wizards Community site so you can reach out and chat with us and other fans.

Greg Yahn

be interesting to see what that means,if it ever comes time to do a forum reorginzation and what it means in regards to the updating of the VCL program....

ThorvaldHafgrimsson wrote:
Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
But then you have to pay the liability insurance.
A note about character and world creation
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
Why doesnt anyone ever sig my qoutes!?
On the subject of who post in the Off-Topic Tavern:
57131438 wrote:
most of them are bored, immature adults.
Offical troller of the House of Trolls

Aye, now it is official.

I'll say thank you for an official notice although I am also disheartened by the news.  Although it will be painful here on the RPG side it must be devestating to the Mini side which seems to need the shot in the arm to keep going.  With Unknown Regions being the last SAGA book I'd expect discussion here could continue on until about June but by that time the questions will be asked and settled at least once and with nothing new coming around things will fade away.  Perhaps another company will take up the blade but it still will not be the same.

On the positive side, if {or when} SWRPG gets picked up again, new designers means new ideas, and fresh prospects. Can't argue with that.

I hope the SW mechanics live on in a future WoTC RPG in some way.

Fear is the Mind Killer

So is Unknown Regions all complete and finished, or are people going to start hammering and clamoring for certain things to be included and see print while they can?

REALLY hope UR ends up being a terribly awesome book with a little of what everyone loves to see (and I don't just mean force powers and talents).

Doing the math, if they'd stuck to the one book every other month, there could have been another one released in May (when the license ends) if UR were slated for March.

Oh well >,.< 
I want Saga's system to at least survive.

And I definitely don't want Lucas taking the lisense else where. Wizards even in it's first incarnation of Star Wars d20, was infinitely better than that train wreck that came before it.

Wherever you go Star wars, I most likely won't follow. Saga's one of the best systems I've ever had the privilege of playing.
http://guild.medialoungeca.com/index.php?action=forum The Guild I'm apart of. We're in WOW, STO, Rift and soon Star Wars feel free to register and hang out. http://sparkster11.deviantart.com/ my deviantart Wheelman of the House of Trolls, "I love it when you watch" Carrier of Section 2, 3 and 6 cargo. Resident Driver Stud God of Transportation and Lust.
Saga's one of the best systems I've ever had the privilege of playing.

QFT. Excellent!
Star Wars licence must be incredibly expensive ...

If WotC doesn't pick it up for a RPG I doubt anyone else will any time soon.

There have been several questions lately regarding the future of the Star Wars Miniatures and Roleplaying Game and until now I haven’t had definitive answers to give you. After a lengthy evaluation, Wizards of the Coast has decided not to renew the Star Wars license with Lucasfilm. We’ve had a long and fantastic run, but with the economic downturn, we have made the tough decision to discontinue our Star Wars lines.

The license officially ends in May this year, with WotC product available through August. In the meantime, we have awesome new products still coming your way. This week, we released The Dark Times minis and Galaxy of Intrigue RPG. We’ll have more coming with Masters of the Force minis in April, which will have some of your most favorite characters along with rare creatures from the Dejarik Holochess game that have never appeared in our game. We’ll also release The Unknown Regions RPG in April, which includes entirely new planets and mini-adventures for each world.

We are finishing the line with a bang so look for special programs at your local game store to stock up on favorite sets before they go into the vault. We will continue to support our Star Wars forums on the Wizards Community site so you can reach out and chat with us and other fans.

While I know the news is disappointing, we wanted to make this announcement as soon as possible and thank you for being such great fans. It’s been a fantastic ride with the Star Wars community and working with Lucasfilm. We hope you enjoy the next several months of great products. You never know when we may circle back again!

Greg Yahn

First off, I'm extremely disappointed in Wizards of the Coast for this announcement, but I would like to thank them for a decade of putting out good RPG products for 2.5 editions of the game.

There were times that I felt that WotC wasn't handling the RPG right, especially in the long gap between the Revised rules and Saga, and the focus on the miniatures game that never really appealed to me save for having figures for the RPG was maddening to me.  I do think that the company really dropped the ball at times, and that this is another of those times.

I guess it's time to go on a downloading spree, and I suggest that the rest of the people reading this post do the same.  Grab every single article on the website and make sure they're completely backed up.  I'd hate to lose the fine web material produced for the game.

Thanks for the good, Wizards of the Coast, and a sarcastic thanks for the bad.
I am saddened by the news. However, Saga is still one of the best game systems I have ever purchased or played. I will certainly continue to use it to build the Land of Nod. I can't think of any better system with which to built my own sci-fi games. So, thank you for providing me with an amazing, and virtually complete, game system. Hopefully we, the community, can keep this game alive with our posts and homebrew material.

This will be a day long remembered.....

I'd like to add my thanks to all those involved in the development of this RPG line, I didn't personally get on with SAGA but the new material has kept the interest going and for that I am grateful.  So good luck to all involved and just because this is the end of the official books it doesn't mean the end of new material, the WEG version is still going strong even after all these years.

I do hope that someone picks up the reigns but maybe not for a few years as I couldn't cope with more books filed with reprinted info Wink

We all knew it wouldn't last.  For those going bonkers, take a chill pill.  Let us be thankful for what we have and let us show gratitude for those who gave it to us.  At least they're publishing Unknown Regions, which with the other books gives us a complete set for playing.  Yeah, it would have been nice if a couple of more books detailing races, planets, and non-spaceship-craft were put out, but that is the reality we must deal with.

So thank you WoTC for giving us SAGA.

I'm sorry, but a blackhole ate my Death Star. Check out my Eve of Destruction campaign page Check out my Eve of Destruction campaign wiki Check out pukunui's Absolute Dawn (DoD) campaign log
This is dis-heartening.  But in a small way, I'm kind of relieved.  LOL... with over a dozen good books, I know I've got enough material to run Saga in perpetuity.    I'm also glad we didn't get the proponderance of books that leads to conflicting and non-meshing rules that lead to "system implosion" - which we've seen with *other* systems. 

I want to thank WotC - and especially Rodney Thompson - for creating such a wonderful system!  With such strong communities as have grown up around this game, I don't see Saga play slackening any time soon. 

From a personal note, I've already gotten half a dozen PMs on these boards asking what will become of the order 66 podcast.  The answer?  Nothing.    There's enough material and great stuff to talk about that will keep the 'cast going for some time.  It won't stop RavingDork from creating great scenarios and characters, it won't stop CyberDave from creating awesome settings, or RobShanti from building scratch-sourcebooks of awesome.   

When I first heard, a friend emailed me saying, simply, "Saga is dead."

My response to him:  "LONG LIVE SAGA!!!!" 
GM Chris Host, Order 66 Podcast http://www.d20radio.com You know what they say: "Give a PC a fish, and he'll try to sell it for half value. Teach a PC to fish, and he'll show up at the next session with The Complete Fisherman, and will be dual-wielding fly-rods." Peace, Love, and Good Gaming!

Aye, now it is official.

I'll say thank you for an official notice although I am also disheartened by the news.  Although it will be painful here on the RPG side it must be devestating to the Mini side which seems to need the shot in the arm to keep going.

I doen't look all that devastaing from what i've seen..they've already had the forsight to get some plans laid out and ready to go...

Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
57131438 wrote:
Most unfortunate.

Saga is by far the best RPG I have ever played.  Thanks Rodney and crew.
Oh no, my young Jedi. You will find that it is you who are mistaken, about a great many things. Winner of the Winner of You Build the Character #34: Padme Amidala
Ok, now that the news is given, this seems like a prime time to post my idea. Many of us have been desperate for a New Jedi Order Campaign Guide. So instead of me begging WoTC for it, I'm going to do it...why do I see sceptics in the crowd? Not alone. I'm going to need lots and lots of community help. PM me if your interested. Also we need knowledge about copyrights, and whether free fan made campaign guides are going to get our **** sued? After that question is answered the plan can be put together.
At first I thought it was just someone creating a new account to mess people up, until I saw that small 'W' under the avatar pic that means 'Staff', oh well, it was fun all around. I just hope that after Unknown Regions is released we may still have support for a month or two so any clarification or errata needed will be printed.
"God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players,* to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time. --- * i.e., everybody." When it comes to continuity, Darth Flannel is as dependable and consistent as, um ... um ... um ... well ... okay, how about this: When it comes to shanking continuity in his own universe, Darth Flannel is as dependable and consistent as death and taxes. - by DarthPancake
I am saddened by the news. However, Saga is still one of the best game systems I have ever purchased or played. I will certainly continue to use it to build the Land of Nod. I can't think of any better system with which to built my own sci-fi games. So, thank you for providing me with an amazing, and virtually complete, game system. Hopefully we, the community, can keep this game alive with our posts and homebrew material.

time to get ready to use your body to block any future forum deletion

NastasiaLorn; wrote:
Show
57949688 wrote:
57131438 wrote:
To WotC: thank you for the good times, memories with my friends, helping me make new ones, and delivering two great products I have enjoyed for years; Star Wars Miniatures and SW Saga Edition.  From a business prespective, I understand completely the decision, it comes down to money and Lucasfilm is expensive.

To the Posters: we have TONS, nigh unlimited potential in the products we do have.  Nothing ends as long as you don't let it.  You can still play both games, try new things and laugh, imagine, and live with your friends forever.  These are games we can pass down to children and grandchildren, nieces and nephews.  It doesn't have to end.

To the Cantina Rats: we ain't done yet!  The Show Must Go On!
Exceedingly Yours! GM Brev www.d20radio.com Co-Host of MINIS MAYHAM & CINEMATIC ATTIC "You like me because I'm a scoundrel."
well at lest they told us this time unlike with d20 *kicks the ground* its been fun
I think Lucas being expensive is a bit of an understatement.
I must say: this is disappointing but not in the least surprising. The signs have been there for some time. It's sad because I think there was potential for more but it's also something of a relief to know that we finally have some certainty not to mention a "finished" product.

Thanks very much for the awesome game, WotC! Long live Saga!

We will continue to support our Star Wars forums on the Wizards Community site so you can reach out and chat with us and other fans.

be interesting to see what that means,if it ever comes time to do a forum reorginzation and what it means in regards to the updating of the VCL program....

FWIW, there are still forums for people to discuss 3.5. Heck, there's even still a forum for people to discuss 2e!

I hope the SW mechanics live on in a future WoTC RPG in some way.

This. Hopefully GM Sarli will be able to get his e20 system off the ground, too.

"Patience is the calm acceptance that things can happen in a different order than the one you have in mind."

~ David G. Allen

While I am saddened by this news, at least we have an excellent collection of books which can keep us playing for years to come. I'm actually kind of happy that the line will be "complete" after UR so don't have to download a new index every couple of months.

OTOH, I'm kind of disappointed with the minis line ending. There are so many species we don't have ANY minis for and others for which we only have 1 or 2. While I kind of doubt it, I'd love for Masters of the Force to be nothing but 1 male and 1 female of every species in the SECR.

(crosses fingers that Hasbro does some "minis" as part of their regular SW toy line.)
Guys, I love you all!

Bye!

Babs.
Bad news: only one more (hopefully kick-ass 224 pages in UR) book

Good news: I only have to index one more book...

This is the best game system I've ever seen.

SAT
This is the best game system I've ever seen.

+1 QFT FTW!!

"Patience is the calm acceptance that things can happen in a different order than the one you have in mind."

~ David G. Allen

Well, WEG  losing the Star Wars license was my first (and worst) rpg heartbreak, so I'm a little jaded this time around Wink. Still, Saga is a great system, and I'll always enjoy my books and minis, whether or not I get to play again.

Thank you for everything, Rodney and company! Smile 

72ccb3a99f297b7624ecac31e26f7921.png?v=33480
Star Wars: Tapestry
 - a play-by-post campaign for everyone... good OR evil!

Ok, now that the news is given, this seems like a prime time to post my idea. Many of us have been desperate for a New Jedi Order Campaign Guide. So instead of me begging WoTC for it, I'm going to do it...why do I see sceptics in the crowd? Not alone. I'm going to need lots and lots of community help. PM me if your interested. Also we need knowledge about copyrights, and whether free fan made campaign guides are going to get our **** sued? After that question is answered the plan can be put together.

Darth Scorpion & I have pretty much done one already, we just haven't formatted it.
While I was hoping that the era would get some official love before the line finished, I didn't exactly need it.
It's morphin time! ...Oh wait, wrong universe. Now where did I put my lightsabre? Winner of "You Build the Character 16 - Wedge Antilles" and "You Make the ... Contest 3 - Elite Forces"
I'm happy with Wizards for making an official announcement. At least the speculation is over.

I'd also like to thank Wizards for 10 YEARS of awesome Star Wars RP!!! Chris Perkins, Bill Slavicsek, Andy Collins, JD Wiker, Owen KC Stephens, Gary Sarli, and of course, our beloved Rodney Thompson... they should all be commended!

Darth Scorpion & I have pretty much done one already, we just haven't formatted it.
While I was hoping that the era would get some official love before the line finished, I didn't exactly need it.

With official support ending it actually opens the door to this sort of final rounding out of what is wanted by the people who know the game best--the players. the mini players are already looking ahead to having the last set produced so that they can look over all the stats and tweak the pieces that need it. As seen above, the same is true for the rpg. Mapmaker is planning on making more maps. I'm planning on continuing my projects and will be able to start more. The statement that they will keep the forums going is a great sign that the community will be going on long after the official products stop.

CLICK ON THE ICONS TO GET MORE INFORMATION

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

FWIW, there are still forums for people to discuss 3.5. Heck, there's even still a forum for people to discuss 2e!

Well,those are two of thire core products D&D,so it kindia makes sense that they would still be around,I know i and a number of others have fought hard and long to keep the d20 modern forum still here,since everytime a reorginzation comes up,some one always wants to shut us down. With the majority of the mins planning to or already doing stuff off site, I predict that a few months after the lest set that place will be a ghost town,but for the RPG side of things,its a bit harder to guess since there really aren't any big name sites like there are for the Minis.

Taking the d20 modern forums as an example, as long as theres a "hardcore" group of forumers who refuse to let the forum be detled,then yes it will live and it will help to have someone to stand behind, like in my case I was for all intents and purposes the micophone for the d20 modern forums, I posted in everysinlge thread that dicussed any type of forum reorg about how the d20 modern needed its forums.

As long as we have someone fighting for us,then I think we'll do fine.

NastasiaLorn; wrote:
Show
57949688 wrote:
57131438 wrote:
Well, if we do lose the WotC SWSE forums, we can all just move on over to the d20 Radio forums instead.

~ David G. Allen