Wizards of the Coast announcement

There have been several questions lately regarding the future of the Star Wars Miniatures and Roleplaying Game and until now I haven’t had definitive answers to give you.  After a lengthy evaluation, Wizards of the Coast has decided not to renew the Star Wars license with Lucasfilm. We’ve had a long and fantastic run, but with the economic downturn, we have made the tough decision to discontinue our Star Wars lines.

The license officially ends in May this year, with WotC product available through August. In the meantime, we have awesome new products still coming your way. This week, we released The Dark Times minis and Galaxy of Intrigue RPG. We’ll have more coming with Masters of the Force minis in April, which will have some of your most favorite characters along with rare creatures from the Dejarik Holochess game that have never appeared in our game. We’ll also release The Unknown Regions RPG in April, which includes entirely new planets and mini-adventures for each world.

We are finishing the line with a bang so look for special programs at your local game store to stock up on favorite sets before they go into the vault. We will continue to support our Star Wars forums on the Wizards Community site so you can reach out and chat with us and other fans.

While I know the news is disappointing, we wanted to make this announcement as soon as possible and thank you for being such great fans. It’s been a fantastic ride with the Star Wars community and working with Lucasfilm. We hope you enjoy the next several months of great products. You never know when we may circle back again!

Greg Yahn

Director of Marketing, Wizards of the Coast

Oh man...its official....I wonder if some other company will pick up the license and fill our need for minis?

i appreciate you making the announcement.  sad to hear it but at least we can stop speculating.

Minis & SAGA had a great run, best to end while the getting is good and the enjoyment is high. Thanks WotC, I've enjoyed myself immensely over the last several years with your Star Wars products! Excellent.

I hope someone carries it on... DT was my first case ever and I was loving it. This will probably make it harder to collect the VRs now.
sad times, sad times.
Well, atleast there's official confirmation now... thanks for that.

SoonToBeOld...
Shortened for your sanity until BBCode/Sblocks are readded.
56896968 wrote:
You know, in general I really love people who play Star Wars Minis. You could almost call them "Star Wars Minis Gamers." I'm just saying.
By the way, stop posting right before I hit "Post..."! YodaRulzTheStarWarsUniverse
I hope someone carries it on... DT was my first case ever and I was loving it. This will probably make it harder to collect the VRs now.

for the short term it'll make it easier.  some people that only used the minis for skirmish games will sell/trade their whole collections on ebay or to resellers.  that's what happened with d&d minis. 

it's now official... coming may, i will no longer be a customer of WOTC for the first time in 15 years.  first they changed my DDM and then dropped it, then 3rd edition was canned and i don't like 4th, now SWM/Saga RPG is going away.  considering that i don't play CCGs, they won't really be offering anything to me come may.
Oh man...its official....I wonder if some other company will pick up the license and fill our need for minis?

I think Lucas would be idiotic to continue the SWM game.  It's a goldmine they could delve into without all the licensing issues Wizos had. 

If Star Wars doesn't simply take on SWM, I think some other company will.  I must say I'm not surprised by this announcement.  The writing has been on the wall for some time now.

for the short term it'll make it easier.  some people that only used the minis for skirmish games will sell/trade their whole collections on ebay or to resellers.  that's what happened with d&d minis.

There will probably be a dumping of minis very soon (if not now, in the near future).  I would think the prices would drop.  But you never know.  This is a Star Wars collectible game.  There should be some value to the pieces.

There will probably be a dumping of minis very soon (if not now, in the near future).  I would think the prices would drop.  But you never know.  This is a Star Wars collectable game.  There should be some value to the pieces.

Yeah, NOW I might agree with you that eBay is less likely the place to go now.Wink As soon as I saw the title of this thread, I knew what was coming. But kudos to Wizards actually announcing it before the last set comes out. Still sad though.
Do you want to help advance the game when Wizards pulls the plug? Go Here: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75862/22337613/Minis_YOU_want_to_see:_The_first_step - - -
Could someone else even pick it up?  I know that this happened with another miniature game recently, but the new company bought the mechanics to the game as well as the license.  Would another company have to buy the mechanics from WotC for the skirmish game in addition to the license?  Would WotC even want to sell the rights to the mechanics?  If it isn't economically feasible for WotC, is it really going to be feasible for another company?  Let the speculation begin.

There will probably be a dumping of minis very soon (if not now, in the near future).  I would think the prices would drop.  But you never know.  This is a Star Wars collectable game.  There should be some value to the pieces.

Yeah, NOW I might agree with you that eBay is less likely the place to go now. As soon as I saw the title of this thread, I knew what was coming. But kudos to Wizards actually announcing it before the last set comes out. Still sad though.

I'm finding a lot of irony now considering the discussion we had.  I think the market in general will drop.  The online sellers will pick up on this too.  It's really a lose-lose for those selling minis now.  Great for those looking to complete collections.

We will continue to support our Star Wars forums on the Wizards Community site so you can reach out and chat with us and other fans.

Greg Yahn

Director of Marketing, Wizards of the Coast

With the number of fan sites out there mainly those being bloomilk and Gamers, does WotC really expect to keep the numbers here,to keep a forum?

ThorvaldHafgrimsson wrote:
Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
But then you have to pay the liability insurance.
A note about character and world creation
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
Why doesnt anyone ever sig my qoutes!?
On the subject of who post in the Off-Topic Tavern:
57131438 wrote:
most of them are bored, immature adults.
Offical troller of the House of Trolls

Well, color me saddened. Oh well, Monpoc it is then after April. I will never get rid of these minis though.

Well, I must applaud the announcement.  I would have bet all my money that Wizards would have waited to say this until they leeched out every penny of MOTF they could first.  Nice job for doing the right thing.  Talk about the irony though, to announce this in the heels of releasing a set called "Dark Times" lol
Damnit.
IMAGE(http://www.lusogamer.com/live/green/gamercard_gamerbar/EmporerDragon.png)
This is a shame

There will probably be a dumping of minis very soon (if not now, in the near future).  I would think the prices would drop.  But you never know.  This is a Star Wars collectible game.  There should be some value to the pieces.

for a little while they will go up actualy because of the announcement people will start charging more for the (Rare) star wars miniatures sets and figures. And when people start dumping them they will go down in price. Give it a year or so and they will shoot up again. 

My biggest question is will it be supported at Gen con this year or not. Its the only game i play at Gen con for the most part and i would like to know.
I was gonna take post 600 of mine to say
Show
" OMG The game is dying sell all your s*** before it's too late!"

But, all I can really say is that I don't care that Motf is the last set, I will still buy and likely finish out the pieces that I still want (but I will never get CotF Malak if I can help it).

PS:

I wonder if I can use the old "OMG THIS GAME IS NOW OUT OF PRINT GET IT WHILE IT'S STILL AVAILABLE!" pitch if I want to sell on eBay.Money mouth
Do you want to help advance the game when Wizards pulls the plug? Go Here: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75862/22337613/Minis_YOU_want_to_see:_The_first_step - - -
Damnit.

Hilarious. Best post of the week, seriously.
Remember people, after the "Dark Times" there was a new hope.
Remember people, after the "Dark Times" there was a new hope.

lol wow never thought of it that way.
As far as the community and the forums are concerned I think that it goes without argument that we are the best gamers and fans out of any other game so even without new product the community will continue.

I'm glad that WotC made the announcement before the last product was released because it does show that they care about the community of gamers. This gives everyone time to make preparations for the future. 

CLICK ON THE ICONS TO GET MORE INFORMATION

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

As far as the community and the forums are concerned I think that it goes without argument that we are the best gamers and fans out of any other game so even without new product the community will continue.

I'm glad that WotC made the announcement before the last product was released because it does show that they care about the community of gamers. This gives everyone time to make preparations for the future. 

Yeah, I think this game has great fan support.  So maybe a few stat redos? :P

Few stat redo's, you mean when does a Playeer Committie Start Working on a virtual card set for release late this year?

But will that community continue here,or will it shift its page views elsewhere..only time will tell..

Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
57131438 wrote:

It's a possibility. We might see a player committee and virtual minis in the future (like how the CCG was handled).
IMAGE(http://www.lusogamer.com/live/green/gamercard_gamerbar/EmporerDragon.png)
The community is strong and I know Dean Miller has been working on this for awhile now.  I am sure he will be along shortly to make an announcement of his own.  I know the next priority it to lock down the events at GENCON.  Which I am sure will happen.
Whats the reason for dropping the licence? To expensive maybe? But on the other side... i cant imagine that a company has such a lack of competence not to make a lot of money with a brand like Star Wars.

I would like to see the last set come out, get a complete evaluation of all pieces from the start, and then get a list of all the proposed changes/corrections to the figs and rules of the entire game and then see the community create a master book of all the rules with errata and corrections, all the powers, abilities and CEs with corrections, and then maybe key revampings of certain pieces to bring them to the same level as the rest of the pieces. Just an idea.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

It's a possibility. We might see a player committee and virtual minis in the future (like how the CCG was handled).

I'm betting that those plans are are already in place and jsut need to be dusted off......

NastasiaLorn; wrote:
Show
57949688 wrote:
57131438 wrote:

I'd be all over that.  Just use existing miniatures.  A lot of RS miniatures could be prime candidates.  Heck, Carth could have decent stats :P.

I jsut hope it's more subtle than SWCCG was. I don't think the volunteers, well-intended as they were, had enough time to go over what all those radical changes did for balance.

I would like to see the last set come out, get a complete evaluation of all pieces from the start, and then get a list of all the proposed changes/corrections to the figs and rules of the entire game and then see the community create a master book of all the rules with errata and corrections, all the powers, abilities and CEs with corrections, and then maybe key revampings of certain pieces to bring them to the same level as the rest of the pieces. Just an idea.

I think that would be a great idea and could in many way revitalize older pieces, i Imagine that it would be a pretty large undertaking.
ok here is the long and the short of it.

Folks we knew in our hearts this was coming.  So it is here.  Swmgamers has been looking into this eventuallity.

So here is the deal.  As of now Organized Play (which was handled by Jim last year ) will continue on with Gamers providing the means if necessary.  That means Regionals and Gencon will be taken care of.  I cannot go into specifics right at this moment.

I will continue to update and look at the Floor Rules and at the point the game is dead I am planning on looking into adding our many custom maps into the list.

Gamers is prepared to do what is necessary to keep the community together.  Guys lets now more than ever work as a community to continue enjoying our game. 

If any of you are aware of the Decipher Community's work on their CCG then you will understand Gamers is preparing to do the same.

I hate to hear this but we knew it could happen and we knew it would be sooner than later.

We are going to look at doing virtual custom sets and already have some folks looking into doing this.

If DCI fails us, as I expect it will shortly, we have already began to get a event reporting software made.

I can promise the community this.  There will be no noticable drop off at Gencon or the Regionals this year.  If the community will stick together we can ride this thing out until maybe another company or Hasbro decides they want it.
team revan Collection: 801/801 SWM DCI Content Manager sith holonews network
ok here is the long and the short of it.

Folks we knew in our hearts this was coming.  So it is here.  Swmgamers has been looking into this eventuallity.

So here is the deal.  As of now Organized Play (which was handled by Jim last year ) will continue on with Gamers providing the means if necessary.  That means Regionals and Gencon will be taken care of.  I cannot go into specifics right at this moment.

I will continue to update and look at the Floor Rules and at the point the game is dead I am planning on looking into adding our many custom maps into the list.

Gamers is prepared to do what is necessary to keep the community together.  Guys lets now more than ever work as a community to continue enjoying our game. 

If any of you are aware of the Decipher Community's work on their CCG then you will understand Gamers is preparing to do the same.

I hate to hear this but we knew it could happen and we knew it would be sooner than later.

Thanks Dean!
It is sad to see the game go but who knows what will happen in the future
I will continue to play for as long as people will play against me (so a long time as my wife plays also).
Well put Dean.

Something that stood out in the OP was this line--

"We will continue to support our Star Wars forums on the Wizards Community site so you can reach out and chat with us and other fans."

If we have been given eight months notice before the end of the product line then I expect the forums here to be around for quite a while. 

If we have been given eight months notice before the end of the product line then I expect the forums here to be around for quite a while. 

Exactly. No need to panic just yet.
Sign In to post comments