Wizards of the Coast announcement

There have been several questions lately regarding the future of the Star Wars Miniatures and Roleplaying Game and until now I haven’t had definitive answers to give you.  After a lengthy evaluation, Wizards of the Coast has decided not to renew the Star Wars license with Lucasfilm. We’ve had a long and fantastic run, but with the economic downturn, we have made the tough decision to discontinue our Star Wars lines.

The license officially ends in May this year, with WotC product available through August. In the meantime, we have awesome new products still coming your way. This week, we released The Dark Times minis and Galaxy of Intrigue RPG. We’ll have more coming with Masters of the Force minis in April, which will have some of your most favorite characters along with rare creatures from the Dejarik Holochess game that have never appeared in our game. We’ll also release The Unknown Regions RPG in April, which includes entirely new planets and mini-adventures for each world.

We are finishing the line with a bang so look for special programs at your local game store to stock up on favorite sets before they go into the vault. We will continue to support our Star Wars forums on the Wizards Community site so you can reach out and chat with us and other fans.

While I know the news is disappointing, we wanted to make this announcement as soon as possible and thank you for being such great fans. It’s been a fantastic ride with the Star Wars community and working with Lucasfilm. We hope you enjoy the next several months of great products. You never know when we may circle back again!

Greg Yahn

Director of Marketing, Wizards of the Coast

Of course SW is awesome.....but.....WotC doesn't produce it anymore.  

So, they could just an inhouse product to pimp next.

Anyone heard any rumors as to who's taking over the SW franchise? 
I have heard that a Russian company has purchased the rights to the SW License, but no oficial announcement has been made, and there's no telling what they'll do with the license now that they have it, anyways.
I have heard that a Russian company has purchased the rights to the SW License, but no oficial announcement has been made, and there's no telling what they'll do with the license now that they have it, anyways.

Sputnik-1l.jpg

"He's heading for that small moon."

"That's no moon, that's..."

72ccb3a99f297b7624ecac31e26f7921.png?v=33480
Star Wars: Tapestry
 - a play-by-post campaign for everyone... good OR evil!

Imperial probe droid, early model, I would guess.  Perhaps left over from the Clone Wars.  
Well, I bought some of these miniatures a while ago, but stopped because I had no one to play with. I still have them, though, and I think they're awesome. Only good one I have is Darth Bane, though.

So recently I went out to see if they still existed. Turns out they don't. And this is why. That's sad. 
The Pony Co. Because none of us are as loving as all of us.
Contact info
In case contacting me over the forums is not possible for some reason or another, my email is morten.c.k.olsen@gmail.com. Please state who you are, because I will most likely end up ignoring people that I don't know at least somewhat.
Alwaaaaays, I wanna be with you!
56287226 wrote:
58331438 wrote:
You clearly overestimate my cognitive skills by assuming that I could have accumulated that knowledge independently.
Okay, I'll be sure not to make that kind of assumption in the future. Now, if you'd like to go back to the main Magic General 'forum' page (that's the one that lists all the different 'discussion threads' that people have 'posted') from this page, just press the up-arrow key on your keyboard until you reach the top of the page, then click the link that says "Magic General"--it should be in fairly small font, just above the buttons labeled "Post Reply" and "Subscribe" and the box labeled "Jump Menu", but below the blue link labeled "Preferences". It'll be in a line with a number of other small-font links with different names. From the 'forum' page you will be able to select another 'thread' to view; 'threads' that people have 'posted' to since you last looked at them will have their names listed in bold font and have the number of unread replies listed just to the right of the name. If you click that unread replies number, it will take you right to the last reply you viewed in the 'thread' so that you can continue reading all the new replies from there. To get back to the main Magic General 'forum' page, just repeat the process from the previous paragraph--don't worry if you're on a different page, all 'thread' pages will have the same basic layout, so it should work exactly the same on any page in the Magic General 'forum'.\ And remember, if you accidentally click on the wrong link and find yourself on a page you're not familiar with, there's no need to panic; you can always press the 'back' button in your browser to go back to whatever you were looking at before. It should be on the left-hand side near the top of the screen, just below the menu bar, and will probably have a picture of some kind of arrow pointing to the left on it. Hope that helps!
56957928 wrote:
56914748 wrote:
The explanation given was that since land cards represent mystical bonds to far-off places rather than actual tangible things like creatures and other permanents, a person might have more than one memory of an area, or different mages could forge a bond to different parts of a place, etc. and that simply being a unique location doesn't necessarily mean that a land card has to be legendary.
"I remember my days as a schoolboy at the Tolarian Academy..." "Really? I went there too-" "Wait don't- Well ****, there goes my childhood."
56816728 wrote:
I was clearly wrong about Dragon_Whelp, he clearly is a jerk.
57471038 wrote:
Allow me to extrapolate—regular game play, as defined by WotC, is tournament play. As such, Casual, EDH, Planechase, and all that other stuff is irregular Magic; if Magic at all. So the next time someone says Competitive Constructed decks are not the only decks that count in Constructed (Casual Constructed), then I can gleefully point to the definition set forth by WotC and say that Competitive Constructed is in deed the only ones that count, and that they are playing some irregular form of Magic.
56792158 wrote:
Dragon, just don't argue with Hovercraft. He's his own Legacy metagame.
57471038 wrote:
One with Nothing is the third iteration in an attempt to make Black Lotus fair: Black Lotus: That's too good, we need to tone it down. Lion's Eye Diamond: Dammit, players are still using it in a very broken manner! One with Nothing: Alright! We got it now.
Twin2;15476002 wrote:
What happened to the really fun cards? Well you see a long long time ago the earth was ruled by dinosaurs. They were big so not a lot of people went around hassling them. Then a giant meteorite struck the earth, good bye dinosaurs. But what if the dinosaurs weren't all destroyed? What if the impact of that meteorite created a parallel dimension where the dinosaurs continue to thrive and evolve into intelligent vicious aggressive beings? What if they found a way back? ....wait that's not what happened to the fun cards that's the intro to the mario brothers movie. Get those two confused all the time, my bad.
56981618 wrote:
It's a folllow-up on the Priceless Treasures, Deadly Perils idea. See, what happened was, you got the packs that the Eldrazi had already gotten to--the had annihilated everything but the land itself. In fall, expect to open some packs and find cards covered in goopy, black oil. It's all about the marketing angle, people.
don't get too sad, there is still lots of playing to be had! check out what is going on at bloomlik or swmgamers.com

So I'm working on an article for this week and was just double checking how the SW line was going. I boycotted when Decipher and WEG lost the rights to WotC, but only after giving WotC a change with testing the CCG and RPG. We all know what happened to the CCG as how it was DOA because none of the old players wanted to switch over, but the Minis line seemed nice as I could keep playing old school with them. The almost nine year run was impressive, but I'm kind of happy that the rights have been freed up again. I know a lot of you reading this might think I'm kicking you all in the teeth. I'm not a WotC hater and am a big fan of Magic, but I really miss my old games as I'm sure all you must be as well. I'm sorry for all of you that fell in love with these games that have gone away. May the force be with you.
Minis players are still chugging along creating their own new sets as mentioned above over at bloomilk and SWMGamers.  
Revamp for the sake of revamp? That always works out well.
So I'm working on an article for this week and was just double checking how the SW line was going. I boycotted when Decipher and WEG lost the rights to WotC, but only after giving WotC a change with testing the CCG and RPG. We all know what happened to the CCG as how it was DOA because none of the old players wanted to switch over, but the Minis line seemed nice as I could keep playing old school with them. The almost nine year run was impressive, but I'm kind of happy that the rights have been freed up again. I know a lot of you reading this might think I'm kicking you all in the teeth. I'm not a WotC hater and am a big fan of Magic, but I really miss my old games as I'm sure all you must be as well. I'm sorry for all of you that fell in love with these games that have gone away. May the force be with you.

FYI: If you hadn't heard, the minis license was picked up a while back by Fantasy Flight Games.
IMAGE(http://home.comcast.net/~jps201/mst3k_files/ms_seats.gif) "An opinion is not a right to be express whenever it is false/incorrect/a lie." -LOL
Sign In to post comments